bought another guitar...

davis224
Fantasy
138th
Edited Date/Time 5/27/2013 7:40pm
Been having the itch lately and finally pulled the trigger and added a Fender standard Telecaster to my steadily growing collection, I have a feeling my strat will be neglected a lot more now, and might not use my les paul quite as often. Digging the versatility of the tele, but wondering if I should do anything with the pickups. I tried out a used highway 1 tele that had some Cobalt noiseless pickups that sounded pretty good, but one of my buddies has a '52 hot rod reissue that sounds amazing and has me thinking about throwing some mini-buckers in it, but I don't want to totally lose the single coil sound. Any tips?

|
jndmx
5/22/2013 10:39am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2013 10:40am
Oh man that's beautiful.....

Of course I am a little biased because I have pretty much the exact same guitar.....color and all.
Maple neck on mine though.

I would check out the Seymour Duncan Antiquity series to keep that killer Tele tone but add some more fatness to the bridge pick up.
wildbill
5/22/2013 11:17pm
That's so americana... Nice work. I'd keep the stockers and dig deep for tone and feel.
newmann
5/23/2013 7:29am
Wish I knew more about guitars and such. That's a nice one. My brother is the musically inclined one of the bunch and he has a few cool pieces including what I'm guessing is a mid 60's pink paisley print Telecaster.

The Shop

jndmx
5/23/2013 11:43am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2013 11:43am
newmann wrote:
Wish I knew more about guitars and such. That's a nice one. My brother is the musically inclined one of the bunch and he has a...
Wish I knew more about guitars and such. That's a nice one. My brother is the musically inclined one of the bunch and he has a few cool pieces including what I'm guessing is a mid 60's pink paisley print Telecaster.
If he has a mid 60's Paisley Pink Tele your brother is in possesion of a $10-12K item if it is original and not a re-issue.

They re-issued them a couple times but the 60's ones are the holy grail of Telecasters.
newmann
5/23/2013 11:55am
newmann wrote:
Wish I knew more about guitars and such. That's a nice one. My brother is the musically inclined one of the bunch and he has a...
jndmx wrote:
If he has a mid 60's Paisley Pink Tele your brother is in possesion of a $10-12K item if it is original and not a re-issue...
If he has a mid 60's Paisley Pink Tele your brother is in possesion of a $10-12K item if it is original and not a re-issue.

They re-issued them a couple times but the 60's ones are the holy grail of Telecasters.
He got it in the early 80's and it looked pretty damn old back then. I'll ask on the year. $400.00.....dude needed money.Blink
davis224
Fantasy
138th
5/23/2013 4:06pm
I think I need to try balanced string gauges. I hate the .09s that come on them, I can't play aggressively on them and feel like I'm going to snap them, but when I put .10s on, I just fight it trying to play and don't have as much fun, seems like a much bigger difference than it should be. .10s on my les paul are just absolutely perfect feeling to me. I've had the same problem with my strat, but after trying the Ernie Ball cobalt strings, it helped ease the tension ever so slightly, but still doesn't play anything like my les paul. I put a set of the same strings on the new tele, but I still have to fight the stiff feeling of the strings. Do they make .095s?
yzthumpa
5/23/2013 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2013 7:03pm
Nice guitar, davis. Went guitar shopping for someone else last weekend, and it was SO hard to walk out of their without buying another for myself, but I rarely get to play anymore for health reasons. It was almost as fun helping someone else shop though. My son's friend (13 yrs. old) was getting his first decent guitar with a budget of around $600, so the dad asked me to come along.
He was leaning towards a "Les Paul," and I know the name is used loosely nowadays. I pulled out my '81 Black Beauty and played with it that morning to get a feel for it before we left, since when I do rarely play now, I prefer my Jackson. Went to Guitar Center and surprisingly, the $500 Epiphone Les Paul felt MUCH more like mine than a $850 Gibson model. However, I also made him play a Jackson, a Tele, and a Strat (all around $550 models), and he preferred all 3 to the Les Paul models - which didn't surprise me. I checked out a Dean and an Ibanez in that price range, but they didn't seem to measure up. He left with the Strat. So much fun watching a newbie go through the process. He actually wanted the Jackson but they didn't have a color he liked, and I knew a 13 yr. old with $600 in his pocket wasn't going to order one and leave without a guitar in his hands that day.
wildbill
5/23/2013 9:25pm
heck yes they make 9.5's and are much appreciated when gigging w/out calluses. Sounds like they'd work good on that guitar.
jndmx
5/24/2013 1:58am
That stiff feeling on the higher strings will be less pronounced after you get used to it.
The Les Pauls have a different angle off the bridge but Bill is right the 9.5's will probably be the ticket.

