1990 CR250R restored

Ove
11/20/2013 12:58pm
Ewan wrote:
Looks great Ove

Other than the Rg3 clamps and forks your mods are the same I run on my KX.

Great work
Cool Ewan! Thanks!
I love the work you guys have put into Your bikes, really giving these macines the love they deserve!
Great to see these super Evo bikes comming back to life!
usp4u
11/21/2013 12:29pm
Nice!
I would love to crush the local Bomber class on that thing.
Ove
1/24/2014 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2014 1:51am
usp4u wrote:
Nice!
I would love to crush the local Bomber class on that thing.
Thanks usp4u!
Yeah, this bike rips now.. So it could probably be competitive With a better rider than me...Silly
I'm trying to whip myself into shape so I can go enter a local vet race this year With it.
This bike is work in progress, and a bit of a fun Project for me, so I have bought a Magura hydraulic clutch for it, and are replacing bolt for bolt With Titanium bolts... Raptor ti-pegs on order ..
I am currently rebuilding the engine on the bike that was stolen, and got some New ideas for that one... I'll keep you posted. Woohoo
Thanks for the likes and kind Word on this bike!
I just love these old Honda two strokes!

On a side note: The suspension Upgrade really helped this bike. No more headshake, and With one of the best 250 Honda powerbands/engines ... this bike is a ton of fun!

The Shop

MaxPower
1/26/2014 6:03am
Have you ridden it enough to have an opinion on the performance of the WP shock compared to the Ohlins to a stocker?
The gold rims really work on that bike. To me it makes all the difference on the 1990.
Maybe it's the darker red Honda used that year, but I wasnt ever as drawn to it as the earlier and later model CRs.
But seeing your 250 complete makes me completely change my opinion of that year Honda. Your bike looks great. And it will look even better behind a starting gate.
Ove
1/26/2014 6:08am
MXVet261 wrote:
Really, really nice!
Thanks for the kind words PitRacer! Smile
Ove
1/26/2014 6:29am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2014 6:42am
MaxPower wrote:
Have you ridden it enough to have an opinion on the performance of the WP shock compared to the Ohlins to a stocker? The gold rims...
Have you ridden it enough to have an opinion on the performance of the WP shock compared to the Ohlins to a stocker?
The gold rims really work on that bike. To me it makes all the difference on the 1990.
Maybe it's the darker red Honda used that year, but I wasnt ever as drawn to it as the earlier and later model CRs.
But seeing your 250 complete makes me completely change my opinion of that year Honda. Your bike looks great. And it will look even better behind a starting gate.
Well, as the WP shock is just rebuilt, and I have not tried it out on my bike yet, I have to go With what I remeber from back in the day on that shock.
I bought that WP because the stocker was to harsh for my liking, and it was a lot better than Stock as I recall.

The Öhlins shock is probably even better than the WP, but now I have a front end that is a lot better also so as a Whole package the suspension is now really good on this bike.

I would rate the shock's in this order:1. Öhlins, 2. WP and 3.Stock Showa.

Thanks for the kind Words on the bike.
These Honda's was for some reason my personal favourite, so it's cool to read that others are liking them as well Smile
Schwanz22
1/27/2014 7:23am
My first bike was a 90 cr250! It was a great bike, wish I still had it. I was only 13 and didnt know what I had. Was kinda pissed st my dad cause I wanted a 125, the 250 was super powerfull. Yours looks awesome!! Im building a 93 cr250 to be a racer, kinda a resto mod. Cant wait to finish it!!
ledger
1/27/2014 9:04pm
Ove,Your bike is absolutely outstanding. If your bike could speak,it would say,,,I AM MOTOCROSS !!! It's been a long time since my last post due to life's up's and down's but I'm getting back in this game.You guy's do awesome job's on restore's whether it be for show or ride and the info here is 1st place on the podium.Congrat's to you.
Ove
1/28/2014 12:35am
Schwanz22 wrote:
My first bike was a 90 cr250! It was a great bike, wish I still had it. I was only 13 and didnt know what I...
My first bike was a 90 cr250! It was a great bike, wish I still had it. I was only 13 and didnt know what I had. Was kinda pissed st my dad cause I wanted a 125, the 250 was super powerfull. Yours looks awesome!! Im building a 93 cr250 to be a racer, kinda a resto mod. Cant wait to finish it!!
Cool, great story Schwanz22!
Thanks for the Nice Words.
Your 93 looks like a great project! Look forward to follow your build.
Small tip: If you struggle with finding footpegs, the late model YZF pegs fit the old Honda steel frames :-)
Ove
1/28/2014 12:42am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2014 2:29am
ledger wrote:
Ove,Your bike is absolutely outstanding. If your bike could speak,it would say,,,I AM MOTOCROSS !!! It's been a long time since my last post due to...
Ove,Your bike is absolutely outstanding. If your bike could speak,it would say,,,I AM MOTOCROSS !!! It's been a long time since my last post due to life's up's and down's but I'm getting back in this game.You guy's do awesome job's on restore's whether it be for show or ride and the info here is 1st place on the podium.Congrat's to you.
Thanks Ledger! Loved that comment! It made may day for sure!
So cool to se a fellow rider getting back in to this!
I just read your tread about the 1986 CR250 you are restoring, awesome read and i'm very sorry for your loss. Great to see you getting into restoring it and riding again !

