Why Do Many Reasonable People Doubt Science?

Sandberm
Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 7:23pm
Interesting read from National Geographic.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/achenbach-text

A few nuggets

"...Even for scientists, the scientific method is a hard discipline. Like the rest of us, they’re vulnerable to what they call confirmation bias—the tendency to look for and see only evidence that confirms what they already believe...."

"...Sometimes scientists fall short of the ideals of the scientific method. Especially in biomedical research, there’s a disturbing trend toward results that can’t be reproduced outside the lab that found them..."

This is my favorite

"...Science appeals to our rational brain, but our beliefs are motivated largely by emotion, and the biggest motivation is remaining tight with our peers. “We’re all in high school. We’ve never left high school,” says Marcia McNutt. “People still have a need to fit in, and that need to fit in is so strong that local values and local opinions are always trumping science. And they will continue to trump science, especially when there is no clear downside to ignoring science.”..."
|
hvaughn88
2/18/2015 6:02am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 6:02am
I don't think they most reasonable doubt science. Biological science, alone? Perhaps. But there are all kinds of other sciences, such as social sciences, that are adhered to so strictly that it's shocking sometimes. The last excerpt, that you stated was actually your favorite, is an example of that.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
2/18/2015 6:10am
Why do people think just because they use the word "science" that the information is factual?
When they were showering people with DDT they said "science has proven this is safe". When they approved
GMO corn, they said "science has proven this is safe"
I gave you 2 examples because surely with just one example you wouldn't believe the "common sense"
TMWink
Atmos
2/18/2015 6:27am
Why? Because it's been politicized.

The Shop

Sandberm
2/18/2015 6:50am
I think there is sometimes(a lot of times?) a profit motive behind scientific research and thats where a lot of peoples skepticism comes from nowadays in regards to science.

If the research points in a certain direction a lot of product can be sold. Like drugs for instance.
borg
2/18/2015 6:52am
One of the examples the article cites is climate change. I'm sorry but the data has been fucked with. I can accept truth and facts but I'm not going to follow Al Gore into a cave and eat berries based on what climate change "scientists" have come up with so far. Like Atmos said it's been politicized now but I would be considered a science denier by the author of that article. Don't use movies as evidence and don't lump climate change skeptics in with moon landing foil heads and maybe I will give your article some serious consideration.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/18/2015 7:00am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 7:03am
I don't believe science because most scientific studies are wrong, and they are wrong because scientists are interested in funding and careers rather than truth. Science is a theory that changes when someone needs it to, to prove their agenda or when they find out their scientific facts are wrong.

Global warming, climate change.
Evolution, creationism.
Egg yokes are bad, egg whites are good.
Science proves GMOs are good, science proves GMOs bad

I could go on, but I think you get the gist. My personal belief is that you're not to bright if you buy into the theory that science is right when in fact it's been proven wrong more often.
Atmos
2/18/2015 7:02am
Uptite, Which sciences have been "proven wrong more often"?
Sandberm
2/18/2015 7:06am
Just to clarify.

My thread title was just an introduction to the article and to provoke a good discussion. I wasnt trying to convey the message that I believe everything scientists say.
borg
2/18/2015 7:10am
Sandberm wrote:
Just to clarify. My thread title was just an introduction to the article and to provoke a good discussion. I wasnt trying to convey the message...
Just to clarify.

My thread title was just an introduction to the article and to provoke a good discussion. I wasnt trying to convey the message that I believe everything scientists say.
Don't use movies as evidence and don't lump climate change skeptics in with moon landing foil heads and maybe I will give your article some serious consideration.

Also to clarify, that was not meant for you. It was for the author of the article you posted.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/18/2015 7:27am
Atmos wrote:
A better question would be, what has it proven factually right?
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
2/18/2015 7:36am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 7:44am
Atmos wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
Nevermind, I don't give a shit...
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/18/2015 7:49am
Atmos wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
disbanded wrote:
You must or you wouldn't have taken the time to post.
Atmos
2/18/2015 7:55am
Well, for starters, science helped map the human DNA.
Science has landed men on the moon.
Science has made the internet possible.
Science has shown how evolutionary processes work.
Science has made it possible for us to see remote planets and stars.

Need I continue?
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
2/18/2015 7:55am
UpTiTe wrote:
disbanded wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
You must or you wouldn't have taken the time to post.
Honestly, for a second I felt like arguing, and then a minute later I didn't.
XXVoid MainXX
2/18/2015 8:02am
Atmos wrote:
Well, for starters, science helped map the human DNA. Science has landed men on the moon. Science has made the internet possible. Science has shown how...

Need I continue?
So scientists created the Internet? I thought Al Gore created the Internet?
2/18/2015 8:05am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 8:05am
That's an awesome article. Maybe I'm being biased though because I have had theories like that for a while. Wink

I don't think people actually follow the dietary guidelines very good but there is an obesity epidemic going on and people still think meat is the devil and diet soda is healthy because it doesn't have any calories in it. I still get weird looks from obese people when I eat a lot of meat and veggies and they say aren't you worried about all that salt and cholesterol? But then they eat a sandwich and drink a juice with more sugar in them than I eat in a day.
2/18/2015 8:35am
UpTiTe wrote:
I don't believe science because most scientific studies are wrong, and they are wrong because scientists are interested in funding and careers rather than truth. Science...
I don't believe science because most scientific studies are wrong, and they are wrong because scientists are interested in funding and careers rather than truth. Science is a theory that changes when someone needs it to, to prove their agenda or when they find out their scientific facts are wrong.