I use the 10's on mine but I like that pop to the strings and I'm not much of a lead player.

You should take a look at the string set that SRV played with.....12's on the top.
Telephone wires.....lol
Rocket88
5/24/2013 7:51am
Fenders have a longer scale length - 25.5 vs 24.75 for the Gibson. So, the same gauge string will feel stiffer on a Fender.

This is an awesome website for Tele owners - www.tdpri.com

String gauge threads are kinda like" What kind of oil should I use" - J-Law or Alessi threads here.

Be forewarned, a lot of Tele players are into the fattest necks and the thickest strings, cargo shorts & flip flops! LOL!

Me - I love my '52 AVRI with it's original vintage PU's & 9 gauge strings - played through a Vox AC amp is pure heaven!

Telecaster's rule!
davis224
Fantasy
138th
5/24/2013 3:18pm
jndmx wrote:
That stiff feeling on the higher strings will be less pronounced after you get used to it. The Les Pauls have a different angle off the...
That stiff feeling on the higher strings will be less pronounced after you get used to it.
The Les Pauls have a different angle off the bridge but Bill is right the 9.5's will probably be the ticket.

I use the 10's on mine but I like that pop to the strings and I'm not much of a lead player.

You should take a look at the string set that SRV played with.....12's on the top.
Telephone wires.....lol
I think he actually played .13s Blink dude had gigantic hands
Rocket88
5/25/2013 7:38am
jndmx wrote:
That stiff feeling on the higher strings will be less pronounced after you get used to it. The Les Pauls have a different angle off the...

Telephone wires.....lol
davis224 wrote:
I think he actually played .13s Blink dude had gigantic hands
Stevie also tuned a half step down to E flat. That will give a looser feel compared to standard tuning. Loves me some SRV. RIP.

Billy Gibbons & BB King play real light gauges like 8 and even 7!

Tone is in the fingers.
newmann
5/25/2013 7:44am
newmann wrote:
jndmx wrote:
If he has a mid 60's Paisley Pink Tele your brother is in possesion of a $10-12K item if it is original and not a re-issue...

newmann wrote:
He got it in the early 80's and it looked pretty damn old back then. I'll ask on the year. $400.00.....dude needed money.Blink
Production date on the pink paisley was Jan. 1969.
Rocket88
5/25/2013 7:51am
jndmx wrote:

newmann wrote:
newmann wrote:
Production date on the pink paisley was Jan. 1969.
Cha Ching!!!
TeamGreen
5/26/2013 10:50am
What guitar should a Drummer go get to have around when he feels inclined to pick it up and bag in the journey towards Frampton, Clapton & Page?

Strat?

I kinda REALLY want a Jackson-Charvel from the 80's; 'cause, I worked on/re-worked/re-built...he'll...even "re-necked" some, back in the day, for some very-serious-shredding friends. Really liked the "construction"! Really HATED "Floyd Rose" (& don't EVEN bring me a Floyd "knock-off"!).

I can tell that it's almost time to get something with strings...from Mill Valley.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
5/27/2013 11:02am
Frampton? Les Paul. Clapton? Strat, or LP. He's played both. Page? Get a wah, maybe a fuzz pedal, and either a tele or LP. Just go play some and see what makes you have the most fun playing, then that'll be the ticket.
yzthumpa
5/27/2013 7:40pm
When I helped my son's friend go guitar shopping, his dad kept asking me which one he should get. But it's all about what feels the best in the player's hands. I feel that in general once you hit the $500-600 range, any of the major name brands will have a decent quality guitar for a beginner-intermediate player. Then it's all about personal preference. Once I bought my Jackson, I rarely touched my Les Paul that costs 5x as much.

Post a reply to: bought another guitar...

The Latest