school bus crash,this morning

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 9/17/2015 10:57am
Just saw it on tv,one dead but the bus was absolutely smashed.

Didn't see where it was or what had hit it.

On its side with half the roof flattened,
|
Bob693
9/15/2015 7:38am
A second student has died.
Old-Man
9/15/2015 8:45am

Geese this is Horrific, hope we don't find out the driver was txtin.

The Shop

enketchum
9/15/2015 12:59pm
Was it on the raised freeway? I couldn't imagine any of my students dying on a bus. So sad. We don't have buses in our district, thankfully.
KTMShane699
9/15/2015 1:03pm
That's a bad situation. I'd be curious as to what the injuries are. It seems that in many major bus accidents, being tossed around the passenger compartment is a huge contributor to injury and/or death. Makes me wonder why we have seatbelt laws, but make buses exempt...other than money.

Shane
enketchum
9/15/2015 4:05pm
School buses operate on the idea of Compaction. You stuff kids as close together as you can so they can't move when the bus stops or flips. This is why the seats are so close together and why they want 2 or 3 students in each seat. The seat backs are padded to stop them when the driver runs into a wall.

It's BS. Seat belts would be much safer
Bob693
9/15/2015 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2015 4:23pm
enketchum wrote:
Was it on the raised freeway? I couldn't imagine any of my students dying on a bus. So sad. We don't have buses in our district...
Was it on the raised freeway? I couldn't imagine any of my students dying on a bus. So sad. We don't have buses in our district, thankfully.
Yes, it's a raised freeway and they ended up down on the frontage road. The other car involved happened to be an HISD teacher. She said she thought another car was coming into her lane and she swerved into the bus. This bus had seat belts. The students killed were a 14 and 17 year old girls.
hillbilly
9/15/2015 9:15pm
It was odd that the tires were off the front and outside rear of the same side but the rims were unbent.

Cant find those early pics.

They said the driver over corrected, what if the tire pressure was low and tbey popped the bead loose when it swerved.

I saw those bare wheels and thought just how much the things get a gauge on them.
KTMShane699
9/15/2015 11:23pm
enketchum wrote:
School buses operate on the idea of Compaction. You stuff kids as close together as you can so they can't move when the bus stops or...
School buses operate on the idea of Compaction. You stuff kids as close together as you can so they can't move when the bus stops or flips. This is why the seats are so close together and why they want 2 or 3 students in each seat. The seat backs are padded to stop them when the driver runs into a wall.

It's BS. Seat belts would be much safer
I agree that seat belts would be safer. I understand the theories in how bus safety works, but I disagree with it. The bus is safer with more people on it, which means it either gains or loses safety over the course of a route (depending on if it's picking up or dropping off). And while the close, high back seats might be beneficial in a low speed or even a normal collision, they offer little to no rollover protection. It makes me wonder why we put a price on our children's safety when it comes to seat belts.

I have not had to go to a major bus accident in my career, and hope I never have to. That's one call that I can live without having to do.

Shane
newmann
9/16/2015 4:15am
I always tell the wife to "hold your line" and if she hits something we will either repair it or replace it. We get quite a few wrecks in where people swerved to miss something in the road. Not a whole lot of things are worth getting killed over. We had another bus accident with a local high school soccer team about ten years ago that killed two girls. They were in a chartered travel bus on the way to Houston when a truck/trailer ahead lost some of its load. Ended up being huge foam blocks but the driver swerved, ran off the road and rolled the bus.

newmann
9/16/2015 4:12pm
Bring on automated cars because people are fucking idiots.
Speaking of, the parents of one of the kids who died was on the news and already had plans for legal action against both drivers, the bus manufacturer, school district, guardrail manufacturer etc before the sun set on day one. "Somebody gonna pay"! Bodies aren't even cold yet and they have done lawyered up.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/17/2015 10:07am
Bring on automated cars because people are fucking idiots.
newmann wrote:
Speaking of, the parents of one of the kids who died was on the news and already had plans for legal action against both drivers, the...
Speaking of, the parents of one of the kids who died was on the news and already had plans for legal action against both drivers, the bus manufacturer, school district, guardrail manufacturer etc before the sun set on day one. "Somebody gonna pay"! Bodies aren't even cold yet and they have done lawyered up.
It will take a lot of money to fill the void of a lost child. They won't never get enough
Bob693
9/17/2015 10:57am
newmann wrote:
I always tell the wife to "hold your line" and if she hits something we will either repair it or replace it. We get quite a...
I always tell the wife to "hold your line" and if she hits something we will either repair it or replace it. We get quite a few wrecks in where people swerved to miss something in the road. Not a whole lot of things are worth getting killed over. We had another bus accident with a local high school soccer team about ten years ago that killed two girls. They were in a chartered travel bus on the way to Houston when a truck/trailer ahead lost some of its load. Ended up being huge foam blocks but the driver swerved, ran off the road and rolled the bus.

I lost a good friend because the girl he was riding with swerved to miss a rabbit that had run onto the road.

Post a reply to: school bus crash,this morning

The Latest