Vegas to Denver ideas

TailSoHard
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 8:48am
So last year I went to Vegas for work for the first time, came home, and then left for Denver two weeks later for vacation. Vegas was fun, but I felt like I didn't have enough time to see everything. Colorado is awesome and I try to get back there every year to see friends, but two separate vacations that close together is too much...

I get a call from my buddy yesterday telling me he's going to Vegas for work in late August (yeah, it'll be hot, I know). Said if I want to, I can use the extra bed in his hotel room since his wife and kids can't make it. Then he mentioned taking extra time off to spend a whole week in Vegas, which would be fun, but we decided it'd be more fun to drive somewhere from there.

So, we decided to drive from Vegas to Denver. We'll do three/four days in Vegas and then have roughly 5 days to get to Denver to fly home on Labor day.

What do I have to see/do in between the two? I've already put the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon on the list, but other than that I need ideas. Zion National Park is in there somewhere I know, so that will most likely be another stop, but I'm not sure what the must-see parts of central/eastern Utah and western Colorado are...
|
JBernard_401
5/17/2016 1:55pm
How much time do you have to kill. As in, how many hrs out of the way do you want to go to hit an attraction?
TailSoHard
5/17/2016 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 2:23pm
How much time do you have to kill. As in, how many hrs out of the way do you want to go to hit an attraction?
Well I believe it's about an 11-hour drive straight through, so if we spread that out over 4 days, we'll only have a few hours of driving per day. Probably wouldn't want to get more than about an hour off the route, but it's all up in the air at this point. It probably just boils down to whether said attraction is worth going out of the way for...

We also don't have a route planned yet, so we can take a few different routes to get there depending on what we wanna see/do.

What did you have in mind?
JBernard_401
5/17/2016 2:30pm
Well grand canyon is a bit out of the way from vegas but I def wouldnt want to miss that. I was going to say shoot up into SLC and go thru the Wasatch and Green River canyon, then dinosaur national park. But thats probably way to north for you.
If you go up thru Zion area or Bryce, then youre pretty much forced to get on the 40 and shoot E towards Denver. But thats not a bad thing, there are several stops that are awesome you could hit on your way to denver off the 40. I'll draw you up a google maps plot and post it here a bit later of what I would do.
Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
5/17/2016 2:38pm
I-15 to Hurricane Utah, exit 16 go east to Hwy 9 take it through Zion. Turn north on 89 after going through Zion to Hwy 12 (this is one of the most scenic roads in America) you will go through Red Canyon turn right and go through Bryce. Come out of Bryce and proceed East on 12, take your time and pull off at some of the scenic pull outs.........you won't be alone.

Take Hwy 12 to Torrey, turn right and go through Capitol Reef on your way to Hanksville. Turn right out of Hanksville on to Hwy 95, this will take you through Hite and over the Colorado River to Blanding, Utah with lots of opportunities to stop at stunning scenery. From Blanding you will go north on Hwy 191, when you get to Monticello you will have a decision to make. You can turn right and head to Cortez, Colorado then over to Durango and up Hwy 550 (million dollar hwy) up through Silverton, Ouray and such. Or go north out of Monticello on 191 to the intersection with Hwy 46 turn right on 46 over La Sal Pass.......and into Colorado from here.

Once in Colorado you will want to go on Hwy 50 at least to Poncha Springs.

Just a suggestion.........

The Shop

Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
5/17/2016 2:42pm
A little video I took of the Hite area last fall,

TailSoHard
5/17/2016 2:52pm
Well grand canyon is a bit out of the way from vegas but I def wouldnt want to miss that. I was going to say shoot...
Well grand canyon is a bit out of the way from vegas but I def wouldnt want to miss that. I was going to say shoot up into SLC and go thru the Wasatch and Green River canyon, then dinosaur national park. But thats probably way to north for you.
If you go up thru Zion area or Bryce, then youre pretty much forced to get on the 40 and shoot E towards Denver. But thats not a bad thing, there are several stops that are awesome you could hit on your way to denver off the 40. I'll draw you up a google maps plot and post it here a bit later of what I would do.
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. In all reality, I'll have nothing but time to waste in Vegas while my buddy is going to conferences and seminars, so Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon are do-able for me in an afternoon right from Vegas, then just skip those on the way to Denver...

