Who's got a moto van?

bash3r
7/8/2013 2:38pm
Hey ridge, how'd the standard length vans work out? Looks like you have a few non-extended vans there!!
ridge
7/8/2013 3:12pm
bash3r wrote:
Hey ridge, how'd the standard length vans work out? Looks like you have a few non-extended vans there!!
It works well. 3 bikes and gear, no problem. Plus, you can have a bed/bench seat in front of the bikes. I made a sleeper with a bunch of storage room underneath. My goal was to be able to have everything I needed for racing and still be able to unload the bikes with unloading anything else, except the stands.

This was in the middle of a 6 week trip...so I was packed pretty full.

After my friend bought that sweet van he got hit, so he lifted it pretty high.

brocster
7/8/2013 3:15pm
bash3r wrote:
MotoVans are awesome... I'm looking into one for the family.. two young boys riding now.. I need to haul one full size bike and two smaller...
MotoVans are awesome... I'm looking into one for the family.. two young boys riding now.. I need to haul one full size bike and two smaller ones.. it will be a while until my boys ride a big bike.. I need to have a second seat for my boys too, so is it possible or does anyone have photos of their standard length van with a bench seat and bikes in the back?

I'd like to put a wall up behind the second bench to keep the A/C in and gas fumes out.. but haven't seen this setup with a standard length van yet.. see them with extended but extendeds are hard to find!!

Thanks for the help... I'd like to snag a standard at least until my boys are older but don't want to regret it off the bat!

Basher
Mine is a standard length GMC 2500 12 passenger with the second seat in it's factory rails. My KX450F fits perfectly straight using a little chock on the bottom of the seat rails with about 1" to spare. Putting a wall would be splitting hairs being all the way up against the seat. I have mine a little off center so the rear fender fits where the indention for the rear window is.

The Shop

bash3r
7/8/2013 6:40pm
bash3r wrote:
MotoVans are awesome... I'm looking into one for the family.. two young boys riding now.. I need to haul one full size bike and two smaller...
MotoVans are awesome... I'm looking into one for the family.. two young boys riding now.. I need to haul one full size bike and two smaller ones.. it will be a while until my boys ride a big bike.. I need to have a second seat for my boys too, so is it possible or does anyone have photos of their standard length van with a bench seat and bikes in the back?

I'd like to put a wall up behind the second bench to keep the A/C in and gas fumes out.. but haven't seen this setup with a standard length van yet.. see them with extended but extendeds are hard to find!!

Thanks for the help... I'd like to snag a standard at least until my boys are older but don't want to regret it off the bat!

Basher
brocster wrote:
Mine is a standard length GMC 2500 12 passenger with the second seat in it's factory rails. My KX450F fits perfectly straight using a little chock...
Mine is a standard length GMC 2500 12 passenger with the second seat in it's factory rails. My KX450F fits perfectly straight using a little chock on the bottom of the seat rails with about 1" to spare. Putting a wall would be splitting hairs being all the way up against the seat. I have mine a little off center so the rear fender fits where the indention for the rear window is.
Do you have any photos you could share?? I'm leaning to a Express 2500 standard length... But would love to see more photos... And real measurements hahaha! Thanks!,
Jack mehoff
7/8/2013 8:24pm
I wish the fords where a little higher , I have fleet vans and have / had them all the best ones are ford 5.4 litter gas motors get a extended cargo. if you change the oil you will get 350 k + out off them the only two week spots on them is the alt and the twin I beam in the front , with the twin I beam get moog ball joints and any other part you can with a grease fitting , those vans are pretty cheap , 2nd would be if you can find a 7. 3 litter ford pre 2004 diesel , they get pretty loud in the cockpit though , the Chevys are tin cans , the brakes suck in them you will rear end some one in it guaranteed , and you will not get the life out off them , the Nissan you feel like you are sitting in a old grand Torino station wagon , my two will be going soon no one wants them after a week , and the sprinter is nice but pricy right down to the tires . Do not get a 6.0 or a6.4 ford diesel if you get a 150 k out before a major motor problem you did good
HenryA
7/8/2013 11:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2013 11:46pm
Back in the days I was rolling in a dodge 2500 van and later on switched to a lifted Ford Econoline 250, the ford was better IMO.
But they both had one big problem and that was that you were not available to stand in the back withour hitting your head, and that's why we switched to a Sprinter and never looked back.
And dieselxpower I understand if you are skeptical about getting a new sprinter when your old one was a mess. But they have really improved over the last couple of years.
sammy0
7/9/2013 11:42am
Coming from the UK... I can't believe you lot talking about V8s and getting 10-15mpg! It blows my mind!

