Who wears work boots?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2014 7:02pm
I just picked up a pair of Red Wing boots that are waterproof. Took my Superfeet insoles out of my old Payless boots (JUNK)
and man I'm styling now. These boots can also be resoled.

Has anyone tried Red Wing? My best friend/landlord just got some Ecco Tex boots that look pretty nice as well.
|
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
9/20/2013 12:28pm
Nothing like a comfortable pair of boots. When I was with the Fire Dept. we had a choice of Red Wing or
Chippewa boots, I had my Chippewas around for like 20 years. Of course the last 15 was only for yard work.
newmann
9/20/2013 12:38pm
I bought some Timberland hiking boots a few years back. Only wore them occasionally and they stayed in the house/air conditioning. One day there was black shit getting all over me. Noticed the rubber around the back of the heel had started to disintegrate??? Turned to sticky mushy shit. No warranty, Academy told me to go take a hike.
Mr. G
9/20/2013 1:01pm
The Rock wrote:
I just picked up a pair of Red Wing boots that are waterproof. Took my Superfeet insoles out of my old Payless boots (JUNK) and man...
I just picked up a pair of Red Wing boots that are waterproof. Took my Superfeet insoles out of my old Payless boots (JUNK)
and man I'm styling now. These boots can also be resoled.

Has anyone tried Red Wing? My best friend/landlord just got some Ecco Tex boots that look pretty nice as well.
RedWing are very high quality but I am a cheap bastard so I go elsewhere. Last time I bought boots I checked K Mart, Payless, Target, Sears and Walmart. Amazingly Walmart had the best (most leather). I then add an insert to them. Works well and much cheaper.
Xtreme1
9/20/2013 2:09pm

I wear the Danner Quarry GTX and love them. They have what's called the Dry Ice sole that has two types of rubber for excellent traction on ice. They have Gore Tex and 400 grams of thinsulate as well as a non metallic toe. Most of the high end line boots are made in Portland.

The Shop

MR. X
9/20/2013 2:16pm
Just bought my first pair of red wings a few months ago . I broke both my feet a few years back riding and a good tight boot helps with sore feet . I also had good luck with the timberland pros I bought from sears.
The Rock
9/20/2013 2:31pm
Mr. G wrote:
RedWing are very high quality but I am a cheap bastard so I go elsewhere. Last time I bought boots I checked K Mart, Payless, Target...
RedWing are very high quality but I am a cheap bastard so I go elsewhere. Last time I bought boots I checked K Mart, Payless, Target, Sears and Walmart. Amazingly Walmart had the best (most leather). I then add an insert to them. Works well and much cheaper.
I like a bargain as much as the next guy but you really do get what you pay for.

I used to go through office chairs every 1.5 to 2 years. I was paying 100 to 150 dollars a chair. I finally stepped up and paid six bills for a Herman Miller Aeron office chair about 13 years ago. it is still going strong.

Ditto for suitcases. 25 plus years ago I had an 'in' at Halliburton so bought five pieces of luggage and a briefcase (remember when people carried those?) all at half price or less. All of these pieces will outlive me.

I used to get my boots at Big Lots and Payless but am now in a situation where I need to have waterproof boots in the winter time plus really appreciate the additional sole support. I've never felt boots like these Red Wings before.

On a related subject, what's up with special socks that cost 15 to 20 dollars a pair?
Mr. G
9/20/2013 5:37pm
How much did the Red Wings run ya?
PADDY'S LAD
9/20/2013 5:46pm
I've bought one pair of Redwing boots and for the price they didn't last at all.
I purchase diehard boots at Sears and they seem to hold up better (IMO)
I'm on my feet all day in my shop(concrete floor) & they insulate my feet well
You can resole the red wings but what good is it if the uppers wear out?,
The Rock
9/20/2013 6:28pm
Mr. G wrote:
How much did the Red Wings run ya?
Little over 200 out the door.
borg
9/20/2013 6:38pm
I've bought one pair of Redwing boots and for the price they didn't last at all. I purchase diehard boots at Sears and they seem to...
I've bought one pair of Redwing boots and for the price they didn't last at all.
I purchase diehard boots at Sears and they seem to hold up better (IMO)
I'm on my feet all day in my shop(concrete floor) & they insulate my feet well
You can resole the red wings but what good is it if the uppers wear out?,
I used to get the Diehards but something happened to the quality about 10 years ago. They didn't seem to last. Then I noticed that they were being made in China. I started buying Herman Survivors. They are way cheaper but last just as long. They feel good on my feet too. I wear mine 10 hours a day when I'm working but I'm not in extreme conditions. As long as they feel good and last about a year, I'm down. The Diehards are probably made at the same Chinese factory as the Hermans but they are twice as much. No point in that.