And yeah, as much as I'd like to get up to SLC/Ogden, it's just a little too out of the way for this trip...

If it helps, I will most likely be camping; I don't have to make it to any hotels or anything so small town stops are just fine by me.
TailSoHard
5/17/2016 2:54pm
Utrider wrote:
I-15 to Hurricane Utah, exit 16 go east to Hwy 9 take it through Zion. Turn north on 89 after going through Zion to Hwy 12...
I-15 to Hurricane Utah, exit 16 go east to Hwy 9 take it through Zion. Turn north on 89 after going through Zion to Hwy 12 (this is one of the most scenic roads in America) you will go through Red Canyon turn right and go through Bryce. Come out of Bryce and proceed East on 12, take your time and pull off at some of the scenic pull outs.........you won't be alone.

Take Hwy 12 to Torrey, turn right and go through Capitol Reef on your way to Hanksville. Turn right out of Hanksville on to Hwy 95, this will take you through Hite and over the Colorado River to Blanding, Utah with lots of opportunities to stop at stunning scenery. From Blanding you will go north on Hwy 191, when you get to Monticello you will have a decision to make. You can turn right and head to Cortez, Colorado then over to Durango and up Hwy 550 (million dollar hwy) up through Silverton, Ouray and such. Or go north out of Monticello on 191 to the intersection with Hwy 46 turn right on 46 over La Sal Pass.......and into Colorado from here.

Once in Colorado you will want to go on Hwy 50 at least to Poncha Springs.

Just a suggestion.........
Dang, that is quite the route! Would you... Would you like, wanna come with us?! Grinning And perhaps have an extra bike for me to ride?! The ride in that video looks incredible.

Some very very good ideas in there, thank you very much for the help!
Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
5/17/2016 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 3:12pm
You're welcome! and depending on the dates it's a possibility. My wife is from Saline, Michigan I asked her where Beer City was and she just gave me that look like I was buying another motorcycle.

If you don't want to do Zion's (crowded, $25 entrance fee, slow traffic) you can continue up I-15 to Cedar City and take Hwy 14 east out of there to Hwy 89. In my opinion Hwy 14 is extremely underrated as far as scenery and coolness go.

If you're camping you won't have ANY problems finding places to pitch a tent, just a matter of how much serenity you will get to enjoy. Late August, things are slowing down a little, but it's hotter than hell so bring plenty of water.

I just noticed something, the picture in my avatar is in Casto Canyon, right off of Hwy 12 about 8 miles from Hwy 89.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/17/2016 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 3:50pm
Pikes Peak, Lo do in Denver, Rockies games are fun. If you get over by Golden you could take the tour of the brewery.

Boulder is a cool town! You have any birkenstocks and patchouli?
5/17/2016 9:18pm
SEE A CONCERT AT RED ROCKS AMPITHEATER IN DENVER.

Best music venue on earth.
TailSoHard
5/18/2016 6:16am
Utrider wrote:
You're welcome! and depending on the dates it's a possibility. My wife is from Saline, Michigan I asked her where Beer City was and she just...
You're welcome! and depending on the dates it's a possibility. My wife is from Saline, Michigan I asked her where Beer City was and she just gave me that look like I was buying another motorcycle.

If you don't want to do Zion's (crowded, $25 entrance fee, slow traffic) you can continue up I-15 to Cedar City and take Hwy 14 east out of there to Hwy 89. In my opinion Hwy 14 is extremely underrated as far as scenery and coolness go.