Lwb with high top Merc sprinters are the backbone of racing in the UK. Efficient engine and tonnes of room. A large number have a partition between the living area and the garage section. Having a double bed over the garage section and a bed which comes from the sofa, meaning it can sleep 4 people happily (have experienced this myself) and still have space for a counter top, sinks, TVs, and loads of storage.
BAMX
7/9/2013 11:53am
sammy0 wrote:
Coming from the UK... I can't believe you lot talking about V8s and getting 10-15mpg! It blows my mind! Lwb with high top Merc sprinters are...
Coming from the UK... I can't believe you lot talking about V8s and getting 10-15mpg! It blows my mind!

Lwb with high top Merc sprinters are the backbone of racing in the UK. Efficient engine and tonnes of room. A large number have a partition between the living area and the garage section. Having a double bed over the garage section and a bed which comes from the sofa, meaning it can sleep 4 people happily (have experienced this myself) and still have space for a counter top, sinks, TVs, and loads of storage.
I would guess that the main reason is price. Nice used V8 van is around 5K. Nice used Sprinter van is around 15-20K.
bash3r
7/9/2013 11:58am
Exactly... I think I'm going to go with a Chevy Express regular length and see how it goes...it will be a few years until my boys are on full size bikes... A lot of the extendeds I'm finding or over priced or beat to heck...

If I do this I'll have a build going on my website too.. lets see if I can find a deal!!
hondaxr400
10/11/2015 1:02am
ob wrote:
[IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/ob917/20130309_143404.jpg[/IMG] I love my moto van. Extended chev with the 6.0lt. 17mpg hwy, lots of power. Lifted 3" with 33" tires. Ive also had a couple...
I love my moto van. Extended chev with the 6.0lt. 17mpg hwy, lots of power. Lifted 3" with 33" tires. Ive also had a couple extended fords, one with the six and one with the triton 5.4. The chevy is much better in every way except the brakes. It also has about 6" more usable space inside. I drive to socal from portland about once a month and live in it while im there, lol.
what size and model tires are those?
dgmx
10/11/2015 7:58am
I love my ram 2500 promaster van. No real complaints with it besides the passenger seat not reclining
10/11/2015 10:57am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2015 10:58am
The best van for the money (in my opinion) would be any of the chevy 2500/3500 express vans with the 4L80e transmission. All the express vans are good but if you plan to haul any kind of weight the transmission in the 1500's tend to overheat and fail from searching grears up every grade.
10/11/2015 11:02am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2015 11:03am
My van pulls a 6x10 no problem. It's when I get an 8 foot tall trailer it might struggle in mountains. But as long as it's not wider or taller than the van a 1500 express will pull it nicely. However, gas mileage isn't much different between the 1500 and 2500. My next one will be a 2500 extended Chevy
Pirate421
10/11/2015 11:20am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2015 11:23am
I was trying to get a 3500 express but after lots of looking it seems like the only models with the 9600-10k tow capacity are 2011 and newer? If that's correct then I'll have to wait a few years as all those options are around $15-20k. Talking about passenger van also. An extended cargo with 6.0 and side windows is just about impossible to find.
Justin345
10/11/2015 2:46pm

