Worst job you ever had?

scooter5002
2/6/2016 8:17am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2016 8:18am
The one I have now, simply because of where I do it. Moved back east a few months ago, and driving a truck down here is just hell. Every fucking day, all fucking day. The absolute ignorance displayed by drivers of every type of vehicle is beyond my comprehension, and truck drivers are some of the biggest assholes out here. Miss the days when a moose or a deer provided some temporary excitement, in an otherwise pretty good place to be. Even running Cali wasn't like this shit. Probably best I'm not allowed to carry a firearm, the first clip would be empty, 10 minutes from the house on Monday morning.
2/6/2016 8:39am
Construction laborer for a psychotic redneck- in winter. One time he had me spend all day moving a scrap pile about 30 feet. I am pretty sure he did that just for kicks.

I spent a summer digging postholes at a vineyard in 100 degree heat. That ended when I forgot to set a brake on a tractor and it rolled into a stone wall and got all fucked up.
Rooster
2/6/2016 11:34am
Mixing and delivering buckets of stucco for a crew. Mix two 5 gallon buckets of sand and rocks willed with water. Haul them around to the other side of a large apartment building and then haul them up three stories of scaffolding and walk them half a block on the ricketiest bloody scaffolding boards you've ever had the misfortune to set foot on.

Absolutely zero regard for safety on that site.

The Shop

2/6/2016 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2016 7:09pm
Roofing & Framing Carpentry post high school pre college. Have family that's been quite successful in contracting and commercial roofing here in IL and Dallas, NOPE. Not for me.

I attribute that experience directly to assuming student loan debt and motivating me through hell.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
2/6/2016 2:49pm
Doing high radiation disposal work at a plant that was very half assed.
captmoto
2/6/2016 4:09pm
Cleaned a donut shop twice a day. What a fucking mess. Got sick of donuts too.

In some ways being a firefighter/paramedic was a shitty job too.
Foghorn
2/6/2016 6:05pm
Worked on a potato farm two summers during harvest when I was in junior high in the 70s. Small operation with about 120 tons of reds and netta gems off 80 acres if I recall correctly. Single row combine and a six wheel drive army truck with a hopper collecting the potatoes as they came out of the combine. First job was at the bottom where the spuds and huge clods of earth came up. Had to pull as many of the large heavy clods off as I could as they came up and throw them to the ground. Hot exhaust from the combine, dirt and dust blowing in my face. Got promoted to the top of the combine picking lumps out as the potatoes and lumps rolled by before going into the army truck hopper. Good for hand eye coordination. Smile Then it was off to the roothouse where you pulled the gates on the bottom of the hopper so the potatoes would land on rollers and go through the washer. Then hold the 50 and 100 lb burlap bags as they filled with spuds and then stack them. Back to do it all over again. $15 a day for 12 hour days although the home cooked meals were great. Happy with the pay then too! In hindsight, it was a good experience.
Beast666
2/6/2016 6:23pm
The last few motorcycle shops I worked absolutely sucked balls. Poor pay, no benefits, piss poor customer service. Needless to say I am no longer working in the industry and more than likely will ever work in a bike shop again.
JustMX
2/6/2016 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2016 7:44pm
worked for a couple months sandblasting and painting huge oil storage tanks at a pipeline yard in Nashville, TN about 30 years ago.

We would sandblast all day and then quit about an hour before dark to paint everything so the dew wouldn't make it rust.

We used black sand that was just horrible and the equipment was just pitiful. Frayed cables, vented hoods that never worked (it was august).

We had blasted primed and painted the sides of a tank white and the next day we blasted the dome of the tank. The owner of the company went and got drunk and didn't bring us the paint we needed to prime that evening. we got up the next morning and it was pouring rain like piss out of a boot.

The hung over owner shows up and is freaking out because rust is running over the sides of the tank that we had already painted.. he pulls out a pressure washer and wants us to get in the basket hanging from that frayed cable and keep the rust from staining the white paint.

It is still pouring and starting to have lightning all around us. I informed him that I would not be doing that. He had the friend of mine that had gotten me the job take me to the motel, grabbed my stuff and put me out.

I got on the borrowed T500 Suzuki street bike I was using for transportation and rode from Nashville to Chattanooga and it poured the whole way.

