1989 cr 250 restoration

5/19/2015 10:39am
Arrived home and these were waiting for me Woohoo

They are really well made and 100 times stronger than stock, just hope all the hose spigots line up ok! Cool

5/19/2015 10:45am
Their work is absolutely fantastic.
It's some kind of part-ceramic coat which is meant to be better at oil retention, whilst also reducing friction, making the hair grow back on your head, and increasing your stamina in the bedroom.

A friend of mine used to roadrace RS250's, and reckons Aptec are the best guys in the business.
With a self-tuned bike that was basically 2 CR125's stuck together, and made 90-odd HP on Avgas, he obviously knows his stuff.
He cut the head for my 125, and it flies.

I believe their prices are on their site. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
5/20/2015 10:42am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2015 2:38pm
more goodies have arrived today, just ordered them the other day!! Look good quality and hose clips are very similar to originals and look like they are stainless

The Shop

5/22/2015 8:57am
A few more bits in the post today Cool

Was happy to see the bottom chain slipper was there as well, I thought it was only going to be the main guide.
I will probably use the genuine Honda one I bought recently as it is black like the original.
5/22/2015 10:33am
Had a go at sorting the threaded inserts in the tank, tried a heat gun but it was just going to melt the plastic as it is really soft!
So ended up melting in a couple of red cable ties with a soldering iron!! I know it's not to show room standards but this tank is now a spare as I am waiting for a good one to come this week I hope Wink

Before

After

Amazing what some tar and glue remover can do as well Cool

5/26/2015 2:03am
Any one out there know any good fixes for 89 front forks? Have heard there reel bad!! Will the internals out a newer fork fit?
Would like to keep the originals on the bike rather than just fit a newer front end, that would just be cheating
5/26/2015 2:20am
I seem to remember reading something about swapping in the later TC cartridges somewhere a couple of years ago.
Also read the early USD forks supposedly wear the insides of the legs for fun, contaminating the oil.

This was my reasoning for just swapping in a set of Twin Cartridge Showas, although it could all be Internet bollocks as Despite having a set of 91's and a set of 08's stood next to each other, I never bothered to try the swap.
Mixon848
5/26/2015 6:11am
Sometimes people just retype or repeat what they read in print (I own a Publication and did a comical, totally bogus story once just to see how far nonsense in print would spread. I was amazed at the power of the press.)

Where the 1989 Honda CR250 Forks harsh, yes. Yet only through the small choppy stuff. I jars you in back-to-back small hits like sharp square edged whoops. That CAN be worked out with revalving regardless of what Motocross Action Magazine said.

The real problem like @Goodluckmonkey said is with contamination. The internals shed metal flakes/shavings and they plug up the internals. I am most certain that in these modern times a company like Enzo Racing or FCR Suspension could smoothing out the mid-stroke harshness of the fork and polish out the internals to lessen contamination issues. There are so many special coatings out there now days.
5/26/2015 6:55am
Great post.
I used to get tired of people saying "this is fact, and this is fact" without having tried something themselves.
If something's heresay, I'll state that, as it may well be founded in truth, or it may just be what someone heard down the pub.

As you say, undoubtedly these things can be made very good using modern coatings and materials, and I was really tempted to have a go, just to preserve a little more of the bike I owned as a teen.
In the end, it just wasn't worth the aggro or expense.
Mixon848
5/26/2015 7:38am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2015 7:05pm
@Goodluckmonkey, it seems like it is always the ones who haven't even seen or used a certain product that regurgitates what they read about a product in print. People like yourself and I have used, ridden, owned, and/or raced with these Forks and know first hand that they can be made to work in "modern" times.

The thing with a lot of Motocross Action Magazine (my favorite Motocross Publication) Bike Tests are that they always try to do a backyard fix on something first and then make a general assumsion off of that. There test of the forks read as "we tried these fork springs, we tried this oil, we tried this oil height". "Those things didn't work for the MXA Gang, so thus "NO ONE CAN FIX THESE FORKS" and that somehow became the truth at tracks all over the world and the internet just helped to spread the propaganda. It is sad because I read one of my very own posts on the Forks, and I had to shake my own head at myself.

