Winter MTB'ing

71Fish
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 11:18pm
I don't know why I always park my mtb when winter comes. My dog loves the snow so I took her on a little hike yesterday. Snow was deep but it was carved and slightly packed when the trail is. Saw a couple of fat bikes gliding over the snow, and a guy on a regular mtb, having more trouble but still getting it done.

I guess there is no point to this thread other than to say I'm going for a ride Friday. Anyone else riding in the snow?

|
peelout
1/19/2016 2:50pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2016 2:53pm
71Fish wrote:
I don't know why I always park my mtb when winter comes. My dog loves the snow so I took her on a little hike yesterday...
I don't know why I always park my mtb when winter comes. My dog loves the snow so I took her on a little hike yesterday. Snow was deep but it was carved and slightly packed when the trail is. Saw a couple of fat bikes gliding over the snow, and a guy on a regular mtb, having more trouble but still getting it done.

I guess there is no point to this thread other than to say I'm going for a ride Friday. Anyone else riding in the snow?

i rode shoreline last week and it was more work than reward, i'll wait until better weather or head south. the parkway is good this time of year though, as long as you're ok with the dog around people.

i've heard fat-bikes are fun this time of year.

oh... also, supposed to snow tonight and all day tomorrow. so good luck riding Friday, but if you do, reply in here and let me know what you thought
Sandberm
1/19/2016 2:50pm
I went a couple times in the winter, in snow, in the dark at our local little riding area that winds its way through russian olive trees.

Fun, but spooky as the riding area is kind of in town and I was woried I might have a tweeker or weird dude jump out at me.
rosebud441
1/19/2016 3:17pm
We have been maintaining our weekly Wednesday ride, but now its in the dark... (starting to dig night riding) But we're sticking to lower elevation xc trails, (no DH in the dark) ice and snow has thawed and now its good old NW snot but stuff in the canopy of trees still good..

And yes Sandy it IS spooky in the dark.. that's why its fun right? in fact one of the few night rides i rode alone, (my crew skipped it and i said " i can do this" , And i was spooked the entire ride, kept thinking of wolves Shocked

motogeezer
1/19/2016 3:21pm
I've ridden in the snow a few times up in the local mountains and in Utah.

Wasn't too bad, but this is my winter riding if I stay local:

The Shop

1/19/2016 4:28pm
Hell yeah!!! Been snow riding for 15 years or more. You really don't need a fat bike but a 29er is better than a 26" wheel bike. Run as wide a tire as possible. My rigid, single speed 29er was probably the best. The harder packed the snow is the better the riding will be. Proper dress is obviously very important. General rule of is if you're cold in the parking area you'll be warm on the ride. Unfortunately without a fat bike you're not going too well in any more than 6 inches of snow unless it's packed real well by a snowmobile or other.
71Fish
1/19/2016 5:10pm
71Fish wrote:
I don't know why I always park my mtb when winter comes. My dog loves the snow so I took her on a little hike yesterday...

peelout wrote:
i rode shoreline last week and it was more work than reward, i'll wait until better weather or head south. the parkway is good this time...
i rode shoreline last week and it was more work than reward, i'll wait until better weather or head south. the parkway is good this time of year though, as long as you're ok with the dog around people.

i've heard fat-bikes are fun this time of year.

oh... also, supposed to snow tonight and all day tomorrow. so good luck riding Friday, but if you do, reply in here and let me know what you thought
We were up at Wheeler. That's where we'll go Friday if I decide to ride.

Our usual stop near the creek to fetch sticks.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/20/2016 3:02pm
Yeah, I still ride every weekend. On the colder days I have to wear two shirts! Tongue

Geezer, is that Chino Hills State park? I ride there now and then.
motogeezer
1/20/2016 3:21pm
Falcon wrote:
Yeah, I still ride every weekend. On the colder days I have to wear two shirts! :P Geezer, is that Chino Hills State park? I ride...
Yeah, I still ride every weekend. On the colder days I have to wear two shirts! Tongue

Geezer, is that Chino Hills State park? I ride there now and then.
Yep, that's Chino Hills.

