1991 CR134 Resto-Mod

Edited Date/Time 5/28/2017 12:19pm
Building a retro 134 for hare and hounds racing over here in the UK.

It's being built to look like Johnson's/Stanton's '90 CR250, as that's my favourite looking retro honda. I prefer riding a 150 or 200 however, so I'm building the bike round a '90 cr125 that I've kept around since childhood.
(Which since transpires to have one of the very first 91 frames according to the number, but had full '90 subframe, seat, plastics, etc.)

Have a very tidy 250 tank and NOS rad panels and decals for it to achieve the look I want.
I have just completed the mock-up with the 91 rear end and seat, and it all looks good.

I will be building a supercross type motor for it, and will also cheat by using modern forks, but make sure I have an original look.

Have an '08 crf250 front end in it, and have lighter crf250 wheels in both ends too (rear on custom reducer spacers and 20mm spindle)

Currently getting on with the motor build, but will add pics as it all goes back together for those who are interested.

It definitely won't be a bike for the purists, but should be reasonably competitive at club level, with the whole idea of the build being to upset riders on new machinery with a near 25 year old bike.
|
Banana_oil
1/16/2014 12:45pm
I managed to fit a 96 shock on my bike, but you have to grind the upper mount ca 1mm wider.
2/15/2014 10:19am
Got my dad on the case and made some good progress today.

I previously had a '97 tail on this bike, so needed to convert the frame back to take the '91 subframe again.
The old boy knocked up some spacers on his lathe and zipped it back together for me.

Then slugged the damaged '91 subframe leg with a bit of ERW from stock, and used a portion of leg from the '97 frame as a repair piece.

Modded the lockstops to suit the twin cartridge CRF250 front end I have waiting (not pictured).

Then added in two brace bars to carry the alloy skid plate I'll make it for hare and hounds. They are in square, just the picture makes them looks pissed.

Used his big blowtorch to heat the cases so I could get the new main bearings in while I was there.

All this means I can get clean the frame and subframe, and get them off for powdercoat next week, and commence the motor build.

The Shop

4/7/2014 3:56pm
all Balls racing sell a conversion bearing specific to the job, which allows you to use the CRF yokes.

I made up a steering stop extension, so that I can always trim it back off to return the frame to standard if I decide to go back to OE forks (I've had this bike 14 years now)

The front plate has to have the bottom end trimmed slightly to allow a suitable position to tap a thread into the front face of the top yoke.

I had to slightly enlarge the hole in the plate for the brake line guide to make everything neat.

The whole wheel/spindle/brake/fork setup is 2008 CRF250R.
Ove
4/9/2014 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 6:21am
Sweet!
Great build you have going there!
The look of Stanton/Johnson's 90's bikes are just killer. Cant wait to see this one done!

4/9/2014 2:41pm
Cheers for the pic Ove. That's pretty much where it's going, although I have considered different colour rims on it, as I always liked the red/gold combo.
I'll end up making the little brother to your bike at this rate, but they do say that 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'

Putting the motor together tonight, as I just got the barrell back from the platers. It has a metal/ceramic plating, which is supposed to make it do a billion rpm and make a trillion horsepower or something.

Building the motor tonight, so will hopefully be a big step nearer to having a whole bike by the weekend.
MaxPower
4/9/2014 6:51pm
You got a good picture of the cylinder. It's hard to get a decent photo showing detail of the insides of a cylinder
4/11/2014 5:50pm
Built up the new clutch basket tonight.
It's a mitaka billet item and is hard anodised.

1) drill rivets from backplate and disassemble basket.
2) disassemble old basket with a hammer and a hacksaw to make gear removal a piece of piss.

3) lube up and press gear into new basket. I used some big washers and a spring compressor to ensure it pulled in square. I also chamfered the inner edges of the tines on the basket to remove the sharp edges. According to Steve at Phil Denton Engineering this should stop the sharp edge breaking the ears off the clutch plates.

4) re-install cush drive and backing plate (have to tap 8 fuggin' holes)

5) throw it at the motor and hope it sticks.
4/20/2014 4:24pm

Finished buttoning the cases up tonight.

Clutch and kicker went back together Friday night with new bolts, springs, and a good 2nd hand kickstart idle gear from a '99 as mine had slight wear.
Also new water pump oil and water seals, and new impeller shaft and water pump plate.

Tonight I re-profiled the '99 power valves to suit the big-bore cylinder.
- the '98/'99 power valves have a differ recent design which sacrifices a little top end for driveability due to a different profile. They can be retro-fitted back to the first HPP 125 motors of 1990.
My main reason for using these is that if a retaining clip breaks or vibrates free, they don't fall into the cylinder, which happened to me just after I bought the bike all those years ago.

