Wolves in Yellowstone

rosebud441
Edited Date/Time 1/7/2016 9:47am
Please put your guns down and watch this, pretty amazing!!
Thanks to those who watch..
|
mxb2
12/29/2015 9:01am
Awesome. Love wildlife.
Sandberm
12/29/2015 10:17am
So.....you have Yellowstone park where hunting by humans is NOT allowed. With nothing to hunt the deer and elk there numbers get out of hand. Thats pretty understandable. You introduce the wolf back to Yellowstone and the deer and elk have a predator eating/chasing them.

Now...you introduce the wolf to areas where hunting by humans IS allowed ( like Washington state for example) and they compete with humans for deer/elk. If the population of the wolves is allowed to increase there will be no need for humans to hunt deer/elk.

How does everybody feel about wolves taking the place of humans hunting deer/elk?
newmann
12/29/2015 10:22am
Saw that a while back, love me some animals.
newmann
12/29/2015 10:24am
Sandberm wrote:
So.....you have Yellowstone park where hunting by humans is NOT allowed. With nothing to hunt the deer and elk there numbers get out of hand. Thats...
So.....you have Yellowstone park where hunting by humans is NOT allowed. With nothing to hunt the deer and elk there numbers get out of hand. Thats pretty understandable. You introduce the wolf back to Yellowstone and the deer and elk have a predator eating/chasing them.

Now...you introduce the wolf to areas where hunting by humans IS allowed ( like Washington state for example) and they compete with humans for deer/elk. If the population of the wolves is allowed to increase there will be no need for humans to hunt deer/elk.

How does everybody feel about wolves taking the place of humans hunting deer/elk?

As long as the wolf council establishes a proper hunting season to manage things.Laughing

The Shop

MR. X
12/29/2015 10:29am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2015 10:31am
Sandberm wrote:
So.....you have Yellowstone park where hunting by humans is NOT allowed. With nothing to hunt the deer and elk there numbers get out of hand. Thats...

Without knowing exact scientific data ,your theory sounds plausible, however ,if you look at the money that is generated by sales of hunting licenses, the government would be losing out big time and would not be in favor eliminating hunting. Something is always gonna be at the top and get out of proportion though ,right now it's humans.

That was a really cool video ,thanks for posting it. We have a zoo in new York that has a wolf pack ,it's cool to howl at them and once one starts going they all join in ,good times.
mxb2
12/29/2015 11:01am
newmann wrote:
Saw that a while back, love me some animals.
X2
Dick Piano
12/29/2015 11:08am
In the food chain, the predators eat the old, sickly, injured, weak.
Mother nature isnt something to be fucked with and it all balances it out.

Wolves dont raid chicken coops when they have plenty of prey.
same for coyotes foxes etc.

Thanks for the vid. Good stuff
peelout
12/29/2015 11:10am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2015 11:10am
Sandberm wrote:

newmann wrote:
[i]How does everybody feel about wolves taking the place of humans hunting deer/elk?[/i] As long as the wolf council establishes a proper hunting season to manage...

As long as the wolf council establishes a proper hunting season to manage things.Laughing
wolves with guns? that's all we fucking need

scooter5002
12/29/2015 11:40am
While incredibly entertaining on the surface, and it is a good vid, if you take that at face value, you're fooling yourself
The wolves alone are not even remotely responsible for all those changes, but I'm certain they contributed. Just so many forces at work, impossible to say one direct change made all that happen.
rosebud441
12/29/2015 12:01pm
I think the biggest contribution the Wolves make is getting the dear and elk to quit acting like cows.. roaming around grazing without any predators has a negative impact on the surrounding environment..

Putting the top dog back in the equation gets shit back in balance, that's what i get from it...
Sandberm
12/29/2015 12:44pm
Reintroducing wolves to Washington state has been a big deal.

You see, they eat cattle, sheep etc. even when the yummy elk/deer are available. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has a Wolf Advisory board. They track wolves and keep track of the population and where the wolves go. They also dole out money to the ranchers who have loses due to the wolves and communicate and work with said ranchers to work out issues.

Hunters in this state are none too happy about the reintroduction of wolves. In fact, it is akin to introducing a child molester to the neighborhood. If Rosebud would have posted that vid on the local hunting message board with happy faces and ahh shux, arnt those wolves cute type of flowery language, he would have been tracked down and raped, killed, house burnt down, and all of his marijauna plants destroyed.

Guys, who have hunted the same spots for years with success, now go to those spots and find very little sign of deer/elk. At night when they crawl in their sleeping bags, they are serenaded by wolves howling. They are very bitter. Wolves are a hot button issue for sure in this state.
rosebud441
12/29/2015 12:55pm
yeah like i would hang out on an hunting forum.. Btw if i was being serenaded by wolves that would be the coolest fucking thing ever..

I like critters and would rather not shoot them, apparently you have a problem with that.

