"We need more guns to make us safer"?

J.F.S
Edited Date/Time 11/20/2014 5:01pm
When it comes to guns and gun violence in America, it’s astonishing how for millions common sense goes right out the window. Pretty much any credible stat showing global gun violence shows that not only does the United States lead the industrialized world in gun violence (per 100,000 people), but it’s not even close. Countries similar to us like Canada, Australia and England, which have much stricter regulations on firearms, have a fraction of the gun violence.

Yet despite this indisputable evidence, these gun nuts still honestly believe that even though we have well over 300 million guns in this country – we need more guns.
Often they’ll tout Chicago, and its gun violence, as the “example” of what happens when “liberals pass their strict regulations on guns.” This, of course, is a ridiculous comparison because one city doesn’t prove anything. The best way to look at gun violence is to take each state and compare the gun violence (per 100,000 people) to really paint a picture as to where gun violence is really a problem.
So, let’s do just that. Here are the top 10 states with the most gun homicides per 100,000 people:

Louisiana (18.8)
Mississippi (17.9)
Alaska (16.9)
Wyoming (16.7)
Oklahoma (16.6)
Montana (16.3)
Arkansas (16.0)
Alabama (16.0)
New Mexico (14.8)
South Carolina (14.8)

Notice something? 8 out of 10 of those states has a Republican governor (the exceptions being Montana and Arkansas), and all except for New Mexico have a Republican controlled state legislature / general assembly. Not only that, but since 2000, every state but New Mexico (2008, 2012) voted for the Republican candidate for president. Needless to say, these aren’t exactly “liberal anti-gun” states. For the record, the national average for gun homicides per 100,000 is 10.38. So these states aren’t only above average, they’re well above average.

And just for the “fun” of it, let’s look at the 10 poorest states in the United States:

Mississippi
Arkansas
West Virginia
Alabama
Kentucky
New Mexico
Tennessee
Louisiana
South Carolina
Oklahoma

Fascinating, isn’t it? Seven of the ten states that lead the United States in gun homicides also lead it in poverty. For another intriguing look at the big picture, check out CNBC’s rankings for the 10 worst states to live in – you’ll see many of these same states listed on there as well.

It would seem the best way to reduce gun violence would be to fight poverty – not buy more guns. Because as these stats show, very pro-gun states lead the country in gun violence.

And isn’t it interesting how so many “strongly Republican states” are some of the poorest in the country, while Republicans are also the same party that feverishly pushes gun ownership?

It’s a brilliantly dangerous con. You support economic policies that keep people poor, undoubtedly resulting in more violence. That violence then helps create the right environment for people to believe fear mongering gun propaganda, which spikes gun and ammo sales (which is great for the NRA that just happens to heavily back the GOP). Toss in a little religion to control people socially, pander to racism, and that’s basically the foundation of the Republican party.

Because if guns were the answer, every pro-gun Republican controlled state in the United States would be the safest ones in which to live. But that’s clearly not the case.
Then again, you’d have to be an absolute fool to think that more guns solves gun violence anyway. And that’s what gun nuts are – fools.
|
XXVoid MainXX
10/24/2014 5:15am
Here's a stat: 9 out of 10 Swedes stick their noses in where it don't belong.
Spydee
10/24/2014 5:23am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 5:24am
Stopped reading as soon as I saw "Canada, America, England". So Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (i.e. Great Britain/United Kingdom) are nothing like Canada, American, England??

Geography lesson for one over here, please.
71Fish
10/24/2014 5:40am
Stats mean nothing without the data to back them up.
Were these gun deaths done during the commission of a crime, or were they stopping crime? What about suicides or accidents?
What is the time period? Did these states always have Republican governors? Were they Republican run states during the entire time these stats cover? What about the make up of the legislator?

Where is the data that drives these numbers? The product means nothing without the process.
newmann
10/24/2014 5:55am
Poor JFS all butthurt over my Chicago references. I gave him Chicago to do with as he pleases, free reign over a single city. And yet he has no plan whatsoever. So instead of admitting his failures over one little city, he's taking his lack of abilities to make a difference out on the road. Now he will do nothing in ten states. You should team up with our president, you two could do nothing together. Your golf game would probably improve though.

Aren't you supposed to be out searching for a Russian sub right now?

The Shop

IWreckALot
10/24/2014 5:56am
Implementing stricter gun laws right now would be suicide. Criminals with guns will end up with guns and the honest people won't have a way to defend themselves. Chicago is a great example of what happens when guns exist in the hands of criminals but honest people can't access them. The problem isn't the number of guns, it's the number of guns in the wrong hands. A more stringent background check would be a starter to keep criminals from purchasing guns.