If you're camping you won't have ANY problems finding places to pitch a tent, just a matter of how much serenity you will get to enjoy. Late August, things are slowing down a little, but it's hotter than hell so bring plenty of water.

I just noticed something, the picture in my avatar is in Casto Canyon, right off of Hwy 12 about 8 miles from Hwy 89.
Oh cool! Grand Rapids was named Beer City USA a year or two back... She should know where GR is Grinning

I don't mind paying to get into parks, but if there's an option to just get a pass for all of them and save some money I'd probably do that. I'm sure there's no shortage of incredible scenery for us to see so it'll all be incredible to me!

What's the temperature like at night around those parts? Should I worry about it getting too cold at night?
TailSoHard
5/18/2016 6:19am
Pikes Peak would be awesome too, I've always wanted to see it. That just depends on which way we take to get into Colorado...

Red Rocks is amazing too, I went there last year and saw Pretty Lights and it blew my mind the first time I stepped into the ampitheatre. I'd love to make it back this year, but I don't know if it's gonna make it on the schedule... It would all depend on when we get to Denver, because we may only have one night before we fly home...
TailSoHard
5/18/2016 6:28am
TripleFive wrote:

For you Colorado guys, what way would you use to get to Denver? Would you just take I-70 through Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Vail, Keystone, etc? Or would you rather go through to the south? Durango, Telluride, Montrose, Salida, Pueblo...

It's so tough to tell from the photos which regions look more amazing; they're all so beautiful to me that it's tough to make any sort of decisions lol
twnorton
5/18/2016 7:26am
TripleFive wrote:

TailSoHard wrote:
For you Colorado guys, what way would you use to get to Denver? Would you just take I-70 through Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Vail, Keystone, etc...
For you Colorado guys, what way would you use to get to Denver? Would you just take I-70 through Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Vail, Keystone, etc? Or would you rather go through to the south? Durango, Telluride, Montrose, Salida, Pueblo...

It's so tough to tell from the photos which regions look more amazing; they're all so beautiful to me that it's tough to make any sort of decisions lol
I-70 would be the easiest way to get through the state. very pretty drive too. Make a trip to RMNP while you are in the area. Trail Ridge Road has to be the most beautiful scenery in the US.
TailSoHard
5/18/2016 7:32am
twnorton wrote:
I-70 would be the easiest way to get through the state. very pretty drive too. Make a trip to RMNP while you are in the area...
I-70 would be the easiest way to get through the state. very pretty drive too. Make a trip to RMNP while you are in the area. Trail Ridge Road has to be the most beautiful scenery in the US.
I've been to RMNP twice now, and I agree, it's beautiful. We'll be in the SW part of the state the whole time this time, which I haven't seen yet, so that'll be cool. I'd also like to possibly stop by Keystone and do some downhill mountain biking, so I'm pretty excited about that. In all reality, it's all amazing compared to what I have here in Michigan, so I really can't go wrong...
Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
5/18/2016 8:25am
TailSoHard wrote:
Oh cool! Grand Rapids was named Beer City USA a year or two back... She should know where GR is :lol: I don't mind paying to...
Oh cool! Grand Rapids was named Beer City USA a year or two back... She should know where GR is Grinning

I don't mind paying to get into parks, but if there's an option to just get a pass for all of them and save some money I'd probably do that. I'm sure there's no shortage of incredible scenery for us to see so it'll all be incredible to me!

What's the temperature like at night around those parts? Should I worry about it getting too cold at night?
Cool, well ya she knows where Grand Rapids is, but she has lived out here for 30 years and I get a kick out of tugging on her chain about places back there every once in awhile.

I believe you can buy an annual park pass, but I don't know if it's transferable between the parks. Both Zion and Bryce are gated and fees apply. Capitol Reef is drive through on Hwy 24, but there are places to stop and take things in.

The temps at night shouldn't be too bad, it is HIGH desert country though, most of the elevation along there is 6 - 8000 ft with a few blasts higher than that. There will probably be some monsoonal storms passing through that time of year, so be observant of flash flood areas and the like. In the middle of that video above, there was an area where the road had been flooded over, and that was in October, which is a little late around here for that.