It is still one of my most memorable rides.

2/6/2016 9:16pm
Worst job was working at a distribution factory for mostly womens clothing. It was always way more hot and humid in there than outside that every day swamp ass was inevitable and I had jock itch all summer I couldnt get rid off. Im a clean guy too but it was disgustingly humid in there, Id be soaked head to toe in sweat. Almost all the other employees were women who were very catty and just all around jerks. I did mind numbing work, like folding boxes all day or loading trucks all day. That job made me feel worthless as a human.

My current job as a motorcycle tech is enjoyable, but the pay is mediocre.
2/6/2016 11:31pm
I was a bus boy for one night. My brother actually had the job and I was filling in for him with the opportunity to stay on if I wanted. I said thanks but no thanks after that night. I don't mind hard work, but there has to be some satisfaction and that didn't do it for me. At least it gave me an appreciation for people who want to do the jobs I don't.
JW381
2/7/2016 2:35am
Only had 5, working customer service at a newspaper had to have accelerated my aging process. Basically robbed me of my late teens/early 20's and straight into bitter old man. Customers suck, but geriatric customers are a special breed of satanic spawn.
mxb2
2/7/2016 9:03am
The one I have now, simply because of where I do it. Moved back east a few months ago, and driving a truck down here is...
The one I have now, simply because of where I do it. Moved back east a few months ago, and driving a truck down here is just hell. Every fucking day, all fucking day. The absolute ignorance displayed by drivers of every type of vehicle is beyond my comprehension, and truck drivers are some of the biggest assholes out here. Miss the days when a moose or a deer provided some temporary excitement, in an otherwise pretty good place to be. Even running Cali wasn't like this shit. Probably best I'm not allowed to carry a firearm, the first clip would be empty, 10 minutes from the house on Monday morning.
If your resume is good plenty of jobs out there. Why work at a place you hate? Life is short.
Uncle Tony
2/7/2016 9:14am
The one I have now, simply because of where I do it. Moved back east a few months ago, and driving a truck down here is...
What did you move to New York?
jamma10
2/7/2016 9:17am
A friends dad had a Sewage/Water surveying company where a few of us worked on and off when we were younger. We would be sent out in crews of three people to install monitors in sewage pipes and then take regular recordings of the depths and flow rates of over a few weeks or months.

One guy (the diver!) would be lowered into the manhole to install a probe or take manual measurements - which usually involved kneeling in shit, removing excrement, tampons, condoms, toilet roll and fat deposits by hand - another would sit at the top downloading data onto a laptop, while the labourers job was to lift the manhole covers, clean the equipment and man the gas monitor incase the methane levels rose and the diver had to be winched out suddenly. An average day proabably involved visiting about 10 - 12 manholes. Fucking gross, but it paid alright.
2/7/2016 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2016 3:00pm
tomm55x wrote:
Working in a chemical plant in Ashtabula Oh, having to go into ginormous chlorine tanks and jackhammer the floors and and haul out the block because...
Working in a chemical plant in Ashtabula Oh, having to go into ginormous chlorine tanks and jackhammer the floors and and haul out the block because it has to be replaced every so often, knowing that if your air tank or mask had a malfunction that death is the most possible outcome. Once inhaled that stuff in its airborne form will burn your lungs out literally and much like mold it will never leave your respiratory system. I didn't know the degree of what I was getting into until we got there the first day and I had to take safety tests before even walking through the door, I knew then that this was some serious stuff. I didn't make it long there although it was great money.
My dads the electrical and mechanical maintenance manager at that place. That's a tough job. The union refuses to do it so they have to contract out the work.

