1989 cr 250 restoration

Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 6:53pm
hi there
I thought I would share my restoration of a cr 250 1989 which I recently purchased on the dreaded Ebay!!

bike is in pretty bad shape with bearings etc all needing replaced radiators busted and generally needing a total rebuild from the ground up Sad
well here goes!

some funky coolant hoses on it Unsure

discs grooved out badly

engine looks ok from outside but who knows what its like inside?? Dizzy

more pictures to follow tomorrow
see ya Wink

|
5/10/2015 11:28am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2015 11:30am
some more work done today, radiators are trashed so back to eBay and bought some cheap Chinese ones for £48 delivered!
my friend uses them on his CR 500 with no problems and they can stand a bump better than the originals.

expansion chamber battered about a bit with a bit of bird sh#t welding on it

bottom chain roller missing, shame as last owner had went to the bother of powder coating the frame!!

also rear subframe should have been sorted, broken seat mount, stripped threads and bolts drilled offset Pinch

more pics to follow Grinning
by the way are pictures too big??? how do I make them smaller??Unsure

5/10/2015 2:29pm
silencer not too bad probably strip it sort dent s and repack it to save some money just now to spend on more essential items

kickstart really bad so much play that it has been getting destroyed against the back brake lever Angry

rear brake also worn out! pin is nearly worn through Dizzy

tank side scoop bolts were seized in, tried drilling through them to get some penetrating oil into them but they ended up breaking any way Sick probably need to try and get another tank but patch this one up just now to make do..

new tank shut off tap needed also.

5/10/2015 2:48pm
onto the engine now Unsure

well she's in bits! no going back now Laughing

o joy!! look what the first thing to greet me is Huh

oh well! keep going further in, doesn't look to bad considering there was now oil in transmission when I removed drain plug Blink

guy I bought it off said it had a new piston in it and I would need to run it in!! that wont be happening any time soon as exhaust bridge is cracked and it could do with being replated.

power valve wouldn't have been working very well as there was a great big dirty bolt screwed in against the rack holding it open!!

well that's about as far as I can go just now until I go to my friends house and get him to pull the casings apart

bye for now, post more pics soon Wink

The Shop

sandman768
5/10/2015 3:32pm
that thing is Hammered! open check book & make her right! why does every 2 stroke for sale have a new top end?
sandman768
5/10/2015 3:35pm
Yikes you've got your hands full! Great bike though, I love mine. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/10/90648/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Yikes you've got your hands full! Great bike though, I love mine.

thats nice! I love the 89"s everything great but the jackhammer forks! my buddy had 1, I was riding kx"s, rode the 89 cr & rode hondas for the next 10 yrs...
5/10/2015 4:40pm
sandman768 wrote:
that thing is Hammered! open check book & make her right! why does every 2 stroke for sale have a new top end?
wow that's a nice bike VintageRacer wish mines was half as good.. Blush

yep I'm afraid the wallets going to take a hit on this one sandman Sad but I hate to see a bike that could be rescued lying going to waste! unfortunately the bike wasn't as good as I had hoped for but that's the risk you take buying on ebay I suppose Pinch
anyway I've started now so no looking back only onwards and upwards (I Hope) Woohoo
Mixon848
5/11/2015 5:50am
Good to see you start this thread. You have a lot of work cut out for you, but when you have completed it, it will bring all the more joy.

I just ordered a new chain for my 1988 Honda CR250 and a new Chain Slider. I am going to do all new plastics soon except for the Gas Tank and Front Fender.
http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member/1988-Honda-CR250,38499/1988-Honda-…

I will be following this thread. Can't wait to see the progress.
5/11/2015 5:56am
Good luck - stay motivated!

I do laugh at every bike I see in classifieds - "Recent top end".
Ewan
5/11/2015 3:49pm
Looks like it's going to take deep pockets and plenty of patience!
5/11/2015 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2015 4:16pm
Ewan wrote:
Looks like it's going to take deep pockets and plenty of patience!
Ahhh! I've been rumbled Ewan, this was ment to be a top secret rebuild for next season!
Tam grant will be quaking in his boots now
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
5/11/2015 5:56pm
How is the waterpump impeller area on the cover? Mine is pretty corroded, and the new Honda covers are on back-order here in the States keeping me from putting it back together
5/11/2015 6:29pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
How is the waterpump impeller area on the cover? Mine is pretty corroded, and the new Honda covers are on back-order here in the States keeping...
How is the waterpump impeller area on the cover? Mine is pretty corroded, and the new Honda covers are on back-order here in the States keeping me from putting it back together
Mines is really good condition believe it or not! I'll get some pictures up tomorrow of it.
My friend says that a 1990 cover fits no problem as he uses the 90 clutch in his bikes and has to use the cover as well.
Mixon848
5/12/2015 5:38am
AHRMA361 wrote:
How is the waterpump impeller area on the cover? Mine is pretty corroded, and the new Honda covers are on back-order here in the States keeping...
Use a 1990-1991 Cover. They work and aren't Magnesium, they are Aluminum so they won't corrode to dust.
5/15/2015 4:47pm
well got the crankcasings split the other night and was pleasantly surprises that all is well in the gear box Smile

no wear on the the dogs on the gears and all the forks ok with no side wear, happydays!
pressed the crankshaft out and it looks and feels in good serviceable condition, its had a prox conrod fitted sometime in its life so I will probably keep it as a spare and try and pick up a worn one and fit a new rod to it so I know its ok.

crank casings need a couple of small repairs, one bolt hole below countershaft sprocket cracked and drain plug has been welded, helicoiled and then JB weld plastered over it, helicoil sticking into the gearbox a bit much I think Blink

clutch basket has saw better days so will try and get a good second-hand one or my have to fork out for a new basket, any feedback on different makes would be appreciated, mitaka prox etc Whistling .