The pic is from last Mother's day.

It's brownish right now, but it will look just like that soon.

Wife and I did a hangover hike out there with the dog on New Year's Day and saw some still green areas down in Telegraph Canyon.

Olson
1/20/2016 4:22pm
Thinking about a fat tire bike but can't justify the cost of such a one sided thing. Will try to save up for a new 29" mtb and an extra set of wider wheels for next winter. Can't wait to start riding againg. Currently -4°F over here and a couple of ft snow.
peelout
1/20/2016 4:29pm
Olson wrote:
Thinking about a fat tire bike but can't justify the cost of such a one sided thing. Will try to save up for a new 29"...
Thinking about a fat tire bike but can't justify the cost of such a one sided thing. Will try to save up for a new 29" mtb and an extra set of wider wheels for next winter. Can't wait to start riding againg. Currently -4°F over here and a couple of ft snow.
i always said the same thing and still think it, but i bought a snowmobile that i can only ride 4 months out of the year so for me to make that argument is quite ridiculous lol

a lot of dudes around here switched to fat-bikes for their main bike even in the warm months. just a totally different style of riding and a whole new challenge. i'd like to try one out.
71Fish
1/20/2016 5:22pm
Olson wrote:
Thinking about a fat tire bike but can't justify the cost of such a one sided thing. Will try to save up for a new 29"...
Check out the Framed bike brand. They are out of MN. They are supposed to have a design that allows you to switch between fat rims and 29" rims.
Olson
1/21/2016 1:42am
Olson wrote:
peelout wrote:
i always said the same thing and still think it, but i bought a snowmobile that i can only ride 4 months out of the year...
i always said the same thing and still think it, but i bought a snowmobile that i can only ride 4 months out of the year so for me to make that argument is quite ridiculous lol

a lot of dudes around here switched to fat-bikes for their main bike even in the warm months. just a totally different style of riding and a whole new challenge. i'd like to try one out.
Haha, fair point.

A lot of people ride the fat tires year around here too. Allows you to go off track a lot more. They're fun to ride. But if you want a year round fat tire bike they're pretty expensive. My thought was to get one without suspension just for snow trails. They're some what affordable. I know about a guy working on a fat tire conversion for the Lefty. Can be interesting.
rubarb
1/21/2016 1:44pm
Did you hear about those kids that had their mountain bikes taken from them at Mission Hills in San Diego?
motogeezer
1/21/2016 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 3:46pm
rubarb wrote:
Did you hear about those kids that had their mountain bikes taken from them at Mission Hills in San Diego?
I heard the Marines at Miramar have confiscated 45 bikes from trespassers on the base.

Glad that shit wasn't happening when we used to sneak on to Pendleton with our dirt bikes.

rubarb
1/21/2016 3:47pm
Yep that's it
TailSoHard
1/22/2016 8:07am
Buy a fat rigid fork and front wheel and slap it on your 29er. It won't work quite as well as an actual fat bike, but you'll get the jist. That way you can see what the fuss is about without spending $1000 on a new bike.
hvaughn88
1/22/2016 8:14am
TailSoHard wrote:
Buy a fat rigid fork and front wheel and slap it on your 29er. It won't work quite as well as an actual fat bike, but...
Buy a fat rigid fork and front wheel and slap it on your 29er. It won't work quite as well as an actual fat bike, but you'll get the jist. That way you can see what the fuss is about without spending $1000 on a new bike.
Any issues with proximity to the down tube and/or the cranks when you do that?
TailSoHard
1/22/2016 8:25am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 8:28am
TailSoHard wrote:
Buy a fat rigid fork and front wheel and slap it on your 29er. It won't work quite as well as an actual fat bike, but...
hvaughn88 wrote:
Any issues with proximity to the down tube and/or the cranks when you do that?
Usually no. The only reason I can think of would be if you have a really small frame (toe clearance while turning), or if you get the wrong Axle-To-Crown length on the fork. Most new forks are coming with more room above the top of the tire since suspension fat forks are becoming more popular. If you go from a suspension 29er fork to a rigid fat fork, you'll lower the front end of the bike too much if you don't get the proper length fork. When buying a rigid fork, just look to see if it's "suspension corrected" or not. Suspension corrected rigid forks keep the geometry the same as it would be with a suspension fork so as to not steepen your headtube angle too much.