I own guns right now, and guess how many laws I've broken with them. 0. There are responsible gun owners. . . believe it or not.

71Fish has some valid questions and Void has a very accurate statistic.
hillbilly
10/24/2014 6:05am
Gun violence has nothing to do with guns but with morals. If it wasn't a gun it would be a knife or ballbat.

The problem here is the moral compass needle has fell off and life has no value.
newmann
10/24/2014 6:38am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 6:39am
Sweden ranked 3rd in rapes! Wow, 2 1/2 times as many as the US. JFS hiding something? Feeling "frustrated"? I guess that in Sweden JFS thinks that "no" means "I'm just going to be a bit feisty".
IWreckALot
10/24/2014 6:42am
newmann wrote:
Sweden ranked 3rd in rapes! Wow, 2 1/2 times as many as the US. JFS hiding something? Feeling "frustrated"? I guess that in Sweden JFS thinks...
Sweden ranked 3rd in rapes! Wow, 2 1/2 times as many as the US. JFS hiding something? Feeling "frustrated"? I guess that in Sweden JFS thinks that "no" means "I'm just going to be a bit feisty".
Speaking of sexual related crimes, did you hear about these geniuses at Texas Tech?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/23/texas-tech-no-means-yes-frater…
markit
10/24/2014 6:53am
Why doesnt the op ask this ? In a criminal forum? Has anyone here ever shot someone?
SEE ARE125
10/24/2014 6:58am
I looked up "troll" in the thesaurus and J.F.S. was listed in the synonyms. I'll never understand why this guy cares so much about what America does or doesn't do. It appears to me he just likes arguing or creating conflict where there is none.
hvaughn88
10/24/2014 6:59am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 7:02am
J.F.S wrote:
When it comes to guns and gun violence in America, it’s astonishing how for millions common sense goes right out the window. Pretty much any credible...
When it comes to guns and gun violence in America, it’s astonishing how for millions common sense goes right out the window. Pretty much any credible stat showing global gun violence shows that not only does the United States lead the industrialized world in gun violence (per 100,000 people), but it’s not even close. Countries similar to us like Canada, Australia and England, which have much stricter regulations on firearms, have a fraction of the gun violence.

Yet despite this indisputable evidence, these gun nuts still honestly believe that even though we have well over 300 million guns in this country – we need more guns.
Often they’ll tout Chicago, and its gun violence, as the “example” of what happens when “liberals pass their strict regulations on guns.” This, of course, is a ridiculous comparison because one city doesn’t prove anything. The best way to look at gun violence is to take each state and compare the gun violence (per 100,000 people) to really paint a picture as to where gun violence is really a problem.
So, let’s do just that. Here are the top 10 states with the most gun homicides per 100,000 people:

Louisiana (18.8)
Mississippi (17.9)
Alaska (16.9)
Wyoming (16.7)
Oklahoma (16.6)
Montana (16.3)
Arkansas (16.0)
Alabama (16.0)
New Mexico (14.8)
South Carolina (14.8)

Notice something? 8 out of 10 of those states has a Republican governor (the exceptions being Montana and Arkansas), and all except for New Mexico have a Republican controlled state legislature / general assembly. Not only that, but since 2000, every state but New Mexico (2008, 2012) voted for the Republican candidate for president. Needless to say, these aren’t exactly “liberal anti-gun” states. For the record, the national average for gun homicides per 100,000 is 10.38. So these states aren’t only above average, they’re well above average.

And just for the “fun” of it, let’s look at the 10 poorest states in the United States:

Mississippi
Arkansas
West Virginia
Alabama
Kentucky
New Mexico
Tennessee
Louisiana
South Carolina
Oklahoma

Fascinating, isn’t it? Seven of the ten states that lead the United States in gun homicides also lead it in poverty. For another intriguing look at the big picture, check out CNBC’s rankings for the 10 worst states to live in – you’ll see many of these same states listed on there as well.

It would seem the best way to reduce gun violence would be to fight poverty – not buy more guns. Because as these stats show, very pro-gun states lead the country in gun violence.

And isn’t it interesting how so many “strongly Republican states” are some of the poorest in the country, while Republicans are also the same party that feverishly pushes gun ownership?

It’s a brilliantly dangerous con. You support economic policies that keep people poor, undoubtedly resulting in more violence. That violence then helps create the right environment for people to believe fear mongering gun propaganda, which spikes gun and ammo sales (which is great for the NRA that just happens to heavily back the GOP). Toss in a little religion to control people socially, pander to racism, and that’s basically the foundation of the Republican party.

