1992 Peak Pro Circuit CR125 Build

chuckdavies
3/14/2017 12:35pm
A customer of mine has an actual peak bike (according to him - which I trust forgive the seat he has the correct one in a...
A customer of mine has an actual peak bike (according to him - which I trust forgive the seat he has the correct one in a box), of which we have gone through and completely freshened and restored. It needed a cylinder so he found a new one and somehow got mitch to do it and the head along with a piston they used at the time, it took over a year to get back.

The pipe is a new pc of which I am sure isn't correct to the actual race bikes. After a little tuning on the dyno I think it ended up around 34.5 ish hp off the top of my head. His 2003 all stock motor with some reeds, pipe and silencer (pc pipe and silencer was light years stronger than both sst and fatty on this bike for whatever reason) makes more hp but less area ubder the curve than the peak bike. The peak bike was similar to a new stock yz125 with some advantages in a few areas making it a very usable power, in a racer x article mitch said their hondas were 35 ish hp and the switch to kawi was a hurt to them..so all in all the owner was very pleased after reading that article. Of course before the dyno time he was certain it would be 40 Wink

he has a couple mugens of various years and some incredible elsinores and early 80s model bikes

Your build is beautiful
Thanks for posting, interesting stuff, i'd love to know more about this bike?! Who owns it? Any cool parts left on it still or were they all taken off when it was sold?
RyanLester761
3/14/2017 1:29pm
So damn cool! Your perseverance and commitment to perfection has paid off once again. Congrats Chuck. Another beauty for your stable.

The Shop

mxBryan
3/15/2017 2:30am
Your level of perfection is second to none !
That shop and floor.. you can spill oil in there i would still eat of that floor Grinning

Really nice bikes Chuck ! Don't mind me drool for some mintues at Farleigh ? Laughing
chuckdavies
3/16/2017 5:55am
Thanks for the comments guys! Appreciate it Smile

Bryan, feel free and make sure you come and say hello! I was lucky to get an entry so i'll be in Super Evo again #22
chuckdavies
3/16/2017 5:55am
super build, you need these tho.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/15/181468/s1200_peaks.jpg[/img]
super build, you need these tho.

Wow!! I'd love these...How much please?

I'd get them framed and up in my workshop with the bikes
ohiomotoxer
3/16/2017 8:57am
found this too, other side signed by McGrath and Lamson.

ohiomotoxer
3/16/2017 9:02am

All have been sitting in a file cabinet doing nothing

How about I donate them to you so they will be out in the open for all to enjoy.

I will get them to you when I can as I have major back problems and getting out is tough at the moment.

chuckdavies
3/17/2017 2:48am
All have been sitting in a file cabinet doing nothing How about I donate them to you so they will be out in the open for...

All have been sitting in a file cabinet doing nothing

How about I donate them to you so they will be out in the open for all to enjoy.

I will get them to you when I can as I have major back problems and getting out is tough at the moment.

You, sir, are a gent! Really, really appreciate that!

I'll make sure to get a pic of them when they're framed and up!

Thanks buddy
chuckdavies
3/20/2017 2:20am
Email me your shipping address.
Just back from racing this weekend, please see emails. Thanks again, really appreciated!! :D
chuckdavies
4/1/2017 1:44am
Quick running video ahead of Round 1 of UK EVO Championships tomorrow. With it coming down to last minute testing as usual, we're still 100% nailing in the jetting. We've got it running really sweet now but it's a little on the safe side of the jetting as we don't want to risk seizing it up this weekend. Hopefully we get through this round OK then we can get it dialled in 100%.

https://youtu.be/RmjYczOUOlI
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
4/1/2017 2:21am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2017 2:22am
I'm very curious as to how much better a Mugen is vs a really good ported cylinder. Actually I have been thinking about building one just to see the difference of it's actually night and day. Also how it compared to other 125 engines I've ridden. Nice bike chuck!
4/2/2017 8:02am
CrGuy2T wrote:
I'm very curious as to how much better a Mugen is vs a really good ported cylinder. Actually I have been thinking about building one just...
I'm very curious as to how much better a Mugen is vs a really good ported cylinder. Actually I have been thinking about building one just to see the difference of it's actually night and day. Also how it compared to other 125 engines I've ridden. Nice bike chuck!
a good mugen kit is about 2500 euro i think at the moment so i would say, let your stock cylinder ported.
send the crank to VHM in holland to balance, VHM head on it , V-force reeds , and a special made exhaust and it wil be faster than a mugen kit and cheaper !
but the mugen kit is still really great and period correct for these bikes! the 1991 mugen kits were the best available , yes they were very fast compared to stock!

bike looks great chuck and sounds great also!! my compliments!!!
Dutchman
4/2/2017 8:03am
For those of you that are in search of NOS 1992 Peak Pro Circuit Honda Acerbis rear number plates in blue check out Ebay: item 272615349409
4/2/2017 8:33am
Wow, these are NOS ones and they are pretty rare. But these will only match to a NOS fender. The Old ones are in a different blue to the newer Acerbis Peak Plastics from Erlend. The reproduction is more "blue" and the nos are more faint /pale.

chuckdavies
4/3/2017 2:15am
CrGuy2T wrote:
I'm very curious as to how much better a Mugen is vs a really good ported cylinder. Actually I have been thinking about building one just...
I had the first round of the UK EVO Championship yesterday and came away with 2 wins and a 2nd in the Open Super Evo class (mostly a 250/500 class, just a few 125s in the full line-up).

