Very Nice, for a very sad situation

flarider
1/12/2011 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:06pm
Monks make, donate casket for youngest victim in Arizona shooting
By Eric Marrapodi and Kara Devlin

A group of Trappist monks in Iowa have donated a handmade casket to bury 9-year-old Christina Green, the youngest victim in the Saturday attack that killed six and wounded 13 others in Arizona.

Sam Mulgrew, the general manager of Trappist Caskets in Peosta, Iowa, told CNN a family representative of the Greens reached out to the monks at New Melleray Abbey near Dubuque after her death. The custom-made casket arrived in Tucson, Arizona, Wednesday morning.

"We didn't want to send an adult coffin that would be too big, we wanted something just for her," said Mulgrew, who is not a monk but who manages the 11-year-old casket business that is part of the abbey.

The casket, crafted from red oak, was made especially for 9-year-old Christina, Mulgrew said. She died after a gunman opened fire at a constituents event held by U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was critically wounded in the shooting.

Christina's funeral is scheduled for Thursday in Tucson.

The lid of the casket was inscribed with her name, date of birth and death, and a cross. The family also will receive five small keepsake crosses hewn from the same wood as the casket, Mulgrew said.

Before the casket was sent from the monastery in Iowa to Arizona, the monks gave the casket a special blessing inside their chapel on Tuesday.

The monks are Roman Catholic and are part of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance. They make and sell custom caskets with "reverence for nature," according to the Trappist Caskets website.

"Along with prayer and study, our casket ministry is an extension of our sacred work. We labor quietly with our hands in support of our life of simplicity," says a statement on the website.

Mulgrew said when a child dies it hits the monks particularly hard. He said they don't like to sell children's caskets; instead, a "child casket fund" they started often covers the costs.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/12/monks-make-donate-casket-for-y…
|
PD441
1/12/2011 8:34pm
Yes, very nice.

I just cannot imagine the pain......
fcr
1/12/2011 8:36pm
PD441 wrote:
Yes, very nice.

I just cannot imagine the pain......
Something I would not wish on anyone.
jmar
1/12/2011 8:49pm
The whole thing is a really bad deal, but when a nine year old dies in a situation like this it becomes even worse.
tunedlength
1/12/2011 8:50pm
flarider wrote:
[b]Monks make, donate casket for youngest victim in Arizona shooting[/b] By Eric Marrapodi and Kara Devlin A group of Trappist monks in Iowa have donated a...
Monks make, donate casket for youngest victim in Arizona shooting
By Eric Marrapodi and Kara Devlin

A group of Trappist monks in Iowa have donated a handmade casket to bury 9-year-old Christina Green, the youngest victim in the Saturday attack that killed six and wounded 13 others in Arizona.

Sam Mulgrew, the general manager of Trappist Caskets in Peosta, Iowa, told CNN a family representative of the Greens reached out to the monks at New Melleray Abbey near Dubuque after her death. The custom-made casket arrived in Tucson, Arizona, Wednesday morning.

"We didn't want to send an adult coffin that would be too big, we wanted something just for her," said Mulgrew, who is not a monk but who manages the 11-year-old casket business that is part of the abbey.

The casket, crafted from red oak, was made especially for 9-year-old Christina, Mulgrew said. She died after a gunman opened fire at a constituents event held by U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was critically wounded in the shooting.

Christina's funeral is scheduled for Thursday in Tucson.

The lid of the casket was inscribed with her name, date of birth and death, and a cross. The family also will receive five small keepsake crosses hewn from the same wood as the casket, Mulgrew said.

Before the casket was sent from the monastery in Iowa to Arizona, the monks gave the casket a special blessing inside their chapel on Tuesday.

The monks are Roman Catholic and are part of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance. They make and sell custom caskets with "reverence for nature," according to the Trappist Caskets website.

"Along with prayer and study, our casket ministry is an extension of our sacred work. We labor quietly with our hands in support of our life of simplicity," says a statement on the website.

Mulgrew said when a child dies it hits the monks particularly hard. He said they don't like to sell children's caskets; instead, a "child casket fund" they started often covers the costs.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/12/monks-make-donate-casket-for-y…
That's a tough one to read..
God Speed kid.

The Shop

jndmx
1/12/2011 8:53pm
Absolutely every parents worst nightmare, I don't even like to think about it.

God Speed.
slowvet
1/13/2011 8:53am
Hard to fathom the pain. Personally I'd think I'd lose it completly.
72kiteboarder
1/13/2011 8:55am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2011 8:56am
Very nice of them.
twizzler
1/13/2011 3:29pm
Very respectable thing to do. Kudos to them!
TeamGreen
1/13/2011 3:47pm
Man, this lil' girl's tragic end brings me to tears...born on 9/11...jus'...sad. Really sad.

Good post.

Thanks.
Palinzombie
1/13/2011 6:46pm
Arizona redeemed itself today with the real memorial for the little girl. They stopped in the middle of a memorial song and played twinkle twinkle little star. Not a dry eye in the house. Quite a contrast to the circus pep rally of yesterday.There may be hope yet for this country.
flarider
1/14/2011 5:17am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2011 5:19am
I don't know what news you guys read or watch, but I know about all the victims and the news talks about all of them.

GMA just did a piece on Dorwin Stoddard and his wife and how they were childhood boyfriend/girlfriend, then later got married, each had four kids (he, 4 boys, her, 4 girls) and then their spouses died and they moved back to Tucson, re-met and fell in love again, and put 80,000+ miles on their RV traveling the US

I have seen things done about each victim at one point or another

So, I don't know what news you guys are watching or ignoring
JPT
1/14/2011 5:33am
Iowa folks are good people.
Racer92
1/14/2011 5:49am
Thats a nice gesture. Ive hand dug graves for babies and its humbling. One baby we buried, nobody showed but me, my best friend and the preacher. Puts your world into perspective real fast when kids are involved.
RocketLab
1/14/2011 1:34pm
Just so sad.....

Post a reply to: Very Nice, for a very sad situation

The Latest