"If Rosebud would have posted that vid on the local hunting message board with happy faces and ahh shux, arnt those wolves cute type of flowery language, he would have been tracked down and raped, killed, house burnt down, and all of his marijauna plants destroyed."

boy, hunters sound like terrorists
MR. X
12/29/2015 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2015 1:24pm
A couple points to add ,a lot of hunters would enjoy that video just for the wild life shown . NYS is probably the hardest state to take a mature white tail deer , a lot of hunting pressure builds smart deer , a 2 year old NY buck is easially as smart or smarter then a 7 year old buck out west , basically the hunters being in the woods will change the deer patterns drastically during the hunting season. I have never researched either side of the impact the wolves have on nature so i can't honestly say.Not all hunters see animals and think " Now there is an animal who's heart i would like to stop beating" A lot of hunters go out to put meat in the freezer , if you would go to a hunting website ,you would see the latest trend is the discussion on whether or not antler restrictions is a good idea or not,you will get the guys that only shoot animals for their trophy status and the side that hunts animals for food.
Sandberm
12/29/2015 1:38pm
MR. X wrote:
A couple points to add ,a lot of hunters would enjoy that video just for the wild life shown . NYS is probably the hardest state...
A couple points to add ,a lot of hunters would enjoy that video just for the wild life shown . NYS is probably the hardest state to take a mature white tail deer , a lot of hunting pressure builds smart deer , a 2 year old NY buck is easially as smart or smarter then a 7 year old buck out west , basically the hunters being in the woods will change the deer patterns drastically during the hunting season. I have never researched either side of the impact the wolves have on nature so i can't honestly say.Not all hunters see animals and think " Now there is an animal who's heart i would like to stop beating" A lot of hunters go out to put meat in the freezer , if you would go to a hunting website ,you would see the latest trend is the discussion on whether or not antler restrictions is a good idea or not,you will get the guys that only shoot animals for their trophy status and the side that hunts animals for food.
Hunters and fishermen are some of the biggest advocates for the environment and keeping public land free, clean and in its natural state.

They understand the balance and often times will police their own.

BTW, I like the video. Natures awesome for sure. Nothings more peaceful then going out in nature, finding a nice place to sit still and watching life around you exist as if you are not there.Smile
MR. X
12/29/2015 1:56pm
Sandberm wrote:
Hunters and fishermen are some of the biggest advocates for the environment and keeping public land free, clean and in its natural state. They understand the...
Hunters and fishermen are some of the biggest advocates for the environment and keeping public land free, clean and in its natural state.

They understand the balance and often times will police their own.

BTW, I like the video. Natures awesome for sure. Nothings more peaceful then going out in nature, finding a nice place to sit still and watching life around you exist as if you are not there.Smile
Heck ya to that ,i've sat in the woods from sunrise to sunset many times without seeing any deer . Its actually really cool to see the occasional fox come along and watch them hunt field mice or watch crows dive bomb the limb rats.
peelout
12/29/2015 2:04pm
rosebud441 wrote:
yeah like i would hang out on an hunting forum.. Btw if i was being serenaded by wolves that would be the coolest fucking thing ever...
yeah like i would hang out on an hunting forum.. Btw if i was being serenaded by wolves that would be the coolest fucking thing ever..

I like critters and would rather not shoot them, apparently you have a problem with that.

"If Rosebud would have posted that vid on the local hunting message board with happy faces and ahh shux, arnt those wolves cute type of flowery language, he would have been tracked down and raped, killed, house burnt down, and all of his marijauna plants destroyed."

boy, hunters sound like terrorists
Btw if i was being serenaded by wolves that would be the coolest fucking thing ever..

well, now we all know you're full of shit. if you, me, or any one of us were in close enough distance to be "serenaded" by a pack of wolves then the safest place would be in your fucking truck heading the other direction. don't be silly bro, they're not big friendly dogs.

and wolves are very fucking detrimental to the state of the elk/deer/moose populations. look up the problems in Idaho and Montana for instance. often times they don't kill to eat, they kill for sport so to speak. they'll find a pregnant cow and eat if from the back side, kill the calf inside, and leave the mother to die. this shit is everywhere if you research it and it's becoming a bigger and bigger problem.

that said, the video was very cool and entertaining
rosebud441
12/29/2015 2:16pm
Well no shit... let me re-phrase that.. I would love to be serenaded by wolves from a safe distance.

Titan1
12/29/2015 3:08pm
I've been fascinated by wolves most of my life. I think they are amazing animals. My grandfather runs a medium sized mule deer/elk hunting ranch-6000 acres (not a high fence area...just 6000 acres of private ground in the mountains with plenty of mule deer and elk coming and going as they please). So I've been around hunters most of my life (most all of my family are big time big game hunters). I also don't personally like hunting (I'm not against hunting, I love eating what other people kill, I just don't like killing animals myself). I'm also from a cattle ranching family, where predators are a financial liability and are hated (bear, mountain lion, and wolves-if/when they are in Utah).

As far as I'm concerned hunters whining about wolves killing elk and deer is stupid. Hunting is nothing more than a hobby, and that's all it is...hunting isn't the sole source of food for these people. They hunt because they like hunting, not for survival. And if the only argument against wolves is that it makes it harder for someone to do their hobby, that's a weak argument (there are more important things that hobbies). Its so silly to me when I hear

If wolves can do what hunting does, its better to let the wolves do it (and modify the amount of humans allowed to hunt). And they should let less hunters have tags, and that isn't the end of the world (Utah already instituted a draw system even for the general deer rifle hunt...people who used to hunt every year, now can only hunt 2 out of 3 years or something-some people are still lucky enough to draw out every year-some how?). Life will go on.

