1986 CR 250 will live again.

ledger
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2013 3:51pm
I have a 1986 CR 250 that was given to me as an anniversary gift.This bike has great potential but is in need of some MAJOR LOVE.I've noticed Bempa has the same bike, and could someone chime in on what brand the seat cover is on his bike? I like the stitching (seam's) and color of that particular cover.I also plan on posting a few pic's of this ride,I'm just not very computer savvy.My goal is to flip this bike to showroom condition and then race the dog sh## out of it.Anyway,any help is more than appreciated.
|
mad300exc
1/18/2013 3:42pm
ledger wrote:
I have a 1986 CR 250 that was given to me as an anniversary gift.This bike has great potential but is in need of some MAJOR...
I have a 1986 CR 250 that was given to me as an anniversary gift.This bike has great potential but is in need of some MAJOR LOVE.I've noticed Bempa has the same bike, and could someone chime in on what brand the seat cover is on his bike? I like the stitching (seam's) and color of that particular cover.I also plan on posting a few pic's of this ride,I'm just not very computer savvy.My goal is to flip this bike to showroom condition and then race the dog sh## out of it.Anyway,any help is more than appreciated.
There's a couple seat covers out there.
The one you are talking about with the stiched seam is the better of the two I know of.

I bought the one on Ebay from Thailand and it's ok, but a little tough to fit.

I think the one you are talking about comes from the UK.

I'd spend the money on the good one if I had to do it again.

Also rebuilding an 86 for race not show.

Mike
ledger
1/18/2013 5:16pm
ledger wrote:
I have a 1986 CR 250 that was given to me as an anniversary gift.This bike has great potential but is in need of some MAJOR...
mad300exc wrote:
There's a couple seat covers out there. The one you are talking about with the stiched seam is the better of the two I know of...
There's a couple seat covers out there.
The one you are talking about with the stiched seam is the better of the two I know of.

I bought the one on Ebay from Thailand and it's ok, but a little tough to fit.

I think the one you are talking about comes from the UK.

I'd spend the money on the good one if I had to do it again.

Also rebuilding an 86 for race not show.

Mike
That's great info,I'll certainly look into the cover from the UK and hopefully I'll get lucky.These older CR's are still impressive bike's for their age.This bike has a 1990 motor in the cradle and I dont know if this is good or bad other than the corrosion issue.Thank's for your time Mike.Alan.
MaicoJC1
1/18/2013 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 5:37pm
One of the best places I've ever used....Takes about 10-14 days to arrive from the UK -- but it's well worth the wait. BTW, they have the absolute best tank decals made -- period.

http://mxm.co.uk/?page_id=17&category=42
ledger
1/18/2013 6:27pm
MaicoJC1 wrote:
One of the best places I've ever used....Takes about 10-14 days to arrive from the UK -- but it's well worth the wait. BTW, they have...
One of the best places I've ever used....Takes about 10-14 days to arrive from the UK -- but it's well worth the wait. BTW, they have the absolute best tank decals made -- period.

http://mxm.co.uk/?page_id=17&category=42
MaicoJC1 and Mike,I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.When I clicked the link,it was like the heaven's opened up and said here I am !!! That's the cover I have spent about two week's searching for.Being 51 year's old,I felt like a kid in a candy store.Thank's again,I'm going shopping.

The Shop

MaicoJC1
1/18/2013 6:46pm
Glad I could ledger. To keep you motivated here's a link from the 1986 Carlsbad Gold State National MX.

ledger
1/18/2013 7:17pm
MaicoJC1 wrote:
Glad I could ledger. To keep you motivated here's a link from the 1986 Carlsbad Gold State National MX.

As Edith Bunker would sing,,,,,"THOSE WERE THE DAY'S", and they were.That was a great watch.Respect and honor,you've earned it.Thank you MJC1
mad300exc
1/19/2013 4:01am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2013 1:58pm
Ledger,
Good luck with your project 86.
This was my first "project" bike. I'm back into riding after about 20 years. We are close in age so I know where you are going with this.
I wouldn't go too crazy with the resto until you dive into the motor.

There's plenty of new parts still available, but there are some hard to find pcs.
Just watch out if you are searching FleaBay for parts. Some will advertise parts that fit CR250 when they really are for a 125.
I got stuck on a brake pedel. they guy had it listed as a 250 part because he thought they fit all models. WRONG!

Also, I've searched and read through some of the old posts. Some people make suggestions that are completely wrong.
Be careful.

I'm about two months or so into my project and having a blast now that it's coming together.

I had a new 85 and 86 CR back in the day and it's cool to have the bike again.
Let me know how you are making out.

