1989 kx 250 tear down / build finished! I"m a Tool...

sandman768
11/7/2016 4:26am
Thanks for the kind words guys!..I Learned a lot on this build....Hope to get a video of it running sometime this week...
sandman768
11/8/2016 10:17am
Bike fired up on the 3 rd kick! But, have an issue....head & cylinder are getting very hot for just ideling & putting around the yard.. Coolant is flowing into radiator nice, bled coolant system, radiators are warm but no where near as hot as the head & cylinder.. Cooling system is not building pressure... After a few minutes the engine starts getting very hot & acts like its leaning out, surging.... Thinking a bad head? Not enough fuel flow? I did have a slight coolant leak at one of the head studs but after retightening the head nuts it stopped... Any thoughts?
sandman768
11/9/2016 8:46am

Well, found the air leak.....splitting cases again to replace seals again....thanks Kawasaki....for putting the seals inboard so cases have to be split....I have 1 more Suzuki to build next, after that, I"m done! These things are sucking the life out of me!

The Shop

sandman768
11/9/2016 12:44pm
Pulled top end & engine out, piston looks fine, slight blowby on head gasket at edge of combustion chamber, not sure if coolant was getting into the chamber, but definitely ran outward toward center head stud, I did notice seepage there while running the engine, I retorqued the head nuts & it stopped, but at this point I will have a qualified bike machine shop inspected head & cylinder top surfaces for warpage...
sandman768
11/9/2016 12:57pm

Had some coolant seepage at the center rear head stud, same spot where there is black residue in the head dome...assume this is the warpage?
sandman768
11/21/2016 7:08pm
That looks like a solid foundation for a restore. mine was purchased not to far away from Boston ....one 89 kx is enough for me! Currently in a holding pattern waiting on head & cylinder to get machined....sometimes these restores can suck the life out of you....luckily I"m dumb enough to get right back at it after a few weeks of modern bike riding...
sandman768
11/24/2016 6:44am
Mine started as a roach to......everything was there but it all needed to be replaced......the 500, 88- until discontinued shared a lot of the chassis parts. Just about everything else can be bought new or aftermarket. The trans gears & kips power valves are NLA....I bought an eBay tranny before I even split my cases, between the 2 I made a decent tranny. The KIPS valves are 88-89 only & made from aluminum, if not serviced regularly, they will stick & the splines break or incur heavy wear. Like mine, I"m sure the PO"s never serviced them. I was searching Craigslist one nite & found a complete cylinder located in Ca. The Kips valves were better than mine...I"ve had the valves out of my cylinder so many times, I can do it with my eyes closed! Bring it back to life!
11/29/2016 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2016 7:22pm
I was hoping the '92 kips valves were the same as the '89 but you shed some light on that. I do plan on rebuilding this bike. I have a couple other projects ahead of it for now. Like most of my other projects, I have to remind myself its a 25 to 30 year old bike that kids ran into the ground with no real maintenance. I love making a ratty old bike feel showroom tight when finished. I just did an'86 kx250 over this past year and still have my '92 250 I bought in '92. The '89 fills in the gap. Thanks for the tips and the whole thread.
David934
12/1/2016 1:25pm
sandman768 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/14/131753/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/14/131754/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Box of Joe & dozen donuts always works! Had some of my 82 RM 250 hardware plated also, I"ll put that together while I...

Box of Joe & dozen donuts always works! Had some of my 82 RM 250 hardware plated also, I"ll put that together while I wait for frame back from PowderTech. Now I can reassemble a lot of sub assemblies while I wait for the frame.
gold colour is original?
sandman768
12/2/2016 4:41am
The plating is called "yellow zinc" but yes, it looks gold. Much of the Kawasaki hardware was plated this color, but not all of it. I had everything done in the yellow zinc, the platers charge per batch, 2 colors would have been 2 batches. The "yellow zinc" against the kx green looks great. I believe early model Honda cr"s used the same color...
David934
12/2/2016 11:06am
Yes, yellow zinc is looks gold and blue zinc looks silver. Definitely looks nice and build is awesome. Thanks
sandman768
4/6/2017 10:43am
Well seeing how the rain just won't stop here in the northeast, figured I would get back to this bike....I"ve had the engine & parts for a while now just getting back to it....I had the main seals replaced again, with Oem seals, all case mating surfaces have been redone, head, base, center cases...everything that could have been surfaced got it...I also carefully ground back the center exhaust valve flap edge, as it was very close to piston due to some play in the valve parts, clearance is better now.

