1990 KX250

mxsixty
12/29/2016 4:08pm
Take two with the seat cover, it looks like this one is going to fit good I will get it fitted in the next week about bloody time too lol, and a pic of a NOS seat for future reference as these will no longer exist in not too many years, that one for me to buy was well over $500 AU crazy!...
Slowly getting all the bits together and ordered all the missing/wrong bolts brackets guides etc, full gasket kit seals bearings the list goes on and on is there ever an end to it all lol..

mxsixty
1/11/2017 8:13am
Hi guys bit of an up date its been slow going mostly chasing up parts I need, am to far in now so much needed work and missing wrong parts but I'm getting there. I still need a front brake line at one stage there was heaps for sale now nothing am waiting for a NOS one to show up I should have got one when I had the chance live and learn.
I have a heap of new parts for the engine rebuild slowly showing up and finally found a case half I'm happy with.

So much for the budget but I will get it done eventually just taking longer than I originally planned and its the 1st bike I've restored like this if you can call it that, I've really enjoyed working on it and have learned a lot and will be better prepared in the future.

billyslad
1/14/2017 12:44am
I have this pice missing from the crankcase as well from an 88 kx 250 are any other crankcases from other years compatible with the 88 ?

The Shop

mxsixty
1/14/2017 7:48pm
billyslad wrote:
I have this pice missing from the crankcase as well from an 88 kx 250 are any other crankcases from other years compatible with the 88...
I have this pice missing from the crankcase as well from an 88 kx 250 are any other crankcases from other years compatible with the 88 ?
Yes it can be confusing with Kawasaki using the same engine layout with little changes along the way 88 to 90 being mostly the same engine I think but I'm not sure what fits what sorry am new to KX myself and still working it all out. I Know 91 is a one off with its cases and barrel see pic. The link might help work out what fits what.

http://www.oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX250BIKEID.shtml

mxsixty
1/26/2017 10:31pm
Finally seat is done am happy with it looks good I reckon.

mrg172
Fantasy
451st
1/27/2017 10:48am
looks good! where did you get the second seat cover?
mxsixty
1/27/2017 8:03pm
mrg172 wrote:
looks good! where did you get the second seat cover?
Thanks I got the seat cover from motosportservices on ebay they are in the UK.
mxsixty
1/27/2017 9:08pm
Looks awesome. The 90s Kawasakis look so good when they're done up right.
Thanks man yeah they are an awesome looking bike, not much left now and the body is done still need a few things like aluminum shift lever / front brake hose / and chain slider / and front master cylinder lever boot they are hard to get. I found a place that makes new replica disc front and back made in AU..
I'm not happy with the white number backgrounds they look like crap not lining up will change them see pics will try these ones.

Still waiting for the case to show up will pull the motor back out when it does I have most of what I need to rebuild the bottom end and gearbox am going with a Wossner connecting rod kit for the crank.
We have a nice little motocross track in my town when it's all done and setup long way off yet, I will see how I go racing old fart motocross should be fun will never sell it just keep on improving it get the suspension done ect. Lucky I'm still in ok shape for 43 am 72kg (158lbs) which is not a bad weight for a 250 I should be flapping off the back of it lol

mxsixty
2/19/2017 10:35pm
Still chipping away at it slowly so much still to do. I felt it was looking a little boring so I'm adding some well kind of period correct stickers nothing is accurate I know just loosely based on the period, went with a light blue Kayaba stickers for the forks you guys will know the look I'm kind of going for.
I scored an old camel Supercross sticker for the front number plate (re doing the white looks crap as is) waiting for a lot of stuff to show up still I had to give up on the budget will just keep throwing money at it until it's done is all good am enjoying the ride so far.

