1983 Honda CR250 clutch cover…the $500.00 question

Mike P.
Edited Date/Time 4/24/2018 6:39pm
Below is a photo of my stock 83 CR250 clutch cover and the one I just spent $550.00 for on ebay. I created this post because this is the question I was faced with when an aftermarket aluminum case appeared on ebay. I think the $550.00 was well spent and this is why:

An 81 clutch cover sold a couple of week ago on ebay for like $450.00. I looked hard at this case but I decided it against it for two reasons. First, I had dealing with the seller in the past (I bought a bike from him) and upon picking it up in Baltimore, it was not what he stated and secondly, had I bought that cover it would require stripping (it was red and the paint was in poor condition), doing figure 8’s on Emory cloth to ensure it was not warped, priming, powdercoating and then all the parts. So by the time I got done I would be out like $700.0 dollars in parts & labor counting the cover. Prior to buying my cover, another came on ebay a couple of days ago that look similar to the one that just sold for $450.00. I like the work, but for $550.00 I got a new aluminum cover with all the parts (except the dowels and the seals for the shifter & kickstarter (under $20.00), plus the spickets can be removed/replaced (you have to replace the entire case or have them welded on the stocker if they break or crack). So I think at $550.00 and I never have to touch it again is a bargain price. The seller will likely have a few more for sell soon, so if you see them on ebay and you have this bike, I highly recommend you spend the money to put the headache created by Honda behind you. Mike

|
notme
1/24/2015 3:36pm
Are these covers made by that guy in AUS, Russel Brown? I know there was another source of reproductions that looked much better then the aus one. I hope you got one of those...? I would agree on the money well spent over another mag one.

What do you make of the aussie ones with the really rough sand casting? I appreciate the guys effort to make these to keep more bikes running but damn....those look like shit.
newmann
1/24/2015 5:28pm
I paid $300.00 plus freight ,plus some money spent welding a crack in the aluminum on a 1981 CR250 cover for our 83. Had to massage the new Pro Form exhaust since the 81 cover routes the hoses differently as well as having to jack around making coolant lines mate up. You're splitting hairs, it was money well spent if you are building a bike to ride. Enjoy it, you can't take it with you!!Smile
Mike P.
1/25/2015 6:43am
I have not tried to mount the radiator hoses or the exhaust (hope I did not get one of those cases as I just went through that whole drill of massaging radiator hoses mounting a Works exhaust on one of my other bikes). Not sure if this case came from Aus, but this one does not look bad at all although the guy i got it from did paint it.

My stock cover was previously repaired (professionally) and it sprung another leak (this is why I bought this one). I do not work with metal but I image that regardless if you weld the stock case or JB weld it, you are still working with two different metals or materials and somehow over time the radiator fluid finds its way through so I agree with Newmann and plan to enjoy it the aluminum case and put the headache behind me.
MaxPower
1/25/2015 10:33am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2015 4:08pm
Yes its worth the cost. Still less than a new 4 stroke exhaust. Whats saved if you spend hundreds to race an event and you have coolant dripping near your foot after practice.? Or worse you run out of coolant while riding.
To someone else that doesn't enjoy vintage motocross like us like my wife they would think it's crazy to spend that money.

The Shop

Honda88L
1/25/2015 12:24pm
Mike - in order to clear the pipe you are going to need a spigot that looks like this for the forward one. It looks like the one you have goes straight up. I think the guy that makes them might be the guy in Australia but I bet the guy you bought it from on ebay might know also. I can't remember who sent me this picture but I think it was someone on Vital. Can't find anything on it though.

I lived the nightmare- was running a 45 minute GP when all of the sludge from the epoxy collected around the impeller wheel and caused it to jam, shaft striped -SIEZE..........

I was looking at getting one when I happened across and 81 in decent shape. I bead blasted it and then had a friend that is real good at welding angle the spigot like the 83. The 81 goes straight up. He didn't do it as much as I needed so I had to dent my pipe slightly. Much better not worrying about it for sure! I still run Evans Waterless just because....

jtracing6
1/25/2015 2:15pm
I bought an aluminium one for my 1986 CR125 and haven't regretted it. I had to ream very slightly the hole for the kickstart shaft and powder coat it. I even got a matching Honda Racing aluminium ignition cover.

Mike P.
1/25/2015 2:16pm
Looks good. I may have to go the "dent my pipe" route...
Honda88L
1/25/2015 4:57pm
I think with the cover you have you won't have to as long as you get the angled spigot like in the picture above. Yours thread out don't they? I thought you just have to take the straight one out and put in the angled one.
Mike P.
4/5/2015 8:53pm
Update on that angled spigot, it arrived as promised by Goodstuffracing and I installed it and it looks great! I believe he is going to start selling the covers with them (but check with him on this). Either way, it looks great on my 83. Mike

Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
4/19/2018 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2018 6:39pm
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just bought an 83 CR 250 that I thought was in great shape. "Rebuilt and ready to go"...not so much. Started it up and rode it up the road and the next day there was a puddle of coolant all over my garage floor. Looking closer at the side cover/water pump area I could see a lot of repair/silicone. Obviously not doing the job.

So I found this 82 CR 250 side cover on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/82-HONDA-CR250R-CR250-CR-250R-Crankcase-Clutch…

Can't find where this goodstuffracing place is to get spigot. Any other suggestions of people making side covers?
Mike P.
4/24/2018 6:38pm
I have not been on Vital for probably close to 2 years due to a move out west (haven't even had time to work or build bikes), but I do own an 83 and put that aluminum 82 cover on my bike and I can tell you the leaking stopped. It will fit your bike and worth the $500 (see below photo of it on my bike). The only thing I wished I could find is an HRC Honda mag cover. Mike

Post a reply to: 1983 Honda CR250 clutch cover…the $500.00 question

The Latest