My rig. 14ft box truck set up to haul 3 bikes and sleep 2. Living area with AC, Bunk beds with bottom bunk folding out to full size bed, carpeted. On board Onan generator and water tank mounted underneath.
mxadam579
10/12/2015 9:40am
ob wrote:
[IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/ob917/20130309_143404.jpg[/IMG] I love my moto van. Extended chev with the 6.0lt. 17mpg hwy, lots of power. Lifted 3" with 33" tires. Ive also had a couple...
I love my moto van. Extended chev with the 6.0lt. 17mpg hwy, lots of power. Lifted 3" with 33" tires. Ive also had a couple extended fords, one with the six and one with the triton 5.4. The chevy is much better in every way except the brakes. It also has about 6" more usable space inside. I drive to socal from portland about once a month and live in it while im there, lol.
This is clean and I dont even ride anymore I want for a daily driver Looks Nice Buddy
10/12/2015 9:55am
Pirate421 wrote:
I was trying to get a 3500 express but after lots of looking it seems like the only models with the 9600-10k tow capacity are 2011...
I was trying to get a 3500 express but after lots of looking it seems like the only models with the 9600-10k tow capacity are 2011 and newer? If that's correct then I'll have to wait a few years as all those options are around $15-20k. Talking about passenger van also. An extended cargo with 6.0 and side windows is just about impossible to find.
My 2004 Express 3500 is rated at 10k pounds for towing. I recommend looking for a passenger van. Not more expensive and usually have more options and better maintenance. Plus you can sell the seats you don't need and pay a part of your mods with it. You can also add privacy by spray painting Windows from the inside.
FWYT
10/12/2015 10:19am
Should my little Toyota truck ever expire, (410K miles and still going strong!) I am
leaning towards a late 90's Astro Van. Hopefully one that still has a business
painted on the side like "Biff's Lawncare" or something. Roll it lo-tech style.
Tim507
10/12/2015 10:47am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2015 10:47am
Bought a Ram 3500 159" early spring - doing a conversion myself.

2 fantastic Fans and a Sunroof in the roof, windows in the doors and above the beds, two fold down couch/units that fold into a full width bed. Two Optima batteries and a propane tank under the chassis. Wiring and propane lines to the coach is into the coach from underneath. The rainy season is upon usUnsure Working on the interior wiring. Will build my own cabinets. Soon to come is heat (I have temp heat now) a 2 burner range and a refer....insulation and walls will be soon.

Carries two bike in backwards at the rear.

Other items planned: Awning, roof carrier for whatever.......

Went to Canadian Old timers and got 19 MPG from Salem OR and back......

Stayactive28
5/17/2018 1:47pm
Well I was in this glorious club with my 03 sprinter for quite some time, got it right after I got out of the sport and...
Well I was in this glorious club with my 03 sprinter for quite some time, got it right after I got out of the sport and it just died on me and ended up being junked today.. Right as I have my foot back into the sport. Go figure

So I need a new one. My sprinter had 394xxx when I put her to rest today.. Always had issues since I got it with 50k. Im wondering if anyone here has had any strong runners and to tell me which make/model/years of van to look for. Or if you've had something with problem after problem, like my sprinter I'd like to know aswell. I'm just concerned with reliability over 200 mile one way trips non stop. Currently planning to look at some late 05-08 e350's this week. Some diesel some not, plus I'm a tad leery of ford.. also how is handlebar clearance in those type vans? Coming from the sprinter I'm not too excited..

Idk maybe someone will chime in and shine a little light..

As always thanks guys

My to do list is= van/bikes/flood of go pro uploads of sunset ridge and Byron - in that order! Need time machine.
I have one for sale.
Ford E350 Cutaway Box Van (15ft)

Ultimate Retro - Modern Race Van. Fully Wrapped. V8 Gas.. 50k on new motor and new transmission.

Entire interior was done by RB Components (22k):
RB Components Coin Flooring, Onboard 4000w Onan Generator w/ switches in front and rear of van, 2 Batteries & amp, 2000w inverter, 110 outlets throughout front and back, Onboard Compressor, Onboard Water Tank/Pump/Outdoor Shower, RB Components Tool Chest & Cabinets, RB Components Bench/Sleeper, Over Cab Sleeper (Twin Bed), Microwave, RB Components LED Cabin and under Cabinet Lights, LED Outdoor Lights, loads of L-Track, RB Components Bag and Accessories throughout, Snap in Gas Can holder & Gas can, JL Audio Amp, JL Audio Speakers throughout, JL Audio 10W7 (Bass bumps)

75% Tires, Alcoa's, New ignition, New shocks, New gas pump, New Front End Work Done, Fully Insulated, Sound Deadened Box, Carpeted walls, Loading ramp

Was designed with switches for Generator and 110 outlets in both living and garage area so that a wall could be put up to separate the living and garage space.

You will not find a cleaner or better set up!

24k OBO

Post a reply to: Who's got a moto van?

The Latest