bad one at pocono,indycar

hillbilly
8/23/2015 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 7:40am
Justin Wilson ,looked like the nose cone of sage's car got him in the head.

Flying him out now.

It looks bad.
|
tmx860
8/23/2015 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 2:17pm
Praying for him
h&m_cycle
8/23/2015 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2015 3:33pm
This is terrible, Justin Wilson hit the nose piece, "flying through the air of another crashed car...

https://youtu.be/khXcB3cPynU
Bob693
8/23/2015 3:44pm
That's brutal. Praying for the best.
KMC440
8/23/2015 4:22pm
Was watching. .. what a freak deal .... thoughts and prayers for young Mr Wilson.

The Shop

Hut
8/23/2015 4:35pm
"@brantjames
Hunter-Reay was told Wilson was unconscious and not responding when he was last updated. @IndyCar
6:11 PM - 23 Aug 2015"

Bummer Sad Hoping for the best.
tmx860
8/23/2015 6:15pm
Official update:

MEDICAL UPDATE:

LONG POND, Pa. (August 23, 2015) – INDYCAR driver Justin Wilson suffered a severe head injury during today’s event at Pocono Raceway. Wilson is currently in a coma and in critical condition while undergoing further evaluation at Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown, Pa.

INDYCAR sends its thoughts and prayers to Justin, his family, and Andretti Autosport during this difficult time.

Additional updates to Wilson’s condition will be released when available.

‪#‎INDYCAR‬ ‪#‎PrayersForJustin‬
hillbilly
8/23/2015 7:15pm
He hit the inside wall so hard also and you know he was not braced,double wham.

Although it looks like there are whisps of smoke off his tires ,maybe residual from the car being sideways.

The guy has had some hellish crashes,i think he broke a hip or femur a few years back.
h&m_cycle
8/23/2015 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2015 10:03pm

h&m_cycle
8/23/2015 10:01pm
I was trying to get a better look at what Justin hit... I slowed it down, what ever it is, I circled, he is now past the
object and his car is turning left into the in side wall, the guy behind him had a close call too... best wishes...

hillbilly
8/24/2015 7:30am
It is the nose cone,very heavy.

You could tell by the reaction of safety guys it was bad the second they walked up.

He was out of the car quick and on a board.

Nascar drivers would be screwed with the local ccrews they use.
IWreckALot
8/24/2015 7:59am
I've always found it odd that the driver on those car is seeming so exposed.
Bob693
8/24/2015 6:27pm
RIP. So sad, he didn't even have anything to do with the crash other than being hit by debris.
Hut
8/24/2015 6:36pm
Rest in Peace
h&m_cycle
8/24/2015 6:37pm
REST IN PEACE...
logan_140
8/24/2015 6:52pm
Why not use a cockpit cover (like the top fuel dragsters use now)
Cygnus
8/24/2015 7:45pm
Sad news. Godspeed justin Wilson.
Tim507
8/24/2015 8:33pm
Way sad...... it was his time..... may he rest in piece
KMC440
8/24/2015 10:32pm
Thinking of his friends and especially the family, his daughters age 7 and 5 ... such a sad day for all.

Godspeed Justin.
hillbilly
8/25/2015 6:46am
Racers are a selfish bunch,only happy when living on the edge. The family having to live there to.

From what I've read his wife is a special one,wanting him to race.

The mid ohio race will be remembered by the drivers as one of his best moments IMO,he could have won that race but held his line on that last restart even while almost clear of rahal. He didn't want to screw up his ,rahal points lead.

As a racer I can't think of a better way to go,near the front with a chance to win and few laps to go.

And,I saw half a dozen near misses in that race where things could went just as bad,it is dangerous and that can never be eliminated nor should be.

The thrill is what makes it fun.

I'm gonna miss Justin's and his classy style.
jeffro503
8/25/2015 7:30am
I just saw this , this morning on my news feed. I didn't even know it happened as I'm only on about lap 65 of 200 of watching it. In fact he had just pulled in and out of the lead right before that. Man what a bummer. RIP Justin.
T.Page
8/25/2015 8:49am
Rip, so sad.
indy_maico
8/25/2015 10:23am
This is one of the nicest tributes that I've read today. From racer.com

Farewell to Justin Wilson, a rarity in the Me First World of Racing
Tuesday, 25 August 2015
By Robin Miller

Auto racing is a delicious melting pot of personalities from salt of the earth types to ego-maniacs to worker bees to wannabes to weasels to savants to throttle psychos to memorable characters that make you thankful to know them.
Drivers are the most fascinating because they take the risks and make the choices at 200mph. They tend to be selfish, moody and demanding because they have to and it's a culture that runs down one-way streets.

But Justin Wilson was a rarity in the Me First World of Racing.

