just sharing a short story

I meant to go from Germany to the Daytona SX in early march with my family, found some cheap flights, car rental, bought tickets and been glad. But looks like I cheered a little too soon. We got a message from the consular office that we are not allowed to enter the country together since last saturday. The reason behind is, that my wife was born in a crap country 39 years ago and immigrated with her father and her german mother(!) to germany when she was 2 months(!) old. She's never been in that country ever since nor did she have any contacts there, don't speak the language and never was into any religion or stuff like that. She is a citizen of germany by birth too. She lived in Texas and California for a couple years each to go to highschool and college in the past and this present day we live in germany, work a lot, going riding with the kids on weekends as often as we could and I'd say we're just ordinary people. We came to americas defense whenever there was one of that kind of discussions people have outside of america about america. We spent our holidays almost always in the US because we just love it. We traveled like 28 states until now and did all the stuff you guys like to do, camping, going to racing events of all kinds and so on. Not to mention that we always brought a boatload of money with us (that's the delightful part). I accidentaly run into some Vital members on the west coast and even went riding with one of 'em and it was much much more than great. For now it looks like it is over and I know it's not the end of the world but at the moment I'm pretty gutted to say the least. Was thinking about the canadian SX round a week before but hey, that's not the same, isn't it?

Not that I'd have any intend to start a nonsense debate here, I accept the inevitable. I'm symphatetic about the necessity to face up to the refugee difficulties and I'm sure you're aware of the fact that you not only lock out the one's with the suicide vests (if it is even possible to lock them out). I'm not here to whine about it, nor do I try to play victim. I just feel like I have to share it with somebody because it's my story and at the moment it's pretty tough. Thanks, have a good one
|
1/31/2017 8:18am
I would check with the US state department also understand that the situation can change quickly as they get challenged for legality. Things happened quickly over the weekend many agencies were caught off guard if your wife is a German citizen I don't think you have anything to worry about. However, if her passport is from one of the 7 countries listed (Syria, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia,or Lybia) you are right to be concerned.
1/31/2017 8:29am
Don't give up yet. I'll be at Daytona and want to meet you!

Seriously, don't give in yet. Things can change quickly. Time is on your side right now. That's still like 6 weeks away.
1/31/2017 8:49am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2017 9:04am
She has a german passport since she is in Germany. The problem is the dual citizenship. She accquired the iranian nationality by birth and the Iran refuses to release their citizens ever again. She never got rid of that troublesome passport. Sure, you can throw it in the garbagecan but on paper you're still a dual citizen. With that said, you have to introduce yourself to the american consular office in advance of every entry to bring to proof you're not a shady cameleer. That always was a pain in the backside and it cost a pile of money on top of it all.
Dead sure things are not going to change in the next 90 days at least. She is not even allowed to enter an american agency in germany. And as far as I can ascertain, it won't change after that time stretch as well most likely.

edit: with my brother in law it is even worse, he is even born in germany but the iranians claimed him to be iranian because his father was one. They even gave his kids(today 10 and 15 years old) passports which makes them dual citizens again. It's insane. Half of his friends are in the US because he was in a waterpolo college team back in the day. We better adjust ourselves to have a lot of visitors in the future, lol

The Shop

1/31/2017 8:55am
I would still try to contact the state deparment or immigration and customs and get better information and stay tuned.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
1/31/2017 8:56am
I feel for you, bike week is one thing on my bucket list as well,
JW381
1/31/2017 9:28am
Very sorry to hear, man. I hope you get all that BS sorted and can travel about freely.
KMC440
1/31/2017 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2017 2:38pm
Check out an avenue with the Congressional offices where she she lived and went to school here in the states as well. It's worth a try.

Or fly into Thunder Bay, Ontario and get a lift south from there.
APLMAN99
1/31/2017 7:02pm
Can't get too political here, things have really been quiet and calm for a bit, but man I feel for ya. This highlights the difference between heightened scrutiny of the past administration, and pretty much a blanket ban now. She could always claim to be a persecuted Christian! There is a loophole for that.....

That dual citizenship thing is a pretty tough one under this current order.

It'll be interesting with all the states suing Trump right now. I know that the tech folks in Seattle and Silicon Valley are pretty fired up about some of their folks not being allowed to reenter the country the way that the EO currently reads.
2/10/2017 12:47am
little update:

since the appeal court refused to reinstate travel ban yesterday, we should be allowed to enter the country again...theoretically. The ma'am at the embassy told us to get ready to face deportation in spite of it all because you never know what can happen on the airport these days. Aside from that we should have our social media passwords ready for possible checks of our accounts (WTF? Laughing )

With that said we decided not come over this time and to wait until this punch and judy show is coming to an end. I mean it's just about a week off for holidays but it feels a little like going to cambodia at moment for us. If you take a look into a newspaper over here these days, you would think it's a comical parody on "King Ubu" or something like that Grinning . But well, I'm sure it's all not that bad for you guys and better times will come anyways. cheers

Post a reply to: just sharing a short story

The Latest