Herman used to be right up there with Danner as far as quality but not any more. Not since Walmart bought them out.
Hut
9/20/2013 7:47pm
The only boots I wear.
Hand made in Spokane.
Xtreme1
9/20/2013 7:55pm
A lot of guys I work with wear Whites as well. I'll be going through Spokane in a week or so, I'll have to look. The reason i like Danner is they came to Prudhoe bay and asked a lot of the workers what they were looking for. Then they designed the boot and came up with that sole compound that works awesome on ice. Their high end boots are all made in Portland.

Match them up with the new Kevlar laces that they make up in Canada and they never wear out.
Hut
9/20/2013 8:00pm
Xtreme1 wrote:
A lot of guys I work with wear Whites as well. I'll be going through Spokane in a week or so, I'll have to look. The...
A lot of guys I work with wear Whites as well. I'll be going through Spokane in a week or so, I'll have to look. The reason i like Danner is they came to Prudhoe bay and asked a lot of the workers what they were looking for. Then they designed the boot and came up with that sole compound that works awesome on ice. Their high end boots are all made in Portland.

Match them up with the new Kevlar laces that they make up in Canada and they never wear out.
If you are possibly getting fitted for boots in Spokane also check out Nick's Boots they are top quality hand made boots as well.
9/20/2013 8:11pm
I wear Red Wings, the railroad gives us a discount. I have had 3 pairs in almost ten years. The ballast and hot shit wear out the soles faster than the upper parts. We had a flood two summers ago so they bought us all new boots for slopping around in the water. I walked into the store and said gimme the most expensive ones you have. They were almost 300 bucks. They are very comfortable but the no-slip soles do not hold up to accidentally standing on 3000 degree rail slag like the ones with the 'logger' soles. I even ran over a dudes toe with a truck whilst he was pissing, no injury.
Sandberm
9/20/2013 9:29pm
My wifes cousin swears by Whites boots.

My last few pairs of boots have been Carolina brand. They are very comfortable for my feet and last about 5 or 6 years. Cost is about $110-$120.
Xtreme1
9/20/2013 10:08pm
Hut wrote:
If you are possibly getting fitted for boots in Spokane also check out Nick's Boots they are top quality hand made boots as well.
Kewl, thanks!
brlatm
9/21/2013 6:27am
I've been in steel toe work boots since 93 as it is a requirement. I blow through a pair of Red Wings in less than 6 months they don't last and are not worth the money. Danner as a great boot, Baffin is a really good boot for extreme cold conditions I won't even put them on till it is below 0F. Now I switch back and forth everyday from Twisted X and Ariat both square toed boots. Even you have never tried wearing a square toe don't laugh because your feet will love you for it.

I was going thru Belle Fourche, SD and stopped in Pete's western wear and he talked me into trying a pair and I laughed at him. That was about 6 years ago and I have had maybe 14 different pair of work and cowboy boots since that time. Yes I have a lot of pair but I only wear boots in the states and flip flops down here on the island.

Oh and the Rocky's ^^^^ are a good boot as well they just didn't hold up to all the abuse I put them through.
brlatm
9/21/2013 7:55am
Oilfield man we put those bastards through hell and then bring them back again and see if they stand up. Your boots on a normal day might see, cement, acid, sand, chemicals, water, oil, condensate etc.... They better hold up if your going to work a 16-18 hr day.
88sdad
9/21/2013 8:38am
Hut wrote:
The only boots I wear. Hand made in Spokane. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/09/20/32266/s1200_whites.jpg[/img]
The only boots I wear.
Hand made in Spokane.
Whites are the only way to go if you want a real "work" boot.
The Rock
9/21/2013 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2013 1:00pm
Great information in this thread. My application doesn't require steel toes but does require waterproof hiking boots. I'm happy with my purchase of Red Wings big time. I had a sore spot on the ball of right foot that is finally going away now that foot has the proper support.