5/15/2015 4:56pm
stripped the cylinder ready to send for recoating, powervalve rack and pinion gears are in really good condition, things are looking up Woohoo

selection box handy for this job Wink

5/15/2015 5:18pm
started to buy a few bits and bobs from ebay, some 1989 125 plastics and a tank as I needed a new tank tap and got the lot cheap, rad scoops front mudgaurd and side panels are in really good condition and are all the same as the 250, no cracks and all holes are good.
they are faded a bit but will be putting decals on them anyway as this will be a race bike and not for show purposes these will do me fine Grinning

125 tank is really good all the threaded inserts are nice so hope to sell or trade for some 250 parts Cheerful

new genuine grips were up for sale so I couldn't resist Lol.

new back mudguard was cheap too but it was listed wrong Angry not for a 1989 any ideas which year its off of??
I could cut it down too make it fit as side holes are ok Unsure

5/15/2015 5:44pm
also bought a full fmf exhaust system for a 1997, I cant resist a good bargain Lol.
silencer mounting holes are actually the same as the 89 but inlet pipe would need altered to fit!
anyway only bought it cause it was a reasonable price so may sell on or trade to fund my rebuild Cool

anyway that all for now folks! back to ebay for me Tongue

Mixon848
5/15/2015 8:53pm
Great update and great group of parts you grabbed on ebay. I just picked up a new Chain and Chain Slider for my 1988 Honda CR250, they came in today.

Next is a new Seat Cover and Rear Fender. Then a Shock Revalve and Heavy Duty Shock Bumber.
5/16/2015 2:13pm
a few more new parts arrived today Smile waiting on a fair bit more to arrive then the hard work will begin Wink

I need to get a move on and get cylinder sent away, but maybe wait as I have bought another bike in bits with complete engine so maybe the cylinder will be usable on it Unsure
get a bit more done tomorrow I hope,

anybody got any good tips to rejuvenating these plastics?? have tried the hot air gun before on other plastics but I think it looks a bit patchy! any one tried putting the whole panel in an oven?? or any other polishes etc that work??

any comments good or bad would be appreciated Cool

Mixon848
5/16/2015 2:41pm
You are on a roll with the parts, you will have her to perfection in no time. For plastics I use the razor blade method and then finish up with a polishing wheel on my drill with Soft Scrub.
5/16/2015 2:56pm
Mixon848 wrote:
You are on a roll with the parts, you will have her to perfection in no time. For plastics I use the razor blade method and...
You are on a roll with the parts, you will have her to perfection in no time. For plastics I use the razor blade method and then finish up with a polishing wheel on my drill with Soft Scrub.
I've got a polishing kit for alloy that fits on my drill!
may try it on the panels where they will be covered with the decals as a test
let you know how it goesWink
Mixon848
5/16/2015 9:19pm
I've got a polishing kit for alloy that fits on my drill! may try it on the panels where they will be covered with the decals...
I've got a polishing kit for alloy that fits on my drill!
may try it on the panels where they will be covered with the decals as a test
let you know how it goesWink
Yes please post up your results as I am sure many with Vintage and Post Vintage projects can use the knowledge gained from your test. I am following along the entire way. I am in for the long haul.
5/17/2015 9:11am
just back from my friend how has a vapour blaster Wink

don't know whether to paint them black, powder coat them or just leave them bare alloy???

5/17/2015 9:37am
also got the kick start welded up still to finish with some emery cloth

before

after

still have to machine out and rebush worn pivot

Mixon848
5/17/2015 11:33am
Wow those cases look outstanding. If you are going for OEM look of course have them Painted or Powder Coated Black, but if you are building your own creation they would look absolutely amazing left as is and Clear Coated.

Great fix on the Kicker. I am amazed at the work and parts already. I know this is going to be a great project.

I took my 1988 Honda CR250 out yesterday for a quick ride. It is funny because all of the Magazine Tests said that the 1988 Honda CR250 was a step backward Power Wise from the 1986 and 1987. That the Power was Flat and Linear. My 1988 Honda CR250 absolutely rips, from the crack of the throttle all the way through the top end. I feel that the flywheel is a little light even. It could use a tiny bit more flywheel weight in tight turns and slower sections on the Motocross Track (wants to stall at times if putting). Most certainly likes to be ridden hard and fast.
5/19/2015 7:59am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2015 8:00am
Poeton Aptec in Gloucester did a great job with the cylinder on my CR125.

You can see where they have relieved the exhaust bridge, and radiused all the port edges.

I run a Mitaka clutch basket in mine, and it seems to be a well made piece of kit.
5/19/2015 10:09am
Poeton Aptec in Gloucester did a great job with the cylinder on my CR125. You can see where they have relieved the exhaust bridge, and radiused...
Poeton Aptec in Gloucester did a great job with the cylinder on my CR125.

You can see where they have relieved the exhaust bridge, and radiused all the port edges.

I run a Mitaka clutch basket in mine, and it seems to be a well made piece of kit.
He y goodluckmonkey, that looks pretty good work, did they have to weld exhaust bridge on your cylinder?? And how much did it cost to re coat? As I am shopping about a bit for prices just now
5/19/2015 10:34am
Little bit more work done today on my lunch break, made up a puller and pulled out the old swingarm bearings which were trashed!

Post a reply to: 1989 cr 250 restoration

The Latest