1990 Works Suzuki RM125 pipe…maybe?

Mike P.
Edited Date/Time 3/21/2015 1:39pm
Every so often I come across a part on ebay that I have no idea of its origin (only that it is different) and I end up winning the auction on that hunch. That said, take a look at the below photos of this exhaust I won on ebay (completely rusted externally). The seller stated it was an unknown aftermarket pipe for the 1990 RM125. What peaked my interest was that I have seen a couple aftermarket pipes for this bike and this one was different, specially the welding. Now, I know that when works parts were delivered to the U.S. they came stamped with numbers, but I am not so sure if the stamping applied to all works parts in Europe, especially around 1990. I say this because 1990 was the fourth year of the production rule in the US and while the factories were still using works bikes in Europe, the 1990 RM125 that Donny Schmidt rode was production based (very similar to the one Guy Cooper rode I’m pretty sure).

The exhaust in the photo does not have a lower frame mount bracket like the stocker and other pipes for this bike such as PC or PSI. I also included a photo of Donny Schmidt’s 1990 works RM125 and when comparing it with this exhaust they are very similar in terms of the welding (which was different from the welding used on the exhaust for Guy Cooper’s bike). One of the photos is of the pipe alongside the stocker. I put about 3hrs of sanding into it so it’s starting to come around but more work is needed. If anyone can help shed some light on this exhaust I would be most grateful. Also, the words "works" written on the pipe in yellow mean nothing as far as I am concerned.

Thanks, Mike

|
Mike P.
12/9/2014 1:56pm
Quick update, I did a microfiche check and I think this is an 89 RM125 exhaust, but I still do not know the origins so if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Mike
Honda88L
12/9/2014 3:42pm
Mike - I am pretty sure the bike on display at the AMA museum is the one in that picture and it is Donny's 1990 125. I live about 2 miles from there. If you want me to swing over and measure, take pictures, etc let me know. Sure looks the same to me!
sgthubbard#60
12/9/2014 3:58pm
Is it paper thin sheet metal? The works pipe from I have on Guy's 91 250 is paper thin and has the same upper mount that yours has.
notme
12/9/2014 4:01pm
As far as I know that lower front tab mount was not on the 89 models, just the 90-91's.
Along the same lines as this, I picked up a PSI pipe to put on a 91 rm125 and it does not have that tab, also the flange is 2mm too big for the cylinder. It could be a PITA to remove that flange to have 2mm shaved off, even though its just brazed on.

The Shop

Mike P.
12/9/2014 4:40pm
Honda88L, if it's not too much trouble and if its possible to get some measurements that would be great!
Mike P.
12/9/2014 4:51pm
sgthubbar#60,

I don't know about it being paper thin though it is very light, but I can certainly weight it against the stocker and the Pro Circuit I have in the shop. The only other thing is that the works RM that Donny Schmidt rode was a bit different than Guy Coopers bike in 1990 (though they look similar) as they used different exhausts and upon closer look, Donny used a works swing arm as well, so I am not sure how different the exhaust materials would be between their bikes (if they were different at all). The similarities I can see is that the suspension was about the same but who knows what the factory did to Donny's bike as they could legally do what they wanted. I'll weigh the exhaust.
Mike P.
12/9/2014 4:55pm
Notme,

I'm curious, where is this 2mm difference you are talking about? I have not tried to put this exhaust on my bike, but it does look a bit different in terms of how the pipe is shaped too me.
Honda88L
12/9/2014 5:24pm
I may be able to get by tomorrow but if not it would be the weekend. What dimensions do you think you'd want? I'm thinking flange diameter, diameter at bottom, diameter at widest, distance flange to right side of pipe and total length? I'll swipe the wife's tape measure.

Any marking at all on the pipe you have that I could look for?
Mike P.
12/9/2014 5:32pm
Honda88L,

Okay, those measurements are what I am looking for, but also photos if possible as i would like a close up of the mounts and the visible welds. Thanks again, Mike
Honda88L
12/9/2014 6:01pm
I'm on the case! I just hope my memory is right and it's the same bike.
Honda88L
12/12/2014 12:54pm
Okay - I made it by there and did the best I could. A few of the photos I thought I took seem to be missing. I didn't get a picture of the right side of the bike as there was little to no room. Connie with the AMA was helpful as we had to get Donny off the right side, she actually held him up in so he looked like he was styling it a bit. His hands are zip tied to the bars. I have a bunch more pictures that it may be easier to email if you want to give me your address- I have to think there is some type of a limit on here. As info the measuring tape was easier to use than the digital caliper I had. I have much more info as well.

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
12/12/2014 3:35pm
Need to straighten Donny's goggles out...
Mini Elsinore
12/12/2014 3:56pm
Honda88L, it is obvious that you are a righteous brother. Very cool of you to help OP. Beers are on me if you are ever in HB.
Cheers.
MaxPower
12/12/2014 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2014 4:56pm
I agree, that was a nice thing to do 88L.

As it sits now the pipe looks works. What was the seller like? Was he selling lots of vintage parts or was it amount quad parts and old baby cloths in his listings? It's would be pretty bad ass if you did come out with a real works pipe

I have a similar project ahead of me with an old cone pipe I found for my bike that I'd like to make halfway close to results that SgtHubbard achieved on his 250
I was going to sand blast it then sand it. Chasing the welds with a torch looks unbelievable. Are there any negatives to that other than spending time on my bike instead of working on my house ?
Honda88L
12/12/2014 5:54pm
Thanks for the kind words - besides riding/racing one of the best things about this whole vintage/old guy scene is the people. I have had people send me parts and refuse a dime, a friend made in the sport over the last 5 years laced up a wheel for me and wouldn't take a cent. I believe in paying it forward when you can.

