car crash near my house,never seen anything like it

hillbilly
I heard that the car was in a old store building I used to shop at when a kid. Couldn't believe it.

Went out there to look and it was on the 2nd floor.

The pic of the building is in this story i think, i cant view it because they only let you have so many free looks.

http://www.greenevillesun.com/news/local_news/driver-killed-after-car-g…

http://www.greenevillesun.com/news/local_news/driver-in-fatal-crash-was…

He over corrected and hit the ditch,a driveway gets it airborne ,it touches 2 more times about 120 feet between hits then clears a powerline and then 120 more feet to the upstairs of the store.

It flung the driver over the building and 100 feet past it.

A 350z was the car,never seen a such a highspeed crash.
|
IWreckALot
7/20/2016 11:37am
Damn. I didn't think that even going 100mph would get you airborn enough to hit a second floor building.
MR. X
7/20/2016 1:58pm
Did i read that correctly ? The driver was thrown OVER the building 130 feet away
APLMAN99
7/20/2016 2:28pm
Sounds like the driver perfected the seat bounce.......

The Shop

APLMAN99
7/20/2016 2:39pm
On a side note, it said that the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Does anyone drive without one any more? I can't drive without one on, it's become so automatic that it feels like I'd fall out of the seat without one, even in buckets with pretty good side bolsters.

My best friend just pulled a near "Overhaulin'" experience on my old C10 truck and surprised me with it by meeting me at the airport (flew me "home" for the weekend without telling me why). Truck is simply phenomenal, but after driving it a few hundred miles home a few days later, new seat belts moved to the top of the list for next projects to complete.
hvaughn88
7/20/2016 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2016 2:59pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
On a side note, it said that the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt. Does anyone drive without one any more? I can't drive without one...

Does anyone drive without one any more? I can't drive without one on, it's become so automatic that it feels like I'd fall out of the seat without one, even in buckets with pretty good side bolsters.

My best friend just pulled a near "Overhaulin'" experience on my old C10 truck and surprised me with it by meeting me at the airport (flew me "home" for the weekend without telling me why). Truck is simply phenomenal, but after driving it a few hundred miles home a few days later, new seat belts moved to the top of the list for next projects to complete.
I'm the same way. Just feel naked without one on. My parents live about a mile away from me and even just driving down to their house feels weird if I don't buckle up

By the way, that's awesome your buddy did that for you! Sounds like an awesome friend. I love old trucks. Post up some pics so I can drool!
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
7/20/2016 3:25pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
On a side note, it said that the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt. Does anyone drive without one any more? I can't drive without one...

I "always" wear one, however I never when I'm offroad. And sometimes I don't put it on until I'm already moving
APLMAN99
7/20/2016 3:45pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm the same way. Just feel naked without one on. My parents live about a mile away from me and even just driving down to their...
I'm the same way. Just feel naked without one on. My parents live about a mile away from me and even just driving down to their house feels weird if I don't buckle up

By the way, that's awesome your buddy did that for you! Sounds like an awesome friend. I love old trucks. Post up some pics so I can drool!
I'll try to get some pics, but the pics won't tell much of the story. It's still ugly as sin with every panel having some wrinkles in it and peeling paint from an old rattle can paint job. Under the skin is where he did the real work.
7/20/2016 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2016 7:26pm
Jesus. He shoulda installed a roll cage and five point harness for that crash.

who hasn't went 120 in a sports car ? That guy just got caught at the wrong time.

I feel like if hillbilly woulda been driving that car he woulda lived. some of the stories you tell make me scratch my head about how you're still alive.
APLMAN99
7/20/2016 7:41pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm the same way. Just feel naked without one on. My parents live about a mile away from me and even just driving down to their...

hvaughn, here's the ugly beast. Like I said the exterior still isn't pretty but the important stuff surprised the crap out of me!

77 C10 Stepside
Replaced the original engine with a 98 Vortec 5.7
Reworked heads
Carbureted with Edelbrock intake
Full exhaust, headers through true duals exiting under rear bumper
Rebuilt TH350
New posi rearend
New custom radiator
New transmission cooler
New brakes all 4 corners
Full, professional drop, 4" front, 6" rear
New tires and wheels, barely fit inside the tubs
Finished the bucket seat conversion that I'd been attempting for some time
About a million other things that made it go from a forgotten project to a fun project to drive around

Again, it's not pretty on the outside but it goes great! Handles like a go kart compared original and while it's not the fastest thing in the world, it certainly feels plenty quick. Stock HP for that engine was something like 255, I think with the head work, exhaust, etc it might be right around 300ish right now and there's still room for more later.

hillbilly
7/21/2016 6:09am
Jesus. He shoulda installed a roll cage and five point harness for that crash. who hasn't went 120 in a sports car ? That guy just...
Jesus. He shoulda installed a roll cage and five point harness for that crash.

who hasn't went 120 in a sports car ? That guy just got caught at the wrong time.