Got some old School Pro Circuit front fender stickers and Pro Circuit/Showa sticker on it now. Studded tires, and ready to take her out into the snow:-)
(Sorry for the crappy pic...)

Schwanz22
1/28/2014 6:59am
Ove wrote:
Cool, great story Schwanz22! Thanks for the Nice Words. Your 93 looks like a great project! Look forward to follow your build. Small tip: If you...
Cool, great story Schwanz22!
Thanks for the Nice Words.
Your 93 looks like a great project! Look forward to follow your build.
Small tip: If you struggle with finding footpegs, the late model YZF pegs fit the old Honda steel frames :-)
Awesome, thanks! If you ever make any videos riding it, you should throw up a link!! Would be sick to see that beauty on the track!!
Maxx
2/5/2014 8:00pm
Where did you find the Showa fork stickers? Those would look great on my 90 CR.

Ove
2/6/2014 8:17am
Maxx wrote:
Where did you find the Showa fork stickers? Those would look great on my 90 CR. [img]https://imageshack.com/a/img163/9986/fn09.jpg[/img] [img]https://imageshack.com/a/img593/5638/83jl.jpg[/img]
Where did you find the Showa fork stickers? Those would look great on my 90 CR.

Cool!
Another 90 CR250! Great bike!
Looks cool With black rims.
I got Lucky and found a set of stickers on eBay.

Just installed a Hydraulic Clutch. Looking fwd to see how that Works on this old girl Woohoo
Crappy photos... Sorry, but you get the idea Wink

Maxx
2/6/2014 8:31am
Thanks! I want to powder coat frame and subframe white and get a red seat cover. Should help it clean up a bit.
Ove
4/8/2014 2:09am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2014 12:27am
Went from an 18" rear to a 19" rear this spring.
Wanted to have a wider selection of tires to choose from (The New Dunlops only come in 19"...)

As you can see it's a white spring in there.. Had to try out the WP shock, and it was great but a bit undersprung for me now... He he he... Wonder why... Laughing

The New Dunlop MX32's
Great tire, liked it a lot.

Got a New spring for the Öhlins shock , so that is back on the bike now.
And went for a set of larger Alu footpegs, With a bit more bite too it.
Want a set of Raptor pegs for this baby... :-)

Went riding this weekend to try it all out, had a blast.
I love this old girl Woohoo

Schwanz22
4/8/2014 2:31am
Looks amazing! I dig the 19" rear. I just ordered some of the new mx52 tires for my 93 build. Wife went out of town and I ordered $1000 in parts today haha... so the build will start this week!!!!!! Game on!!!!!! Cant wait to install my hand built pc pipe!!
Ove
4/8/2014 2:46am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2014 2:48am
Schwanz22 wrote:
Looks amazing! I dig the 19" rear. I just ordered some of the new mx52 tires for my 93 build. Wife went out of town and...
Looks amazing! I dig the 19" rear. I just ordered some of the new mx52 tires for my 93 build. Wife went out of town and I ordered $1000 in parts today haha... so the build will start this week!!!!!! Game on!!!!!! Cant wait to install my hand built pc pipe!!
Ha ha ha Yeah! Love it! Keeping it from the wife is part of this for many of us... He he he Laughing
Thanks for sharing that Picture. Love the Works Pro Circuit pipes! If I only could find one for my bike... been searching for a while, but no Luck.
Tell me how you like the MX52's when you have tried them out!
Schwanz22
4/8/2014 3:08am
Ove wrote:
Ha ha ha Yeah! Love it! Keeping it from the wife is part of this for many of us... He he he :laugh: Thanks for sharing...
Ha ha ha Yeah! Love it! Keeping it from the wife is part of this for many of us... He he he Laughing
Thanks for sharing that Picture. Love the Works Pro Circuit pipes! If I only could find one for my bike... been searching for a while, but no Luck.
Tell me how you like the MX52's when you have tried them out!
Will do!! I might be able to help you with that pipe. Ill do some digging and let you know.
Ove
4/8/2014 3:20am
Schwanz22 wrote:
Will do!! I might be able to help you with that pipe. Ill do some digging and let you know.
Awesome. Thanks for checking!
scooter5002
4/8/2014 4:29am
You've done a beautiful job on those bikes, Ove. Serious eye candy right there, and cool that you got you bike back after so many years. Did you keep track of the hours you put into those projects?
Interesting you mention the headshake on your bike, I have a 93 CR250 with 07 Showas on it, and that bike has zero death rattle. Had that bike tapped in 5th numerous times down a straightaway and shutoff, its as stable as can be. Still turns like a 93 though. Cool
Ove
4/8/2014 8:12am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2014 10:47pm
You've done a beautiful job on those bikes, Ove. Serious eye candy right there, and cool that you got you bike back after so many years...
You've done a beautiful job on those bikes, Ove. Serious eye candy right there, and cool that you got you bike back after so many years. Did you keep track of the hours you put into those projects?
Interesting you mention the headshake on your bike, I have a 93 CR250 with 07 Showas on it, and that bike has zero death rattle. Had that bike tapped in 5th numerous times down a straightaway and shutoff, its as stable as can be. Still turns like a 93 though. Cool
Thanks Scooter5002!
Yeah,still amazed that it survived all those years. Got to keep her now :-)
As for keeping track of hours... No not really. Building these bikes has been so much fun, so I lost a bit of track on hours...

