Yep, we made it just fine

4stroke4DWIN
Edited Date/Time 4/15/2015 2:04pm
If you were born in the 70's you can relate. I got a good laugh relating to this. Check it out.here
|
Uncle Tony
4/14/2015 6:36am
That was pretty funny, the helmet mom was pretty hot
borg
4/14/2015 7:38am
What borders on ridiculous is that everybody drives their kids to school and picks them up. No matter how close the school is. The little fuckers need to walk! Does anybody notice how fat kids are now? I will refrain from telling you all that I walked 3 miles to and from school every day in the snow, uphill both ways. But seriously, NOBODY drove their kids to school when I was a kid.
Uncle Tony
4/14/2015 8:01am
I agree the fat little bastards need to walk to school more often, another thing, they need to go out to play, basket ball street hockey, stick ball, that's an inner city thing, kids don't play in the neighborhood anymore, they're all inside on the computer, it's pretty sad when a old bastard like me has more energy then a young kid
IWreckALot
4/14/2015 8:30am
That was back when they made beetles the right way. With the engines in the back. Notice the kid sitting in the window too. . . yep, just begging to go through the window. I bet dad had a 12 pack of natural light in the floorboard under his feet also.

The Shop

MR. X
4/14/2015 8:31am
We used to get to the bus stop extra early so we could get a game of 2 hand touch football in before the bus came.
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 8:41am
Shoot, Saturday mornings it was cartoons til 10am or so and then it was time to round up the posse. Run the neighborhood and check in every couple of hrs. Drink from the water hose, we din't have time for bottled waters. You had to get as much play time in before dark as you could.

When my kids were young if I told them to go outside and play you would of thought I sentenced them to life of hard labor, times have changed but not for the better.
KMC440
4/14/2015 8:42am
The seat belts on a 66 Dodge Coronet station wagon left exposed to the sun in 105degree NoCal summer will leave you scarred for life literally. The safe place for those chrome frying pans IS tucked between the cushions.
MR. X
4/14/2015 8:46am
Shoot, Saturday mornings it was cartoons til 10am or so and then it was time to round up the posse. Run the neighborhood and check in...
Shoot, Saturday mornings it was cartoons til 10am or so and then it was time to round up the posse. Run the neighborhood and check in every couple of hrs. Drink from the water hose, we din't have time for bottled waters. You had to get as much play time in before dark as you could.

When my kids were young if I told them to go outside and play you would of thought I sentenced them to life of hard labor, times have changed but not for the better.
You never wanted to be the one to drink from the hose first though,the first drinks were always wicked hot from cooking In the sun.
KMC440
4/14/2015 8:46am
IWreckALot wrote:
That was back when they made beetles the right way. With the engines in the back. Notice the kid sitting in the window too. ....
That was back when they made beetles the right way. With the engines in the back. Notice the kid sitting in the window too. . . yep, just begging to go through the window. I bet dad had a 12 pack of natural light in the floorboard under his feet also.
I remember that pocket over top of the motor was mine and my sister's favorite place to sit.

I was crushed when I didn't fit any longer. I look at those places tucked under the back window now and have no clue how I fit there.
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 8:48am
borg wrote:
What borders on ridiculous is that everybody drives their kids to school and picks them up. No matter how close the school is. The little fuckers...
What borders on ridiculous is that everybody drives their kids to school and picks them up. No matter how close the school is. The little fuckers need to walk! Does anybody notice how fat kids are now? I will refrain from telling you all that I walked 3 miles to and from school every day in the snow, uphill both ways. But seriously, NOBODY drove their kids to school when I was a kid.
I hear ya, but there's just too many weirdos out there now. No way I'm letting my kid walk to school and I live an area that I shouldn't even be worried about it.
71Fish
4/14/2015 8:54am
Shoot, Saturday mornings it was cartoons til 10am or so and then it was time to round up the posse. Run the neighborhood and check in...

