1989 kx 250 tear down / build finished! I"m a Tool...

Ewan
1/13/2016 3:01pm
My peg mounts were worn and had sagged prior to restoration.

Just got the lower part if the brackets loaded with weld, then dressed them down and drilled out the holes for the pins, worked a treat prior to powder coat.

I used IMS pro series pegs, no complaints with them.

Cool project. Good luck with the hunt for a raw pipe!
sandman768
1/13/2016 6:10pm
Ewan wrote:
My peg mounts were worn and had sagged prior to restoration. Just got the lower part if the brackets loaded with weld, then dressed them down...
My peg mounts were worn and had sagged prior to restoration.

Just got the lower part if the brackets loaded with weld, then dressed them down and drilled out the holes for the pins, worked a treat prior to powder coat.

I used IMS pro series pegs, no complaints with them.

Cool project. Good luck with the hunt for a raw pipe!
That is likely what I will do once I finalize what pegs I"m using, looking for some pro circuit pegs. The raw pipe looks like it will be tough to find, some on Doc Wobs site, but I"m not paying 350-450 for a pipe, I like the raw/ works
Pipe look, I ran into this on my 96 cr resto, Took a plated fmf pipe & stripped it raw & blued the welds, came out real nice but a lot of work.
sandman768
1/17/2016 5:27pm

Sourced some nice used p/c pegs from eBay, from a 96 kx 250, fit perfect, just have to build up the peg bracts with weld as others have stated.

Got this cool new tool to replace the stripped out blind nut inserts, just like I did back in 1989 on my original bike!

Completed the teardown today with splitting cases & inspecting gearbox & crank. some minor gouging of cases below crank,that explains the recent rebuild
Tranny looks good, Looks like I can just replace bearings & seals.
sandman768
1/17/2016 5:53pm
That's it for the teardown. Now part 2: The restore, this part takes ALOT longer! I will update as each sub assembly is completed. I have a lot of work to do, just about every bearing & seal on the entire bike will be replaced.

The Shop

sandman768
1/19/2016 3:33pm

Cleaned up some parts in the glass bead cabinet...

Waiting for new rear wheel bearings before I can send out hubs to get new rims laced up, Just going with the stock silver/ alum color rims & raw hub look.
sandman768
2/8/2016 5:15pm

Was planning on just going with stock alum colored rims, opened box & got black wheels....little mix up at the wheel builder shop....no big deal, I like black rims too!

these parts ready to be blasted tomaro soda & glass beads. This portion of the build is the most time consuming

Had to grind/sand out deep gouges & scrapes out of swing arm before glass beading, these arms were primed with black primer & painted silver from factory, swingsarms look like crap after a few hrs of riding, think I will go with raw look after glass beading.

