11/11/2014 9:28am
Women drivers, no survivors!
Uncle Tony
11/11/2014 9:57am
Nothing says neutered more then a guy driving a minivan
r_outsider
Not The End of the World, but you can see it from here, AB CA
11/11/2014 11:19am
It was, in fact, a 48 year old man driving the (rented) minivan! And the Tahoe that he plowed into at a tick under 40 mph started out about 10' in front of the motorcycle and rider (that's me!) that are surrounded by firefighters in the picture. We were stopped at a red light, that was silly of us.
Sandberm
11/11/2014 12:02pm
r_outsider wrote:
It was, in fact, a 48 year old man driving the (rented) minivan! And the Tahoe that he plowed into at a tick under 40 mph...
It was, in fact, a 48 year old man driving the (rented) minivan! And the Tahoe that he plowed into at a tick under 40 mph started out about 10' in front of the motorcycle and rider (that's me!) that are surrounded by firefighters in the picture. We were stopped at a red light, that was silly of us.
Hold on, are you saying that you got run over by a minivan?

The Shop

Titan1
11/11/2014 12:50pm
I drive a mini van (well, its my wifes car, but when we take the entire family, I drive it)...do I feel neutered when I drive it? ABSOLUTELY!!! (Just sayin')

Sorry you got cleaned out r_outsider...Glad you are still here to make fun of us minivan drivers...
Uncle Tony
11/11/2014 1:53pm
Hey titan1 please park the mini van you ride moto for gods sake, just kidding brother safety first!
r_outsider
11/11/2014 7:17pm
Yes, I got smoked by a minivan about 3 months ago. As bad as things were though, I'm astoundingly lucky. 6 " further over and I would have been crushed between a Dodge and a GM, as a Ford man, we just couldn't have had that. The driver had a seizure and basically ghost rode the thing into the whole pile of us. Now, he told the cops that he remembered seeing the bike when he was coming over the bridge, which would be pretty rare for an epileptic seizure (there's usually some amnesia), so I think that he wasn't paying attention for whatever reason, looked up, panicked, and then had his seizure. I told my wife that next time to make sure she hires someone who can come through in the clutchLaughing

Anyway, he basically got me in the left leg, sheered the left peg off the bike and got me in the back of my arm with the wing mirror, and tweaked my back pretty good in the whole process as well, as I was falling over the van hit the Tahoe. I'm secretly hoping for early onset Alzheimer's, because the whole scene of the initial WTF moment when I was hit and the Tahoe being picked up and shoved forward with that much force (it was an impressive thing to have a front row seat to for sure) and the sudden realization of what just happened is basically on non-stop repeat in my head now. Collapsed the front of the van all the way to the windshield.

So Tahoe guy and myself were both admitted to hospital, I was there for 8 days and became familiar with some terms you really don't want to be familiar with, such as "degloved." Don't look it up. And if you've heard that when they do skin grafts that the donor site hurts worse than the patched site, that is 2000% completely true (that was another 5 days in the hospital, too). I'm recovering nicely though. MXers are tough and fast healers, apparently. Hopefully I'll regain enough strength and flexibility to ride again, both in the dirt and out. Working pretty hard on it.
r_outsider
11/11/2014 7:20pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Nothing says neutered more then a guy driving a minivan
You know, I just remembered the saddest vanity plate ever. It was on a Honda minivan, said "V8 MAN."
71Fish
11/12/2014 5:43am
Holy crap, I'm glad you are here to write. That is one of my biggest fears riding a motorcycle. A lot of times my wife is on the back.

You didn't get degloved did you?
PalerBlue
11/12/2014 8:45am
Will you be suing the guy who had the seizure?
Because if he had a history of epilepsy he absolutely deserves to be taken to the cleaners for driving with that condition. This could easily been SO much worse.
r_outsider
11/13/2014 5:37am
71Fish wrote:
Holy crap, I'm glad you are here to write. That is one of my biggest fears riding a motorcycle. A lot of times my wife is...
Holy crap, I'm glad you are here to write. That is one of my biggest fears riding a motorcycle. A lot of times my wife is on the back.

You didn't get degloved did you?
Got me to the bone, behind my knee and down the inside of my lower leg. Even the after pics are ugly.
As for the fear, this kind of thing lingers in the back of most of our minds, I think. I was always prepared to deal with the consequences of my own actions, but being at the mercy of other people is a bit unsettling. Look at it this way, though. The odds of another Motodriver being smoked from behind by another minivan driving epileptic are now astronomical. Things do happen on the road, but I'm the guy who got it, and I'll be back next year. Not sure if I'll ever ride in commuter traffic again, though. Too many people not doing what they should be doing all at the same time.
r_outsider
11/13/2014 5:48am
PalerBlue wrote:
Will you be suing the guy who had the seizure? Because if he had a history of epilepsy he absolutely deserves to be taken to the...
Will you be suing the guy who had the seizure?
Because if he had a history of epilepsy he absolutely deserves to be taken to the cleaners for driving with that condition. This could easily been SO much worse.
Wasn't his first rodeo, as it were. I have lawyered up. If nothing else, I'm out 2 months of work that I'd like back...

How do these guys keep their licenses, anyway? I know they lose them for a year after an episode, but now that I've done as much reading on the subject as I have, the stats are frightening. It really is a matter of when, not if, and everybody else on the road is at the mercy of a medical condition that can never be cured. Even just controlling it over the long term is apparently pretty tricky.They can't get a commercial license, why should a private vehicle be any different? They are victims of an unfortunate condition, but there's plenty of others out there whose medical problems render them unfit for what really is an inherently dangerous task.
Uncle Tony
11/13/2014 5:55am
The driving laws must be different in Canada, I once dated a girl with epilepsy and she couldn't get a drivers license in New York state, ever, I feel bad, I thought this thread was suppose to be funny with the minivans piled up, I didn't know you got seriously hurt
IWreckALot
11/13/2014 8:38am
Damn that's nuts man.

