1979 YZ value

sandman768
2/27/2015 3:12pm
if you restored it, you know what you have into it, if you are a potential buyer, ask for all receipts, if no receipts for internal engine work/parts, assume it was not done. one way or another you will pay, if you buy a clapped out beater & restore it, the $ adds up fast, if you buy a nicely done bike, I would expect to pay at least 1500-2000, with that said, there at several factors, oem parts or aftermarket? oem plastic can cost alot more than aftermarket. upgrades done? has all the hardware been replated? does bike have handmade parts? to me the best bike you can buy is a unmolested bike that needs a little tlc, then you can do it the way you want to do it.
2/27/2015 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 8:46pm
I wouldn't want to give a price without pictures to start with. I will say this. The 1979 YZ125 is not the most desirable of the lot so it's dinged straight out of the gate there. However, if someone is into the bike because they had one growing up it's a whole different dimension to pricing as sentimental value comes in. As a race bike for the average vintage racer you're at a disadvantage. One of these days I'm going to build one as for some reason I'm a magnet to these dang 79 models. It will be a resto queen with a few trick parts on it and I doubt I would ever get the money back out of it that I will sink into it.

Sandman is right though. Are you using OEM NOS plastic or something else? The nuts and bolts and all else, is it stock and in like new condition? That brings several hundred more to the educated buyer on these bikes.
2/28/2015 5:54am
I picked up a nicely restored 1980 yz 250 a little while back for 1400. When the previous owner started talking about how much money he had in it I thought he was going to raise the price on me. It was really nice though. Looked brand new aside from the gas tank. Hope that helps. Put a sign on it at vintage races. Someone will want it.
PN27416
3/2/2015 8:19am
I have one and they don't seam to bring a lot as I always look. $1500

Post a reply to: 1979 YZ value

The Latest