Worst job you ever had?

KMC440
Edited Date/Time 2/14/2016 11:22am
I tried insulation install between jobs in my early 20's. Oh my god how can anyone do that shit?!?! I eventually wore a hoodie with Oakley goggles and gloves above my wrists. Nothing worked, I made it to Tuesday of the second week. Dizzy

and no "mop guy" at the peep show stories Peely.
|
Uncle Tony
2/5/2016 4:35pm
Cedar shakes on a 4600 square foot house, when I first retired I helped a friend of mine build a house in the hamptons, now I know why contractors all smoke weed, never again!
SF45
2/5/2016 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2016 5:06pm
I worked for a staffing agency years ago. One time I had to go around a mall renovation doing nothing but picking up trash. Another time I had to dig a couple 40 foot long 3 foot deep ditches by myself all day. Actually, the ditches weren't too bad. Free workout
newmann
2/5/2016 5:07pm
Ditches. I was the guy in the trench with a sharpshooter shovel cleaning up after a beer drinking schmuck in the cab of the track hoe. Got a whole neighborhood worth of 48 inch cement drainage done and covered when he figured out he had everything on the wrong side of the survey markers. He swung the bucket a little too close for comfort on more than one occasion, shook a little mud off from above and snapped the laser transit stick i was holding with the bucket once. Proverbial straw that broke this 18 year olds temper. I was headed towards him with a shovel...lol. Middle of the summer in Southeast Texas. Fuck that and fuck him.Laughing
SF45
2/5/2016 5:10pm
forgot one. Same staffing agency, there was a fire at an apartment complex, and me and a couple other guys had to haul crap out of there by hand. It smelled weird. That wasn't fun.

The Shop

sleeve1
Fantasy
1966th
2/5/2016 5:12pm
I worked for my mom in her boarding kennel for dogs until i left for the Army after high school. I have a lot experience picking up dog poo.
2/5/2016 5:31pm
Working in a flour factory - bagging and then packing onto crates. Actually what made that one horrible was not the actual job (though it was long hrs and back breaking work) but most of the people who were a bunch of twats. I always try my best to stick these things out and I can get along with just about anyone, but I have admit I didn't last long there.
DPR250R
2/5/2016 5:42pm
I got nothing on you guys but here goes....

Customer Service Rep for Jaguar North America. I hated it so much... but the people I worked with were really great.
indy_maico
2/5/2016 5:44pm
I worked in a cast iron foundry where they made railroad car couplers, sideframes and bolsters for the wheel trucks, etc.

It was sand casting, and when they shook the molds out the sand went underground onto a conveyor belt that took it to be re-oiled so that it could be used again.

I had to go into those tunnels and shovel sand back onto the conveyor belt. You couldn't see your hand in front of your face for the dust.

You could only stay down there for about 15 minutes at a time before the sand had worked through the respirators and you were choking on dust.

I quit that place after a month!
2/5/2016 5:45pm
Kraftmaid cabinetry on the sanding line, and pulling plugs. Also worked in staging so I pulled boards off the belt a charge of 10 came every 6 seconds and ten of us had to gather them and read the label and place them in the correct stage box so they could be put together on the assembly line. Tough job.

Plugs were styrofoam inserts in the doors where the hinges were applied after being sanded and painted.

It was 140 degrees in there! The formaldehyde worked up my asthma so bad I felt like I was racing a 20 lap moto in a few minutes. They didn't provide respirators or dedicated fresh air. That job showed me who I didn't want to be.

