Well it's official.....

Rooster
Edited Date/Time 4/16/2014 3:52pm
Your opinion doesn't matter and neither does your vote. America is now an oligarchy where the political power rests in the hands of an elite few.

Here's a snippet of the conclusion:

What do our findings say about democracy in America? They certainly constitute troubling news for advocates of “populistic” democracy, who want governments to respond primarily or exclusively to the policy preferences of their citizens. In the United States, our findings indicate, the majority does not rule -- at least not in the causal sense of actually determining policy outcomes. When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organized interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the U.S. political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favor policy change, they generally do not get it.

Read the study here
|
APLMAN99
4/15/2014 1:13pm
Rooster wrote:
Your opinion doesn't matter and neither does your vote. America is now an oligarchy where the political power rests in the hands of an elite few...
Your opinion doesn't matter and neither does your vote. America is now an oligarchy where the political power rests in the hands of an elite few.

What do our findings say about democracy in America? They certainly constitute troubling news for advocates of “populistic” democracy, who want governments to respond primarily or exclusively to the policy preferences of their citizens. In the United States, our findings indicate, the majority does not rule -- at least not in the causal sense of actually determining policy outcomes. When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organized interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the U.S. political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favor policy change, they generally do not get it.

Read the study here
With only having the time to read the snippet posted, the only proper response can be.....duh!

The entire scheme of government is set up to defend from the tyranny of the majority.

The power wielded by corporations and the mega - rich is a completely different, and just as dangerous, problem. ......
enketchum
4/15/2014 1:27pm
there is no majority for anything in this naiton. If a true majority wanted something to change, we could make it change.
4/15/2014 9:38pm
Prop 8. Voted into law by a majority of Californians who were subsequently ignored. I agree with the OP - your opinion doesn't matter and neither does your vote.
rebus
4/15/2014 10:25pm

The Shop

kongols
4/15/2014 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2014 10:59pm
Welcome to almost every country in the world.
500guy
4/16/2014 7:20am
One thing I noticed even at a local level, if a project or service is brought up and meets opposition, they just bring it up over and over until they get enough support or the people against it move on and then they ram it past.

People at all levels are majorly frustrated with Government.
APLMAN99
4/16/2014 7:33am
500guy wrote:
One thing I noticed even at a local level, if a project or service is brought up and meets opposition, they just bring it up over...
One thing I noticed even at a local level, if a project or service is brought up and meets opposition, they just bring it up over and over until they get enough support or the people against it move on and then they ram it past.

Isn't that the way it should be, though. If you feel passionately about an issue, shouldn't you continue to fight for it?
500guy
4/16/2014 7:58am
500guy wrote:
One thing I noticed even at a local level, if a project or service is brought up and meets opposition, they just bring it up over...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Isn't that the way it should be, though. If you feel passionately about an issue, shouldn't you continue to fight for it?
Bad projects that waste tax payers money don't become good projects just because a few people grind away at it.
APLMAN99
4/16/2014 10:22am
500guy wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
500guy wrote:
Bad projects that waste tax payers money don't become good projects just because a few people grind away at it.
If folks were passionate about opposing it, they'd continue to do so also.
huck
4/16/2014 10:26am
500guy wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
500guy wrote:
What some people see as "bad projects" and a "waste of tax payers money" may not be bad projects or a waste to others...
4/16/2014 10:47am
500guy wrote:

California's bullet train comes to mind.....
Titan1
4/16/2014 2:26pm
Rooster wrote:
Your opinion doesn't matter and neither does your vote. America is now an oligarchy where the political power rests in the hands of an elite few...

Read the study here
I've only read your paragraph there...but our government is designed to prevent the "majority" from ruling (well, oppressing, really, the minority)...it is the constitution, not the majority, that rules in our government.
4/16/2014 2:35pm
Titan1 wrote:
I've only read your paragraph there...but our government is designed to prevent the "majority" from ruling (well, oppressing, really, the minority)...it is the constitution, not the...
I've only read your paragraph there...but our government is designed to prevent the "majority" from ruling (well, oppressing, really, the minority)...it is the constitution, not the majority, that rules in our government.
That's great, Titan, but it is not working.
Rooster
4/16/2014 3:52pm
Rooster wrote:

Read the study here
Titan1 wrote:
I've only read your paragraph there...but our government is designed to prevent the "majority" from ruling (well, oppressing, really, the minority)...it is the constitution, not the...
If by "government" you mean "bill of rights", then yes you would be correct.

A democratic republic, by it's very nature, is designed to represent the will of the majority.

Since a government is free to write, enact, change and repeal laws, including constitutional amendments, there is no way that you can say that you are ruled by a single document like your constitution. Especially if that document was written in way that allowed the people to change it as they see fit. You are ruled by the people who were elected by a majority of citizens who participated in the voting process (or in the case of your president, the electoral college).

I cases such as Prop 8, the bill of rights guarantees equality for all, so it usurps a poorly written and biased law. In most policy cases, constitutional and human rights issues have no bearing.

To simplify what the report indicates, the vast majority of political power rests in the hands of the wealthy elite. The next most powerful group is associations that represent business interests. Below that comes special interest groups formed by citizens, and lastly, represented as having almost no political power, is the will of the majority of individual citizens.

Post a reply to: Well it's official.....

The Latest