1991 KX 125 Resto retrospective

thrwtle99
10/18/2014 3:51pm
I get that mine runs and does everything else it would just be cool to get "prettier" parts if you will. Time has not been good to these
barkhard696
10/18/2014 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2014 6:59pm
Cool. A good site that often has new parts is vintagebikeads.com. For replacing all the fasteners, run an ad in the Bazaar section looking for someone who is parting out a KX of similar years (you can also do this on VintageBikeAds.com, listings there are free). There is also a KX Riders website and I believe there is also a KDX website or user's group. These should also have places where you can post free ads for the parts you're looking for.

I think UFO still offers some of the plastic but you'll have to check. Most of the older UFO plastic I've had to get from the UK, but there may be a UFO dealer who will order the plastic for you if can get the part numbers.

Each of the big four Japanese bikes have loyal owners groups, these will be the guys who should have parts stashed. Networking with them through here and the other websites should be a great way to narrow the search.

Hope this is useful.
10/18/2014 9:04pm
I got UFO reproduction plastic for my 1989 KX125 resto from Ron Ayers. They had every piece except for the radiator louver that attaches to the front of the radiator.
barkhard696
10/18/2014 9:12pm
I was wondering where you found the plastic! UFO is not perfect but it's a bazillion times better than the vacuformed Nightmare Racing and DC Plastics stuff.

The Shop

Kidkawie
10/19/2014 3:44am
Google part numbers.

I thought nightmare stuff was pretty good. But that was a 76 kit.
10/19/2014 5:27am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2014 5:28am
>can someone please hook me up with a place to find parts. i need a few of them so price consideration would be great. If you've...
>can someone please hook me up with a place to find parts. i need a few of them so price consideration would be great.

If you've read over these older bike restoration threds, you'll see that these projects are usually tough to do on a shoestring budget and take a lot of time also. You have to scour the Internet, constantly check eBay, etc. A lot of stuff (like the plastics) is going to have to be sourced internationally.

TBT, there's just no magic place or person who is going to have all these parts and then give you a discount like say, MotoSport does when you get parts for a modern bike.

Think about how much time and effort this bike is worth to you. If the answer to either question is, "only a little," then you will probably be better off with a newer bike.

If you are fine with a project that can take up multiple months of searching and building -- and potentially cost a couple of grand-- greetings & welcome to the club.
oops no coffee yet - move along nothing to see here....
barkhard696
10/19/2014 12:03pm
>I thought nightmare stuff was pretty good. But that was a 76 kit.

They are cool guys, but the kit the sold me for my '84 KX125 project (since sold) had some fit issues and was kind of a collection for different years. I sort of got the feeling they were more twin shock - KX rear fender/numberplate year guys.
OldMechanik
11/1/2014 6:17pm
I know this is a year and a half old thread...but that's a great looking resto! It's awesome that you've kept this bike all these years. I had a 92 250 that I bought new and sold a couple years later....wishing I still had it, it was a beast!
MaxPower
11/2/2014 5:45am
>I thought nightmare stuff was pretty good. But that was a 76 kit. They are cool guys, but the kit the sold me for my '84...
>I thought nightmare stuff was pretty good. But that was a 76 kit.

They are cool guys, but the kit the sold me for my '84 KX125 project (since sold) had some fit issues and was kind of a collection for different years. I sort of got the feeling they were more twin shock - KX rear fender/numberplate year guys.
I was very surprised to find the replica plastic for my 83 was as far off as it was. The finish on the plastic was great. Generally the castings were the correct shape, but at the mounting points I had to fake in spacers because they weren't cast deep enough. As much as 3/8" both on the rear fender and radiator shroud. It wasn't a big deal I'd buy them again if I had to, but like most things I seem to have to do things different than others. I'm not bitching. The prices were fine and looks great to me. Just to this point neverndid I hear one person having fittment issues with the aftermarket KX plastic.
Ewan
11/2/2014 12:42pm
I know this is a year and a half old thread...but that's a great looking resto! It's awesome that you've kept this bike all these years...
I know this is a year and a half old thread...but that's a great looking resto! It's awesome that you've kept this bike all these years. I had a 92 250 that I bought new and sold a couple years later....wishing I still had it, it was a beast!
Cheers for the compliment.