Worked there for $8.60 an hour at 18 years old. Walked out after 4 months. The only job I ever walked out of. Applied to ups part time and stayed there for 7 years. Best job I ever had! Fun, demanding awesome benefits! Perfecto college job!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/5/2016 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2016 5:57pm
I worked for a uniform rental company called CINTAS for about 4 months. I got out of the motorcycle business to go there for good money and better hours but at the end of the day I was still picking up and delivering laundry Sad quit and went back into the motorcycle business. I set concrete forms for a year once also and was in the best shape of my life.
wreckitrandy
2/5/2016 6:01pm
When I was 11 and 12 years old, I cleaned stables for a rich family with my uncle. Early on Saturday mornings we took a dump truck to get sawdust. He would take the horses out of the stalls while I shoveled da bidness. There would be 10 to 15 horses, Tenn Walkers, and it would be dark when he would finish spreading manure. I made 20 bucks. One day I was complaining to my granny about the work. She set me straight. 'There is no job that you can do that is beneath you. No matter how bad it is seems, do the best you can do. There are a lot of people that would love to have that job.' She came up during the depression and at 7 years old was tending the fire to her brother's still.
The same uncle, during the summer while school was out would take me on his Servomation truck. We kept the vending machines full at the mills and factories. I got the honor of cleaning the coffee machines..... It was more nasty than the horse poo. To this day, I hate horses and the very thought of coffee.
hvaughn88
2/5/2016 6:08pm
When I was in high school, I had a job setting up inflatable games at parties, fairs, shit like that. Basically a carnie. It's gets really hot here and the vinyl would get super hot and blister the back of your knuckles when you rolled them up. That job taught me there are a lot of really shitty parents in the world. I did have the coolest boss in the world though. He was such a good dude. He's always gone out of his way to help out the less fortunate and helps take care of the homeless. He's actually been spending the last month in a homeless camp to better learn how he can help them in the future. He's a rad dude.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/5/2016 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2016 6:21pm
Worked for Yamaha Motor Corp for 7 years...my boss was a micro-managing corrupt asshole..too bad because it could have been a great job..

For example..

My boss created a trucking company in his wife's maiden name and then leased the race haulers back to Yamaha at a cost determined by him.

He used to pump the shop floor drain holding tank (gas, anti-freeze, etc) into the woods to save money in his budget

He used to sell prototype products that were supposed to be destroyed to his friends..or products that were written off. For example- Those products were to be destroyed, serial numbers cut out and pictures taken as proof - he would destroy one and take multiple pictures making them appear as though he destroyed 10 or 15 and then sell them.

He would fill his truck up from the gas pump at the shop..

He would buy equipment for the shop (lathes, Bridgeport, washer, dryer, etc) but have them shipped to his house.

He would sometimes get angry at work and not talk to any of us for 6 months at a time! LoL

The Japanese completely trusted him and he knew it so he was able to get away with anything he wanted..

That was just the tip of the iceberg! Laughing

Anyways he was "let go" a few years ago..
ATKpilot99
2/5/2016 6:23pm
In my early 20s I briefly worked in the cooler at a meat packing plant pushing sides of beef onto the trucks. They were hanging from pulleys and you would push as many as you could at a time. 26 hours worked in 2 miserable days and that was enough for me.
MaxPower
2/5/2016 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2016 6:38pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Cedar shakes on a 4600 square foot house, when I first retired I helped a friend of mine build a house in the hamptons, now I...
Cedar shakes on a 4600 square foot house, when I first retired I helped a friend of mine build a house in the hamptons, now I know why contractors all smoke weed, never again!
Are you serious? I love doing shakes. And I don't smoke
MR. X
2/5/2016 6:43pm
Did roofing on the weekends one summer and worked at pizza hut in high school, hard to say which was worse.
2/5/2016 7:11pm
I did roofing for a while. Very tough. But damn did it save me a ton of money when I had to do my house!!! Good to know how to do it.
XXVoid MainXX
2/5/2016 7:49pm
Looking back I don't think any of the jobs I ever had were bad jobs. Not even the dairy farming. Smile
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
2/5/2016 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2016 8:06pm
During High School, dishwasher at a big resort, and busboy at a golf resort (that was actually a pretty easy job for what was "good" money at that age).

But the worst job was my late teens, trying to juggle racing, girls, parties, and girls. Me and some buddies went to work for a painting company prepping houses.

I can recall more than one morning going straight from some party and sleeping in the truck for a couple hours in front of the job site. Get woke up, hungover, in middle of hot AZ summer. Even at 5am it's hot.

We got fired because one of us (Curtis) decided it would be funny (it was) to use the masking tape to outline a big 6' tall penis drawing on this huge front window of one of the houses getting built. He probably used 4 rolls of tape, and spent 2 hours making this masterpiece. That was our last day and end of the painter apprentice career. We laughed all the way home....
71Fish
2/5/2016 9:13pm
Big brown truck driver.
olddude
2/5/2016 10:10pm
Nobody ever quits a job, they quit the manager.

Oilfield. I cleaned out the sludge in the bottom of a tank. Once completed, color me gone. H2S2?

