1986 Cr250 resto

Rocky739
Edited Date/Time 7/13/2017 7:13am

Found this "pristine" 86 CR toofiddy on Ebay and in a moment of weakness pushed the buy it now button. I just finished my first resto on a 84 Husky WR 400 and really enjoyed doing it, but the cost of vintage Husky parts is pretty salty and I wanted a MX bike so I chose the object of so much of my teenage lust, the mighty 1986 Honda CR250R as my next victim!

Its seen the wrong side of a rednecks wrench and rattle can for sure. I got it torn down over the weekend and found the cylinder had been sleeved, the Pro Circuit pipe is for a 92 YZ?! and a few parts are MIA...
but the good news is I have a decent FMF pipe and silencer that came with it and a Boysen rad valve along with a spare shock. It needs a clutch cover and they broke a boss off the inner clutch hub (found a nice clutch cheap on ebay already though). It's going to be a racer but I want it to look decent so I plan on all new plastic, seat cover and graphics along with being stripped and repainted stock colors.

I've managed to find the bulk of the parts I need via aftermarket, but I'm looking out for the following...

Cylinder
Air filter cage

Also what is everyone doing for front brake hoses, I'm a bit shocked there isn't a aftermarket option for them, or did I overlook??

|
chuckie108
1/9/2017 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2017 9:16pm
I have a complete running engine for sale if you're interested. I believe it is original bore and the water pump is new. Send me an email and I'll get you pics and more details if interested. Chuckmccarty@hotmail.com Shoule be a fun build!!! Good Luck.

Bimotofab
1/9/2017 10:13pm
Good find what did you score it for? And was it local? All the eBay stuff I want and I stumble across is across the country from me...

Anyway I probably have an air filter cage for you some where I will check tomorrow.

And why do you want a cylinder? Just because that one is sleeved? Just curious, if it's standard bore and it's gonna be a racer just run that one. Unless you are looking for something else?

Also if you want really nice plastics vmxracing.com make stock replica plastic in the correct color, I have ordered 2 sets, nice stuff. If you're gonna race it then maybe some cleanish used stuff on eBay? I dunno I have a problem of making things too nice to where I don't want to ride them.

Lastly are you aware of the water pump corrosion issues on these models with the magnesium side case? If not read up, or ask on here, lots of us have dealt with it, check the water pump housing asap, also check radiators for mineral build up, nice to see another bike saved from more torture and abuse. Keep the pics coming.

Cheers Mason
Bimotofab
1/9/2017 11:31pm
Also I have seen aftermarket braided brake lines, in the past I reused stock if the damage was cosmetic IE sun damage to the clear, I have shrunk wrap them with 3/4 inch electrical shrink wrap
Rocky739
1/10/2017 4:40am
Thanks, I'll email you chuckle but I recon that would blow the budget on this.
I got it for 650 including extra plastics, pipe and a bunch of other misc parts. It was in Chicago about 3 hours from me so not too bad.
The reason I'm punting on the the cylinder is because it's sleeved. Kinda defeats the whole first Honda that was plated theme. Plus is a C- job. It would run but the ports line up like crap. I'd be happier to find a damaged cylinder and send it off for repairs.
Water pump housing is toast so that's gonna get replaced with new one. Easy there compared to my husky that needs a 400 dollar aftermarket cover! It got jb weld. Lol.
I was going to do UFO plastic. Cheap and easy to replace if I trash it.
Brake line is all kinked up so no def plan there.
I never have a problem racing a pretty bike...

The Shop

1/10/2017 5:19am
Look like a great find! Just the way I like em!!

Venhill make new hoses (and cables), we can supply them if can't find any over on your side of the pond.

UFO make all the plastics apart from the side panels. If yours are good, use them (if you can, have them restored) they are better than the VMX versions.

EVO MX can do you grafix and seat covers (and foams).

There's a guy in AUS (Russel Brown) doing repro clutch cases/covers. Very nice pieces.

Stevie

Mouse153
1/10/2017 7:45am
Russell Brown has sandcast clutch covers but be prepared to pay up. Comparable to your Husky...