Hopefully all the air leaks & head gasket leaks will be cured....
4/6/2017 3:23pm
Very nice build sandman! It brings a smile to my face going through this build as I did an 89 KX500 about a year ago. It almost makes me miss it.....almost. Wink I love the look of the 88-89 kawis. The blue and green goes awesome together. My budget didn't allow it at the time but I HIGHLY considered putting blue rims on that 500. I also understand the frustrations youre having with it! Working on these bikes is a labor of love. I raced mine last summer and everytime I fixed 1 problem another arose. The work was never ending on that old rattle trap! Cant wait to see the finished product, keep up the good work!
cvm
4/6/2017 5:57pm
Found this on here I think to the guy lookin for the carb hose. May not be show-bike correct but kinda looks like the real deal to me

Micahdogg
4/7/2017 7:12am
What is the deal with the carb line? Is that a honda product, a watts product or something else? Confused.
sandman768
4/7/2017 10:24am
Well, I thought I would post this up as I can laugh at myself....Remember, I never claimed to be a factory mechanic....I finished this bike last summer, had problems upon initial startup, mainly, after a few minutes the head & clylinder would get extremely hot while the radiators were only warm. After getting super hot the engine was dieseling & sounded like it was leaning out bad. I did have a slight coolant leak at the center head stud & an air leak at the mag seal, the bottom end had been rebuilt by a very well know & good mechanic. So I pulled engine out & had mechanic redo bottom end & replace seals with Oem, as I had used aftermarket seals before. He also surfaced cases, base, head, cylinder...everything to prevent air leaks. I get around to reassembling engine yesterday & finished installing in bike this morning. My mechanic said he did not find anything really that bad when he redid the engine...I fire it up....same F&@$$@ thing! Starts right up, sounds great a then head & cylinder get super hot, starts running like its leaning out/ overheating. WTF? So I double check everything, jetting... Stock...plug... Brand new, stock heat range...no air leaks found....I have service manual out.... Maybe bad CDI..? But I noticed when I fill the radiators they take a long time to burp, & when the engine is running super hot, the radiators are barely warm....ok, I have a cooling issue...water pump is all new, bearings seals ect. At this point I"m starting to think of all kinds of shit....Is piston to tight in bore ? I measured everything several times, ring end gap, piston to cylinder clearance....I remove coolant drain plug from water pump cover, on'y a little coolant comes out, I can still see coolant on the radiator...WTF? Pull bottom hose from water pump cover, more coolant...and........this....

sandman768
4/7/2017 10:41am
Of course after removing the paper towels I had stuffed into the water pump spigot, she runs like a champ & does not run hot...mind you, I had the whole bottom end redone because of this! I did have an air leak at the mag seal, but my mechanic told me I likely over pressurized the engine while testing it with my homemade pressure tester and he did not feel the mag seal was compromised. Looks like he was right.... So.......I just had bottom end redone, all new gaskets, had to strip cylinder of studs & powervale assy to have surfaced.... Never mind the time & labor involved...all because I had to plug the end of the water pump spigot with a paper towel.....complete jackass.....but It"s DONE...

