winter build complete TM 500 SMX

shanes
Edited Date/Time 5/7/2016 9:31am
well finally its done the build took longer than expected but i am very happy with how it turned out

2014 TM 300 SMX chassis with a 1997 CR500 engine fitted

|
motogeezer
4/27/2016 12:12pm
Very NICE!

Hope you've got a good tire budget standing by. Wink
TailSoHard
4/27/2016 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 12:18pm
Hummina Hummina...
Rooster
4/27/2016 12:42pm
Nice build, but every 500cc two stroke I ever raced on my 450 got pulled pretty easy coming out of the corners.

I hope your experience is different than theirs.
shanes
4/27/2016 9:08pm
Rooster wrote:
Nice build, but every 500cc two stroke I ever raced on my 450 got pulled pretty easy coming out of the corners. I hope your experience...
Nice build, but every 500cc two stroke I ever raced on my 450 got pulled pretty easy coming out of the corners.

i have a 450 and I'm pretty sure it will give faster lap times , i built this to play on and have fun i don't care if its a bit slower over a lap I'm sure some track it will be close or faster but i know it will put a huge smile on my face

The Shop

Vet57
4/28/2016 2:16am
Looks like Chico is gettin' on in age....

shanes
4/28/2016 3:09am
Vet57 wrote:
Looks like Chico is gettin' on in age....[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/28/133220/s1200_IMG_0176_zpsdcatmw5d.jpg[/img]
Looks like Chico is gettin' on in age....

that is Ernie he is 5 we are dog sitting for a few days as owner is off racing in Imola in world superbikes round :-}}

here he is with our 2 and 10 month old english staffy and 7 month old Dogo

Rooster
4/28/2016 10:08am
Rooster wrote:
Nice build, but every 500cc two stroke I ever raced on my 450 got pulled pretty easy coming out of the corners. I hope your experience...

shanes wrote:
i have a 450 and I'm pretty sure it will give faster lap times , i built this to play on and have fun i don't...
i have a 450 and I'm pretty sure it will give faster lap times , i built this to play on and have fun i don't care if its a bit slower over a lap I'm sure some track it will be close or faster but i know it will put a huge smile on my face

Just ride it like a 125 and take a line that lets you keep it on the pipe. I could always gain the advantage by slowing my opponents on them down in the corners by taking a tight inside line and then using the tractor like power to out accelerate them.

In all honesty they did have a little on me down the straights, but they had to be very long straights to overcome the four strokes advantage during acceleration.

I'm sure you'll have a blast on it. It's a gorgeous machine! Just be wary of the high-sides on corner exits. I get the feeling that you're more comfortable than most are when your sideways on pavement though.
peelout
4/28/2016 10:48am
hell yeah that thing is awesome!

that would be rad to have as a Cafe Racer around town, how big of a bitch would it be to put lights on it? i know the KTM XC versions come wired and ready, just need to install. or is this just for fun on the SM course? either way thanks for sharing
Rooster
4/28/2016 11:19am
peelout wrote:
hell yeah that thing is awesome! that would be rad to have as a Cafe Racer around town, how big of a bitch would it be...

that would be rad to have as a Cafe Racer around town, how big of a bitch would it be to put lights on it? i know the KTM XC versions come wired and ready, just need to install. or is this just for fun on the SM course? either way thanks for sharing
The older style headlights were tough to get any decent lighting from off of an aftermarket coil, but the newer LEDs are much brighter than the old bulbs. The electrical requirements were the tough part, but with LED lights and lithium batteries that problem has been solved. Solid state lights would've been nice when I had mine on the road, because the headlight element would always break or burn out from wheelies and vibration.

Unless your state has a specific opposition to two stroke engines, you can definitely get one registered. It can vary by quite a bit on how many different hoops you'll have to jump through. Registration and insurance up here went from easy to hard (in BC at least). Now you have to register each bike as a custom build no different than building a chopper.

Check out baja designs. They sold me the kit I used to get my bike registered and they seem to know quite a bit about each state's different requirements for registration.

They are the wildest and most fun things on the road, until you hit a highway. Then the limitations of a big displacement single become more apparent. A KX500 engine would be a better bet for a street going supermoto IMO as I believe their later engines had a wider ratio transmission than the Honda's ever did. If you went the four stroke route a CRF450X or a WR450 are better suited for the same reason. You can gear the regular MX versions to the moon and get decent highway/top speeds, but first gear gets awfully tall.
peelout
4/28/2016 11:25am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 11:27am
peelout wrote:
hell yeah that thing is awesome! that would be rad to have as a Cafe Racer around town, how big of a bitch would it be...

Rooster wrote:
The older style headlights were tough to get any decent lighting from off of an aftermarket coil, but the newer LEDs are much brighter than the...
The older style headlights were tough to get any decent lighting from off of an aftermarket coil, but the newer LEDs are much brighter than the old bulbs. The electrical requirements were the tough part, but with LED lights and lithium batteries that problem has been solved. Solid state lights would've been nice when I had mine on the road, because the headlight element would always break or burn out from wheelies and vibration.

