1979 YZ 400 parts

sandman768
I have several good usable parts for above model, the 79 is 1 yr only on a lot of parts, so these are not ez to come by. Used tranny gears & clutch inner hub & pressure plate, good usable parts. Decent Oem rear chain guide. Usable stock pipe, 38 mm forks, triples, brake plate, axle, spacers & nut. Usable swingarm bolt, needs thread cleaned up. New Oem crank seal, upper shock bushing/bearing. Usable 82.5mm piston, will need new rings. PayPal only. Still have bike for sale these all came off, in my avatar, 3500.00, buy the bike, get all spares incl"d. If does not sell before Unadilla rewind, I can bring everything to rewind. Thanks, I know we have the bazar, but figured this would appeal more to this crowd.

|
450exc115
6/26/2016 4:53am
I see you are running the DG pipe on your YZ400, do you remember what jetting you are running. I'm having a hell of a time getting mine sorted out.

Thanks
sandman768
6/26/2016 5:44am

Photo of tech data sheet for the 79 400f. As per data sheet stock jetting is : main 420...pilot: 85..needle: q-4...clip position: 6f8-2? Slide cutaway: 4....float level: 18.1+\-1mm.... My bike had a brand new carb on it when I purchased it, Stock needle & jets were swapped over, . I run 75% 91 non ethanol with 25% sunoco leaded 110 mixed 32:1 with amsoil dominator synthetic. I never ran the needle in 2nd clip, started on 3rd clip, good for tighter tracts, maybe woods riding, I have never ridden this bike in the woods. With clip position on #3, it had good throttle response, very little spooge from pipe & silencer. My local MX track is tight with short straights & jumps, not a very good vintage bike track, that jetting worked good there, then I went to Unadilla 2 years ago & the jetting was too lean, much faster & wide open, the bike needed more fuel, so I moved clip to the 4th position, a little blubbery off idle, but runs better mid-top. I think these old air cooled open bikes like to be on the rich side. I guess it depends on what type of riding your doing, but don"t ever think you will get these things jetted 100% spot on throughout the entire range... My bike is for sale if you know anyone interested, I"m a Suzuki guy, so would be willing to work a deal with a certain yr RM 250.
450exc115
6/26/2016 8:37pm
Thanks for sharing. Interesting that you ran close to stock even with the DG pipe. Either my carb has issues or it's because I have it bored to 85mm (IT 425 piston) with some minor port work (cleaned up everything and opened the exhaust width some) that it is running so weird. It's rich but if I clean it out on a long straight away it then revs to the moon like it is lean.
sandman768
6/27/2016 5:51am
The pipe came on the bike when I bought it, I have the stock pipe but never used it, who knows, it may run better with the stock pipe...my engine is brand new from top to bottom, 2nd overbore, stock porting, new boysen reeds. It has a quick burst of power but signs off early, typical short shift style of power, over revving just produces noise! Sometimes it feels like the clutch is slipping but everything in the clutch was replaced accept the basket which was in good condition...I think the motor comes on so fast it breaks the rear wheel loose easily... maybe try a plug chop test wide open, richer main?

The Shop

450exc115
6/27/2016 6:14am
Yup that sounds like the 79 YZ400. My motor is mostly fresh, bottom end last year and fresh topend this year. I tried to preserve it as a 400 but couldn't find a 4th over piston and ended up going the 425 route. It's got boyseen reeds, mild porting and the DG pipe. Last year with a loose topend my jetting was 95 pilot and 490 main on the middle clip. Ran great all year long and would start in gear (our hs racing is dead engine starts). Right now I'm running 110 pilot and 530 main. It's a tad rich but this closed rev to the moon and lazy off idle feel has me baffled.

Post a reply to: 1979 YZ 400 parts

The Latest