Has anyone seen the Ecco hiking boots? These look good but obviously aren't resolable.

Down the road would like to get a pair of something along the lines of a Ecco boot. It has been awhile but for a long time I always had two pairs of the same shoes and boots so I could alternate days. Much better to let things dry out but duty calls so this isn't always an option for a lot of us.
brlatm
9/21/2013 4:19pm
The Rock wrote:
Great information in this thread. My application doesn't require steel toes but does require waterproof hiking boots. I'm happy with my purchase of Red Wings big...
Great information in this thread. My application doesn't require steel toes but does require waterproof hiking boots. I'm happy with my purchase of Red Wings big time. I had a sore spot on the ball of right foot that is finally going away now that foot has the proper support.

Has anyone seen the Ecco hiking boots? These look good but obviously aren't resolable.

Down the road would like to get a pair of something along the lines of a Ecco boot. It has been awhile but for a long time I always had two pairs of the same shoes and boots so I could alternate days. Much better to let things dry out but duty calls so this isn't always an option for a lot of us.
Looks like a sweet boot man the one thing I have found that has helped a bunch is getting rid of the cheap fucking socks and buying quality ones no shit. Some guys laugh when I pull off my cowboy boots and I will have a pair of Under Armour golf type socks on but they never slip or budge off my feet in all day sweat or heat so I think they are well worth the extra money and I am a cheapskate sumbitch.
Hut
9/21/2013 7:46pm
The Rock wrote:
Great information in this thread. My application doesn't require steel toes but does require waterproof hiking boots. I'm happy with my purchase of Red Wings big...

I like to alternate boots as well. I have a pair of White's Smoke Jumpers and a pair of White's Packers that I alternate between. Once those Packers finally wear out I will go with a pair of White's Vintage boots and alternate with Smoke Jumpers. I bought those packers new in 1994 and have had them rebuilt several times now. Laughing

Just a suggestion for you Rock, you may want to invest in a Peet boot dryer. Dries boots over night with very low heat and keeps you boots in good shape and gives you happy feet! A good investment Cool
kripple428
9/21/2013 8:15pm
I love my redwings! just bought a new pair a few months ago unfortunately I am now in the market for another pair because i forgot they were in the back of my truck for a few weeks and it rained quite a bit and thy got all molded :/ best boots you can buy though
The Rock
9/21/2013 8:48pm
Hut wrote:
I like to alternate boots as well. I have a pair of White's Smoke Jumpers and a pair of White's Packers that I alternate between. Once...
I like to alternate boots as well. I have a pair of White's Smoke Jumpers and a pair of White's Packers that I alternate between. Once those Packers finally wear out I will go with a pair of White's Vintage boots and alternate with Smoke Jumpers. I bought those packers new in 1994 and have had them rebuilt several times now. Laughing

Just a suggestion for you Rock, you may want to invest in a Peet boot dryer. Dries boots over night with very low heat and keeps you boots in good shape and gives you happy feet! A good investment Cool
Thanks for the Peet boot dryer tip. 'll have to check the power consumption to see if it will work here. i live in the jungle off the grid with solar power and power is always an issue.
skid mark
9/23/2013 6:24am
Boot dryers are definitely a must.

For the original question, Red Wing boots are well built just make sure that they fit right. The pair that i have fit a large volume foot. My mistake for not finding the right pair. I bought a pair of the Timberland Pro boots a few years ago and they definitely fit my foot much better and are standing up to the elements of drilling and ND very well.

I think that there are many well built boots out there, but they are all crap if they don't fit right

For the question about Ecco boots, I've had two pairs and would definitely buy them again.
steed 2.0
9/24/2013 8:03am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2013 8:04am
The Rock wrote:

nemo22
5/12/2014 7:34am
I've published an article reviewing the top work boots brands which one of them sure Red Wing, also it discusses all the points that should be taken into consideration before your purchase to guarantee getting the best return on your investment, here is the link http://bestworkbootsguide.blogspot.com
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/12/2014 8:32pm
I have had several pairs of Redwings, very comfortable but they don't last as long as a $200 pair of boots should last.

Post a reply to: Who wears work boots?

The Latest