You should be able to look up the a-to-c on your current fork to make sure you match it up with the right replacement.

Luckily you can find decent steel rigid forks for around $100, so it's not too big of a commitment
Shiftfaced
1/22/2016 11:24am
Olson wrote:
I bought a Salsa Bucksaw. While it does have 4" tires, it is really just a trailbike. Yeah, it will ride the sand and snow, but it is a kick-ass bike all summer long.

Downhill, it rides like a moto. I don't worry about ruts; rocks; or any of that other bullshit. Point where I want to go, and plow through everything. I would bet that my downhill speeds have increased by 10-15%. I pass people like they are not even moving....

Shiftfaced
1/22/2016 11:34am
TailSoHard wrote:
Usually no. The only reason I can think of would be if you have a really small frame (toe clearance while turning), or if you get...
Usually no. The only reason I can think of would be if you have a really small frame (toe clearance while turning), or if you get the wrong Axle-To-Crown length on the fork. Most new forks are coming with more room above the top of the tire since suspension fat forks are becoming more popular. If you go from a suspension 29er fork to a rigid fat fork, you'll lower the front end of the bike too much if you don't get the proper length fork. When buying a rigid fork, just look to see if it's "suspension corrected" or not. Suspension corrected rigid forks keep the geometry the same as it would be with a suspension fork so as to not steepen your headtube angle too much.

You should be able to look up the a-to-c on your current fork to make sure you match it up with the right replacement.

Luckily you can find decent steel rigid forks for around $100, so it's not too big of a commitment
I bet that will work pretty well.

I was re-calibrating my bicycle odometer/speedometers a week or so ago, and rolled both my 29'er and fatbike wheels one revolution, and measured in MM's. They less than 1 CM different! Though the fatbike wheel is a 26'er, the outside diameter was unbelievably close to that of the 29'er.

If the 29'er wheel is not striking the toes while turning, I don't think a fatbike front-end conversion will either.
TailSoHard
1/22/2016 11:53am
Jeff Jones has been building b-e-a-utiful titanium half-fat frames for years. Even before the Pugsleys caught on. Absolute works of art. Some people say they're ugly, but I drool over them all the time

hvaughn88
1/22/2016 11:59am
TailSoHard wrote:
Jeff Jones has been building b-e-a-utiful titanium half-fat frames for years. Even before the Pugsleys caught on. Absolute works of art. Some people say they're ugly...
Jeff Jones has been building b-e-a-utiful titanium half-fat frames for years. Even before the Pugsleys caught on. Absolute works of art. Some people say they're ugly, but I drool over them all the time

I have some friends that swear by the mustache bars. I know I'm being shallow, but the looks keep me from pulling the trigger on them. I hear great things about them though
TailSoHard
1/22/2016 12:04pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I have some friends that swear by the mustache bars. I know I'm being shallow, but the looks keep me from pulling the trigger on them...
I have some friends that swear by the mustache bars. I know I'm being shallow, but the looks keep me from pulling the trigger on them. I hear great things about them though
I don't think I would like them on anything other than a touring/bikepacking bike. I've tried them on a Salsa Fargo and really liked it for mashing gravel roads, but when riding any kind of technical trails I can't do without my Renthals Grinning
JRT812
1/22/2016 11:18pm
TailSoHard wrote:
Jeff Jones has been building b-e-a-utiful titanium half-fat frames for years. Even before the Pugsleys caught on. Absolute works of art. Some people say they're ugly...

Wow that is beautiful! I rode a fatty the other day from the lbs and it was ok, but not my thing. Although, I am interested in anything TI.

Post a reply to: Winter MTB'ing

The Latest