BTW, if you are looking for wide foot pegs, 2001 YZ pegs fit with some modification. they work well.
ledger
1/19/2013 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2013 4:24pm
mad300exc wrote:
Ledger, Good luck with your project 86. This was my first "project" bike. I'm back into riding after about 20 years. We are close in age...
Ledger,
Good luck with your project 86.
This was my first "project" bike. I'm back into riding after about 20 years. We are close in age so I know where you are going with this.
I wouldn't go too crazy with the resto until you dive into the motor.

There's plenty of new parts still available, but there are some hard to find pcs.
Just watch out if you are searching FleaBay for parts. Some will advertise parts that fit CR250 when they really are for a 125.
I got stuck on a brake pedel. they guy had it listed as a 250 part because he thought they fit all models. WRONG!

Also, I've searched and read through some of the old posts. Some people make suggestions that are completely wrong.
Be careful.

I'm about two months or so into my project and having a blast now that it's coming together.

I had a new 85 and 86 CR back in the day and it's cool to have the bike again.
Let me know how you are making out.

BTW, if you are looking for wide foot pegs, 2001 YZ pegs fit with some modification. they work well.
Hi mad300,seem's we are in the same boat and on the same page.I totally agree with you on the part's,I've seen listing's for this 86 and really had to do my research before I buy.I'm into the motor right now which is a 1990 motor that need's a total rebuild so this restore is gonna be timely,but that's ok.These CR's and a few other's are the HEART of motocross in my opinion and are still plenty powerful.I purchased a set of used YZ peg's but have yet to try them .Any info you can inform me of is a welcome at any time.Thank's for your time and input,it's appreciated.Alan.Also,I would like to see your bike.
mad300exc
1/19/2013 2:01pm
Meant to say YZ 2001 Pegs not KX....
I want to buy and re-do a KX next so it's on the brain.
ledger
1/19/2013 3:19pm
mad300exc wrote:
Meant to say YZ 2001 Pegs not KX....
I want to buy and re-do a KX next so it's on the brain.
That's comfirmation I purchased the right peg's,so that's good new's.My brain cell's are telling me YZ for the next go-round.We have a disease,but it's a good one.Thumb's up.
1/19/2013 7:58pm
I am parting out a complete 85 CR250. If there is anything you need let me know. I will give you a good deal.
ledger
1/19/2013 9:44pm
718 wrote:
I am parting out a complete 85 CR250. If there is anything you need let me know. I will give you a good deal.
I will keep that in mind and thank's for the offer 718.I'm sure I'm gonna need something, as I can already see this restore is gonna be costly.Thank's.Ledger.
1/19/2013 9:47pm
What kind of shape is yor plastic in?
mad300exc
1/20/2013 5:13am
718 wrote:
ledger wrote:
I will keep that in mind and thank's for the offer 718.I'm sure I'm gonna need something, as I can already see this restore is gonna...
I will keep that in mind and thank's for the offer 718.I'm sure I'm gonna need something, as I can already see this restore is gonna be costly.Thank's.Ledger.
Network around for parts, there's a lot of guys hording these bikes.

Depends on how far you want to take it. Lots of guys on these forums are building show bikes which is cool.

I'm building a bike to race 80's class mx and just have fun.

I overheard someone say, good thing about racing vintage is my bike will still be old next year.
ledger
1/20/2013 1:20pm
718 wrote:
What kind of shape is yor plastic in?
Purchased all plastic's two week's ago,but thank's.
ledger
1/20/2013 1:27pm
mad300exc wrote:
Here's mine. finished it today.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/01/20/IMG00113_20130120_1119_1_660068.jpg[/img]
Here's mine. finished it today.
Good look'in ride!!! Yep,I say she's RACE READY.I'm looking at buying a new EXCEL rear rim and I found one on ebay,the size is 18x2.15 but is listed for a 88 Suzuki although it is 36 spoke.Do you know if that would fit my 86 or are they bike specific? This is my first restore and I'm in the learning stage,also known as THE ROOKIE.Thank's.
mad300exc
1/20/2013 1:38pm
I really couldn't tell you for sure if it fits.
Maybe you could try the excel site for some info.

they all look generic to me.
ledger
1/20/2013 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2013 8:21pm
mad300exc wrote:
I really couldn't tell you for sure if it fits. Maybe you could try the excel site for some info. they all look generic to me...
I really couldn't tell you for sure if it fits.
Maybe you could try the excel site for some info.

they all look generic to me.
LOL,yep to me a wheel is a wheel and the comment about our bike's getting older is correct but funny.I like it that way.
mad300exc
1/20/2013 3:05pm
I didn't have to do my engine. the prior owner did all the work and at 60years old, he realized it was better off gone.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm going to follow the thread so keep it updated.

good luck
md
mad300exc
1/28/2013 7:42pm
Ledger,
here's a tip to make your airbox look like new.
clean it inside and out with GOOP hand cleaner. Not the stuff with grit in it but just the cream kind.
It cleans off all the grime and grease.
wipe it off then spread some petroleum jelly on it and let it sit for a bit. Wipe it a few times until it's dry.