He was unfailingly honest, polite, humble, friendly, loyal and upbeat in a career that never reached the heights it should have because of circumstances beyond his control.

Other than a short stint with Paul Newman and Carl Haas and this year's pinch-hit work for Michael Andretti, the talented Brit never got the call from the two top teams in American open-wheel racing.

The most asked question the past decade: "Why doesn't RP or Chip hire Justin Wilson?" He wasn't asking that, mind you, it was other drivers, mechanics and the media.

"If Justin ever got in one of these red cars he'd be a handful," said Will Power a few years ago, referring to Team Penske and or Target/Ganassi Racing.

"He was the greatest driver to never get a fair shot," said veteran engineer Bill Pappas.

But even more amazing than getting the cold shoulder from Ganassi and Penske is the fact that JWill never bitched about it. He never asked anyone to feel sorry for him or ranted about how underpaid he was despite his obvious ability.

After beating the Big 3 at Watkins Glen in 2009 to give Dale Coyne his initial IndyCar win after 25 years, Wilson should have pounded his chest and proclaimed himself Superman. Naturally that wasn't his style and the thought probably never crossed his mind.

"Happy to give Dale his first win and happy he gave me a job," were his post-race quotes.

And it was that irrepressible spirit, lack of ego and genuine kindness that made him so endearing to everyone that knew him.

"He was by far the nicest person in the whole paddock," said Oriol Servia on his Facebook page. "A true reference of integrity, talent and passion."

Graham Rahal called him the best teammate a driver could ever have and cherishes their days together at Newman/Haas when the lanky veteran would pass along daily compliments or handling tips.

I used to chide JWill for being too nice to be an Indy driver and he'd always laugh and ask if he needed to go "Paul Tracy" on someone?

Of course when the visor went down Justin was a tough hombre. Not cutthroat or dirty, just fierce – especially on a street circuit or road course where he really excelled.

One of his finest/toughest moments came in 2006 at Mexico City Driving for the upstart RuSports team, he broke a bone in wrist during practice but still won the pole position and held off Sebastian Bourdais in the Newman/Haas car until the final lap of the race when Seabass nudged him out of the way. Afterwards he slowly took off his helmet, rubbed his sore wrist and tried to reconcile what had just happened.

"Maybe I'd have done the same thing," he responded when asked about the contact. "Maybe not."

Watching him adapt to ovals was also inspiring. Following his oval-track debut at Milwaukee in 2004, the former Minardi and Jaguar F1 driver shook his head and gave thanks there was only one of them on the schedule. Eight years later he was standing in victory lane at Texas and embraced the irony.

"Justin Wilson wins on an oval, now that's a headline I never thought I'd see," he said with a chuckle afterwards.

It was that symmetry of humble badass excelling for a mid-tier team that endeared him to all of us. He won twice with Coyne, put Dreyer & Reinbold on the pole at Toronto and was leading when he spun out. He gave Eric Bachelart some great runs at Conquest Racing and took RuSport from start up to title contenders. He always made the best out of his situation.

"He was never negative," said Pappas, who engineered Wilson's successes at Coyne. "Every time something looked like chicken s**t, he made it chicken salad. So many times in '09, '12 and '13 we'd screw up in the pits and he'd come on the radio and say: 'OK, how we gonna get out of this?' In Brazil, he started at the back, drove to front, comes in, we didn't get fuel in the car so he goes from fifth to last but doesn't start screaming at everyone on the radio. He comes on and says 'What's the strategy from here?'

"Justin never looked at things from the downside. In 2013 we had the fastest car at Long Beach in practice but fail tech and don't get to qualify. He starts last, drives through the field and finishes third. Two more laps he may have won.

"They call Scott Dixon the Iceman but I called Justin the Silent Assassin because of how he carved his way through people."

JWill also carved out a home, a family and a career in the USA. He didn't see much of a future in F1 so he took a flyer on Champ Car and never looked back. "It was the smartest thing I ever did," he said back in 2006. "Very few drivers can show their true potential in F1 because of the discrepancy in equipment, engines and budgets. But in America a driver can get an opportunity and still make a difference."

Wilson ran with his opportunity – winning races, poles and universal respect for his clean, hard racing, chassis savvy and even-keeled attitude.

Still, his career is secondary to why he was so special and why we will miss that great smile and personality. Sure, he was definitely a top-shelf racer but, more importantly, he was a world-class human being.
h&m_cycle
8/25/2015 5:42pm
Sounds like a guy who wasn't a selfish bastard... Thinking of others... Man, that's got to be hard on his young family...
RIP...

On a lighter note I'm a organ donor too... But I turned 55 years old and all my parts are wearing out... Silly
h&m_cycle
8/25/2015 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 6:16pm
'''

Post a reply to: bad one at pocono,indycar

The Latest