The suspension upgrade you have done is pretty much the same as I did, and as your bike, mine is stable and still turns great.
So cool to see that others have the same experience. Thanks for sharing that. Smile
barkhard696
4/9/2014 10:48am
>Interesting you mention the headshake on your bike, I have a 93 CR250 with 07 Showas on it, and that bike has zero death rattle. Had that bike tapped in 5th numerous times down a straightaway and shutoff, its as stable as can be. Still turns like a 93 though

I've done the swap to '95, 93 and '89 CR250s. Such a big improvement, I'm surprised it's not done more often. IIRC, it even saves weight! Here's to modern tech + great HPP Honda motors.
4/9/2014 11:29am
Totally agree barkhard.
Nothing quite as cool as a retro bike that can cut it with the modern stuff.

I'm building a '91 cr134 with twin chamber showas as a hare and hounds race bike.
I'm building the bike I wanted as a teen.

The modern bikes do nothing for me. The bodywork is too angular and busy looking.

Ove's bike is the epitome of what I like to be riding and building.
Riding what you used to ride has gotta be the best way to stay young.
Ove
4/9/2014 1:16pm
>Interesting you mention the headshake on your bike, I have a 93 CR250 with 07 Showas on it, and that bike has zero death rattle. Had...
>Interesting you mention the headshake on your bike, I have a 93 CR250 with 07 Showas on it, and that bike has zero death rattle. Had that bike tapped in 5th numerous times down a straightaway and shutoff, its as stable as can be. Still turns like a 93 though

I've done the swap to '95, 93 and '89 CR250s. Such a big improvement, I'm surprised it's not done more often. IIRC, it even saves weight! Here's to modern tech + great HPP Honda motors.
Yeah, same here. Cool to hear that other riders and Builders feel the same With their bikes.
It's a great modification to the old steel frames.
The combination of HPP engines and better suspension puts the bikes right up there With the modern ones.
Ove
4/9/2014 1:20pm
Totally agree barkhard. Nothing quite as cool as a retro bike that can cut it with the modern stuff. I'm building a '91 cr134 with twin...
Totally agree barkhard.
Nothing quite as cool as a retro bike that can cut it with the modern stuff.

I'm building a '91 cr134 with twin chamber showas as a hare and hounds race bike.
I'm building the bike I wanted as a teen.

The modern bikes do nothing for me. The bodywork is too angular and busy looking.

Ove's bike is the epitome of what I like to be riding and building.
Riding what you used to ride has gotta be the best way to stay young.
Cool!
Glad you like the bike, and you are absolutly right. Going back to the tracks one used to ride and fire the same bike up 20 + years later... Awesome feeling Cool
Keeps me Young at heart at least Wink
scooter5002
4/9/2014 7:49pm
Someone posted a couple of years ago that you couldn't put new Twin Chamber Showas on an old bike, it would throw the chassis "out of balance". I posted that I'd done it on my 99 Cr500, with the entire front end of my 04 450. Said I was lying and it couldn`t be done, it would never work. It`s hard to imagine some people are that stupid, but there are over 6 billion of on this planet. Someone has to wear the goat horns., I suppose. Made such a difference on my 500, it was unbelievable. Threw the subframe and seat from my 93 on it, and with those forks it was a completely different bike.
Schwanz22
4/9/2014 7:55pm
Im looking forward to doing to fork swap. I have the lower clamp, and a 05 crf450 front wheel, just trying to find a good set of forks for cheap!! Theres plenty on ebay over $300.. but im cheap and have spent a ton already.. I also need to get a complete front brake once I find the forks... anyone know if the brakes will fit from 02-current? Or did they change them a lot?
4/10/2014 12:53am
If you swap to crf clamps, you need top and bottom, and the wheel spindle, as the distance between fork centres is greater on the crf.
You do get the benefit of rubber mounted bar clamps though.

The cr caliper should swap in, but you need the correct caliper bracket for the forks you use. Crf's changed in '06 from memory.
Maxx
4/10/2014 1:54am
I got my bike back from being powder coated and all in one piece. I still need to repair my pipe though. Other than that, this thing rips. Has a healthy kick when it hits the power band Smile

Post a reply to: 1990 CR250R restored

The Latest