sandman768
3/28/2017 8:04am
billyslad wrote:
I have this pice missing from the crankcase as well from an 88 kx 250 are any other crankcases from other years compatible with the 88...
88-89 share many parts, I believe cases are interchangeable. Save the output shaft/ front sprocket shaft bearing, on the 88-89 that bearing is NLA & cannot be sourced from bearing suppliers either.
riv187
3/28/2017 8:17am
Your bike is really looking amazing. The detail your doing is exceptional.
I know completion and just getting to the time when you can ride it is focus...but I highly recommend you keep a look out for a leaner slide. In the partzilla microfiche it doesn't tell me what is stock,,just throttle ca7,,,but if my memory is kinda close,,stock was 2.5-3 and carburetor warehouse told me they where selling 5s for it. I decided to open mine up with dremel a little at a time to hit best air opening. When I did it ran 150% better,,didn't foul plugs,,I jetted with a simple B8ES. The power delivery was like a 125 on steroids. If your test area is sand,,no problem,,but if it's hard surface ,,,look for a flywheel weight. I was able to trail ride with it when I got the jetting right...but it was tricky in tight stuff. A local hard pack MX track was difficult and I couldn't handle the explosive power wheelspin when approaching jumps.
If you have the leaner slide(s) ready and a flywheel weight in tool box...you'll be ready if yours is like mine and others and not have more months searching afterwards
mxsixty
3/28/2017 9:03am
riv187 wrote:
Your bike is really looking amazing. The detail your doing is exceptional. I know completion and just getting to the time when you can ride it...
Your bike is really looking amazing. The detail your doing is exceptional.
I know completion and just getting to the time when you can ride it is focus...but I highly recommend you keep a look out for a leaner slide. In the partzilla microfiche it doesn't tell me what is stock,,just throttle ca7,,,but if my memory is kinda close,,stock was 2.5-3 and carburetor warehouse told me they where selling 5s for it. I decided to open mine up with dremel a little at a time to hit best air opening. When I did it ran 150% better,,didn't foul plugs,,I jetted with a simple B8ES. The power delivery was like a 125 on steroids. If your test area is sand,,no problem,,but if it's hard surface ,,,look for a flywheel weight. I was able to trail ride with it when I got the jetting right...but it was tricky in tight stuff. A local hard pack MX track was difficult and I couldn't handle the explosive power wheelspin when approaching jumps.
If you have the leaner slide(s) ready and a flywheel weight in tool box...you'll be ready if yours is like mine and others and not have more months searching afterwards
Thanks man yeah who knew how much work it would be in the end and still on going but I'm 95% there as far as parts go..I have done a lot of research on jetting the 90 and I think was you who post about the slide way back on here and I'm onto it so yeah thanks for the heads up hey...
The 90 was known for its explosive power! I hope this one returns that attitude well that's the build plan so far...
mxsixty
4/2/2017 12:36am
Couldn't find a good left radiator so went with a Chinese set they didn't need much modding to fit holes almost lined up and they seem well made.

mxsixty
4/2/2017 1:09am
Couple of random pics, of note the front master cylinder rubber boot is NLA but with a bit of looking I found a 1992 RM250 boot fits good..
And the front upper brake hose guide is NLA for the 90 but the 91 fits, both years have different part numbers I don't know what they change but the 91 looks the same and fits good.
Gearing I've gone with 13-50T the small motocross track here is tight and has nice loamy soil should hook up well I hope?..

mxsixty
4/2/2017 1:17am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2017 1:34am
And scored still in the packet blue shrouds with stickers don't know if Ill use them but for 85 bucks I couldn't pass them up! probably the last set like this left on the planet very rare find I'd say?.

mxsixty
4/9/2017 2:29am
Well I kind of started over on the KX sort of worked out it's best just to do it right the first time round so yeah I have been rebuilding everything all bearings/shock/forks/brakes. And I'm Happy to say I've placed my last order I have all I need to finish it such a good feeling to finally get to the bottom of the long I need list,I can just concentrate on putting it all together and setting it up.
Threw a few things on the bike to see how its looking today- is looking better that's for sure..

mxsixty
4/23/2017 4:16am
Not much of an update few little things I had to order last min holding things up. Will get the crank rebuild this week is kind of a tough choice as to what con rod to go with seems there is a lot of rubbish out there. with any luck the Wossner rod will hold up longer than 10min which seems to be the norm as far as life expectancy of aftermarket rods go now days according to the interwebs so I've read??..
Been taking my time with the engine to get it right eliminating any second guessing that might happen down the track well that's the plan anyway.
And yeah been farting about with the idea of a few stickers on the rear mudguard nothing concrete just making it up as I go along.

mxsixty
5/11/2017 1:59am
I got the cases back together all went well its solid am on the down hill now.