Evolution, creationism.

I could go on, but I think you get the gist. My personal belief is that you're not to bright if you buy into the theory that science is right when in fact it's been proven wrong more often.
Dude, how idiotic. Science isn't perfect, but what is the alternative- walking around with the Bible or Koran to explain things?

You walk around thinking the Earth is flat because you don't believe science or what?
Is there room in your world for some sort of compromise in which you interpret various scientific theories based on the evidence, or is it just black and white for you and science is always wrong. Blink
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/18/2015 8:51am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 8:55am
Atmos wrote:
Well, for starters, science helped map the human DNA. Science has landed men on the moon. Science has made the internet possible. Science has shown how...

Need I continue?
So theories landed us on the moon, made the internet and shown us remote planets?

More engineers worked for NASA then scientist.

Science made the internet possible? Maybe you should make youserlf familiar with Robert Kahn, Mike Wingfield, Paul Baran, Donald Davies and Leonard Kleinrock, the men most responsible for the internet, not one scientist in the group.

Your last one is laughable, an eye glass maker and a bored lawyer had more to do with it then any scientist.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/18/2015 8:54am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 8:54am
UpTiTe wrote:
I don't believe science because most scientific studies are wrong, and they are wrong because scientists are interested in funding and careers rather than truth. Science...

Evolution, creationism.

Dude, how idiotic. Science isn't perfect, but what is the alternative- walking around with the Bible or Koran to explain things? You walk around thinking the...
Dude, how idiotic. Science isn't perfect, but what is the alternative- walking around with the Bible or Koran to explain things?

You walk around thinking the Earth is flat because you don't believe science or what?
Is there room in your world for some sort of compromise in which you interpret various scientific theories based on the evidence, or is it just black and white for you and science is always wrong. Blink
I didn't mention the bible or the Quran once, nor did I say science was always wrong. I said it has been proven wrong more then it has been proven right, and most of the results are agenda based, simple really.

CR250Rider
2/18/2015 9:01am
Massive Tampering With Temperatures In South America
JANUARY 20, 2015

raw data:

"Adjusted" data..

ClimateGate?
APLMAN99
2/18/2015 9:05am
To answer the thread title, my belief is that there are two main reasons.

The first is a general lack of understanding at a high level, which would include most folks who don't devote their life's work to a specific field of discovery. Some of us (most?) believe that reading an article in a magazine gives us an equal knowledge level as a PhD who's studied a subject their entire adult lives.

The second is that people (generally) are naturally inclined to resist things that make them uncomfortable or that they don't like. When a study comes out that someone doesn't like, the evidence isn't considered if it isn't simpatico with someone's views. It's definitely akin to confirmation bias, but it's even deeper than that.
APLMAN99
2/18/2015 9:14am
CR250Rider wrote:
Massive Tampering With Temperatures In South America JANUARY 20, 2015 raw data: [img]https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03175/Booker-graph-2_3175679a.jpg[/img] "Adjusted" data.. [img]https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03175/Booker-puerto_3175673a.jpg[/img] [url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11367272/Climategate-the-sequel-How-we-are-STILL-being-tricked-with-flawed-data-on-global-warming.html]ClimateGate?[/url]
Massive Tampering With Temperatures In South America
JANUARY 20, 2015

raw data:

"Adjusted" data..

ClimateGate?
Coolest thing about that is how they shifted the y axis down a bit to give the impression that the graph of raw temps is lower.....

Obviously manipulating perception, knowing that most people wouldn't look at the scale but simply look at the position of the data points in the field and assume that the graphs could be overlaid on each other.
Atmos
2/18/2015 9:22am
Uptite, those engineers you mentioned used, you guessed it, science!
Funny how that works.
APLMAN99
2/18/2015 9:43am
Atmos wrote:
Funny how that works.
Wait, are you implying that engineers use physics and mathematics to create useful things? Seriously?

Cool
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/18/2015 9:59am
Atmos wrote:
Funny how that works.
APLMAN99 wrote:
Wait, are you implying that engineers use physics and mathematics to create useful things? Seriously?

Cool
Missed the point I was trying to make didn't you?
71Fish
2/18/2015 10:10am
Atmos wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
This whole notion of "settled science" really got me this past campaign season. I'm no more a scientist than the folks saying settled science, and even I know that no science is settled. If it was, why are we studying sciency things all the damn time?
APLMAN99
2/18/2015 10:13am
Atmos wrote:
Funny how that works.
APLMAN99 wrote:

Cool
UpTiTe wrote:
Missed the point I was trying to make didn't you?
Depends on what point you were trying to make, I suppose. How about you attempt to clarify how the number of engineers working at NASA relates to science not being the cornerstone for how they built the machinery needed to reach space. That'd be swell.

Tpog496
2/18/2015 11:19am
Yea science BITCH! This is interesting to say the least. My friend the other day was saying how he doesn't believe in evolution. I'm like dude its a proven fact that evolution is a real thing, I wasn't saying that we came from monkeys or anything but things evolve and adapt over time. He just wasn't having it.

Post a reply to: Why Do Many Reasonable People Doubt Science?

The Latest