01 kx250-anything I need to know before I restore it?

Edited Date/Time 12/20/2014 10:13pm
Well, I sold my 97 rm250 yesterday because I have a torn rotator cuff. Booo. No riding til after surgery and recover, probably 6 months. Anywho, im getting a 2001 kx250 literally in a basket for $100 for project while im not riding. Is there anything I need to watch for specifically on this model? Any mods I need to perform for reliability while I rebuild the engine? It needs a cylinder, piston and crank: any brand recommendations? Thanks for any advice I can get!
|
barkhard696
7/6/2014 7:18am
I'd PM KidKawie or 718, they are the absolute Kwacker experts. As a theme you may want to consider GOAT's '01, that was the trickest '01 I've seen.
7/6/2014 5:17pm
Are there any places to get different color plastic for a 01 kx250? Im thinking white plastic and mint green frame/seat cover as an homage to the old ktm colors, or yellow (!) Plastic and blue frame. Just something different. Want to add an old 90's gp flavor to it instead of just stock colors ill add flo green frame and plastic if no other options can be found.
notme
7/9/2014 4:35pm
IDK on the plastic. And yes Kidkawi is the one to chime in on this bike. The only thing I know for sure on it is the weak factory plating, but it sounds like your jug is beyond that. Check the powervalves availability, it is very limited on the older kx's, not sure on this one.
it goes without saying, do your research on finding parts and weigh the cost vs desire on this bike. if theres a different model of bike you prefer over this kx, it will cost the same rebuilding top to bottom.

An article on pulpmx classic steel,
http://pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-old-moto-mags/gps-classic-steel/gps…

The Shop

7/9/2014 5:00pm
If I restore it, its going to be the bike I keep til its wore out. Im noticing parts availability isnt great, so if the boxes of parts arent complete or it needs gears or power valve parts then im out.
7/12/2014 1:01am
Were engine cases the same from 01-03? Im thinking I may well build a new engine using 03 cases, tranny and such since some 01 parts are nla. Or would 03 gears go into an 01? Also does anyoe know who can lightly surface the mating surfaces of these cases if it needs such? Doing it myself is NOT going to happen.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
7/12/2014 9:08am
The 03 was an all new bike, from what I remember.
As long as the mating surfaces are in good shape, you shouldn't need or want to alter them.
7/12/2014 4:21pm
If they are gouged badly I'd need an option. I haven't picked up the engine yet but judging from the rest of the bike I'd say not much care was taken in assuring the gasket surfaces went unharmed. The crankshaft was hammered out of the cases and the ends mushroomed out for God's sake lol.
Kidkawie
7/14/2014 12:31pm
If you plan on riding it in woods you should do the 94-98 trans swap to eliminate the tall ass 1st gear. Clean and blow out the CDI connectors and apply dielectric compound. Water can get in there and cause a short. I missed a moto once because of that. Besides that, they are rock solid bikes. A Millenium plated cylinder and new NON Wiseco crank you'll have years of worry free riding.

Make some filler panels or use small bolts with fender washers to close the gap on the sidepanel over the airbox. Boots get caught there.
Kidkawie
7/14/2014 12:34pm
Couple more things:

Disable or remove the bladders (I prefer to just remove them)

Install a 04 or newer KX front brake master.
7/14/2014 1:43pm
Thanks for the advice. The whole deal hinges on the condition of the center cases. If they're gouged to death I'm not fooling with it. That's why I wanted an option for having them resurfaced. Since there doesn't look like anyone does that kind of work I'm leery of jumping in If they're a mess.
Kidkawie
7/14/2014 2:00pm
Under normal circumstances, the cases should be fine unless you pulled some piston skirt in there. They would push out on the bottom, but can be repaired by a good welder. The mushroomed ends on the crank are no big deal, it's pretty soft metal and they will easily do that.

An 03 engine will fit in there, I think an 04 will too, but you need the harness, CDI and ignition IIRC. I think there was a crank bearing change in 02, so you have to study part numbers just using 03 cases with 01 crank, etc.

If it's the cylinder that's gouged Milennium can repair that along with a replate.
7/14/2014 5:17pm
I may end up with 03 cases anyway since I found a nice set online. I'll simply buy an 03 crank if I do. Good info. Thanks!
mgtkr1
7/14/2014 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2014 6:01pm
i have an 01 kx125 and 01 rm250. while my mates yz250 is undergoing a full rebuild he has been using the little kx and loves it, prefers it over the rm even though he is a big lad. there great bikes and very tough. sweet handling with a decent buzzy motor. not the best 125 from that year but a fairly decent one. I don't think theres much to worry about once you have given the motor a rebuild. the plating is covered since your cylinder is damaged so other than that, it should be trouble free. edited as I have just notced its a 250, not 125 oops!
Kidkawie
7/14/2014 5:59pm
That's what I'm saying...its not just simply using 03 cases, you may need a crank and bearings, primary drive, clutch basket, governor, etc. The easiest way is to use the original parts, then there's no guesswork.
12/19/2014 9:06pm
Forgot about this thread. Bike frame is completely rebuilt; just waiting to start on the engine when it's warm. It's a 2000 by the way.

EL Sammo
12/20/2014 2:48am
Looks like its coming along nicely, the engine cases ended up being usable?
12/20/2014 10:45am
Not sure if you have got to them or not, but front brakes on KXF 250's are cheap on eBay and a noticeable improvement over 90's and early 2000's brakes. I put them on my 95 and love them.
12/20/2014 1:38pm
The Cases Are Usable, but there I'm still buying new ones because there are some gouges I don't trust on the cylinder mating area. As for the brakes, I disassembled and cleaned them out and added a 2001 cr125 front hose to eliminate the under fork routing. The brakes suck balls lol. I'll definitely be buying a better system. The back brake is installed now and works fine though. The cylinder is sleeved and I think I'll have it slightly over bored and the mating surfaces machined flat rather than buying a new one. In a month or two I'll be close to riding hopefully.
12/20/2014 4:46pm
Great job so far!

I have always thought the 99-02 KX was a sweet looking bike. Very nice bodywork.
MaxPower
12/20/2014 5:10pm
The only thing you need to know is multiply your estimated cost of restoring the bike by 3. And you will most likely spend more but you'll just want it finished by then
12/20/2014 7:12pm
I can't wait to ride it! My poor old 97 rm250 was real weak in the midrange, but every test of this kx I've read always compliments the low end hit as "open class" like. I'll have to address the high first gear since I'll be trail riding it mostly though. I'll have about $1000 total in it when I'm done so I haven't done too bad(unless I replace the cases then it's $1400 total).
12/20/2014 10:13pm
SO much money can be saved by cross referencing bearings and seals and reprising parts from other bikes in these "non-concours" restos. The levers, brake pads, and quite a few incidentals were bought for other bikes I've owned and just happened to fit. The linkage and swing arm bearings were bought from www.vxb.com as we're the seals and saved me about $40 rather than buying a kit. The steering bearings were also cross referenced.i had to buy a new set of forks since the originals had two broken pinch bolts and we're bodged enough to be unremovable. $70 on ebay got me a set of like new forks. I've got some carbon fiber sheets on the way and I'll attempt to make a silencer just to see how it'll turn out. It's so much fun piddling around with stuff like that since parts are so cheap on ebay. I'm also not a stickler for perfection so that helps. Some of the folks on here won't settle for less than real works parts, whereas I'll use "carbon fiber" vinyl sheets on my air box to make it look like the real thing lol.

Post a reply to: 01 kx250-anything I need to know before I restore it?

The Latest