1986 CR 250 RC project/rep/build up.. IT'S FINISHED!!!

Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 12:36pm
Morning guys, I thought you might like to see some pics of my latest project

This is how it started out. A VERY tired '86 CR250. The pics actually make it look a lot better than it was. Basically the only parts I've been able to use are the frame, forks, seat base, carb... Really..

|
2/13/2014 5:52am
I decided to do a disc conversion on it... So once id got the frame all blasted.. out came the grinder!

I wanted it get the conversion to look as close to the works bike as possible. It took a lot of work as I dont have a works rear master cylinder. I had to find away to move the stock one as far forward as possible. In the end I got it 14mm further forward than the stock 1987 position. I had to machine up a special res take off.

I think I got it pretty close!

Once it was all powder coated it looks spot on!

I fabbed up the alloy guard. I made it a little different to the factory one. It wraps round the master cylinder a little more. I also got some HRC hose for the res take off.

We make our own yokes so I got these anodised a little different to match the factory colouring.

It's moved on a little more than this, but I'll get some more photos up later!

Stevie
MaxPower
2/13/2014 6:31am
You never know where these builds are going to go. They can be a patched together like my bike or just a super sano factory like restored build like this. Nice work. Does anyone make metal tanks there for the earlier bikes there?
ledger
2/13/2014 8:57am
I agree with MaxPower on where this build is going and it's looking like top grade so far.This should be good,nice work btw.
2/13/2014 9:22am
Ive gone with later model hubs ('96) I couldnt leave them std though! I got them on the lathe and skimmed all the casting marks off.

They look pretty good powdercoated!

All the engine cases were vapour blasted before they were powder coated. Everything is "new". The old cases were so bad I had to junk them. The barrel was well beyond repair and the clutch case was.. as usual with the earlier bikes, rotten. I got a nice 91 alloy clutch case.

I had to knock up a pair of billet coolent take offs.

The Shop

2/13/2014 9:44am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2014 9:49am
I've gone through it and made everything it titanium. All the washers, top hats, engine and suspension bolts. Everything!

That's my version and the HRC one on RJ's bike in the back ground.

Engine bolts, all EXACTLY as per the original Honda ones, just in Ti.

Suspension bolts

Stem nuts. I've done the top nut "one piece", so the washer is part of the nut.

Close up of the handlebar top bridge and the Ti bolts.

Got the later hub fitted into the forks. I had to make special spacers and sleeves (titanium) to get it to work with the earlier spindle. The disc bolts and nuts are Ti aswell.

AK74
2/13/2014 9:57am
Stunning.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build being revealed.
Ove
2/13/2014 11:07am
Cool project!
Looks like this one will be a stunner once its done.
I hope you are going to use it....? Cool
Look forward to follow this build!
MaxPower
2/13/2014 11:23am
StevieD, I see your signature has Phil Denton Engineering site. Do you have something to do with them? Is that you? I know from mxtrax and the Honda replica RC 500s He (they) built for the vmxdn that the work looks every bit as clean as the Honda Factory in 1980s. And your 250 here looks the same.
I'm guessing you are building a coned exhaust for your bike too?
2/13/2014 11:35am
MaxPower wrote:
StevieD, I see your signature has Phil Denton Engineering site. Do you have something to do with them? Is that you? I know from mxtrax and...
StevieD, I see your signature has Phil Denton Engineering site. Do you have something to do with them? Is that you? I know from mxtrax and the Honda replica RC 500s He (they) built for the vmxdn that the work looks every bit as clean as the Honda Factory in 1980s. And your 250 here looks the same.
I'm guessing you are building a coned exhaust for your bike too?
Yeh thats me. Well, Phil's my Dad, he has a nice comfy chair in the office!

Thanks! The CR 480's were real labours of love! I put way to many hours into those!

I've got a Pro-Circuit pipe for this one, but I've made my own silencer. I should have that finished next week once the bits come back from anodising.

I'll keep the pics coming as I get stuff done. Customers stuff always comes first, but I get to sneak 1o-20 mins here and there!

Stevie
2/14/2014 1:11pm
I had all the stock '86 shock linkage parts vapour balsted, but they still looked crap.... I saw a picture of the linkage on Malherb's '85 RC 500 supermoto and thought... I can make that!!....