Brings the plastic back to life.
ledger
1/28/2013 8:16pm
mad300exc wrote:
Ledger, here's a tip to make your airbox look like new. clean it inside and out with GOOP hand cleaner. Not the stuff with grit in...
Ledger,
here's a tip to make your airbox look like new.
clean it inside and out with GOOP hand cleaner. Not the stuff with grit in it but just the cream kind.
It cleans off all the grime and grease.
wipe it off then spread some petroleum jelly on it and let it sit for a bit. Wipe it a few times until it's dry.

Brings the plastic back to life.
Madd,you had to be reading my mind,I just walked in from the garage with airbox in hand,LOL. This airbox is in good shape but has Oklahoma clay baked on it.Thank's for the tip.I'm gonna GOOP it and put the jelly to her.Thank ya,appreciated.
dave.bonz.9
1/28/2013 8:51pm
I bought a 1985 and a 86 cr250 with the hopes of getting the two cr 250's running again .. After geting them home and looking at some of the things that were beat down on the bikes,,, I parted them both out on CL & ebay .. Both bikes had JUNK eng cases.. both bikes had the oil drain pugs riped right out of the cases,,both bikes had the water pump sidecovers junked .. both had bad cyn's and many many more things wrong with them,,, I wont be even looking at the 84 -86 cr's at all,,get the 87's and up or the pre 82 cr's
and be happy
dave.bonz.9
1/28/2013 9:02pm
I have the paint to paint the frame of the 85 - 86 cr 250 that you can't get anywhere,, i Had it made for me by a body shop,,paint clear,,harder,,thinner to do the job right !!!! let me know it's a water born paint and clear that when dry is way hard and will last... $ 80.00 for all the stuff,, i paid alot more..
ledger
1/28/2013 10:02pm
I have the paint to paint the frame of the 85 - 86 cr 250 that you can't get anywhere,, i Had it made for me...
I have the paint to paint the frame of the 85 - 86 cr 250 that you can't get anywhere,, i Had it made for me by a body shop,,paint clear,,harder,,thinner to do the job right !!!! let me know it's a water born paint and clear that when dry is way hard and will last... $ 80.00 for all the stuff,, i paid alot more..
Sorry to hear bout your ride's.I ran into the same thing somewhat on this bike,but the motor is a 90 model and run's like a scalded ape and overall good condition.I appreciate the offer for the paint but I just found a guy that's gonna do the frame.Thank ya dave.b.
mad300exc
1/29/2013 4:32am
Bummer about the bikes.
The guy who owned my bike did all the engine work, replaced the side cases etc.
He got sick of the project and decided to race cars instead.

I got lucky to find one close to home in the right condition.

This is my first project bike, but I've learned quite a bit.

Everyone told me if you are going to restore an old bike, go air cooled.

my next one will be a true vintage bike.
zaz696
1/30/2013 8:58am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2013 9:02am
mad300exc wrote:
Bummer about the bikes. The guy who owned my bike did all the engine work, replaced the side cases etc. He got sick of the project...
Bummer about the bikes.
The guy who owned my bike did all the engine work, replaced the side cases etc.
He got sick of the project and decided to race cars instead.

I got lucky to find one close to home in the right condition.

This is my first project bike, but I've learned quite a bit.

Everyone told me if you are going to restore an old bike, go air cooled.

my next one will be a true vintage bike.
I agree with mad300 regarding the air cooled models. I prefer my cr 480 with the corrct mods over the 84-5-6 250's anyway. That being said, if you find a complete,running cr250 of these years, that has a waterpump area that is in one piece, there is hope. Media blast out the corrosion, clean with some white vinegar, and coat the inside with JB weld. Use a heat gun if needed to get the epoxy to flow correctly and rebuild with new waterpump parts. Run only fresh, distilled water as coolant, and drain it when you are done riding. My 85 250 has been running like this for years, the epoxy has not degraded at all. I think it has about 25 race weekends on it.

PS- save the drama of cleaning the magnesium out of the rads and pop for the chinese units ($150-200).
ledger
1/30/2013 5:59pm
mad300exc wrote:
How did you make out with that airbox?
FANTASTIC !!! I'll have to get a picture of it on here.HUGE DIFFERENCE.Your the man.Thumb's up to you.Been sanding on the bottom portion of the fork's to remove small pitt's.This is a lot of work.Thank's mad300,appreciated.Ledger.

Post a reply to: 1986 CR 250 will live again.

The Latest