Without a doubt Enzo Racing or FCR Suspension can get those forks working to perfection.

Sorry if I got your tread off topic Scottish Twinshock, but when people are researching 1989 Honda CR250 Forks/Fork Revalve they will now be able to see some positives, see what truly was the issue and no who can fix them.
Reeves516
5/30/2015 2:05pm
Looking good so far, I just sold my 89 today to fund a motor rebuild on my 86. Been thinking about the vapor blast on the cases, yours looks awesome.
5/30/2015 2:20pm
Reeves516 wrote:
Looking good so far, I just sold my 89 today to fund a motor rebuild on my 86. Been thinking about the vapor blast on the...
Looking good so far, I just sold my 89 today to fund a motor rebuild on my 86. Been thinking about the vapor blast on the cases, yours looks awesome.
Thanks still don't know if I will use them or not as I am waiting for a pair of cases to come over from your side of the pond! The guy said they were perfect?! Hope so as the cost me $$$$ just want it as good as I can get it and the casings I have are welded up at two places Sad
6/1/2015 12:12pm
Does any body know if the swingarm on the 1989 were painted?? I've started to clean mines up with some fine wet and dry paper and it looks like it has undercoat then alloy paint I thought they were just plain aluminium! What would your suggest? Rub it down and paint it with aluminium paint, rub it down and lacquer it or just rub it down??
I don't want a polished look as I think they look crap! Just my opinion Tongue would rather make it look original.
doctor46
6/1/2015 1:11pm
Stock Honda swingarm of that era were anodised, if you want te renew the original aspect go on with paper untill it will seems perfect and look for a company for a natural anodising treatment in your country.

In attached pictures you can see my 91 swingarm before and after the anodising treatment.

It's not exactly as the original one but it's much better than not anodized at all.

6/1/2015 3:11pm
Thanks doctor46 that's exactly the look I am after, my swing arm is nowhere as good as yours it's got a few nicks here and there but I will give it a go with the emery paper
Rab025
7/8/2015 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2015 10:36pm
I have a 89 cr 250, that I bought to restore that I split it into boxes for a house move, I now have to admit that I will never get it done, 2 years later, if you are interested in purchasing a donor bike let me know, it was running before I split for moving and is complete except for an expansion pipe as it was the wrong one for the bike and didn't fit in the boxes. Location Dunfermline.
Colian
12/12/2015 1:29pm

heres my 89 cr 250 in Ayrshire
12/22/2015 8:02pm
Hey bud looking the biz now. Im going thru exact same process as you rebuilding up a 93 CR250. I see youre based in Scotland. I stay in South Lanarkshire. Looking to race mine in the twinshocks next year.

My thread is on in this section if you fancy a gander. Also do you know anyone local to me who can lace and true wheels. Got mune ready to go but wheels are holding me up Sad

8/15/2018 7:44pm
Well it’s been a while, nearly three years! ? my bike was shelfed as I was busy at work but finally made a start to rebuilding it cleaned up the rear brake caliper and master cylinder

Bit of elbow grease and the caliper is looking a bit better after a strip down and rebuild and repaint

8/15/2018 7:49pm
Cleaned up the swing arm, it has a few deep scratches but it’s not a show bike and will be raced, still took me a full night to do it and re do bearings etc ?

8/15/2018 7:54pm
Swingarm and linkage now fitted after fitting new bearings and seals to linkage

Chain guide was really beat up and bent took a while to get it straight and half decent looking befor fitting new plastic guide blocks etc

8/15/2018 8:18pm
New rads fitted, look well made but unfortunately the outlet pipes are out of line and I had to tweak them to fit the hoses ☹️

8/15/2018 9:04pm
Welded on new seat mounting lugs to subframe as one was missing

Welded up, drilled and tapped out rear mudguard mounting hole as it hade been drilled out of line previously

Drilled and helicoiled all damaged threads

Post a reply to: 1989 cr 250 restoration

The Latest