JWACK
4/7/2017 11:18am
Hard lesson learned for a paper towel. Looks great though !
Not going to lie, I kinda want to ride it.
sandman768
4/7/2017 11:50am
Micahdogg wrote:
What is the deal with the carb line? Is that a honda product, a watts product or something else? Confused.
Looks like post to wrong build.....but I"m all about new Oem carb hoses on my builds! Nothing but the pink stuff bro.....
Micahdogg
4/7/2017 11:50am
I'm not above doing something like that. It's usually the little things that get us! Smile
sandman768
4/7/2017 12:04pm
JWACK wrote:
Hard lesson learned for a paper towel. Looks great though !
Not going to lie, I kinda want to ride it.
Yep....so glad I found my screwup, bike looks & sounds so awesome...the combination of green/black/yellow zinc look great, the late 80"s early 90"s bikes are so great looking..... It will be ridden....Thanks JWACK....
Slosh 112
4/7/2017 5:00pm
Ohhhh Maaaan! that sucks! your not alone though. When I was an apprentice I fitted a new turbo to a Cat D10 dozer, refitted all the pipe work and fired her up. Ran good for about 20 seconds, then bang grind and stop... didn't check the intake plenum properly, a rag got sucked in and got jammed between an intake valve and its seat and put a valve through a piston... That engine was worth more than most peoples cars and all their bikes put together...
sandman768
4/7/2017 6:24pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Ohhhh Maaaan! that sucks! your not alone though. When I was an apprentice I fitted a new turbo to a Cat D10 dozer, refitted all the...
Ohhhh Maaaan! that sucks! your not alone though. When I was an apprentice I fitted a new turbo to a Cat D10 dozer, refitted all the pipe work and fired her up. Ran good for about 20 seconds, then bang grind and stop... didn't check the intake plenum properly, a rag got sucked in and got jammed between an intake valve and its seat and put a valve through a piston... That engine was worth more than most peoples cars and all their bikes put together...
I grew up working in a body shop.... The shit I"ve seen guys, including myself screw up is unreal....in the grand scheme of things, it was no big deal.... i"m Just glad I found it before I brought it to a REAL mechanic....thanks for sharing your story Slosh 112...,,live & learn.....
sandman768
4/7/2017 6:27pm
Micahdogg wrote:
I'm not above doing something like that. It's usually the little things that get us! Smile
I"ve left a rag stuffed in the airbox boot once also....maybe I should just not worry about stuffing shit everywhere....
nelly001
10/6/2017 2:59pm
Micahdogg wrote:
sandman768 wrote:
I"ve left a rag stuffed in the airbox boot once also....maybe I should just not worry about stuffing shit everywhere....
excellent thread and quality build congratulations and thanks for inspiring me to get my 1988 250 built
nelly001
10/6/2017 3:01pm
anyone know if a 1989 cylinder will fit a 1988 i need to replace mine and i can only find a 1989
sandman768
10/6/2017 5:35pm
nelly001 wrote:
anyone know if a 1989 cylinder will fit a 1988 i need to replace mine and i can only find a 1989
I believe the 88 & 89 cylinders & powervalve parts all interchange the 88 & 89"s share many engine & chassis parts....how bad is your cylinder? Companies like Millenium & Powersealusa can work wonders on damaged cylinders. I have a spare 89 cylinder that is ported, needs to be sent out for repairs, the companies that repair the cylinders also can match a new piston while they repair/replate them. Powervalve parts are very hard to come by & nos powervalve parts & tranny gears are almost non existent. Get that 88 posted posted in the build section!
lumpy790
10/6/2017 9:11pm
sandman768 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/26/144753/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/26/144754/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/26/144755/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/26/144756/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/26/144757/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Carby all rebuilt, soda blasted, soaked Carb body & bowl in chem-dip carb cleaner bucket for a few days, comes out...

Carby all rebuilt, soda blasted, soaked Carb body & bowl in chem-dip carb cleaner bucket for a few days, comes out sort of brown/ mag looking. Scuff & buff on tank..still waiting on my forks!
The carb hose loop design was a recall that Kawasaki did. I was trying to remember if it was in 1988 or 1989 and I did a bunch of them and the fork recall shown earlier. I worked at Cycle 5 in southern MD back then
nelly001
10/7/2017 1:50am
thanks for reply my cylinder has been ported and nicasil is worn off on the inlet im not sure if the port job is good or bad.ive seen a newly plated cylinder complete with genuine piston kit and power valves at a good price and as these parts are no longer available i thought id get them while i can.i can compare the new cylinder to the ported 1 to see if its worth getting plated later on.i will post up some pics in the build section but i think its gonna be a long build.bike was bought here in the uk but was brought in from california where it had sat for a long time.ive only had it a few days and problems i have found are besides cylinder the rear axle seized holes drilled in airbox and a lot of rusty fasteners

Post a reply to: 1989 kx 250 tear down / build finished! I"m a Tool...

The Latest