Unless your state has a specific opposition to two stroke engines, you can definitely get one registered. It can vary by quite a bit on how many different hoops you'll have to jump through. Registration and insurance up here went from easy to hard (in BC at least). Now you have to register each bike as a custom build no different than building a chopper.

Check out baja designs. They sold me the kit I used to get my bike registered and they seem to know quite a bit about each state's different requirements for registration.

They are the wildest and most fun things on the road, until you hit a highway. Then the limitations of a big displacement single become more apparent. A KX500 engine would be a better bet for a street going supermoto IMO as I believe their later engines had a wider ratio transmission than the Honda's ever did. If you went the four stroke route a CRF450X or a WR450 are better suited for the same reason. You can gear the regular MX versions to the moon and get decent highway/top speeds, but first gear gets awfully tall.
yeah i was just curious for his build in specific. that bike would be a head-turner around here and would be so rad to cruise down into town for a bite, beer, or coffee.

i have my KTM300 registered and street-legal with the Baja Designs headlight and the Sicass Racing tail-light and blinkers kit... that light is so damn bright though that i feel bad riding at night because i don't have a dimmer. i've had no problem running that light in the dark doing speeds of 25-50 offroad and 60 on the road. i didn't have any issues getting the green light on the 2-stroke for street legal reasons, only problem is my registration jumped from $60 to $150.

most of my riding is single track and i can easily spend the day on the trail. i love having my trail bike street-legal because i can leave the truck at home, go ride all day and stop and have some dinner and a beer on my way home without issue.
G-man
4/28/2016 12:11pm
WoW that is a Thing of Beauty!
Looks like a Wheelie Machine.

Nice looking dawgs too. Smile
ocscottie
4/28/2016 12:29pm
Why is this in "non moto"? perfectly fine to talk SM in the moto section.

I have always liked the look of those TM's!
Jrewing
4/28/2016 2:40pm
I love TM's so much I feel like that Texas kid and Suzuki..
That TM would sound mean. Need a vid of it lapping a track
cwtoyota
4/28/2016 2:45pm
peelout wrote:

You made me think of this photo... I don't know who's it is or where it is, but I found it surfing the WWW a few years ago. KX500 engine, but the same basic idea.

cwtoyota
4/28/2016 2:49pm
Obviously you had to do engine mounts and probably change or bore out the bushings for the swing-arm pivot bolt.

Did you have to cut the frame and raise the "Y" in the downtube to clear the exhaust?

Any photos of the bike without the plastic installed? Build pics, etc?

Sweet bike dude.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
4/28/2016 2:54pm
Man, that is one cool looking bike! The tires/ wheels look wider than MX tires. Do you have to change the triple clamps and swingarm to accept them? Thanks for sharing.
philG
4/28/2016 3:06pm
It needs a set of blue PVM's lad..

I think what you gain in outright HP , you will have to give up in rideability over a tuned 300, but even so, great tool.
Has Mettet written all over it

shanes
4/28/2016 9:28pm
cwtoyota wrote:
Obviously you had to do engine mounts and probably change or bore out the bushings for the swing-arm pivot bolt. Did you have to cut the...
Obviously you had to do engine mounts and probably change or bore out the bushings for the swing-arm pivot bolt.

Did you have to cut the frame and raise the "Y" in the downtube to clear the exhaust?

Any photos of the bike without the plastic installed? Build pics, etc?

Sweet bike dude.
i had to cut and replace the engine mounts , didn't tough the main frame

swinarm pivot was fine just had to machine up some spacers to position the engine so the chain ran true

test fitting the engine

engine counted in position

exhaust and silencer fitted up brackets needed cutting off and re welding

magura hydraulic clutch conversion fitted up
shanes
4/28/2016 9:43pm
philG wrote:
It needs a set of blue PVM's lad.. I think what you gain in outright HP , you will have to give up in rideability over...
It needs a set of blue PVM's lad..

I think what you gain in outright HP , you will have to give up in rideability over a tuned 300, but even so, great tool.
Has Mettet written all over it

they do look sweet :-}}
the 300 was good and fun to ride it was pretty close to the 450 lap time wise. i have always wanted a 500 in a real chassis , i looked at buy a new service honda but by the time i converted it to supermoto ,suspension, triples, wheels ,brakes ,swingarm etc etc it would have cost way to much and still be a converted MX bike . i had the TM 300 there already as factory built supermoto so i thought it was a lot better way to go . i brought the rebuilt 500 engine and electrics for around the same as i sold the 300 tm engine for so it has not really cost me that much :-}}}}

cwtoyota
4/28/2016 9:45pm
Nice work. It sure looks like that engine fits nicely in that TM frame.
philG
4/28/2016 11:58pm
Yeah, the 300 engine has a good home.
Kinetic1
4/29/2016 4:05am
I want to ride it!!!!! That thing is going to be so much fun. Nicely done.
shanes
5/7/2016 8:32am
well it was worth the time and effort , so much fun to ride and it sound so sweet

Post a reply to: winter build complete TM 500 SMX

The Latest