Almost have all the usable original hardware ready for plating, I parts wash them, then clean each piece on a brass wire wheel on the bench grinder....easily the biggest pita on these old restores...but when you get the replated hardware back it"s well worth it. My plater states he can do "yellow zinc" which much of this hardware appears to be on the Kawasaki"s
sandman768
2/8/2016 5:34pm
Still waiting on sandblaster to get my frame done, so I can test fit some items & get lower cradle welds chased. Output shaft bearing is NLA from Kawasaki, I went to local Kaman bearing dist. No luck, special bearing, Original bearing does not feel too bad but, I want to replace with new if I can, just sent cylinder out to be replated by Powerseal in Pa. They do very nice work. Ordered new front brake rotor, original was bent, & rusted pretty bad. Been searching eBay for Pro Circuit raw pipe, pretty rare, I may just recondition the stock pipe as it is in decent condition.
Micahdogg
2/8/2016 8:47pm
Neat bike. I restored one back in 2004 when you could still buy a lot of parts. First time I ever split cases or rebuilt forks. Its funny how time goes by...I don't recognized a lot of stuff on this bike anymore!! I do remember my trashed out subframe and the lost kick starter though. I think those had a nut that held the kicker on right?
Sidecar
2/9/2016 1:38pm
Nice project, I'm doing an 89 KX 125 but it's currently on the back burner as the Sidecarcross season starts in 6 weeks in the UK so I'm elbow deep in my kx 500 for the next few weeks getting ready to race.
sandman768
2/9/2016 1:49pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Neat bike. I restored one back in 2004 when you could still buy a lot of parts. First time I ever split cases or rebuilt forks...
Neat bike. I restored one back in 2004 when you could still buy a lot of parts. First time I ever split cases or rebuilt forks. Its funny how time goes by...I don't recognized a lot of stuff on this bike anymore!! I do remember my trashed out subframe and the lost kick starter though. I think those had a nut that held the kicker on right?
You are correct about the kick start nut! This will be my first complete bottom end job! I usually send out the bottom ends to a friend, but It"s time I started doing them. I have been following your YZ build, very nice work..
sandman768
2/9/2016 1:59pm
Sidecar wrote:
Nice project, I'm doing an 89 KX 125 but it's currently on the back burner as the Sidecarcross season starts in 6 weeks in the UK...
Nice project, I'm doing an 89 KX 125 but it's currently on the back burner as the Sidecarcross season starts in 6 weeks in the UK so I'm elbow deep in my kx 500 for the next few weeks getting ready to race.
Thanks! Sidecarcross? You have to post a video of that! These restores can be a pita but, I enjoy the challenge. Spent about 4 hrs today blasting cases & other parts. Engine cases did not cleanup as well as I had anticipated, and may end up painting swingarm silver like the factory did, looks to be easier than standing in front of glass bead cabinet for 8 hrs to remove all the original paint! Triple clamps, engine mounts, water pump cover & clutch cover came out real nice!
Micahdogg
2/9/2016 2:04pm
sandman768 wrote:
You are correct about the kick start nut! This will be my first complete bottom end job! I usually send out the bottom ends to a...
You are correct about the kick start nut! This will be my first complete bottom end job! I usually send out the bottom ends to a friend, but It"s time I started doing them. I have been following your YZ build, very nice work..
Thanks. Yeah if you are going to attempt a bottom end, a 2 stroke is a good starting point. Good luck.
sandman768
2/9/2016 2:17pm

Soda last did not cleanup bottom of cases too good

Top. & sides of cases came out better

Triples & alum brcts came out good

Shock body clean up nice too...can anyone tell me how that nut comes off the shock shaft, at lower clevis? I need to remove that little cup that bumper sits in for replating.

Swingarm barely fits in my glass bead cabinet, appears will be easier to refinish the arm vs completely removing all original paint & primer
Micahdogg
2/9/2016 3:43pm
Its best to take that cup off from the shock shaft on the other end. If you move that nut from that exact location your rebound settings can get real screwy. Either always hard or soft with basically no adjustment. Plus you will lose all the fluid
sandman768
2/9/2016 5:03pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Its best to take that cup off from the shock shaft on the other end. If you move that nut from that exact location your rebound...
Its best to take that cup off from the shock shaft on the other end. If you move that nut from that exact location your rebound settings can get real screwy. Either always hard or soft with basically no adjustment. Plus you will lose all the fluid
Thanks! I"ll leave it to the suspension shop!
2/12/2016 5:04am
sandman768 wrote:
Been looking for one of these for a while now, the 89 does not pop up to often around the northeast. I owned & raced 89...
Been looking for one of these for a while now, the 89 does not pop up to often around the northeast. I owned & raced 89, 90 & 91 kx 250"s, back when they were new. I really liked the 89 the best. Took the 3 hr drive to look at this one, price was right, so, here we go. Just got it yesterday, Chassis teardown today. Kawasaki guru"s feel free to chime in with advice, This is my first kaw restore.

Both radiators are in very good condition, radiator grilles are also good. Stock pipe is prett good, could be blasted/ painted but I" m looking for a pro circuit pipe.