That's funny. How old are your kids? Do they have to take a device when sentenced to outdoor play?
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 9:01am

71Fish wrote:
That's funny. How old are your kids? Do they have to take a device when sentenced to outdoor play?
Well they are 17 and 15 now, but when they were around 10, telling them to go outside was crazy talk.
Uncle Tony
4/14/2015 9:07am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I hear ya, but there's just too many weirdos out there now. No way I'm letting my kid walk to school and I live an area...
I hear ya, but there's just too many weirdos out there now. No way I'm letting my kid walk to school and I live an area that I shouldn't even be worried about it.
I always thought about that, are there more weirdos now, or is there just more ways to get information out quicker then 45 years ago? I have 2 sex offenders living on my block, years ago I would have never known
DownSouth
4/14/2015 9:18am
My brother and I went through 2 generations of jarts. The originals were fun but after a little R&D they made them so the tail fins slid along to the back of the handle after you threw them so they were more aerodynamic.

When we were bored of playing by the rules we sharpened the points on my dads bench grinder so that we could throw them at trees in the back yard and they would jab right in.

I always rode my bicycle to the elementary school in my neighborhood and from Jr high and on I rode the bus, no one ever drove me to school. And like someone else mentioned we would be at the bus stop early to play ball before and after school.
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 9:23am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I hear ya, but there's just too many weirdos out there now. No way I'm letting my kid walk to school and I live an area...
Uncle Tony wrote:
I always thought about that, are there more weirdos now, or is there just more ways to get information out quicker then 45 years ago? I...
I always thought about that, are there more weirdos now, or is there just more ways to get information out quicker then 45 years ago? I have 2 sex offenders living on my block, years ago I would have never known
Probably both
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 9:41am
Riding in the bed of the truck with NFG, 70's and 80's not to many super cab or extended cabs. 3 seats and the bed. I remember being 11 or 12 riding down the interstate from San Antonio back to Houston in the bed of our f100 with a camper on it and my dad downing roadies all the way home lmao! It was the norm back then.
Tracktor
4/14/2015 10:52am
DownSouth wrote:
My brother and I went through 2 generations of jarts. The originals were fun but after a little R&D they made them so the tail fins...
My brother and I went through 2 generations of jarts. The originals were fun but after a little R&D they made them so the tail fins slid along to the back of the handle after you threw them so they were more aerodynamic.

When we were bored of playing by the rules we sharpened the points on my dads bench grinder so that we could throw them at trees in the back yard and they would jab right in.

I always rode my bicycle to the elementary school in my neighborhood and from Jr high and on I rode the bus, no one ever drove me to school. And like someone else mentioned we would be at the bus stop early to play ball before and after school.
I lived on a farm and found an old box of saw blades in the shop. I little grinder work and BAM redneck throwing stars!

We live in the country & don;'t have TV so my kids play outside pretty much all the time. The downside is they are always into shit in my shop. I get pissed then remember it's better than the alternative. I taught my older boy to run the tractor so now it's all about building their pitbike track................
IWreckALot
4/14/2015 11:11am
DownSouth wrote:
My brother and I went through 2 generations of jarts. The originals were fun but after a little R&D they made them so the tail fins...

Tracktor wrote:
I lived on a farm and found an old box of saw blades in the shop. I little grinder work and BAM redneck throwing stars! We...
I lived on a farm and found an old box of saw blades in the shop. I little grinder work and BAM redneck throwing stars!

We live in the country & don;'t have TV so my kids play outside pretty much all the time. The downside is they are always into shit in my shop. I get pissed then remember it's better than the alternative. I taught my older boy to run the tractor so now it's all about building their pitbike track................
My wife and I plan on buying her dad's property sometime in the near future. If we have kids, they'll be growing up on a horse property. Plenty of room to play outside and don't have to worry about some wierdo's coming onto the property so much.
whyZ
4/14/2015 12:03pm
With my brothers and I, if you called shot-gun it meant the seat behind Dad. Between driving and drinking a beer it was too difficult get the backhand slap all the way around. The passengers seat though.....Oh the humanity!
Sandberm
4/14/2015 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 12:23pm
whyZ wrote:
With my brothers and I, if you called shot-gun it meant the seat behind Dad. Between driving and drinking a beer it was too difficult get...
With my brothers and I, if you called shot-gun it meant the seat behind Dad. Between driving and drinking a beer it was too difficult get the backhand slap all the way around. The passengers seat though.....Oh the humanity!
The guy who lived across the street from my parents in socal in the early 60's had a keg in the trunk of his car an ran a hose up to the dashboard so he could get easier refills.