Track was fast with some long hills too, and I really wasn't too down on power against the 250s down the straights. It's incredible how much power this thing has now it's running great. Back-to-back against my 2016 Husky TC125 is interesting as the modern chassis is a lot easier to ride, but the difference in power is not huge, pretty impressive considering the age difference. The Mugen engine screams but still produces power up top. Everyone warned me about running the 38mm carb due to the loss of bottom end but when you're riding a 125 in the power range it's made for then this isn't an issue. It pulls like a train, and the amount of people that commented on how fast it looked/how amazing it sounded was pretty cool!

Yes you may be able to get a stock cylinder ported, with crank/head/ignition mods etc close to how this runs, but then you've spent a lot of money on an engine that doesn't have a great resale value. At least with a mugen kit it's a bolt on part that's just going up in value every day.

4/4/2017 12:13pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
I had the first round of the UK EVO Championship yesterday and came away with 2 wins and a 2nd in the Open Super Evo class...
I had the first round of the UK EVO Championship yesterday and came away with 2 wins and a 2nd in the Open Super Evo class (mostly a 250/500 class, just a few 125s in the full line-up).

Track was fast with some long hills too, and I really wasn't too down on power against the 250s down the straights. It's incredible how much power this thing has now it's running great. Back-to-back against my 2016 Husky TC125 is interesting as the modern chassis is a lot easier to ride, but the difference in power is not huge, pretty impressive considering the age difference. The Mugen engine screams but still produces power up top. Everyone warned me about running the 38mm carb due to the loss of bottom end but when you're riding a 125 in the power range it's made for then this isn't an issue. It pulls like a train, and the amount of people that commented on how fast it looked/how amazing it sounded was pretty cool!

Yes you may be able to get a stock cylinder ported, with crank/head/ignition mods etc close to how this runs, but then you've spent a lot of money on an engine that doesn't have a great resale value. At least with a mugen kit it's a bolt on part that's just going up in value every day.

true chuck , a mugen is a good investment!!!
Danben111
8/23/2017 10:12pm
What was the cost on this build?
chuckdavies
8/24/2017 2:13am
Danben111 wrote:
Even with some good deals on some parts I got along the way, it wasn't cheap. A lot of parts I had no choice but to pay top dollar, and a lot of the rare NOS parts like tank and airbox etc were been double the original RRP as they can demand that kind of money now due to no others available. I'm not going to post up the cost (I documented every penny spent) but you could buy a brand new 2018 4 stroke and have a fair chunk of money left over to spend on wheels/pipe/clamps etc. for the same money.

The 2nd one i built has a few more refurbed OEM parts without the big NOS parts as i'm riding it, but the Mugen Kit/Custom pipe/Suspension mods etc ramped the price past the original bike i did.
Danben111
8/27/2017 7:57am
Danben111 wrote:
Even with some good deals on some parts I got along the way, it wasn't cheap. A lot of parts I had no choice but to...
Even with some good deals on some parts I got along the way, it wasn't cheap. A lot of parts I had no choice but to pay top dollar, and a lot of the rare NOS parts like tank and airbox etc were been double the original RRP as they can demand that kind of money now due to no others available. I'm not going to post up the cost (I documented every penny spent) but you could buy a brand new 2018 4 stroke and have a fair chunk of money left over to spend on wheels/pipe/clamps etc. for the same money.

The 2nd one i built has a few more refurbed OEM parts without the big NOS parts as i'm riding it, but the Mugen Kit/Custom pipe/Suspension mods etc ramped the price past the original bike i did.
I imagined it would be costly as well as limited resources for good parts. You did a tremendous job putting together a piece of history. The peak bikes were the start of where we are today. Mitch had a vision and he was an intricate part in where the motorcross industry is today with outside sponsorship, etc.
Your bike is museum worthy.
I would not be surprised some day if you don't get a staggering offer in the future for it.
I was racing in the 90's and I remember owning all the peak Honda apparel back when my friend was the G.M. For Mitch. He used to hook us up all the time.
Damn I miss those days. Life was much simpler.
Danben111
9/6/2017 9:38pm
Wow, these are NOS ones and they are pretty rare. But these will only match to a NOS fender. The Old ones are in a different...
Wow, these are NOS ones and they are pretty rare. But these will only match to a NOS fender. The Old ones are in a different blue to the newer Acerbis Peak Plastics from Erlend. The reproduction is more "blue" and the nos are more faint /pale.

Did you have fenders painted to match the stock color blue acerbis or is it natural plastic blue?
123-rit
9/22/2017 6:43am
Awesome job on the bike... not sure if anyone is looking but there's a peak seat cover on vintage bike ads.
SLOWTIME
1/31/2018 3:15pm
Question: I've come across a blue fuel tank for a 1991/1992 CR. It's in OK shape. I can't figure out what to offer the guy. I don't think he knows it's a "harder" to find part. But it would make someone a good tank for a Peak build if I rescue it.

Ps: I didn't think this needed it own thread so hopefully I'll get a response here.

Thanks!
RyanLester761
1/31/2018 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2018 4:55pm
SLOWTIME wrote:
Question: I've come across a blue fuel tank for a 1991/1992 CR. It's in OK shape. I can't figure out what to offer the guy. I...
Question: I've come across a blue fuel tank for a 1991/1992 CR. It's in OK shape. I can't figure out what to offer the guy. I don't think he knows it's a "harder" to find part. But it would make someone a good tank for a Peak build if I rescue it.

Ps: I didn't think this needed it own thread so hopefully I'll get a response here.

Thanks!
Is it painted aluminum or painted plastic? I say the value could be $500-600 if it's aluminum. Maaaybe $150-200 if it's plastic... in "ok" shape.

I plan to paint a plastic tank when I finally get to my '91 Peak bike.

Post a reply to: 1992 Peak Pro Circuit CR125 Build

The Latest