1991 Ohlins 360 Mistress

Whymee
Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 4:28am
Gents,

Can anyone that has been there,done that tell me is a Ohlins 360 motor worth the rebuild investment? How is the motor once refreshed? All bottom & mid and no top end? Anybody have a first hand opinion? I have been reading on the web of jetting woes for instance.

The Ohlins 360 has always been on my bucket list. The 91 I have not only has the 360 kit, it also has an Ohlins shock and I think the USD forks has been revalved by Noleen.

Maybe this cylinder would be better served by starting with another core bike? I was thinking 92. I do have a NOS tank that will fit the 91/2 bikes. I always did like the magenta machines. Went to Loretta's once on one.

I am just on the fence on restoring this machine & right now I am not sure which way to go. Possibly the collective knowledge of the forum could help me make a decision!

Who knows, I might cut this mistress loose and find another. Then again I could start on my 83 CR125, or another 83 CR250 I have laying around. The disease (obsession?) marches on...
|
4/20/2017 12:47pm
I have one. It runs like a 250 on steroids rather than an open bike. Mine runs clean from bottom to top.
Bigfoot
4/20/2017 3:25pm
Under a fast rider they can eat a clutch in one race...or less.
tuggy450
4/22/2017 4:13am
Whymee, I had one way back when. Overall I liked it. I didn't eat clutches but i used steel plates, heavier springs and ate the tranny. Cured it with the wr trans gears. wider ratio, motor liked those better. I would use 92 or later crank+cases. had a , 2mm longer stroke. then wr tranny clutch improvement. Balancing. The 360 used a much heavier rod/piston pin, than the 250 so balancing was off.Maybe take some weight off of that reciprocating mass first then balance. The later 360 cylinders supposedly had some modified porting in the exhaust. In any event, a cool piece to own. Realistically though a good running 91 yz 250 , would give it fits. Noleen used to have the 360 manual online but lately it doesn't come up for me. I am sure if you e-mail them they could send you a copy. They had recommended jetting specs, porting? timing specs in the manual, Pipes are rare maybe dynoport still makes them. BTW i had a 91 yz 250 with the noleen ohlins suspension. was a pretty solid suspension for the day. The fork went from total crap to hey this thing is pretty damn good. Shock was decent even the stock ones, but the ohlins might be more desirable just from a rebuild standpoint. Good luck with the mistress

Post a reply to: 1991 Ohlins 360 Mistress

The Latest