There's definitely a few others I wish I'd kept, but the little Kawi has always been my favourite
9/21/2015 12:18pm
Hi Ewan
Your bike is beautiful well done you have done the bike proud!!!
Paul
Jmcd1988
9/21/2015 7:46pm
I have a 91 kx250 that I parted out. Still have a bunch of parts if anyone needed anything. I need the space. Haha

Bike looks amazing!! Btw
10/6/2015 4:53pm
Ewan wrote:
Thought i'd put this post up for Kidkawie, it's a bit of a look back at a resto I did of my 1991 KX, a bike...
Thought i'd put this post up for Kidkawie, it's a bit of a look back at a resto I did of my 1991 KX, a bike I got as in September 1993 for my 16th birthday.

It's the one bike I will never ever sell, far too much sentimental attachment and I still love to rag the shit out of it at 35 years old.

I carried out the resto in the winter of '08 - spring '09 whilst my wife and I were expecting our first child, Jill was always knackered and slept all the time which allowed me spin the spoons in the garage till the wee hours - it was the first bike i'd ever restored and definitely gave me the bug to do more.

Anyway, it had sat in my parents garage for quite a while, this is how it looked prior to being retired in '95, it's fair to say I liked my stickers as a kid! lol

The bike was stripped down, with the frame being blasted prior to powder coat. A couple of frame repairs were required, the lower pipe mount was damaged and both foot peg mounts had sagged.

Handlebar brace by devol

Linkage was rebuilt with Allballs bearings, ditched the puny stock pegs for IMS Pro series items

Ohlins billet shock mount

Swing arm was powder coated too, as a kid I spent hours polishing that thing and it actually came up pretty good, but a blingy bike wasn't really the look I was going for with this. Like the rest of the build, there is loads of NOS OEM stuff on here, slipper, fasteners, chain adjusters etc

Motor in

Ohlins shock on, this was supplied and tuned by MH Racing down in England

Anyway, that's enough for tonight, it's quarter to 1 in the morning here in Scotland, i'm goosed after taking a trip over the bars on the mtb tonight and need my kip, will chuck up some more pics in the next few days
Hopefully someone can help me here i have a 1992 kx125 I want to know with little or no work can I fit a 94 or up kx 125 engine plz reply
Jmcd1988
10/6/2015 5:02pm
I don't think so..... I'm parting out a 91 kx250 and someone wanted the engine for his 94 and it wouldn't fit.
10/7/2015 10:23am
Jmcd1988 wrote:
I don't think so..... I'm parting out a 91 kx250 and someone wanted the engine for his 94 and it wouldn't fit.
What if I were to cut and weld motor mounts
10/31/2015 4:19am
Ewan wrote:
Another look at the ohlins. The carb fitted here was a Keihin 36PJ, It's now been replaced with a 38mm PWK air striker to suit the...
Another look at the ohlins. The carb fitted here was a Keihin 36PJ, It's now been replaced with a 38mm PWK air striker to suit the modded motor.

Rear wheel was complete NOS, rear caliper was rebuild with all NOS parts, pistons seals etc as was the master cylinder. Hose was replaced with Goodridge stainless hoses. Discs front and rear are motomaster items from Holland.

Front wheel had to make do with keeping the original hub and lacing it onto a new rim with stainless spokes.

Managed to find a NOS right hand rad, the left hand side was re-furbished by GMX in England.

This is the only element of the bike i don't like, and it still annoys me to this day. The PC platinum pipe looks shite. Original pipe was pretty badly corroded and pinholed, couldn't get a works finish pipe through any PC stockists, and man did i try. Must have e-mailed every stockist in europe and the states, even having dialogue with PC and Mitch at the '08 Des Nations lol If anyone has a works pipe or even better, cone pipe for this bike let me know!

