1979 YZ 100

KXCRYZRM
Edited Date/Time 8/5/2015 2:04pm

This the 1979 YZ I put some work into, probably not impressive to most people, it was a budget project by a 16 year old (me). Sandblasted and spray painted everything. Put in everything it needed, brakes, cables, head gasket, fork and engine seals. Also did the seat myself. It was my Dad's bike, bought as a leftover in 1980, never ridden hard, just ridden around a field most of the time, still runs beautiful on the original piston...I have pics of the build process that I will upload soon
|
7/7/2015 4:04am
Great to see you doing all your own work and that bike is so original and has a history. Even looks like the original bars. Hope you get to race it some time...
Honda88L
7/7/2015 4:19am
Great work, looks like you put the time in. To really make it complete get some tank decals. You can't go wrong with Wicked Tough - sold on Ebay and at Speed and Sport in PA. They are much thicker and don't peel off or disintegrate when gas gets on them. Below is speed and sport = they say they are for a 1980 - to my knowledge they are the same on the tank in 79 and 80. Maybe another YZ expert can confirm that. You can buy just the tank or an entire kit for the 1980. Not sure but I would think the 100 in the kit would go on the side panels. See below. Not matter what - nice work.

http://www.nosyamahadecals.com/store/index.php?controller=search&orderb…
Hasletjoe
7/7/2015 8:46am
Terrific job there! I think you put some laps on it as well. You have done a great job. Seldom see a bike that is absolutely perfect (although several on this site are by my standards) as we all have different opinions. You bike looks great as Honda88L suggested, some tank decals and it will shine.
newmann
7/7/2015 9:47am
My brother had a 78 model way back when. Sweet bike.

The Shop

7/7/2015 9:51am
Very nice.

It's great to see someone so young appreciate things from the past and actually put in the work themselves to bring them back to pristine condition.

Shows there is hope for at least some of the younger generation, your Dad must be pleased as well.

7/7/2015 11:04am
That's the bike I should of gotten back then and not the YZ80, got too small awful quick
and the frames were so fragile and break prone.
Nice job !
KXCRYZRM
7/8/2015 12:50am
Great to see you doing all your own work and that bike is so original and has a history. Even looks like the original bars. Hope...
Great to see you doing all your own work and that bike is so original and has a history. Even looks like the original bars. Hope you get to race it some time...
Thanks so much...original bars and everything. Been trying to find somewhere to race up here in Northern California with no luck.
KXCRYZRM
7/8/2015 12:51am
That's the bike I should of gotten back then and not the YZ80, got too small awful quick and the frames were so fragile and break...
That's the bike I should of gotten back then and not the YZ80, got too small awful quick
and the frames were so fragile and break prone.
Nice job !
Funny story...my dad later felt he should have gotten the 79 YZ 125 instead!
KXCRYZRM
7/8/2015 12:55am
Very nice. It's great to see someone so young appreciate things from the past and actually put in the work themselves to bring them back to...
Very nice.

It's great to see someone so young appreciate things from the past and actually put in the work themselves to bring them back to pristine condition.

Shows there is hope for at least some of the younger generation, your Dad must be pleased as well.

My Dad always said "Why even bother with that rusty old bike?" I brought it to our current home, it sat for years from where he grew up and I was like here is the deal. I love this thing and Im not gonna let it stay out in that barn and rot away! He was very happy with it in the end. I love old bikes because they are just plain cool. Without the old bikes we wouldn't have new bikes!
KXCRYZRM
7/8/2015 12:57am
newmann wrote:
My brother had a 78 model way back when. Sweet bike.
Thanks! Found both a 78 and a 79 on craigslist a while back.
KXCRYZRM
7/8/2015 12:59am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2015 12:59am
Hasletjoe wrote:
Terrific job there! I think you put some laps on it as well. You have done a great job. Seldom see a bike that is absolutely...
Terrific job there! I think you put some laps on it as well. You have done a great job. Seldom see a bike that is absolutely perfect (although several on this site are by my standards) as we all have different opinions. You bike looks great as Honda88L suggested, some tank decals and it will shine.
Thank you! I had absolutely no idea I could get tank decals that would withstand the gas. I will have to look into that for sure
KXCRYZRM
7/8/2015 1:02am
Honda88L wrote:
Great work, looks like you put the time in. To really make it complete get some tank decals. You can't go wrong with Wicked Tough -...
Great work, looks like you put the time in. To really make it complete get some tank decals. You can't go wrong with Wicked Tough - sold on Ebay and at Speed and Sport in PA. They are much thicker and don't peel off or disintegrate when gas gets on them. Below is speed and sport = they say they are for a 1980 - to my knowledge they are the same on the tank in 79 and 80. Maybe another YZ expert can confirm that. You can buy just the tank or an entire kit for the 1980. Not sure but I would think the 100 in the kit would go on the side panels. See below. Not matter what - nice work.