There's another guy in the UK that is doing them too.
ledger
1/10/2017 9:01pm
Do you ever make the drive to Nashville TN. ? If you do, I have a roller you can have, airbox included. Just need it gone.
Rocky739
1/10/2017 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2017 9:20pm
ledger wrote:
Do you ever make the drive to Nashville TN. ? If you do, I have a roller you can have, airbox included. Just need it gone.
I do!! We do the LL trail ride in the spring and I have a friend that lives in Kingston Springs that could arrange a pickup for me!
We will all be together for a vintage swap meet coming up in march also... So lots of options
Rocky739
1/10/2017 9:19pm
Speaking of the clutch covers, I'm under the impression I can just do a 87 + cover from Honda... Am I correct in that? That's my plan anyways, I would like a two piece cover anyways.
Bimotofab
1/10/2017 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2017 10:13pm
Rocky739 wrote:
Speaking of the clutch covers, I'm under the impression I can just do a 87 + cover from Honda... Am I correct in that? That's my...
Speaking of the clutch covers, I'm under the impression I can just do a 87 + cover from Honda... Am I correct in that? That's my plan anyways, I would like a two piece cover anyways.
Yes they are aluminum and didn't have corrosion problems like the mag ones did
ledger
1/10/2017 10:46pm
Rocky739 wrote:
I do!! We do the LL trail ride in the spring and I have a friend that lives in Kingston Springs that could arrange a pickup...
I do!! We do the LL trail ride in the spring and I have a friend that lives in Kingston Springs that could arrange a pickup for me!
We will all be together for a vintage swap meet coming up in march also... So lots of options
Cool deal, stay in touch and I'll hook you up, lots of good parts still on the bike, such as front forks. Kingston Springs is not far at all, so tell you friend I'm ready whenever.
Rocky739
1/12/2017 9:22pm
Been washing parts and inspecting parts... The Harbor Freight ultrasonic has been working overtime this week. I had to get the rattle can off the parts ASAP!! Did more searching and found brake hoses from both Galfer and Venhill, leaning towards the Venhill for no real reason. Think I'll get front brake overhauled soon so I can get a parts assembly into the "done" box!
Set up watch alerts on Ebay for cylinders but been either trash or overpriced popping up. Patience isn't my strong point.
avmechanic
1/13/2017 11:55am
Sounds like another bike will be saved. Should be a fun project. Love the Husky too. I would be stoked to have that. You can fit the later clutch/water pump housing to your 86" engine with just a bit of a modification to the governor spring pocket. Just a bit of die grinder work. A little searching and you should find the info needed. It is nice to have the quick access clutch too. Rather than try to find the old style front brake hose, I would suggest to get a later Honda style front brake master cylinder/lever assembly. You will have more powerfull brakes, it will likely be less worn out and you can use a modern style braided brake line that has a banjo fitting at both ends. They are available all over ebay and usual used sources. I have heard good reviews of the Ali express Chinese Nissan front master cylinders for later Hondas as well. They are like $30 new. I hate sloppy worn out controls. I used a nice almost new Yamaha master cylinder off a YZ450 for my bike. Painted black it would still look oem. Good luck on the project.
Greg
Rocky739
1/13/2017 6:36pm
avmechanic wrote:
Sounds like another bike will be saved. Should be a fun project. Love the Husky too. I would be stoked to have that. You can fit...
Sounds like another bike will be saved. Should be a fun project. Love the Husky too. I would be stoked to have that. You can fit the later clutch/water pump housing to your 86" engine with just a bit of a modification to the governor spring pocket. Just a bit of die grinder work. A little searching and you should find the info needed. It is nice to have the quick access clutch too. Rather than try to find the old style front brake hose, I would suggest to get a later Honda style front brake master cylinder/lever assembly. You will have more powerfull brakes, it will likely be less worn out and you can use a modern style braided brake line that has a banjo fitting at both ends. They are available all over ebay and usual used sources. I have heard good reviews of the Ali express Chinese Nissan front master cylinders for later Hondas as well. They are like $30 new. I hate sloppy worn out controls. I used a nice almost new Yamaha master cylinder off a YZ450 for my bike. Painted black it would still look oem. Good luck on the project.
Greg
Brilliant!! I looked on Ebay and yep, she will be getting a newer master cylinder! I'm the same about controls too. I raced my 1980 Can-Am MX 6 the first time with the old crappy stuff, and of all the shortcomings that bike has, the sh*tty footpegs were the worst... I welded on some CRF pegs when I got home, put all new levers and cables too! Made all the difference.

MaxPower
1/13/2017 7:32pm
I really really dig your Husky. I'm glad you don't have a problem riding that nice machine.
Do you ride Moto to vintage enduros with it?

. I did a National enduro in 83 and had the Husky team on minutes before and after me. At every reset I was a dorky skinny kid on a PE175 feeling like a big deal among a bunch of factory riders on cool looking Huskys like yours. I never had to keep time with them around.
Rocky739
1/13/2017 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2017 8:50pm
MaxPower wrote:
I really really dig your Husky. I'm glad you don't have a problem riding that nice machine. Do you ride Moto to vintage enduros with it...
I really really dig your Husky. I'm glad you don't have a problem riding that nice machine.
Do you ride Moto to vintage enduros with it?