Foot pegs & brake pedal very loose & sloppy. Do newer kx foot pegs fit?
I dont know if u r still looking for parts.but I have a 89 kx250 complete motor.have pro circuit.it spun the main bearing.had a shop split the case. All of the trans is in amazing shape.can send pics of any part.I had a lot of new parts put in it.all electrical components r n great shape.i just dont have the time r cash to fix it again.it hurts to think of selling .but I see we both have a great love for this year. Of bike.I went through a lot to getting mine together.I know how hard it can be.let me know if u r interested in any parts. Good luck with it.
sandman768
2/13/2016 6:34am
High desert 79: sent u pm, maybe in your spam? post some photos, let's see what you have.
sandman768
2/24/2016 6:45am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2016 6:48am

Powerseal USA in PA. Does excellent work! I have had them do a number of cylinders in the last 5 years, all top quality, quick turn around & fair price.

Going to try & save this stock pipe, dropped off at sandblast guy yesterday, still waiting on my frame from them. I"m trying to save what I can & save monies for parts that cannot be repaired. The pipe has surface rust but appears solid & minor dents can be blown out. We"ll see how pipe looks after blasting.
sandman768
2/24/2016 7:03am

Shifter only shows wear are very end of tip, looks like new Oem availible for about 100.00. I think I can weld the tip up nice & then glass bead the lever, then I will include shifter in my batch of bolts to be plated, the shift tip is steel & should come out nice. The rear brake lever is much worse, appears still availible from Kawasaki so I ordered a new one. Trying not to spend too much on this build! Ordered bunch of stuff from Evo-MX , seat cover & graphics. Just gathering parts & keeping things moving along. I thought I found new kips valves from Babbits, their site let me order them, but a week later they replied saying NLA. I also ordered the output shaft bearing from them, have not heard back on that one yet.
Micahdogg
2/24/2016 7:35am
I wonder if you could find some kind of steel knurled sleeve to slip over the shifter tip.
sandman768
2/24/2016 9:32am
Micahdogg wrote:
I wonder if you could find some kind of steel knurled sleeve to slip over the shifter tip.

Look closely at tip, inserted a steel dowel pin from a cylinder, sticking out about 1-2 mm"s, this will give me something to build up weld on, then grind down, when it"s done it will look similar to a YZ shift tip, Should take about 15 mins. I like refurbishing parts!
quicken
2/24/2016 12:10pm
Did you get a Ti spring yet? If not, I can donate a new 5.5 steel spring to your project.

Let me know if you want it.

sandman768
2/24/2016 12:25pm
quicken wrote:
Did you get a Ti spring yet? If not, I can donate a new 5.5 steel spring to your project. Let me know if you want...
Did you get a Ti spring yet? If not, I can donate a new 5.5 steel spring to your project.

Let me know if you want it.

Thanks for the offer Quicken, Going with the Ti spring, appears they are readily availible, just waiting for the right price. I have a bunch of springs in my loft, all showa from my years of Honda's. Was not even planning on changing spring out, but a 5.5 is correct for my weight & when I found out the Ti YZ springs fit, well.....why not...thanks again for the offer!
quicken
2/24/2016 12:31pm
I would go for the Ti spring too....that is why this one is sitting on the shelf. Cool
Jeremy200
2/25/2016 12:45am
Nice work.

Always loved the 88-89.

I was a TUF racing orange plastic & seatcover boy in my day - still my favorite bike. Would love to have one in the garage again.
sandman768
2/25/2016 5:34am
Jeremy200 wrote:
Nice work. Always loved the 88-89. I was a TUF racing orange plastic & seatcover boy in my day - still my favorite bike. Would love...
Nice work.

Always loved the 88-89.

I was a TUF racing orange plastic & seatcover boy in my day - still my favorite bike. Would love to have one in the garage again.
Thanks Jeremy200, I reached out to Tuf Racing a while ago to see if they had any parts left from their race bikes back then, they told me that stuff is long gone..I had tuf rad shrouds on my 87 rm 250 back then. the orange kx Tuf stuff was pretty cool back then. Aside from the black rims that I now have, this bike is going to look pretty much stock. Even the factory bikes back then did not look to much different from stock, although they were highly modified.
sandman768
2/26/2016 12:40pm

Assembled the power valve assembly today, took me a little bit to get it right but I got it. Side kips valves have some wear on the channels that the center valve rod rides in, but they still work good, looking for new side valves but they can be installed any time a top end is done.

Post a reply to: 1989 kx 250 tear down / build finished! I"m a Tool...

The Latest