http://www.nosyamahadecals.com/store/index.php?controller=search&orderb…
Thanks! About 4 months after school and on weekends... I will definately look into getting some tank decals that would withstand the gas, which is really why I didnt even bother putting some on. I still need another side panel because the one currently on the bike is very oxidized, the side panel is very hard to find! Then I will put the "100" stickers on there.
Honda88L
7/8/2015 4:56am
By the picture it looks like you need the right side cover. Depending on how bad it is you can try to clean them up with some time and effort. Heat gun, sand paper, compounds like Novus, etc. There are probably examples of ways to do this on this site if you search.

It does appear Speed and Sport also has an NOS one available but it is not cheap at $132! They tend to have a decent stock of NOS Yamaha parts. I would call though to verify it is in fact the right side cover rather than just ordering it online. I am near positive the one they have is the right and not the left but I would check.

http://store.speedandsportinc.com/ It won't let me paste the exact page but go on this and search the model in the upper left hand corner. When you get to the 79 YZ100 go to frame cover for EF models.

KXCRYZRM
7/8/2015 9:04pm
Honda88L wrote:
By the picture it looks like you need the right side cover. Depending on how bad it is you can try to clean them up with...
By the picture it looks like you need the right side cover. Depending on how bad it is you can try to clean them up with some time and effort. Heat gun, sand paper, compounds like Novus, etc. There are probably examples of ways to do this on this site if you search.

It does appear Speed and Sport also has an NOS one available but it is not cheap at $132! They tend to have a decent stock of NOS Yamaha parts. I would call though to verify it is in fact the right side cover rather than just ordering it online. I am near positive the one they have is the right and not the left but I would check.

http://store.speedandsportinc.com/ It won't let me paste the exact page but go on this and search the model in the upper left hand corner. When you get to the 79 YZ100 go to frame cover for EF models.

I believe that the panel is beyond repair... I have tried just about everything. Those side panels aren't cheap at all! I found one on ebay for $165 which is crazy!
moore433
8/4/2015 4:01am
I believe my old yz 100 is still sitting down in my dad's she'd where it's been since about 1982..
KXCRYZRM
8/4/2015 11:33am
moore433 wrote:
I believe my old yz 100 is still sitting down in my dad's she'd where it's been since about 1982..
Never get rid of it! Someone, some day will take an interest in it...everyone in my family thought of this as "that loud yellow bike out in the barn" no one cared about it, except me!
Mini Elsinore
8/5/2015 2:04pm
KXCRYZRM wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/07/97036/s1200_michaelhale28_28.jpg[/img] This the 1979 YZ I put some work into, probably not impressive to most people, it was a budget project by a 16 year old...

This the 1979 YZ I put some work into, probably not impressive to most people, it was a budget project by a 16 year old (me). Sandblasted and spray painted everything. Put in everything it needed, brakes, cables, head gasket, fork and engine seals. Also did the seat myself. It was my Dad's bike, bought as a leftover in 1980, never ridden hard, just ridden around a field most of the time, still runs beautiful on the original piston...I have pics of the build process that I will upload soon
Bravo! Young man, you are welcome to hang out in my garage any time!

Post a reply to: 1979 YZ 100

The Latest