Windows 7

jasonv43
Edited Date/Time 3/31/2014 2:35pm
So I have an older computer with Windows XP on it and I would like to purchase Windows 7 instead of 8. Do you guys have any recommendations on where to go and what version I should get. I see some on Amazon for about $100 but then I also see a (Full) version for much more. Can I trust that the $100 one is going to be good enough?

Thanks,
|
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
3/4/2014 11:21am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2014 11:58am
If you have an older comp...
Then a small linux system is the way to go for a OS that will run fast.
I would recommend a small OS like PuppyLinux.
It's free and so is the majority of linux software - like programs ect.. It's mostly all open source.
You can use firefox and most all plugins ect... Surfing should be the same if that's what you mostly do.

Then if you need to use windows at times.
Just instal Virtual Box / Virtual Machine.
Then download a free version of windows 7 Pro (32 bit) and run it under VM.

Dont like that idea?

Another option.
Then just find a version of windows 7 Pro (32 or 64) online and burn it to a dvd and instal it and and use it free for 30 days.
If you like it - then just register it and keep using it.
Also - Check your PM's/Email.
3/4/2014 11:40am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2014 11:45am
I investigated this last year when I built a new PC from scratch. As I understand it you can't use an OEM version of windows 7 (example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-software-intended-builders/dp…) to upgrade from an existing OS like Windows XP. Instead you'll need either an upgrade key or you'll have buy the full windows 7 version. If you have the processor I also recommend going for a 64 bit version - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1T…

Because I built from nothing I had to buy a physical disc but I believe that you can upgrade directly through your desktop - look in My Computer - System properties (around that area) and it should give you an option to pay and and start downloading without having to wait for a disc.
jasonv43
3/4/2014 9:03pm
FastEddy wrote:
If you have an older comp... Then a small linux system is the way to go for a OS that will run fast. I would recommend...
If you have an older comp...
Then a small linux system is the way to go for a OS that will run fast.
I would recommend a small OS like PuppyLinux.
It's free and so is the majority of linux software - like programs ect.. It's mostly all open source.
You can use firefox and most all plugins ect... Surfing should be the same if that's what you mostly do.

Then if you need to use windows at times.
Just instal Virtual Box / Virtual Machine.
Then download a free version of windows 7 Pro (32 bit) and run it under VM.

Dont like that idea?

Another option.
Then just find a version of windows 7 Pro (32 or 64) online and burn it to a dvd and instal it and and use it free for 30 days.
If you like it - then just register it and keep using it.
Also - Check your PM's/Email.
Thanks man. Got your email too, I'll check that out. Basically I have an older computer that I am giving to my parents. I would like to put Windows 7 on it for them (staying away from Windows 8) and just want to make sure I don't spend too much money doing it.

Does it matter if it's a 32bit or a 64bit?
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
3/5/2014 8:20am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2014 8:21am
jasonv43 wrote:
Thanks man. Got your email too, I'll check that out. Basically I have an older computer that I am giving to my parents. I would like...
Thanks man. Got your email too, I'll check that out. Basically I have an older computer that I am giving to my parents. I would like to put Windows 7 on it for them (staying away from Windows 8) and just want to make sure I don't spend too much money doing it.

Does it matter if it's a 32bit or a 64bit?
Yes performance can matter and 64 can run much slower on a slower processor - like freezing up ect...
If the version of windows that's on it now is 64 bit - then just stick with 64.
If it's 32 bit,then stick with 32 bit.

The Shop

The Rock
3/5/2014 9:04am
Google's Chrome PC type device at 250 ish is a nice option for casual users too. My 82 year old mom loves her new ipad and she has no PC knowledge only using Web TV for 14 years until they shut down the service last September.
jasonv43
3/7/2014 10:21pm
Hey thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.
the_wood109
3/7/2014 10:37pm
If the machine came with windows xp, just keep it the same. Do a fresh install of XP and give them the machine.

If you're really set on upgrading to windows 7, run the upgrade advisor. I'm willing to bet the machine will have issues with vista/7/8/8.1 because you wouldn't be asking for advice if you actually built the machine or knew much about computer hardware/software. Here is the advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

There are some pretty good distros for Linux...Ubuntu is very user friendly these days, but for parents or older people that might be used to a certain systems... it might be too much of a learning curve. Honestly it depends on their intelligence and level of technical competency.

"Manufacturers" such as in HP, Dell, or emachines want you to just buy a new computer. Therefore they don't typically release updated driver software for legacy machines. Now, the actual hardware within the machine might have an updated driver set, but it takes some basic skill and effort to track them down and get them properly installed. You see, these manufacturers just put the parts together, they don't actually manufacture the parts (CPU, RAM, Motherboard, VGA)
peelout
3/10/2014 2:43pm
if you're thinking about getting windows 8, follow the steps:

1 - punch yourself in the dick
2 - go to the store and buy a laptop or desktop with Windows 7
3 - get Mrs.JasonV to make you a sandwich
4 - ???
5 - profit
jasonv43
3/30/2014 7:12pm
peelout wrote:
if you're thinking about getting windows 8, follow the steps: 1 - punch yourself in the dick 2 - go to the store and buy a...
if you're thinking about getting windows 8, follow the steps:

1 - punch yourself in the dick
2 - go to the store and buy a laptop or desktop with Windows 7
3 - get Mrs.JasonV to make you a sandwich
4 - ???
5 - profit
Haha. Good advice Peely.
scooter5002
3/30/2014 7:21pm
Was reading on the net today that sales of Windows 8 has flatlined since December, and people are refusing to upgrade from XP. The situation is bad enough apparently, that some experts feel Microsoft will have no choice but to continue to support XP, because people will continue to use it without it being supported. That will open the door to hackers getting in, and ruining Microsoft's rep in the process. We had 8 for a while on the new PC, and the wife HATED it so badly, she took it back and got 7 installed. She works on a computer all day in an office, so it's not like she's a neophile on this. I never even saw it, just paid for the new PC and flew back out west to work. Heard about it for a week on the phone, then poof. Buh bye Windows 8. Lol
level
3/30/2014 7:21pm
haha. Yeah, windows 8 is a complete joke. It's the worst operating system ever to be made. It's kind of sad actually. I hate it so much. You honestly can't get much better than a mac but if you prefer Windows then Windows 7 is probably there best one. I don't have experience with Linux but it's not for your everyday joe.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
3/30/2014 8:43pm
I haven't messed with it for a few years but even when they went to vista there were problems. Vista wouldn't drive a lot of Industrial machinery, CNC routers, lazers, plotters ect. To my understanding that is still a problem and nothing has changed. I know all the machinery I ever had to drive will only work with XP.
skid mark
3/30/2014 9:03pm
For those that went with 8, then 8.1, what does it take to change to 7 without losing info and programs?
Thanks from a sucker
scooter5002
3/30/2014 9:09pm
Seems to me the wife said she took the PC back where we bought it, and put everything into a file, took 8 out, put 7 in and put all our files back in. I think.
NP301
3/31/2014 2:35pm
I have windows 7 Ultimate. I had windows 8, but actually bought windows 7 again because 8 was that bad.

Post a reply to: Windows 7

The Latest