4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

1983 Honda CR480

LouDog

C100

Posts: 675

Joined: 11/8/2008

Location: Wildomar, CA USA

3/7/2013 5:01 PM

Does anyone have any info for aftermarket parts, pipes, hop up tricks, foot pegs, plastics, etc. Im thinking about getting one and racing vintage races. Ive found a few but some of these guys seem to want alot for them. Thanks Louie

reded

C100_bailey_gainesville85_001

Posts: 2078

Joined: 3/26/2011

Location: KS, USA

3/7/2013 5:09 PM

The 1983 CR480 is a damn fine dirtbike. The suspension was a little soft but they handled well and the motor was strong with fairly broad spread.

The worst part about the 480 is starting it. They're notoriously stubborn to start and the left side kicker doesn't help matters. I believe the trick to starting was priming them by blowing into the overflow tube on the carb.

ben990

C100

Posts: 5

Joined: 10/20/2011

Location: Honeoye Falls, NY USA

3/7/2013 6:33 PM

I have a 1984 Honda CR480 and it is awesome vintage weapon! Parts are fairly easy to come by, but as reded said, they are somewhat hard to start.

DC Plastics (http://www.dcvmx.com) has a lot of stuff for this bike.

I put a decompression button on the cylinder head, and it makes it 1000 times easier to start. It was an easy mod and works great. I also put wider stock CR footpegs on it, and a kick starter from a TRX quad, which seems to let me give it a better kick.

newmann

C100_614585238_1207253287

Posts: 14280

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

3/7/2013 7:54 PM

LouDog wrote: Does anyone have any info for aftermarket parts, pipes, hop up tricks, foot pegs, plastics, etc. Im thinking about getting one and racing vintage races. Ive found a few but some of these guys seem to want alot for them. Thanks Louie

Peter at VMXracing.com has loads of stuff for the CR480. His plastics are nice, shiny looking stuff whereas the DC plastics are dull and grainy looking. They have bllet triples that give you better bar positioning if you don't like the layback positioning of the stockers. Pipes silencers, decals, air filters, big pegs, seat foams and covers .....all there and usually in stock. Race Tech has put a lot of time into vintage suspension program and can make the suspension work great. Front forks with minor machining can allow you to install the 87 CR250 upper tubes and internals into the lower legs which have the backing plate lug for the drum brakes. The 87 CR250 forks are still considered some of the best that ever were.

Good luck and post up some pics when you get going.

LouDog

C100

Posts: 675

Joined: 11/8/2008

Location: Wildomar, CA USA

3/8/2013 8:43 AM

Thanks everyone for your info. Im also hearing some guys are modifing the flywheel and putting on a flat side carb is this necessary. Thanks again.

FreshTopEnd

C100_617301428_1208215675

Posts: 9161

Joined: 8/16/2006

Location: Sacramento, CA USA

3/8/2013 8:46 AM

I believe the late model TRX kicker works on those and is an improvement. A guy was selling them as "custom made" awhile back. I picked a couple up to see if they could be adapted to replace the POS on the 78-80 250, but got help through another avenue. So, be happy to off those to anyone for what I paid if interested.

@ftemoto


zaz696

C100_98125320_1274292567

Posts: 30

Joined: 5/19/2010

Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

3/9/2013 8:28 AM

Lou,
I've been racing an 83 for several years and have had good luck with it. Decomperssor is a good mod if you are older or have bad knees. I use a stock pipe, Dg silencer and Mossbarger reeds, 16oz flywheel weight, stock motor otherwise and it works fine. Modern YZ pegs fit with a little grinding, I use the 87 fork internals and it works great but Race Tech can set you up with emulators and springs. Rear springs are hard to find, but an 82 spring works good as it is much heavier than the 83. I use a WP shock and Simons link and the overall package is OK. If you are racing AHRMA you are stuck with the stock carb or a Mikuni TM flatslide, but a carb off a modern cr 500 works best.
There is a guy on the cr 480 yahoo group that makes flywheel weights and repop Simons Links. Hope this helps!

LouDog

C100

Posts: 675

Joined: 11/8/2008

Location: Wildomar, CA USA

3/9/2013 9:54 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote: I believe the late model TRX kicker works on those and is an improvement. A guy was selling them as "custom made" awhile back. I picked a couple up to see if they could be adapted to replace the POS on the 78-80 250, but got help through another avenue. So, be happy to off those to anyone for what I paid if interested.

Hey FTE how much are the kick starters.

LouDog

C100

Posts: 675

Joined: 11/8/2008

Location: Wildomar, CA USA

3/9/2013 9:58 AM

LouDog wrote: Does anyone have any info for aftermarket parts, pipes, hop up tricks, foot pegs, plastics, etc. Im thinking about getting one and racing vintage races. Ive found a few but some of these guys seem to want alot for them. Thanks Louie

newmann wrote: Peter at VMXracing.com has loads of stuff for the CR480. His plastics are nice, shiny looking stuff whereas the DC plastics are dull and grainy looking. They have bllet triples that give you better bar positioning if you don't like the layback positioning of the stockers. Pipes silencers, decals, air filters, big pegs, seat foams and covers .....all there and usually in stock. Race Tech has put a lot of time into vintage suspension program and can make the suspension work great. Front forks with minor machining can allow you to install the 87 CR250 upper tubes and internals into the lower legs which have the backing plate lug for the drum brakes. The 87 CR250 forks are still considered some of the best that ever were.

Good luck and post up some pics when you get going.

Thanks Newman I get on here all the time and I have to say you have alot of bitchen bikes. Thanks Louie

LouDog

C100

Posts: 675

Joined: 11/8/2008

Location: Wildomar, CA USA

3/9/2013 9:59 AM

zaz696 wrote: Lou,
I've been racing an 83 for several years and have had good luck with it. Decomperssor is a good mod if you are older or have bad knees. I use a stock pipe, Dg silencer and Mossbarger reeds, 16oz flywheel weight, stock motor otherwise and it works fine. Modern YZ pegs fit with a little grinding, I use the 87 fork internals and it works great but Race Tech can set you up with emulators and springs. Rear springs are hard to find, but an 82 spring works good as it is much heavier than the 83. I use a WP shock and Simons link and the overall package is OK. If you are racing AHRMA you are stuck with the stock carb or a Mikuni TM flatslide, but a carb off a modern cr 500 works best.
There is a guy on the cr 480 yahoo group that makes flywheel weights and repop Simons Links. Hope this helps!

Thanks zaz696 thats alot of good info.
Post a Reply to: 1983 Honda CR480

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm