1989 KX125 gopro from an Evo race yesterday

Edited Date/Time 5/24/2015 7:40pm
I'm still slower than a herd o' turtles but my newly restored KX worked great yesterday at Monster Mountain. Wish I could have stayed for today's racing.

|
Banana_oil
5/24/2015 12:51pm
Great to see those old 125's in action! So bot twin shock, evo and super evo rides together?
5/24/2015 4:04pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Great to see those old 125's in action! So bot twin shock, evo and super evo rides together?
The promoter combined a few classes for a fuller gate. He tried to keep each gate as close to the same era as possible.

The Shop

5/24/2015 4:05pm
That track looks fun as HELL!!!!
It was awesome. Hate I have to drive 3 hours to get to a GP style track, but it was well worth the trip.
MaxPower
5/24/2015 6:43pm
You looked like you rode pretty good to me there QoS. Even more so because I know you have almost no time on that bike. Your video is easier to watch than the RM guys go pro . I can't watch helmet cam videos that have the camera pointed at the front fender. I went out last week on my 125. The track was sand and I really hope that's why i struggled. Because I rode horrific. I'm questioning if I can even ride any more or even rice a 125 any more. Or if I just need a therapist.

I'm always amazed when a bike runs good enough to race again after I have had every single piece of it apart on my bench . And the first few times I take it out I have a million doubts if everything is back together correctly. Somehow it always is.
How is you're suspension working? I don't have time now but after Unadilla I think I'm going to have it valved a little stiffer. My bike has 4 clicks and it's on the stiffest setting.

I bet you got a lot of nice comments about how good your bike looks at the track
5/24/2015 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2015 7:14pm
MaxPower wrote:
You looked like you rode pretty good to me there QoS. Even more so because I know you have almost no time on that bike. Your...
You looked like you rode pretty good to me there QoS. Even more so because I know you have almost no time on that bike. Your video is easier to watch than the RM guys go pro . I can't watch helmet cam videos that have the camera pointed at the front fender. I went out last week on my 125. The track was sand and I really hope that's why i struggled. Because I rode horrific. I'm questioning if I can even ride any more or even rice a 125 any more. Or if I just need a therapist.

I'm always amazed when a bike runs good enough to race again after I have had every single piece of it apart on my bench . And the first few times I take it out I have a million doubts if everything is back together correctly. Somehow it always is.
How is you're suspension working? I don't have time now but after Unadilla I think I'm going to have it valved a little stiffer. My bike has 4 clicks and it's on the stiffest setting.

I bet you got a lot of nice comments about how good your bike looks at the track
Honestly I stopped counting, seemed like everyone there came by to say they liked it. Super flattered. Several people asked if was for sale including one of the big wigs at the track. I have waaay more money in this bike than I'll ever get out of it so the little bit of attention it received was nice. Smile

Suspension felt really good to me. Loved the forks, they soaked up breaking bumps nicely.. very supple. Race Tech rebuilt the shock and it felt OK too. I didn't jump anything real big when I went on the main 450cc track so I couldn't say how it might hold up with someone who knows what they are doing.

I don't know if I'll ever restore another one like this but the evo/vintage bug has bitten. I have my eyes out for a mid eighties Honda CR. I loved the '87 CR250 I rode back in the day and it seems like parts are easier to come by for the older Hondas.

Just wish we had somewhere closer to ride our vintage scooters than driving 3 hours to Alabama!
MaxPower
5/24/2015 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2015 7:36pm
The same with the compliment thing here. First I'm not used to being complimented on anything and second I've been looking at my bike for so long I just think of it as my bike. I forget some haven't seen a 83 KX in 30 years . I could be bought for the right price and even lower depending how I felt on the track that day. I can't say I'd never I'd it again but it sure would be nice with my next bike to buy numbers and set the sag . I'd like a same year KX 250 as your bike I think. I though Georgia would have a bigger vintage crowd.
After Unadilla if you still want I'll let you try the Black Ops Coil . On my bike I definatly feel it was worth the cost
5/24/2015 7:40pm
MaxPower wrote:
The same with the compliment thing here. First I'm not used to being complimented on anything and second I've been looking at my bike for so...
The same with the compliment thing here. First I'm not used to being complimented on anything and second I've been looking at my bike for so long I just think of it as my bike. I forget some haven't seen a 83 KX in 30 years . I could be bought for the right price and even lower depending how I felt on the track that day. I can't say I'd never I'd it again but it sure would be nice with my next bike to buy numbers and set the sag . I'd like a same year KX 250 as your bike I think. I though Georgia would have a bigger vintage crowd.
After Unadilla if you still want I'll let you try the Black Ops Coil . On my bike I definatly feel it was worth the cost
Yeah I am totally interested in the Black Ops now.. curious to see if anything more can be squeezed out of the motor without porting/head work. Another person suggested I look at my clutch springs, that if they are weak/tired it could cause what I'm feeling in the upper area of the powerband. I have some heavy duty springs in my new parts box so I guess I'll try those since I already have them. Hate the idea of a heavier clutch pull though. Unsure

Post a reply to: 1989 KX125 gopro from an Evo race yesterday

The Latest