175 Fixer upper

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2016 6:45pm
I'm making this post as both a build thread and a looking for help thread. So please, any advice, insight, suggestions, what have you... I could use it. This is my first vintage bike and my first Yamaha. My first bike was a 2003, so this thing is foreign to me.

Onto the bike. I picked up a 1979 Yamaha MX175, not running but mostly everything's there. Got it for a whole $200. Turning the engine over by hand, I could hear metal scraping (ouch) so needless to say the piston and cylinder are heavily scored. The crankshaft doesn't spin freely, and the con rod is nearly frozen. Transmission seems to go into each gear though. Someone spray painted the plastics and tank, I'll be interested to see what's underneath. Front brake isn't grabbing, I think the cable just needs adjusting though.

My goal is to turn the little Yamaha into a good putt putt bike for my mom and anyone else that wants to tag along to the trails. So I'll probably gear it down a tooth or 2 and maybe do some mild porting, but nothing extreme. Gotta keep some bottom end.
Budget is $400 not including anything fancy pancy I feel like doing lol

|
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/1/2016 9:36am
So far I've pulled the motor and scrubbed the frame clean. I'll be calling some machine shops about boring the cylinder and rebuilding the crank today.

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/1/2016 11:15am
Any suggestions on a place to bore the cylinder and rebuild the crank? Cheapest I've found to bore the cylinder is $50 and nobody wants to touch the crankshaft, if they even can.
newmann
4/1/2016 11:38am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2016 11:39am
Do you have a new rod, pin, bearing and thrust washers for the crank? Call Andrew Cooksey. He just returned one for our 83 CR250 last week that turned out excellent. Call before you ship.

http://www.cookseycrank.com/#!crank-rebuild/cfvg

Boring? I have found that no one locally chamfers ports or relieves exhaust bridges when they bore a cylinder so you have to go in and finish the job for them. I would call Millenium Technologies and ask about their boring process on iron bore cylinders. They have done many chrome lined cylinders for me and they have always been perfectly relieved and chamfered.

They also do cranks.

http://www.mt-llc.com/dirtbike.php

pete24
4/1/2016 11:41am
your kinda far but Harrys Machined Parts westboro ma 508-366-1455 will do both those jobs better than anyone ive been going there since the 70s

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/1/2016 11:49am
I don't have the rebuild kit for the crankshaft yet, wanted to see how much it'll cost to do. If I can't find anywhere reasonable then I'll just throw in a used crankshaft.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be giving them a call
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/1/2016 2:37pm
Got the swing arm pulled off and painted. I can't decide if I wanna paint the frame, there's a good bit of white overspray on it... so I wanna. But I don't want to do the work lol I'll probably end up painting it. Later tonight I'm gonna tackle the rims. Couple broken spokes on the front wheel, and both are rusty. Any suggestions for cleaning and plating the spokes? I'd prefer not having to lace these up so if I can get away with cleaning them in place that'd be awesome.

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
4/1/2016 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2016 5:09pm
I have one of those bikes. I gave it to a friend to keep on his farm to ride around. Great for putt putting around. Very torque engine. VHT makes a nice semi-gloss paint that looks great on frames and pipes. High temp and goes on nice.

This is a forum member that was doing some cylinders and cranks. Might be worth a look if you are inclined.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/crank-rebuilding-and-c…
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/2/2016 6:10pm
Thanks, I'll have to pick some up for the engine/exhaust. I used a rust eating paint on the frame and swing arm. It doesn't look all that great, but it works on the rust so I'm happy.

And thanks for the link. I was gonna send him a message about doing my crankshaft, but I saw my dad at my little brothers soccer game last night so I talked to him about the bike. Turns out he can do crankshafts! So shout out to my dad for saving me some cash. He's a great mechanic but I was unaware he had the tools at home for that.