Are you still around Ashtabula area ? That plant is a gravy mine. Guys with no education make big big money. That union is a little too strong in my opinion. Gives my dad a hell of a time. 2 am calling guys for overtime at $50-70 an hour and nobody picks up their phone!!! I'd for sure go in for that.
2/7/2016 3:20pm
JW381 wrote:
Only had 5, working customer service at a newspaper had to have accelerated my aging process. Basically robbed me of my late teens/early 20's and straight...
Only had 5, working customer service at a newspaper had to have accelerated my aging process. Basically robbed me of my late teens/early 20's and straight into bitter old man. Customers suck, but geriatric customers are a special breed of satanic spawn.
Try being a nurse. It's no picnic lol. I feel your pain man!
Old-Man
2/7/2016 4:20pm
KMC440 wrote:
I tried insulation install between jobs in my early 20's. Oh my god how can anyone do that shit?!?! I eventually wore a hoodie with Oakley...
I tried insulation install between jobs in my early 20's. Oh my god how can anyone do that shit?!?! I eventually wore a hoodie with Oakley goggles and gloves above my wrists. Nothing worked, I made it to Tuesday of the second week. Dizzy

and no "mop guy" at the peep show stories Peely.
I'm right there with you.
My Uncle gave me a job in a HTG&AIR Conditioning business when I was 12
I was in charge of Fabricating duct board at the age of 12 through a machine I was in charge of setting up.
Duct board is a high fibrous insulation like fabricated board to make duct work.
Not allowed in Schools or Hospitals in the early 80's but it was a madhouse for residential builds for the most part.

I was in a warehouse with no exhaust fan making this shit and going home every night looking forward to that hot shower. Looking back I had no mouth protection and no air movement as a fan whats so ever.

I have a shit load of stories between me and my Cousin/Uncle that would go to court these days but hay!...It was Family right?...Fuk that! Made my cut from the Family business by joining the Army to get away from all the BS that I seen coming.

8 years later my Uncle sold the business because his son was a idiot.

Feel sad for my GrandFather because we had the same vision but the wrong son/daughter was put in charge
2/7/2016 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2016 5:22pm
Well if he could see your vintage Kawi today he'd know he made a mistake on whose in charge. I'd still trade you my steel frame cr....

Update. I'm confusing you with oldnslo nevermind.
SF45
2/7/2016 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2016 5:52pm
How bout the best job you had as a youngster? I'd have to say this one for me:

Got to race against American Lemans series drivers, smoked them, but that's to be expected on a home track. Hooking up buddies was fun. As was partying with the front desk girls Wink Used to do a little supermoto on a klx110 on slow Saturday mornings too.
2/7/2016 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2016 6:43pm
Best job.

Flagger at north east motocross complex. Had so much fun. Was around dirtbikes. Loved every second of it. Worked there for 4 seasons Friday Saturday and Sunday. $200 cash in my pocket every Sunday at 5pm. I was living high off the hog at 17 years old.

Man. No bills. $800 a month income. Living at home with ma and pa. That be like me making a $300,000 salary now lol Those are the days !!!!

@SFS You're my kinda friend! Ha. Friend hook ups!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/7/2016 9:12pm
Worst Job: Home Depot, customers would get so mad if I didn't know where something was. I would make secret hiding spots in the insulation isle like little forts and chill for 15 minutes at a time.Tongue

Best Job: Shooting snowboard videos and videos for Vital! Silly
tomm55x
2/8/2016 4:03am
tomm55x wrote:
Working in a chemical plant in Ashtabula Oh, having to go into ginormous chlorine tanks and jackhammer the floors and and haul out the block because...
Working in a chemical plant in Ashtabula Oh, having to go into ginormous chlorine tanks and jackhammer the floors and and haul out the block because it has to be replaced every so often, knowing that if your air tank or mask had a malfunction that death is the most possible outcome. Once inhaled that stuff in its airborne form will burn your lungs out literally and much like mold it will never leave your respiratory system. I didn't know the degree of what I was getting into until we got there the first day and I had to take safety tests before even walking through the door, I knew then that this was some serious stuff. I didn't make it long there although it was great money.
My dads the electrical and mechanical maintenance manager at that place. That's a tough job. The union refuses to do it so they have to contract...
My dads the electrical and mechanical maintenance manager at that place. That's a tough job. The union refuses to do it so they have to contract out the work.