Schwan's was a bit of a bitch, but the customers where ok.
JPT
2/5/2016 10:21pm
Done a lot of jobs in my life. Bucked bales at 14, spent a Summer just out of college as janitor. The only job I truly hated was a car salesman. They started teaching me to lie day two. Quit day three.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
2/5/2016 10:41pm
Dairy Queen in High School. The only upside was I got free ice cream and then also when me and fellow employee quit we took a box of burger patties with us and had a sweet senior high school BBQ at a friends house.
brlatm
2/5/2016 10:56pm
Worst was a Regional Sales job for a large oilfield company, I quit after I was told to lie to a person about providing a service 3 weeks down the road. I told the guy what was going to happen and how I was quitting because I couldn't lie to him. 7 months later he called out of the blue and hired me into a foremen position for his company.

Fuck Sales!!!

Hey Reese you win a handjob from NutterButter....that job would suck.
MotoMo165
2/6/2016 1:00am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2016 1:01am
Brad460 wrote:
Worked for Yamaha Motor Corp for 7 years...my boss was a micro-managing corrupt asshole..too bad because it could have been a great job.. For example.. My...
Worked for Yamaha Motor Corp for 7 years...my boss was a micro-managing corrupt asshole..too bad because it could have been a great job..

For example..

My boss created a trucking company in his wife's maiden name and then leased the race haulers back to Yamaha at a cost determined by him.

He used to pump the shop floor drain holding tank (gas, anti-freeze, etc) into the woods to save money in his budget

He used to sell prototype products that were supposed to be destroyed to his friends..or products that were written off. For example- Those products were to be destroyed, serial numbers cut out and pictures taken as proof - he would destroy one and take multiple pictures making them appear as though he destroyed 10 or 15 and then sell them.

He would fill his truck up from the gas pump at the shop..

He would buy equipment for the shop (lathes, Bridgeport, washer, dryer, etc) but have them shipped to his house.

He would sometimes get angry at work and not talk to any of us for 6 months at a time! LoL

The Japanese completely trusted him and he knew it so he was able to get away with anything he wanted..

That was just the tip of the iceberg! Laughing

Anyways he was "let go" a few years ago..
Hahaha that is some crazy stuff!!! What is your position if you don't mind sharing.

hahaha my jobs have not been as shitty as some of yalls
fins227
2/6/2016 1:27am
Right after highschool I polished aluminum fuel tanks for KW trucks. I Would come out of that pole barn after 10 hrs black as coal. Worked 7 days a week.

It was so hot in there I thought it would be interesting to see what the temp inside the building was, after hanging the thermometer (in the morning) I started my day. It wasn't 30min before the plant manager was asking me if I wanted to keep my job! Needless to say they removed the thermo.
Obviously the horror didn't stop there but I quit shortly after.
12hr.
Group23
2/6/2016 3:58am
Washed dishes when I was 16, that lasted two days I burned the phuc out of my hands.
Hauled sheetrock, Roofed houses, Worked in four or five bike shops. Those were cake.
The worst would have to be Legal Messenger. I’ve never been threatened so many times in my life.
Serving some guy divorce papers was fucking horrible. He would be thinking that I’m the guy boning his soon to be ex.
My last day was when I found the guy I had papers for hiding in a camp trailer behind his house.
If you have ever had a .45 stuck in your face then you’ll know why I didn’t give my two week’s notice.
tomm55x
2/6/2016 4:19am
Working in a chemical plant in Ashtabula Oh, having to go into ginormous chlorine tanks and jackhammer the floors and and haul out the block because it has to be replaced every so often, knowing that if your air tank or mask had a malfunction that death is the most possible outcome. Once inhaled that stuff in its airborne form will burn your lungs out literally and much like mold it will never leave your respiratory system. I didn't know the degree of what I was getting into until we got there the first day and I had to take safety tests before even walking through the door, I knew then that this was some serious stuff. I didn't make it long there although it was great money.
reded
2/6/2016 4:32am
While in college, a buddy and I worked for a guy who owned a small town hardware store. Since this county really had no codes he would send us out to do all sorts of plumbing and electrical work for people. I learned a lot about these trades since the owner was a certified electrician and taught us well but winter time was our worst fear.

It seemed like every stupid sonuvabitch who lived in a trailer park would end up with frozen/burst pipes. We would have to climb under the trailer which had been spraying water for who knows how many hours and crawl through the mud while trying to repair a broken line in the freezing cold. There were normally dead raccoons, possums, snakes, rats etc and usually smelled like hell under there. Crawling past dead animals in the mud while digging through wet insulation, looking for the burst line, on a zero degree day was no piece of cake.
2/6/2016 8:05am
Fixing vacuum cleaners and carpet cleaners for Sears during college. You can imagine what I smelled like going home everyday.

Post a reply to: Worst job you ever had?

The Latest