. I did a National enduro in 83 and had the Husky team on minutes before and after me. At every reset I was a dorky skinny kid on a PE175 feeling like a big deal among a bunch of factory riders on cool looking Huskys like yours. I never had to keep time with them around.
Thanks!! It was my first restoration and I had a blast doing it although it becomes an addiction, always one more part to work on before bed! Happy to say I did every part of it except boring the cylinder, my brother helped me with the shock oil and gas fill and I have a machinist friend who made a couple parts along the way.
It had been sitting uncovered outside for sometime when I got it so there was some pretty bad damage, forks were rusty inside, engine cases were pretty corroded where water sat under the crank (of course they took the cylinder off before they parked it, lol). It was a low hour bike despite the abuse so the frame, wheels, shocks, etc were all good, it even had the stock front brake shoes in the front!
I just finished it the week before the ISDE reunion ride last fall, where the picture was taken. It's an amazing bike for sure and much like you I was a kid watching the fast guys ride those bikes back in the day... I plan on doing some vintage enduros and hare scrambles on it next year for sure!! Want to try to make the forks work better but otherwise it's solid, super easy four stroke like power and really comfortable to ride.
I bought the Honda for MX duty, although lots of guys around here rode CR's offroad, and I have a orange headlight, hmmm.
Doubt I'll have it done in time for the Unadilla vintage this year though I really want to check out that race, I have quite a few friends that go and really like it. I have a Can-Am MX-6 400 also that I can take, I might be the sub 500 dollar vintage king?
Here's a pic of the Husky the day I brought it home

Bimotofab
1/13/2017 8:59pm
Love that wr. I bet it's a blast, I almost bought a 250 not too long ago
TTperra
1/14/2017 2:56am
Cool bikes, i think CR -86 is one of the best looking MX bikes ever.
I had a WR400 -84, really good woods bike when you got used to the exhaustpipe...
Did mostly playriding on it, had a Husaberg 550 for racing, but i raced it on one winter competition, it was really fun to hear the spectators cheer on when i passed modern bikes on a long rocky uphill, but they passed me on the long whoopy straits...
I see if i have some pictures.

What kind of taillight do you have?
I see you have original on last post
Rocky739
1/14/2017 7:37am
TTperra wrote:
Cool bikes, i think CR -86 is one of the best looking MX bikes ever. I had a WR400 -84, really good woods bike when you...
I had a WR400 -84, really good woods bike when you got used to the exhaustpipe...
Did mostly playriding on it, had a Husaberg 550 for racing, but i raced it on one winter competition, it was really fun to hear the spectators cheer on when i passed modern bikes on a long rocky uphill, but they passed me on the long whoopy straits...

Agree on the looks, pretty happy to have two of my faves now!
The taillight is the UFO generic vintage enduro, was unbeatable for the money.. the stock one was too beat up, its sitting on a shelf, safe and sound. Lucky as a guy hit me at the last race and broke the UFO lens, lucky I can just order a replacement!
ledger
1/14/2017 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2017 4:23pm
delete
1/14/2017 4:09pm
Rocky739 wrote:
Speaking of the clutch covers, I'm under the impression I can just do a 87 + cover from Honda... Am I correct in that? That's my...
Yes, the later 2 piece clutch cases bolt straight on. Just swap in the 86 PV assy and bolt it on. 87-89 are magnesium and are just as prone to rotting as the 86 cases. 90-91 are alloy and don't rot.

It does raise another slight issue though. An '86 kickstarter will hit the casing before it hits the stop on the footrest.

Stevie

Rocky739
1/14/2017 4:37pm
Rocky739 wrote:
StevieD113 wrote:
Yes, the later 2 piece clutch cases bolt straight on. Just swap in the 86 PV assy and bolt it on. 87-89 are magnesium and are...
Yes, the later 2 piece clutch cases bolt straight on. Just swap in the 86 PV assy and bolt it on. 87-89 are magnesium and are just as prone to rotting as the 86 cases. 90-91 are alloy and don't rot.

It does raise another slight issue though. An '86 kickstarter will hit the casing before it hits the stop on the footrest.

Stevie

OK, i'd like to get all this straight on clutch covers...
1986= (11340-KS7-000) discontinued
1987= (11340-KS7-700) discontinued on partzilla.com
1988/1989= (11340-KS7-831) shows in stock for 167.84 bucks. Is this aluminum?
1990/1991= (11341-KZ3-700) discontinued

As far a kick start clearance, will later model levers work on the 86?
avmechanic
1/14/2017 10:37pm
The 88' 89' replacement PN11340-KS7-831 is the one to get. It is definitely aluminum. I bought one a few months back. It is cheaper new than many are charging for used on Ebay. Here is the one I received.