Are you still around Ashtabula area ? That plant is a gravy mine. Guys with no education make big big money. That union is a little too strong in my opinion. Gives my dad a hell of a time. 2 am calling guys for overtime at $50-70 an hour and nobody picks up their phone!!! I'd for sure go in for that.
I live in Erie, still do, Erie county anyway, that was another draw back, hour drive everyday . I'm sure there's good money to be made there, I made very good money at the time but it just wasn't for me.
IWreckALot
2/8/2016 6:30am
Worst Job: Home Depot, customers would get so mad if I didn't know where something was. I would make secret hiding spots in the insulation isle...
Worst Job: Home Depot, customers would get so mad if I didn't know where something was. I would make secret hiding spots in the insulation isle like little forts and chill for 15 minutes at a time.Tongue

Best Job: Shooting snowboard videos and videos for Vital! Silly
I worked at Home Depot in high school too in the building materials area. The worst customers to deal with were the middle eastern guys. They would interrupt you in the middle of helping other customers to try to drag you away and wouldn't give up. I even had one guy that refused to load his own 4 gallons of paint and he got pissed when I wasn't "gentle" enough loading it into his little box car thing.

I haven't had any truly terrible jobs. Bus boy at Red Lobster was probably the one I cared the least for.
sostoked
2/8/2016 7:41am
Had a lot of crappy jobs. Minimum wage just sucks no matter what it is. Doing overnight stocking shelves for a grocery store springs to mind as the worst. Those were some sleepy days.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/8/2016 3:42pm
A friend of mine who is now a stone mason was learning the trade when I was in college. He offered me a job for a day helping out on a job that his boss needed done. Tying rebar in the footers for a foundation in the hot sun is not a good time. I finished up for the day and vowed never to work like that again. It sure gave me motivation to do well in school!
scooter5002
2/9/2016 11:08am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 11:09am
mxb2 wrote:
If your resume is good plenty of jobs out there. Why work at a place you hate? Life is short.
In theory, yes, you're right. However, I bought a new truck less than 2 years ago, and it's too new to sell. I'm stuck with it, and that's just the way it is. Would love to go do something else, anything that doesn't involve sitting all day. At almost 35 years of this, I've more than had enough. Only bought the new truck, because I was really diggin' the work in the patch, and it was worth the investment. Than the work just dried right up. Oops.

Only moved home because of my woman, she was 2000 miles from me. Should've found myself a reasonably priced hooker, and gotten over it. Oh well, here I am.

Tony, I only run through the west end of NY, and that's as close as I want to get, to the Rotten Apple. Was down into the piers in Newark in '11, first time in 20 years. What a clusterfuck. I don't need to tell you that.
h&m_cycle
2/9/2016 11:15am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 11:18am
I agree... I'm on my 10 now... Pittsburgh is a small time clusterfuck... Company or O/O different problems... same result...
Tim507
2/9/2016 11:56am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 11:57am
Awe the worse job…….UPS – I was about 27, just had the cast taken off from a broken left navicular and needed a job. Went to several cattle call interviews – yuk – U-haul extended me an offer to be a Commander at one of their facilities in the Seattle area….NOT!

Back to the paper – there was an Ad for UPS…hmmm – man in brown. Called, got an appointment for testing and interview. Made the appointment and by the time I got home there was a message on the phone. Start work next Monday at the South Center Warehouse…..at 3:30 AM.
Monday at 3:15 AM I’m told I will be an unloader……the exterior rollup doors go up and there is a belly trailer loaded with more fkn boxes than I had ever seen. There was a lower and upper level and rollers. You flipped down the interior rollers and started schlepping boxes.

A few minutes into this a suited clipboard operator with 3 stops watches starts timing me. Of course I stop and ask him – what’s up!! He tells me to get back to work. I press him and he explains he is timing 2 minute intervals. Game on……..the rollers make a tone so that became my bench mark. The boxes sent down the rollers went to a sorter and then to secondary sorter then to loadersEvil

3 hours later when the trucks were empty we were sent home. The next morning the suit told me I was doing great and by the end of the week I would be promoted for sure. Sure!Whistling

Well my navicular hurt like hell each time a box hit the wrist hard.Unsure (Eventually had to have a bone graft from my hip to get it to heal.) Thursday AM came and my wrist was swollen up. The suit announced that the positons we were working in would be the same ones for the indefinite future! What!!!Angry

So I made it my mission to make those rollers sing a steady note much higher than they had ever done!Evil
Man did the sorters and loaders bitch and moan…..when the morning ended I handed the suit my address on a piece of paper and told him to send my check to the address.Tongue

See ya UPS.

Post a reply to: Worst job you ever had?

The Latest