I feel like if hillbilly woulda been driving that car he woulda lived. some of the stories you tell make me scratch my head about how you're still alive.
I figure he was flat out,long straight into where he lost it. It was over a hill with a kink at the top which is what got him.

And yes,he was thrown over that building.

I've done my share but pick my places,where i can see and left hand is best since you can keep from going into oncoming.

Back in highschool a kid handed a note to a store clerk,got in his car and killed himself.

It was a mile long straight that teed into a road with a huge tree and house. He hit the tree so hard it broke 12 inch limbs out and sent parts thru the house walls.

I feel like this kid may have been on a similar run.
hvaughn88
7/21/2016 6:17am
aplman, that is BITCHIN! I love it! You say it's ugly, but I love the way it looks. It looks like something that is actually meant to be driven, as opposed to sitting within a velvet rope never to see the road.
Homey55
7/21/2016 8:29am
APLMAN99 wrote:

seatbeltplanet.com will get you what you need...
hillbilly
7/21/2016 10:41am
I collect 460s fords from late 60s Lincolns ,the compression is close to 11 to 1 pre 72 before the huge drop.

I shoved one in a 78 f100 stepside with roller cam and rockers. Took a cobrajet intake with the huge ports and blended the head ports to match.

Built the c6 tranny to a manual valve ,slam the shifts.

The thing was the scarriest thing i ever made. Feather the throttle to get it moving then to the floor,wound out in 2nd was about 90 and all you wanted. Once to 3rd I'd just let off.

One day it sheared the tail off the tranny and dump oil under the rear tires ,that was enuff,used another life of my 27.
APLMAN99
7/21/2016 11:14am
hvaughn88 wrote:
aplman, that is BITCHIN! I love it! You say it's ugly, but I love the way it looks. It looks like something that is actually meant...
aplman, that is BITCHIN! I love it! You say it's ugly, but I love the way it looks. It looks like something that is actually meant to be driven, as opposed to sitting within a velvet rope never to see the road.
It definitely has "character"!

The sound is a perfect mix of growl with some business to it. It did set off the alarm of a Tahoe that was behind me at a gas station, but some of those aftermarket alarms are a bit wonky. It was a little funny watching the owner come running out as I was driving away.

The stance on it feels perfect. It took a bit to get used to not stepping down when getting out of it, though. The 4/6 drop doesn't sound like much on paper but it's a pretty significant drop in action.

The interior is still in project form and that'll get attention before the exterior. The bucket seat conversion is done so now I can proceed with the rest. I scored an old console from a conversion Suburban to refinish. It fits perfectly but I will probably add some pieces to make it come upwards and meet the dash and mount a GPS/DVD/Sat radio system in it. Seatbelts, obviously, especially ones that the receiver end doesn't fall to the floor every time you release them.

It had the a/c ripped out quite some time ago so I'm trying to decide on piecing together the original system from Pick n Pull or going the Vintage Air route. Junkyard would be cheaper, but maybe not as reliable.

Thinking about converting to a floor shifter after I get the console done, then power windows, soundproofing, carpet, etc.

It's a long list to get through!
APLMAN99
7/21/2016 11:21am
APLMAN99 wrote:

Homey55 wrote:
seatbeltplanet.com will get you what you need...
Thanks, that has exactly what I'm looking for! LMC didn't have the C10 bucket belts for my year, and the Suburban belt would be a different length on the receiver side because of the different floor in the rear. This site actually has the bucket belts with the hard plastic sleeve to keep the buckle up at sear height, exactly what I was hoping for.
7/21/2016 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 3:48pm
Recall my brothers 68 Camaro he had in 76-78. 427 BB,12.5:1's , tunnel ram w/ 660 center squirters, over 300 degree duration , hi lift cam, Muncie 4-speed,12 bolt rear. It ran pretty hard. Never hooked the car up with a good gear and some tire, but it would ignite the 50's on the rear from a 15-20mph roll in low, keep 'em lit all the way through second gear, and really start rolling in third.

He could shift that old dog, foot down on the throttle, give the clutch a swift kick, and row the shifter.

Without a short gear in the rear , it kind of fell off a bit in fourth, but was already moving way past the safety of the rest of the car. Front end sure would get light at the top of third gear.

Coming from the small block that was in it prior, he had a bit too heavy of a foot at times for the BB.
More than once after a good blast, you'd see the oil pressure drop, and hear the tell tale murmur of a spun rod bearing. As a money starved teen, it would keep the car parked for a bit more than once.

Last time it spun one, the BB came out, and a 305 was put in, just to have some wheels that would stay running for a while.

No seat belts, just a set of those old school hi back plastic bucket seats. When you got in the passenger seat when the 427 was running , it made you look for something to hang on to. Surprised he was not killed in that thing.

Post a reply to: car crash near my house,never seen anything like it

The Latest