Hatfield and Mccoy bike prep

Bartonbrett
Hello,

Taking a three day trip to Hatfield and McCoy trails next month and I have a few questions. Bike is a 2015 KTM 250sx, forks have been re done, carb mods, everything else is stock. I'm a C class MX rider and I occasionally ride trails. It's just much easier to ride MX where I live and not a lot of legal trail systems close by.

I'm not trying to spend a lot of money on bike prep and I really don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I wont need after I get back. So far I plan on getting hand guards, and a skid plate. I'm mostly concerned with fuel and I plan on carrying a spare fuel canister in a tail bag as well as some extra pre-mix in case I fill up somewhere.

Other than that I'm bringing tubes, filters, spare levers, and lots of tools. My tires are already a hard compound and I plan on replacing them once I get back.

Will I be ok with fuel and are there any must haves I'm forgetting?
|
fins227
3/2/2017 6:26pm
Sounds like you have all the basics covered. Have fun!
3/6/2017 3:02pm
Having been to Hatfield Mcoy loop several times. Heres a list of things i would make sure are on your bike if you plan on riding the single track. All the quad trails you can get away with a mx bike setup.

Rear rotor guard. The rocks can sneak up on you on Trail #199 in rockhouse. it would suck to end your trip over a bent rotor.

Make sure your handguards are the aluminum wraparound design or have unbreakable levers.

Big tank if you plan on riding the rockhouse to buffalo mtn loop. i'd recommend the stock xc tank, it doesn't make the bike any wider and its cheaper than an ims tank. ktm part #5480751313399

If thats too expensive your going to need to carry fuel on your back. any hiking/outdoor store will have these.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5015-640/Fuel-Bottle?gclid=CKO3qPX8wtICFRa1wAod7wUKVg

Trail riding basics. Camel bak/ hydropack never want to go without water, the bike might need it before you do!

Bring some tools, fanny pack or backpack tire irons. spare set of rear brake pads. clutch lever.a 21" tube (it will work for both wheels) a hi pressure pump or the c02 cartridges from a good mountain bike store to seat the bead of the tire if you need to fix a flat. Zipties jb weld/ quicksteel and ducktape.

Hope you have a fun trip WV is a blast. Just curious but where are you staying?
Bartonbrett
3/7/2017 3:45am
We are staying at Hawks River Lodge.

I think we will mostly stick to the atv trails, and the rock stuff doesn't sound too appealing, but we will see. I do plan on carrying a liter fuel bottle for extra gas.

What tire pressures should I start with? I assume run slightly higher to protect the rim and pinch flats?
3/8/2017 3:18pm
Cool, depends if you have heavy duty tubes or not really. i have them and got away with 8psi. Anything over 12psi and your bike will feel like a golf ball on concrete.

Post a reply to: Hatfield and Mccoy bike prep

The Latest