BM255
5/11/2017 2:46am
Looks fantastic, awesome effort man!
I know how hard it is to build one of these, I'm still trying to finish mine. I'm finding it really difficult to source a good condition fuel tank, you wouldn't happen to have one would you?
mxsixty
5/12/2017 1:01am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 1:10am
BM255 wrote:
Looks fantastic, awesome effort man! I know how hard it is to build one of these, I'm still trying to finish mine. I'm finding it really...
Looks fantastic, awesome effort man!
I know how hard it is to build one of these, I'm still trying to finish mine. I'm finding it really difficult to source a good condition fuel tank, you wouldn't happen to have one would you?
Thanks mate.. sorry I can't help with a tank only have the one on the bike.
Cool you are bringing one back from the dead as well they are such a neglected bike not many left that you would call in good nick.
I've enjoyed doing mine although hard to find parts for at times and an unlimited budget would have been nice but then that would have made it to easy and taken away the challenge apart from the welding my older bro is the pro at that so that cost me nothing and the crank rebuild I had to pay for that but the rest I've done all the work myself.
BM255
5/15/2017 4:02am
mxsixty wrote:
Thanks mate.. sorry I can't help with a tank only have the one on the bike. Cool you are bringing one back from the dead as...
Cool you are bringing one back from the dead as well they are such a neglected bike not many left that you would call in good nick.
I've enjoyed doing mine although hard to find parts for at times and an unlimited budget would have been nice but then that would have made it to easy and taken away the challenge apart from the welding my older bro is the pro at that so that cost me nothing and the crank rebuild I had to pay for that but the rest I've done all the work myself.
I'm all done apart from the tank, I found a replacement that was in reasonable condition, sanded and polished it up and it looks acceptable now. When I went to fit it I found that the mounting bracket is located about 10mm further back than the original, I can't understand why as the part numbers are the same across both 125 and 250 for both 90 and 91 years. Thought maybe I could find another tank but no luck, so I'm making another bracket instead. I scanned the bracket and have had a CAD file produced, altered the file to move the mounting point to the correct place and am 3D printing one out of plastic, if it lasts then great, if not then will have it machined from aluminium.
This bike was a complete roached out POS, I replaced everything but the engine, shock, wheel hubs, and swingarm.
Very cool bikes, but like you said they are hard to find and parts are even more scarce now, definitely the most frustrating build I've attempted.
pete24
5/15/2017 6:38am
to anyone reading this thread i have a lot of motor pats for these bikes, big bore cylinders, std cylinders, carbs, some crank parts , stator, clutch basket, intakes , just boxes of stuff that my buddy laft in his dads garage from back in the day when he rode these things, i have a big bore complete, i think its by eric gorr i can send piks to anyone interested
mxsixty
5/16/2017 8:25am
mxsixty wrote:
Thanks mate.. sorry I can't help with a tank only have the one on the bike. Cool you are bringing one back from the dead as...
BM255 wrote:
I'm all done apart from the tank, I found a replacement that was in reasonable condition, sanded and polished it up and it looks acceptable now...
I'm all done apart from the tank, I found a replacement that was in reasonable condition, sanded and polished it up and it looks acceptable now. When I went to fit it I found that the mounting bracket is located about 10mm further back than the original, I can't understand why as the part numbers are the same across both 125 and 250 for both 90 and 91 years. Thought maybe I could find another tank but no luck, so I'm making another bracket instead. I scanned the bracket and have had a CAD file produced, altered the file to move the mounting point to the correct place and am 3D printing one out of plastic, if it lasts then great, if not then will have it machined from aluminium.
This bike was a complete roached out POS, I replaced everything but the engine, shock, wheel hubs, and swingarm.
Very cool bikes, but like you said they are hard to find and parts are even more scarce now, definitely the most frustrating build I've attempted.
Sounds like you have done a lot of work got any pics?..And yeah that is odd with the tank bracket not lining up ,lots of KX's over the years share that bracket.. I had to get a new one mine was completely missing yep
that's right some twat over the years was like don't need that meh throw it in the bin lol..

Post a reply to: 1990 KX250

The Latest