Whats the scoop on VPN's?

teggers
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2014 1:01pm
I started using one when I was in China just so I could see You Tube/Facebook/Netflix.

I have done a bit of research after returning......

I have always used Privoxy. Whats the latest greatest way of flying under the radar?

Please update me on using this all the time.
|
The Rock
4/11/2014 1:29am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2014 1:33am
Virtual Private Networks. They've been around for a long time and companies use them to provide their own secure network via this virtual private network across the Internet. Back in the day I designed and sold enterprise networks that required dedicated data circuits (pre Internet 76 to 86) but today people utilize VPN technology to do basically the same thing but utilizing the Internet for the "backbone."

Fast Eddy is the answer man on all things technical plus I have zero idea about the greatest way of flying under the radar.
XXVoid MainXX
4/11/2014 4:34am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2014 4:36am
I have been been running a VPN between my network and my parents network for like the last 15 years. It makes it appear as one single network. We also use many VPN technologies at work.
enketchum
4/11/2014 9:00am
why do you need to use a VPN? There are other or easier things that may do better for you depending on what you need
Rooster
4/11/2014 11:57am
If you want to fly under the radar look into TOR or the dark web.

Of course they still managed to break up silk road, so for all it's encryption they still seem to have a way track you.

If somebody truly knows how to stay anonymous on the web these days, they're likely to be keeping it a closely held secret.

The Shop

the_wood109
4/11/2014 1:01pm
teggers wrote:
I started using one when I was in China just so I could see You Tube/Facebook/Netflix. I have done a bit of research after returning...... I...
I started using one when I was in China just so I could see You Tube/Facebook/Netflix.

I have done a bit of research after returning......

I have always used Privoxy. Whats the latest greatest way of flying under the radar?

Please update me on using this all the time.
The silk road situation was all about bitcoin, from what I understand.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/09/05/follow-the-bitcoin…

Then again, there has been news about backdoors being specifically built into various protocols for NSA snooping purposes.

A VPN proxy should be fine if you are just accessing sites through the great firewall of china, as long as you're using encryption with the tunneling protocols.

http://lifehacker.com/237227/geek-to-live--encrypt-your-web-browsing-se…

Post a reply to: Whats the scoop on VPN's?

The Latest