They came back from the anodisers today..... I though they looked pretty cool before they went.... but I admit, I let out a little girly giggle when I'd unwrapped these 2...

ledger
2/14/2014 1:57pm
Very interesting and amazing work !!! The linkage is super sexy and I think I would still be smiling if it were mine.BTW,,,Welcome to Vital.
Tracktor
2/14/2014 2:31pm
Holy Crap!.............That linkage is sweet!.The rest of the build ain't bad either.......................
NESC838
2/14/2014 7:00pm
Amazing attention to detail. Love everything you've done and look forward to your updates.

Linkage is stunning!
notme
2/15/2014 9:03am
This build is a stunner! Your cheating, no one can touch this build!!
barkhard696
2/15/2014 5:26pm
Amazing work! Are you thinking about making an '86 des Nations replica out of it?
2/16/2014 12:45am
Amazing work! Are you thinking about making an '86 des Nations replica out of it?
Thanks! I wouldn't say a replica... But definitely inspired by!
2/18/2014 2:33pm
Thanks for the positive comments guys!! Things are crazy busy this week but i have been able to get a bit more done in my lunch breaks and evenings.

I got the head steady machined out of 4.5mm carbon sheet. I made an alloy set aswell... but I dont think I'll be using them!

Finished the silencer. This really made my head hurt!!! The original silencer on the '86 is a 1 piece extrusion that is quite frankly, a work of art! You'd never see something like that on a modern bike, it would cost way to much! My silencer had been mangled, and had had extra holes hammered through it. It was scrap. My original idea was to cut the silencer and use the original inlet and just slip inside the carbon tube. Simple... or so though.... The carbon tube I could buy is not the same shape as the original alloy silencer... aghhhh!!! It's the same hight but it's narrower... so I had to have a rethink... I completely machined the inlet flat, so there was non of the alloy tube left. I then machined up a new "stub" that matched the new Carbon tube. I set the original inlet into it and then welded round the edge. So, now I have the orignal alloy extrusion inlet, that fits nicely into my new carbon tube!! I had the inlet vapour blasted to clean it up.

Machining the hanger bracket was a right pain in the ass! As the silncer is off set it made programming it a bit "more involved"! I'll be bonding a captive nut on to the back of the hanger.

Close up of the hanger bracket, and the hanger itself. The orignal hangers were trashed, and they are no longer available! Machined a new pair up and had them anodised. The bolts are TI, as is the hanger/fender spacer, mine was missing and it's not available from Honda! The rubbers are new.

Close up of the Inlet, Ti bolt and top hat, new rubber. You can see the extra weld around the edge where I put the new stub on.

2/18/2014 2:49pm
Artsie IG shot of the front fender washers, collars and bolts.

The forks are fully rebuilt, the lowers were cleaned up on the lathe, then vapour blasted, the stancions have been re-hard chroming. NOS fork gaitors, the orignal gaitor clips were actually pretty good condition but they looked really scabby, re-zinc plated they look good as new! New OEM bushes, and seal.

New hose clamp, with Ti bolts.

Oh.... I got the linkage fitted!!

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/18/2014 5:03pm
Wow mate, that's beautiful so far... Can't wait to see it finished.
Pat327
2/18/2014 7:14pm
Wow. I have dreams about building bikes like this.
BM255
2/19/2014 12:34am
Wow, that is one bad ass looking bike. I am overawed by the level of detail going into this build.
The attention to detail is top drawer, awesome work man!
vet323
2/21/2014 11:07am
I have an '86 CR250 project that has been sitting because I don't have the head stay and haven't made the time to find/build a replacement.

Thanks for the guilt trip, Stevie.

That will be a beautiful bike, cannot wait to see the finished product.
tydog
2/21/2014 4:38pm
As an old school machinist and fan of all things moto, I would like to say, well done sir.
Most people cannot image the amount of work required to pull these types of projects off.
I hate to even mention this but I hope that your powder coat facility is using the more modern types of powders that flow around 325F, for the aluminum of course.
A true machinist and racer can be a most formidable opponent.
Keep the pics coming Stevie!
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/21/2014 5:33pm
There is still drool running down my shirt, that thing is absolutely stunning!
ledger
2/21/2014 5:38pm
Absolutely a JAWDROPPER.You Sir,have been given a huge dose of raw unleashed talent.

Post a reply to: 1986 CR 250 RC project/rep/build up.. IT'S FINISHED!!!

The Latest