The only reason wolves kill for "sport" is because there is to much game...meaning the balance of the ecosystem is out of wack...as wolves continue to do "over kill" the herds, the game numbers will drop such that the wolves will only be able to kill what they can eat, and they'll eat everything they kill...usually that pendulum swings far past the balance point, and there will first be an under supply of game, which will result in starving wolves and the wolf population will die off, then the game numbers will rebound, followed by the wolf numbers...the balance is always in motion.

With that said, humans are still the top dog...any wolf found harming a humans livelihood (killing livestock) risks being killed the same way a coyote would risk being killed if it was trying to eat a wolves livelihood (one of the packs kills). It's just the way it is, and the way it should be. I believe farmers and ranchers-and their designated representatives: whomever is managing their herd-should be given free reign to shoot and kill any predator they see on their property...with the restriction being they have to leave it where they killed (no taking it to a taxidermist and mounting it) and report the kill to the DWR.

That's my opinion on it anyway.
MR. X
12/29/2015 3:27pm
https://youtu.be/Fb11TtPwBxo

Did you guys ever see this video of the lady reunited with this wolf pack ? I think maybe she raised them to be released in the wild and then went back to visit them.
Titan1
12/29/2015 4:08pm
MR. X wrote:
https://youtu.be/Fb11TtPwBxo Did you guys ever see this video of the lady reunited with this wolf pack ? I think maybe she raised them to be released...
https://youtu.be/Fb11TtPwBxo

Did you guys ever see this video of the lady reunited with this wolf pack ? I think maybe she raised them to be released in the wild and then went back to visit them.
Judging by those fences in the background, I'm not sure those were released into the wild...
MR. X
12/29/2015 4:27pm
Thats possible,i can't remember the entire backstory.
12/30/2015 7:59am
Men and wolves have been hunting the same areas for thousands and thousands of years. More recently we have put wildlife in a situation where they need to be managed due to development. Habitat loss has created islands of wildlife where resources are limited and predators like mtn lions and wolves need to managed. Biologists should be making these decisions not politicians. Another thing to consider is in areas where wolves are introduced elk and deer need to adapt and the learning curve means lower numbers. Good hunters will adapt as well and still fill their tags.
Sandberm
12/30/2015 3:12pm
Ok whatever Dick Plano...

All I know is the bears were shitting Timothy Treadwell for a week.
Dick Piano
12/30/2015 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 3:33pm
Sandberm wrote:

A borderline Nut, fucking with the wildlife. I get what he was doing, but he even said a million times, if he gets too close or does the wrong thing, he's a deadman.

They put up with that guy A LOT of years. It's not like they just saw a human and went on the attack.

If that were the case, Whats up with these guys?

These bears sure look like they want to kill some humans. You know, because that's what they do to city folk. SMH

Titan1
12/30/2015 3:38pm
Sandberm wrote:

Dick Piano wrote:
A borderline Nut, fucking with the wildlife. I get what he was doing, but he even said a million times, if he gets too close or...
A borderline Nut, fucking with the wildlife. I get what he was doing, but he even said a million times, if he gets too close or does the wrong thing, he's a deadman.

They put up with that guy A LOT of years. It's not like they just saw a human and went on the attack.

These bears sure look like they want to kill some humans. You know, because that's what they do to city folk. SMH

Those same bears, hungry, wouldn't be ignoring those men.

Those bears don't care about the humans because their tummies are full.

Hungry animals will attack and eat a human, and sometimes animals incorporate humans as part of the regular diet. It happens...you can't deny that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-eater
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/30/2015 3:44pm
Dick Piano wrote:
A borderline Nut, fucking with the wildlife. I get what he was doing, but he even said a million times, if he gets too close or...

I guess you didn't know Mark Reynolds. He was attacked and killed by a mountain lion here in So. Cal. He was also Tim Ferry's agent at the time.
scooter5002
12/30/2015 5:58pm
MR. X wrote:
A couple points to add ,a lot of hunters would enjoy that video just for the wild life shown . NYS is probably the hardest state...
Clearly, you're using the wrong weapon to hunt with. Take up hunting with a Pete or a Freightliner hood, and your kill count will skyrocket. They be jus' jumping out in front of you. Literally.
MR. X
12/30/2015 9:32pm
MR. X wrote:
Clearly, you're using the wrong weapon to hunt with. Take up hunting with a Pete or a Freightliner hood, and your kill count will skyrocket. They...
Clearly, you're using the wrong weapon to hunt with. Take up hunting with a Pete or a Freightliner hood, and your kill count will skyrocket. They be jus' jumping out in front of you. Literally.
I've seen the aftermath to that law of physics before. There is barely enough deer left for even a snack,and thats including if you get a straw and drink the wet spot off the road.

Post a reply to: Wolves in Yellowstone

The Latest