Careful with the offer of free beer mini elsie - my cousin Dave lives in HB - I was just there in August and I really like beer! If you surf you might know him as he's been around a while and that is his passion not much different than some of us are with bikes.
Mike P.
12/13/2014 7:25am
Honda88L,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! For obtaining these photos and the measurement. I now believe with about 99.5% certainly after reviewing several aftermarket pipes for this bike and the photos you sent that my pipe is a works pipe. I do not believe it is a US spec works pipe like the one Guy Cooper used although I have not been able to examine that pipe up close either. In addition to the welds, in the second to last photo you posted of the upper part of Donny's pipe, there is a weld just behind the pipe mount. Take a look at the below photo of my exhaust as it has the same weld in the same place (I put a box around the weld). Additionally, i measured my pipe in the same place you took the measurement on Donny's and the measurement matches exactly (14." and some change). None of this really surprises me as 90's works parts are pretty common find because most of the factories had gone to production based bikes for the most part anyway (none of that super trick mid 80s stuff).

Thank you again so much and if there is anything you need me to look into in and around the DC area just let me know! Mike

Honda88L
12/13/2014 12:29pm
Glad I could help Mike. I may try to make it to Terra Alta and or Axton next year it would be great to say hello if you make either of those. I also race an 83 CR250. Not quite as trick as yours!

A few more of Donny's bike if you want more ammo. The one at 30" is the tape from the flange following around the bottom to the weld by the upper mount:

The measurement at the bottom of the U:

Weld at the largest diameter:

Clearance at water pump:

Mike P.
12/13/2014 1:31pm
Honda88L,

Thanks for additional pics and did you notice if there was a lower frame mount? Looking at the last photo you sent it looks like there is one right in front of the radiator hose going into the water pump? And I really love the 83 CR250 (nice bike you have there). Who did you number plate backings? Also, I was just at Lake Sugar Tree about 2 months ago and had a great conversation with Gary Bailey and I'm looking forward to going back again. That track is prepped so well that most of the other tracks seem like disappointments to me. I have only raced there once (over 2 years ago) and I won after taking a 6 year break (I probably only rode like 3 times in the 6 years), but riding Lake Sugar Tree was really confidence inspiring for me as that was my second race since the 6 year break. Hope to see you there, Mike.
Honda88L
12/13/2014 3:48pm
I was at the National at Lake Sugar Tree in 87 while in college and I wanted to ride it then. Would have been this year but it was dad's weekend with my daughter at college....kind of weird! No lower mount at all. In looking at that shot again I am not sure but I think that might actually be the front tire because Connie and I had Donny crossing it up when we took the pictures and I had the camera at a big angle. Heck if you're into it again get on up to Unadilla - you will not regret it! That's as fun as watching a national and you get to race. A few shots of the lower pipe.

Honda88L
12/13/2014 4:30pm
Almost forgot - backgrounds are http://jakesgarage.com/ JT is a great guy- I thought my UFO front plate was the same size as stock, I was wrong, gave him the dimensions and about two days later a new one showed up. Would not let me pay him. He introduced himself at Unadilla-the guy loves the sport and is a racer. I have met the owner of Badbrush as well and also a good guy.
Mini Elsinore
12/14/2014 9:21am
Honda88L wrote:
Thanks for the kind words - besides riding/racing one of the best things about this whole vintage/old guy scene is the people. I have had people...
Thanks for the kind words - besides riding/racing one of the best things about this whole vintage/old guy scene is the people. I have had people send me parts and refuse a dime, a friend made in the sport over the last 5 years laced up a wheel for me and wouldn't take a cent. I believe in paying it forward when you can.

Careful with the offer of free beer mini elsie - my cousin Dave lives in HB - I was just there in August and I really like beer! If you surf you might know him as he's been around a while and that is his passion not much different than some of us are with bikes.
Anytime. HB has a surprisingly large mx presence---several other guys post here.
Dave will know Slater's 50/50. Beers and bacon-burgers on your next trip.

Sorry for the brief thread detour MikeP!
Cheers.
Mike P.
1/6/2015 9:05pm
Here's an update on the works Suzuki pipe. Now that i have removed the rust, I am experimenting with "bluing" the pipe. Attached is a photo of my first try along with the carbon fiber silencer I made. More to come here. Mike

Mike P.
3/21/2015 9:27am
Wanted to post an update just in case someone else ran into this problem. As I'd previously mentioned the Works pipe is shaped differently at the header pipe (coming out of the cylinder). This turned out to be the 800lbs Gorilla in the room and posed a serious challenge as the radiator hose could not be shaped to avoid crimping it, which would restrict coolant flow. The only solution I could think of was to cut off the radiator spigot off and re-weld it in another location. Then, I was down at my local hot rod shop and got the idea to use braided radiator hose, which doesn't crimp when you bend it all kinds of stupid ways. I cut and mounted it, ran coolant through the system and started the bike and runs great! I don't know why I didn't think of this before because braided radiator hose is what the factory teams used back in the 70s when watercooled MX bikes were in their infancy. The only drawback is braided hose weighs a little more, but looks a whole lot better and won't crimp so it's well worth it. So if you run into a similar problem, go with braided hose. Also, I did not use braided hose for all my plumbing lines, just the one. See photos below. Also my handmade carbon fiber silencer sounds way too sweet, but unless you have a purpose (i.e. building a bike requiring a carbon silencer, I don't recommend wasting your time, because while strong they can break a lot easier than an aluminum silencer and though I did the work myself, I still had to buy the carbon fiber which wasn't to expensive, but the titanium bolts, washers & nuts set me back a couple hundred bucks, all for a slight weight saving...not worth it)...I'll be doing a video of this bike soon. Mike

Post a reply to: 1990 Works Suzuki RM125 pipe…maybe?

The Latest