I had a sport bike at one time but all the fears of not knowing what your surroundings can do to you eventually got to me. I sold the bike a couple of years after buying it and I fortunately never even laid it over. I'll stick to the dirt. Granted, it's all dangerous, but at least my fate is in my hands moreso than on the road I believe.
Titan1
11/13/2014 10:30am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Hey titan1 please park the mini van you ride moto for gods sake, just kidding brother safety first!
LOL..tell me about it. It looks really funny when I've got my 450 on a trailer behind the minivan...

I was ready to buy my wife an Tahoe, I had a great one all picked out and ready to do...and she didn't want it, she wanted the Toyota Sienna minivan...
Cygnus
11/13/2014 11:36am
Damn that sounds terrible. Hope ya come back 100% and are back on a bike when your healed up.
IWreckALot
11/13/2014 3:34pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
LOL..tell me about it. It looks really funny when I've got my 450 on a trailer behind the minivan... I was ready to buy my wife...
LOL..tell me about it. It looks really funny when I've got my 450 on a trailer behind the minivan...

I was ready to buy my wife an Tahoe, I had a great one all picked out and ready to do...and she didn't want it, she wanted the Toyota Sienna minivan...
I would have done some underhanded stuff to keep from having to buy a minivan over a Tahoe.
PalerBlue
11/13/2014 10:54pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
LOL..tell me about it. It looks really funny when I've got my 450 on a trailer behind the minivan... I was ready to buy my wife...

IWreckALot wrote:
I would have done some underhanded stuff to keep from having to buy a minivan over a Tahoe.
What's the attraction of the pickup trucks for you chaps?. I really don't get it.
Villapoto could drive anything he wants to take his bike to the track here in Europe, so what's he using? A VAN.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - I hope you nail him so hard he can never afford to buy another vehicle to risk other people's lives again.
Uncle Tony
11/14/2014 6:22am
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
PalerBlue wrote:
What's the attraction of the pickup trucks for you chaps?. I really don't get it. Villapoto could drive anything he wants to take his bike to...
What's the attraction of the pickup trucks for you chaps?. I really don't get it.
Villapoto could drive anything he wants to take his bike to the track here in Europe, so what's he using? A VAN.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - I hope you nail him so hard he can never afford to buy another vehicle to risk other people's lives again.
No pick up trucks for me paler, I'm a city boy and just got a 2015 ford transit, and titan1 if you were my buddy I would ask you too go park on the other side of the pits! Just joking man,it's all good
r_outsider
11/14/2014 6:57am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
Yes. I've been very fortunate that my wife likes things like Firebirds and Mustangs, and we figured out what caused children the first time, so we can still have one of those cars. However, 2 of her friends bought Ford Flexes, she's been giving those some rather uncomfortably long looks...but at least it's still not a Sienna!
r_outsider
11/14/2014 7:21am
PalerBlue wrote:
What's the attraction of the pickup trucks for you chaps?. I really don't get it. Villapoto could drive anything he wants to take his bike to...

I'll have a crack at explaining this one. They're basically a carryover from the old days.

First, you have to understand that trucks are basically the logical extension of the old horse drawn farm wagon (stay with me now...). You also need to understand that, until fairly recently, North America as a whole was quite a bit more rural than Jolly Olde, and even now there's way more space. People in the old days would take the wagon into town once every few months to sell stuff they'd grown and made on the farm and load up with supplies, so you needed a vehicle with some capacity. When Model T's started springing up everywhere, people started converting them for basically the same use, and on it went. Eventually, North America got a lot more urbanized, but there's still quite a bit of rural culture left.

The other reason is, when you come right down to it, they're very handy vehicles to have. The modern ones are very comfortable places to be for a long time, there's room for them for the most part on the roads, and fuel is less expensive over here. You can toss whatever you need in them, and they can pull a lot of weight. Plus, when you get right down to it, if you live where some of us do, in winter, you almost need to own a high ground clearance 4x4 vehicle just to get out of the driveway some days. I know several blokes from Blighty (mostly from the Midlands, don't know why that is), all of them switched to trucks eventually, because they're largely the right vehicle for the situation. But a truck wouldn't make a lick of sense in England.
Titan1
11/14/2014 8:33am
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
PalerBlue wrote:

Trucks just make more sense for a lot of Americans lifestyles, honestly. I spend on a lot of my time in very rural areas...that means dirt roads, hauling stuff, pulling trailers, plus it snows a lot in Utah so the 4 wheel drive is nice (the wife's sienna is all wheel drive though).

If I lived in a city or a heavily urbanized area...there would be no need for a truck, at all.

I get the trucks...what I don't get are the 6 in lift, 38 inch tires, trucks...those, I just don't get...but to each his own.
Titan1
11/14/2014 8:35am
IWreckALot wrote:
PalerBlue wrote:

Uncle Tony wrote:
No pick up trucks for me paler, I'm a city boy and just got a 2015 ford transit, and titan1 if you were my buddy I...
No pick up trucks for me paler, I'm a city boy and just got a 2015 ford transit, and titan1 if you were my buddy I would ask you too go park on the other side of the pits! Just joking man,it's all good
For the record, my usual bike hauler is a VW Golf TDI...So I seldom have the Sienna when I'm riding.

But I will say this about the sienna...those power sliding doors...awesome!
11/14/2014 8:41am
something must be going around cause i was the ford meat in a chevy and jeep sandwich just the other day.
no injuries to anybody though so that is good.

only pain i have is a slowwwwwwwwwwww ins company

Post a reply to: Watch for minivans!

The Latest