New barrell studs and nuts, and everything fitted up.

X-dimension (piston to deck) is currently 0.6mm.
Next job will be to measure the squish, and have the head skimmed and cut to suit.
5/9/2014 2:53am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 2:56am
Finally finished assembling this:

Changed my mind as I was building it, and built a motor to rev instead of trying for a tractor.

Spec is:

'91 motor with:
'92 barrell
56mm (gives 134cc) Wiseco pro-lite piston (flat top)
OE Honda Rod/ Crank
All OE Honda bearings/seals/spacers
'92 head (modified) 8:1 Dynamic compression ratio, 0.8mm squish, 40% squish area.
'99 power valves and guides (re-ground to suit overbore)
Mitaka billet clutch basket.

Also switched from plastic, to an alu ignition cover, but have painted it black, and left the lettering black so it looks like the original plastic part.

Gratuitous up-port shot.
I matched the exhaust port to the flange and removed any casting marks back before the barrell was plated. As standard, there is a 1mm mis-match.

Motor in the frame, and used DEP spannie and silencer on loose to test fit.

AK74
5/9/2014 5:16am
What foot pegs are you running? Mine's still got the stock ones on, and I'm liking the look of yours.
AK74
5/9/2014 6:31am
YZ250F pegs (mine are off an '06). You need the Yamaha springs too.
Thanks! Your restoration's looking good. Will enjoy seeing the finished version.
6/15/2014 11:29am
Finished!

Motor is sweet, and has done its first heat cycle.

Wearing its original shock at the moment, but have rebuilt a '95 for it with a Ti Yamaha spring. Collect that Wednesday morning for some afternoon practice and bike set-up.

Also have an ohlins on its way.

Racing a hare and hounds with it next Sunday, so will ensure the GoPro is running for you guys.

Ove
6/15/2014 10:36pm
Great looking bike! Awesome build!
Love the looks of these 90 Hondas!
What year Yamaha Ti spring fits these old Honda shocks?
Ove
6/16/2014 2:56am
Cheers Ove. I took a punt on mine, and am unsure exactly what model it came from, as I only paid £10, making it worth the...
Cheers Ove. I took a punt on mine, and am unsure exactly what model it came from, as I only paid £10, making it worth the risk.

Fits the KYB units. Reckon it's this:

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-1C3-22212-30-00.html

(Basically all the YZ(F)'s from '06 to '11)
Thanks Goodluckmonkey!
I'll be looking for something like that then Smile
Look fwd to the GoPro vid!
I'll bet it will be a blast to ride and Props to you for riding it!
kelroy_leon
6/17/2014 12:15pm
Looks good! Where can I find the grey lower fork guards? I'd like to get a set for my 86' cr500. I also have run the YZf ti spring on the rear of my older cr with no issues.
6/17/2014 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2014 12:26pm
Mine came from www.mdracingproducts.co.uk here in the UK, but they're a UFO part.

Also KTM and TM guards will fit straight on the USD's.
KTM stuff used to be available in a lighter grey too for the LC4 640's.
kelroy_leon
6/17/2014 3:46pm
WOW! That exchange rate is a bit rough, lol. Two sets are on their way! Thanks for the info!
6/22/2014 1:20pm
Raced a 3 hour hare and hounds on if today instead of using my modern KTM.

The first time I've ever ridden it, and it's really good to start with.

A few tweaks and it could be really great.

I have some GoPro footage to upload, so I'll post a link up later.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
6/22/2014 4:56pm
Raced a 3 hour hare and hounds on if today instead of using my modern KTM. The first time I've ever ridden it, and it's really...
Raced a 3 hour hare and hounds on if today instead of using my modern KTM.

The first time I've ever ridden it, and it's really good to start with.

A few tweaks and it could be really great.

I have some GoPro footage to upload, so I'll post a link up later.
Great pic! The bike looks good..
EL Sammo
6/22/2014 11:53pm
Nice, how does the front end feel with the new forks and tripples?
6/23/2014 12:27am
The front end is on it's standard CRF shim stacks and clicker settings, and performed pretty well.

The turns were loose and sandy with loose berms for the most part, and the track was really whooped out in a lot of places.

The usual head shake you get with a '91 is mostly gone, and what it has left never builds to the level where it becomes uncontrollable.

The proof of the pudding is that after a 3 hour race on a rough circuit, I have no blisters.
When my ktm was stock, my hands used were shredded after 3 hours on the same circuit.
RyanLester761
6/25/2014 7:24am
I realize you built a 1990 but doesn't your bike have the '91 swingarm decal and seat cover? Can you get the white shrouds and OE '91 shroud decals? What's your plan? I love the bike regardless. Great job!

Post a reply to: 1991 CR134 Resto-Mod

The Latest