Because if guns were the answer, every pro-gun Republican controlled state in the United States would be the safest ones in which to live. But that’s clearly not the case.
Then again, you’d have to be an absolute fool to think that more guns solves gun violence anyway. And that’s what gun nuts are – fools.
care to state where you got your data from for the gun stats? By the way, you state that Chicago doesn't count because one city doesn't prove anything. Well you do realize that most of those states you mentioned are states with low populations and the majority of all violent crimes come from the one bigger city that each state has. Sooooo, don't count those and then re-do your data and see what you come back with if that's how you want to play it.
Old-Man
10/24/2014 7:01am
When you pay so much attention to something whether it be homo's...little girls or in this case other country's , deep down inside you wish you were there.

Quit fighting the erg J.F.S and go with it.

On the subject.
Taking guns away from Law abiding citizen's enables criminals,

Hypothetical question:
Two stores one across the street from another. One is in Colorado the other in Kansas ( Before July1st 2014')
Every swinging dick in the store in Colorado has a gun on their hip while the Kansas store is full of people unsuspecting anything other than to go about their business.

Wonder what store the criminals would decide to rob?
Old-Man
10/24/2014 7:36am
"It’s a brilliantly dangerous con. You support economic policies that keep people poor, undoubtedly resulting in more violence"

Yep, It's all the Governments fault these people are poor not their lazy asses.....
thesadguy
10/24/2014 9:30am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 9:40am
J.F.S wrote:
When it comes to guns and gun violence in America, it’s astonishing how for millions common sense goes right out the window. Pretty much any credible...

Louisiana (18.8)
Mississippi (17.9)
Alaska (16.9)
Wyoming (16.7)
Oklahoma (16.6)
Montana (16.3)
Arkansas (16.0)
Alabama (16.0)
New Mexico (14.8)
South Carolina (14.8)

Mississippi
Arkansas
West Virginia
Alabama
Kentucky
New Mexico
Tennessee
Louisiana
South Carolina
Oklahoma

edit. I would suggest solving the Muslim problem in your own country before hammering ours. At least we have a form of protection against our government. What happens to you when your government turns on you? Seriously. Mind your own business you pig.
hillbilly
10/24/2014 10:57am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I looked up "troll" in the thesaurus and J.F.S. was listed in the synonyms. I'll never understand why this guy cares so much about what America...
I looked up "troll" in the thesaurus and J.F.S. was listed in the synonyms. I'll never understand why this guy cares so much about what America does or doesn't do. It appears to me he just likes arguing or creating conflict where there is none.
Because Sweden is a shit hole compared to here,

My cows will stretch their neck thru the fence trying to reach the grass.
10/24/2014 11:01am
newmann wrote:
Sweden ranked 3rd in rapes! Wow, 2 1/2 times as many as the US. JFS hiding something? Feeling "frustrated"? I guess that in Sweden JFS thinks...
I already brought this one up to him like 14 gun threads ago. I think hes to dense to understand.Laughing

But personally.....I think its always in a criminals best interest to promote an anti gun agenda. Its not like "THEY" are going to give them up!~ but....Im not in the least bit worried. Our govt knows it would lead to massive bloodshed to ever attempt to take our guns away.

JFS is just board today & trying to stir an already overcooked stew. But like a true libbral.....gotta mind everyone elses business and protect us from ourselves too!
Old-Man
10/24/2014 11:13am
newmann wrote:
I already brought this one up to him like 14 gun threads ago. I think hes to dense to understand.:laugh: But personally.....I think its always in...
I already brought this one up to him like 14 gun threads ago. I think hes to dense to understand.Laughing

But personally.....I think its always in a criminals best interest to promote an anti gun agenda. Its not like "THEY" are going to give them up!~ but....Im not in the least bit worried. Our govt knows it would lead to massive bloodshed to ever attempt to take our guns away.

JFS is just board today & trying to stir an already overcooked stew. But like a true libbral.....gotta mind everyone elses business and protect us from ourselves too!
Reminds me of my neighbor, whenever we get into small talk she is always eager to tell me what all my neighbors are doing or not doing.

PalerBlue
10/24/2014 11:55am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 11:58am
Here's a stat: 9 out of 10 Swedes stick their noses in where it don't belong.
Because Americans would never do something so INTRUSIVE would they?

Most U.K. residents have a two word reply to this blow-hard.

( Str8shooter - does this make this guy a "true liberal" ?)
MR. X
10/24/2014 2:42pm
Typical anti-gunner , always acting like they give two shits about the safety of people.
Titan1
10/24/2014 3:08pm
I bet if we all stopped replaying to JFS's fishing threads...he'd just go away.
wildbill
10/24/2014 3:16pm
Maybe some people choose to live in fear.