Hope that helps you out.
Greg
TTperra
1/16/2017 12:29am
TTperra wrote:
Cool bikes, i think CR -86 is one of the best looking MX bikes ever. I had a WR400 -84, really good woods bike when you...

Found pictures of winter 2006 and spring 07 just before I sold the Huskys, wish I still had the 400 but I needed founding's and space for the new bike..

Rocky739
1/16/2017 7:20am
TTperra wrote:

TTperra wrote:
Found pictures of winter 2006 and spring 07 just before I sold the Huskys, wish I still had the 400 but I needed founding's and space...
Found pictures of winter 2006 and spring 07 just before I sold the Huskys, wish I still had the 400 but I needed founding's and space for the new bike..

Awesome! Would have to be dark times for me to sell the Husky, or the Honda once it's done... I tell people they have come to their "forever" home, my wife rolls her eyes.
I have zero attachment to my modern bikes, but these are the ones I cut out pictures of and hung on my bedroom walls when I was a teenager.
I want a later model Husky (87-88) but the cost of parts has put me off a bit compared to Jap bikes.. The rod for the Husky was 350.00 bucks alone, that buys a lot of Honda parts!
I did suck it up and did a 100% resto on the husky, so there's nothing it should need in the future (after I man up and buy the HVA clutch cover) so cost of operation should be very low over the course of my life! I still need to finish the original silencer, have all the parts to do it just pushed to the back burner, I also found a place in Texas that has the ISDE stickers for the radiator shrouds. Thinking of going to the white lighting vintage race in SC in March so I will at least have the stickers for it, that will make me faster right??
Rocky739
1/16/2017 7:45am
avmechanic wrote:
The 88' 89' replacement PN11340-KS7-831 is the one to get. It is definitely aluminum. I bought one a few months back. It is cheaper new than...
The 88' 89' replacement PN11340-KS7-831 is the one to get. It is definitely aluminum. I bought one a few months back. It is cheaper new than many are charging for used on Ebay. Here is the one I received.

Hope that helps you out.
Greg
YES! I assumed this was the correct (only) option and good to know 100% it's aluminum. My next question is what works to remove the magnesium that's now lodged in the radiators?
Whymee
1/16/2017 8:25am
Send the rads to Mylars in Utah. They are the bees knees when it comes to aluminum rads.

Also, I have 2 cylinders, but unsure of the year. Any way to tell? One has what looks to be stock black paint which MIGHT work fer ya. The other is silver and I suppose it is off of a later 80's machine.
Rocky739
1/16/2017 10:36am
Whymee wrote:
Send the rads to Mylars in Utah. They are the bees knees when it comes to aluminum rads. Also, I have 2 cylinders, but unsure of...
Send the rads to Mylars in Utah. They are the bees knees when it comes to aluminum rads.

Also, I have 2 cylinders, but unsure of the year. Any way to tell? One has what looks to be stock black paint which MIGHT work fer ya. The other is silver and I suppose it is off of a later 80's machine.
I was going to try a couple home remedies first to see if I could clean them up, then last resort send them out to Mylers... Gotta send the pipe to be straightened and cylinder for plating. So make a day of shipping stuff off!

I bought a cylinder on Ebay yesterday for 45.00 bucks that is in ok shape (good enough to go to be re-nikasil'ed) Not sure of how to tell year on those as I don't see a part # stamp or year mark. I'd always be interested in another though.
Rocky739
1/16/2017 10:49am

Busy day yesterday, lots of cleaning on parts. Got side panels clean and ready for backgrounds to be applied also painted the radiator louvers. I found forever black on Amazon and tried it on the husky ignition cover. Worked pretty well, has the right gloss and hasn't peeled off even after a couple baths. Takes a little patience and prep. I wasn't happy with the results brushing it so I sprayed two coats after sanding the brushed coats lightly with 600 grit sandpaper.

Bimotofab
1/16/2017 10:55am
Rocky739 wrote:
Busy day yesterday, lots of cleaning on parts. Got side panels clean and ready for backgrounds to be applied also painted the radiator louvers. I found...

Busy day yesterday, lots of cleaning on parts. Got side panels clean and ready for backgrounds to be applied also painted the radiator louvers. I found forever black on Amazon and tried it on the husky ignition cover. Worked pretty well, has the right gloss and hasn't peeled off even after a couple baths. Takes a little patience and prep. I wasn't happy with the results brushing it so I sprayed two coats after sanding the brushed coats lightly with 600 grit sandpaper.

Looks good how much is that stuff?

Post a reply to: 1986 Cr250 resto

The Latest