I got the frame painted today, and polished the fork lowers. Neither look beautiful but I'm happy. Also tried to attack the wheels... but I can't get the damn tire off. Ripped the tube trying, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do there. Might hit the tire with a torch first lol

4/2/2016 6:41pm
If the wheel has a rim lock, you need to loosen the nut on it . Push the rim lock stud into the rim a bit . Make sure you get both sides of the bead broke free from the rim. Get some tire tools so you have a bit of leverage.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/2/2016 6:52pm
If the wheel has a rim lock, you need to loosen the nut on it . Push the rim lock stud into the rim a bit...
If the wheel has a rim lock, you need to loosen the nut on it . Push the rim lock stud into the rim a bit . Make sure you get both sides of the bead broke free from the rim. Get some tire tools so you have a bit of leverage.
I appreciate your advice but I've done all this lol its just a tire from hell. Feels like a truck tire
4/3/2016 5:56am
If the wheel has a rim lock, you need to loosen the nut on it . Push the rim lock stud into the rim a bit...
colintrax wrote:
I appreciate your advice but I've done all this lol its just a tire from hell. Feels like a truck tire
You can take the entire wheel, chuck it in a large bench vise, and use the vise as a bead breaker for the tough ones.
sjsingle1
4/3/2016 2:16pm
the old mx175....based on the 78 DT 175.....great little motors ......not much on suspension....plenty of parts since yammi kept this engine going on world wide models for many yrs

a mod i did on mine was to free flow the air box and enlarge the ports on the piston to match the cylinder .....and just about double the size on the carb jets......doubled the torque on that spunky engine !
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/8/2016 9:51pm
Haven't touched it much lately, still need to get the tire off lol
Found a piston/rings for $25... awesome except I remembered I don't know how much of an overbore the bike will need. The deepest gouge seems to be about .2mm deep, so a .5mm overbore SHOULD be enough. I'd hate to order the +.5 piston and need .75, or order the +.75 and remove more material than necessary. I did get the cylinder/head painted and came out pretty good. I think I'm gonna go port it right now.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/12/2016 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2016 8:35pm

Finally got around to painting the muffler today, and figured I'd check the packing. I'd say it needs to be repacked

Also, I should add. Ordered the .5 piston and received it. Looks good for being as cheap as it is. Also order the connecting rod, but no clue when I'll get it. $30 but it's coming from India
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/19/2016 9:51pm
Picked the cylinder up from the machine shop today, .5mm overbore was just barely enough. But all is well.

Finally got around to splitting the cases. Wasn't expecting any suprises so I wasn't in a hurry... shouldve been. There's a tooth missing off 1st gear. So pissed I done kicked all the parts all over the garage. Hopefully I can figure out how this all goes back together since I just have a pile of parts now. What I get for throwing a temper tantrum I reckon. On a side note, any links to cheap gears for an old yami? Just the output gear, everything else looks good in the transmission.
MT MX
4/25/2016 3:33pm
What's been the level of success in finding parts for this bike?
The reason I ask is I ran across a DIRT CHEAP '78 Kawasaki KL250 that I'm thinking about bringing home. It needs some work, but can be repaired at a decent price. Just wondering if parts are obsolete for these older bikes are if it is definitely a do-able project for me.
Thanks.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/25/2016 6:45pm
MT MX wrote:
What's been the level of success in finding parts for this bike? The reason I ask is I ran across a DIRT CHEAP '78 Kawasaki KL250...
What's been the level of success in finding parts for this bike?
The reason I ask is I ran across a DIRT CHEAP '78 Kawasaki KL250 that I'm thinking about bringing home. It needs some work, but can be repaired at a decent price. Just wondering if parts are obsolete for these older bikes are if it is definitely a do-able project for me.
Thanks.
You'd have to look for yourself, ebay has been a great resource. Seems like yamaha continued making the 175 for India and other Asian markets. So getting parts from overseas isn't an issue.... but finding them here (and cheap) is a different story.

I'd guess a Kawasaki 250 is relatively easy to find parts for. I mean there's guys restoring bikes I've never even heard of.

Post a reply to: 175 Fixer upper

The Latest