Maybe some have to.
the_wood109
10/24/2014 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 4:20pm
hillbilly wrote:
Gun violence has nothing to do with guns but with morals. If it wasn't a gun it would be a knife or ballbat. The problem here...
Gun violence has nothing to do with guns but with morals. If it wasn't a gun it would be a knife or ballbat.

The problem here is the moral compass needle has fell off and life has no value.
"Moral compass," he says. Wink

Also, JFS, look at average intelligence and religiousness by state. The stats offer strong evidence for the cause of the problem. However, eliminating guns in this country isn't a realistic option at the moment. It's too easy to smuggle illegal arms in and out of the country. In a smaller country, you can just tighten the legislative clamp and the black market price of weapons skyrocket. I really don't see that happening here due to the fact that there are already too many weapons floating around and they are tied in largely with the drug trade, which legislation has failed to get a grip on after years of the "war on drugs."
Old-Man
10/24/2014 4:27pm
hillbilly wrote:
Gun violence has nothing to do with guns but with morals. If it wasn't a gun it would be a knife or ballbat. The problem here...

"Moral compass," he says. ;) Also, JFS, look at average intelligence and religiousness by state. The stats offer strong evidence for the cause of the problem...
"Moral compass," he says. Wink

Also, JFS, look at average intelligence and religiousness by state. The stats offer strong evidence for the cause of the problem. However, eliminating guns in this country isn't a realistic option at the moment. It's too easy to smuggle illegal arms in and out of the country. In a smaller country, you can just tighten the legislative clamp and the black market price of weapons skyrocket. I really don't see that happening here due to the fact that there are already too many weapons floating around and they are tied in largely with the drug trade, which legislation has failed to get a grip on after years of the "war on drugs."
I agree, Hillbilly is 100% correct

" An inner sense which distinguishes what is right from what is wrong,"
the_wood109
10/24/2014 5:19pm
I agree with your definition of morality, but hillbilly said "moral compass."

A compass implies that morals come from an outside source.

If you are steve harvey, you could say "moral barometer" to sound fancy. Although, I'm not sure what atmospheric pressure has to do with morals.
Prairieboy43
10/24/2014 8:31pm
JFS.! " Don't interfere anything in the constitution.that must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.and not to democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to who love these great and true principles." Abraham Lincoln, August 27 1856
Smile
SquidBro
10/25/2014 4:09am
markit wrote:
Why doesnt the op ask this ? In a criminal forum? Has anyone here ever shot someone?
"Has anyone here ever shot someone?"

Possibly.

Give a cranky or roached out human being a gun and a split second later lives can be changed forever.

We mainly stab people around these here parts.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
10/25/2014 4:44am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2014 5:04am
newmann wrote:
Sweden has too much immigrant related problems. Increased rape statistics being one of them.
Percentage of immigrants from countries where rape is "ok" is way too high compared to swedes themselves.
We are beginning to have the same problem here because we are following their immigrant politics, wich we of course should not do.

However, this doesn't in anyway change the fact that firearm laws in the states are ridiculous, and you know it!!
hillbilly
10/25/2014 5:50am
I agree with your definition of morality, but hillbilly said "moral compass." A compass implies that morals come from an outside source. If you are steve...
I agree with your definition of morality, but hillbilly said "moral compass."

A compass implies that morals come from an outside source.

If you are steve harvey, you could say "moral barometer" to sound fancy. Although, I'm not sure what atmospheric pressure has to do with morals.
They used to come from outside,it was called parents and a family.
10/25/2014 5:53am
J.F.S wrote:

Louisiana (18.8)
Mississippi (17.9)
Alaska (16.9)
Wyoming (16.7)
Oklahoma (16.6)
Montana (16.3)
Arkansas (16.0)
Alabama (16.0)
New Mexico (14.8)
South Carolina (14.8)

Mississippi
Arkansas
West Virginia
Alabama
Kentucky
New Mexico
Tennessee
Louisiana
South Carolina
Oklahoma

Here's another stat for you. 90% of those commiting the illegal gun violence are Libral democrats that support Obama.
Here's another one for ya. 100% of abortions are performed by democratic Librals. Libral doctors murder more unborn babies than gun violence ever did.
Here's another stat for ya. Any democraticly ran and supported state has way higher unemployement and crime rates(not just gun violence), and a moral decay that people like you try to pass off as nnormal..
Its every law abiding American sitezen's rite to have and carry fire arms.. Thank God.

Post a reply to: "We need more guns to make us safer"?

The Latest