I put a good bit of work into restoring the tank, shaving it to removes nicks, various levels of sanding and polishing to restore it's luster. It tones in pretty well with the NOS rad shrouds, i ended up getting those from a Kawi dealer in Pensylvania and the other from New Zealand.

Hey man,

I have a NOS 1990 Kawasaki Kx 125 Pro Circuit Works Pipe for sale.

For pictures, reference my post(s) in the Bazaar and Old School Moto

According to the data I have, it will fit a 1991 Kawasaki Kx 125.

Let me know if you are interested.
10/31/2015 4:24am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2015 2:25pm
- Even though it's NOS, it has been sitting for 10+ years. Just needs a quick touch up with a scotch brite pad.

Ewan
10/31/2015 2:33pm
PM sent Blake.

Let me know how much you're looking for.

Cheers

Ewan
10/31/2015 3:12pm
Ewan,

PM sent.

Make sure to include your email in the return message and I can get more pictures to you.

Cheers

Blake
3/11/2016 1:12pm
Rovalova wrote:
Nice job, try emig racing on ebay they had a hand made cone style pipe on there about 12mths ago I nearly brought it for my...
Nice job, try emig racing on ebay they had a hand made cone style pipe on there about 12mths ago I nearly brought it for my 93 build, as they had it listed as a 92-93, but the expansion looked wrong and when I emailed they realized it was for the 90-91. They may still have it as they didnt relist it. Store is emig-racing on ebay.
Ewan wrote:
Cheers for the heads up on the pipe, e-mail sent! Fingers crossed!

Any pics of your build?
Rovalova wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/11/19/36879/s1200_IMG_0381.jpg[/img] Incomplete but getting there, concentrating on the hard to get parts first [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/11/19/36880/s1200_IMG_0774.jpg[/img] I now have the works pipe on and gold rims on order...

Incomplete but getting there, concentrating on the hard to get parts first

I now have the works pipe on and gold rims on order, and the correct white procircuit front guard sticker.
Found some NOS OEM complete forks, then these will go on the 92 kx250 im doing up to ride as a BITD race replica. Good thing these bikes are similar I swap out the not so clean bits to the one im going to ride. Theres another pic of this bike in a different thread under 93 splitfire 125 dressed as a factory production replica but those pieces are now on the 250.

Speaking of hard to get, anyone know where I can find the seat cover. Unsure
What fork guards are you using there? Those aren't stock guards for those? I need them!
Rovalova
3/12/2016 1:43am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2016 1:46am
Ewan wrote:
Cheers for the heads up on the pipe, e-mail sent! Fingers crossed!

Any pics of your build?
Rovalova wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/11/19/36879/s1200_IMG_0381.jpg[/img] Incomplete but getting there, concentrating on the hard to get parts first [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/11/19/36880/s1200_IMG_0774.jpg[/img] I now have the works pipe on and gold rims on order...

Incomplete but getting there, concentrating on the hard to get parts first

I now have the works pipe on and gold rims on order, and the correct white procircuit front guard sticker.
Found some NOS OEM complete forks, then these will go on the 92 kx250 im doing up to ride as a BITD race replica. Good thing these bikes are similar I swap out the not so clean bits to the one im going to ride. Theres another pic of this bike in a different thread under 93 splitfire 125 dressed as a factory production replica but those pieces are now on the 250.

Speaking of hard to get, anyone know where I can find the seat cover. Unsure
What fork guards are you using there? Those aren't stock guards for those? I need them!
Hi Hugh, those guards are off the 94 model kx's. bolt holes line up fine, just need to remove the tabs on the side to look better as there is no mount on the actual forks. There is a thread on vital "93 125 splitfire" that has better pics of the bike finished and tabs removed.
cheers

Post a reply to: 1991 KX 125 Resto retrospective

The Latest