No shit.

Oh, bicycle helmet 70's mom is smokin hot! I'm picturing a full lush blonde carpet.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/14/2015 12:41pm
I slept in the back window of our car on every road trip. My parents would drop us off every day during summer at the strip in Fort Lauderdale with a box of donut holes and a two leader of soda with our snorkeling gear, fishing poles and surf boards while they went to work all day in elementary and middle school. There was an old school bus that went around picking up random kids from every neighborhood and then went to the bowling alley, mall, movies, cable ski park, beach etc. No cell phones, no wait I have to ask my parents just climb aboard. Yes sometimes parents had to go look for their kids at these locations but it was all good. There was always a free phone at each place to call home. Good old days.
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 12:49pm
I didn't have it too bad because we always lived in places where I could go play all day and it wasn't an issue, but I'm still jealous of the freedom ya'll had when you were younger. I'm 27 and it sounds like being a kid "back in the day" was pretty badass.
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 12:55pm
Anyone else had a parent that smoked and being sent into the store to buy smokes at 8 yrs oldGrinning
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 12:57pm
Anyone else had a parent that smoked and being sent into the store to buy smokes at 8 yrs oldGrinning
No, just remember my dad being glad when I turned 18 because I could finally buy him some copenhagen
Uncle Tony
4/14/2015 12:58pm
The 60s and 70s was a great time to grow up in America, 80s wasn't so bad either, 90s we started getting vaginized now look where we're at now, lol
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 1:01pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
No, just remember my dad being glad when I turned 18 because I could finally buy him some copenhagen
At 18 you become the family gopher lol. You are a late 80's baby. The 90's were still good, seems like after 2000 parents started bubble wrapping there kids from the world.
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 1:02pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
The 60s and 70s was a great time to grow up in America, 80s wasn't so bad either, 90s we started getting vaginized now look where...
The 60s and 70s was a great time to grow up in America, 80s wasn't so bad either, 90s we started getting vaginized now look where we're at now, lol
As a kid of the 90's, I completely agree. What happened, though? How did it get this way?
Uncle Tony
4/14/2015 3:01pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
The 60s and 70s was a great time to grow up in America, 80s wasn't so bad either, 90s we started getting vaginized now look where...
hvaughn88 wrote:
As a kid of the 90's, I completely agree. What happened, though? How did it get this way?
I don't know hvaughn88 sometime in the 90s political correctness started moving in and then sadly 9/11, we can't say what we want to to anymore and then we kinda lost our freedom, when I first started driving there was no such thing as a DWI, well there was but the police didn't arrest you or had DWI checkpoints, the cops would tell you to sleep it off and bring your keys back when their shift was over, 1972 I was in high school and got in trouble, my parents had to come down to see the principal, well we walk in his office and he's drunk, my parents didn't bat an eye, now forget that,union jobs here in New York it was almost a requirement that you drank on the job, the job got done and nobody one complained, I tend to think MADD started all this! Lol, America is pretty boring now Sad
APLMAN99
4/14/2015 3:32pm
borg wrote:
What borders on ridiculous is that everybody drives their kids to school and picks them up. No matter how close the school is. The little fuckers...
Everyone who lived around me was driven to school daily, either by bus or parent.

Of course it was 15 miles to my elementary school and 32 miles to junior high and high school..........

My kids walk just about exactly a mile to school, though.

Post a reply to: Yep, we made it just fine

The Latest