As to crossing Colorado, I would definitely go lower then up. I-70 is a pretty freeway and everything, but in my ever so humble opinion and with the time you have available, I would go through Cortez, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Montrose, Gunnison over Monarch and that way. If you had the time and inclination doing a loop over to Pagosa and up Wolf Creek Pass, then up through Creed and Lake City is amazing! Little 2 lane road go over an 11,000+ ft pass and drop into the cool little town of Lake City. That would pretty much take all of one day though.
peelout
5/18/2016 8:28am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2016 8:35am
Moab is a must, bro. you can rent a mountain bike, jeep, Razr... all would be awesome to kill the time one day. a lot of other awesome ideas in here.

ps... if you make it to the Ogden area, i know a guy that will buy you a beer or 7
TailSoHard
5/18/2016 9:31am
peelout wrote:
Moab is a must, bro. you can rent a mountain bike, jeep, Razr... all would be awesome to kill the time one day. a lot of...
Moab is a must, bro. you can rent a mountain bike, jeep, Razr... all would be awesome to kill the time one day. a lot of other awesome ideas in here.

ps... if you make it to the Ogden area, i know a guy that will buy you a beer or 7
Moab is on the list for sure, it would be a sin for me to drive right by it without stopping to ride... I've been dreaming about it for years lol

I just might take you up on those beers, who knows, maybe I'll score big in Vegas and be able to just quit my job and drive around for awhile Woohoo
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/18/2016 9:32am
You mentioned SW Colorado. Pop in on Eli and see how he's doing! Tell him I sent ya!
TailSoHard
5/18/2016 9:44am
kzizok wrote:
You mentioned SW Colorado. Pop in on Eli and see how he's doing! Tell him I sent ya!
Man that would be so cool to meet him out there. Although I don't know if I'd be more excited to meet him or his dad...
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/18/2016 12:21pm
If you can hit Durango, Silverton and Ouray, I would definitely recommend doing that by way of the Million Dollar Highway. Like someone said before - then I think head north at Poncha Springs and you could go thru Leadville, Vail, Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Winter Park on your way to I70 and Denver.

Mesa Verde near Cortez and Durango is absolutely incredible.

Rent a downhill bike for the day at Keystone or Winter Park.

I personally think Mt. Evans is better than Pikes Peak, and it is closer to Denver if you are coming in on I70. Plus you are right in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, right near the Continental Divide. Not on the edge like Pikes.

I could go on forever, so maybe if you have certain things you want to do in Colorado - I could help narrow it down...
TailSoHard
5/18/2016 1:03pm
disbanded wrote:
If you can hit Durango, Silverton and Ouray, I would definitely recommend doing that by way of the Million Dollar Highway. Like someone said before -...
If you can hit Durango, Silverton and Ouray, I would definitely recommend doing that by way of the Million Dollar Highway. Like someone said before - then I think head north at Poncha Springs and you could go thru Leadville, Vail, Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Winter Park on your way to I70 and Denver.

I personally think Mt. Evans is better than Pikes Peak, and it is closer to Denver if you are coming in on I70. Plus you are right in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, right near the Continental Divide. Not on the edge like Pikes.

I could go on forever, so maybe if you have certain things you want to do in Colorado - I could help narrow it down...
Well I've been to Winter Park for the downhill stuff and it was awesome so I'd like to hit another spot this time to rent a bike. I've heard Keystone is the next best thing to Winter Park (if not better) so I think I'd like to spend a night camping somewhere between Leadville and Keystone and ride for a day...

I think our last day in Utah will be at Moab which will probably include a bunch of riding so our first day in Colorado will be sort of a rest day, maybe some hiking but that's about it.

So far my plan is to do day one in Zion/Bryce, day two in Moab, day three in Telluride/Ouray, day four around Leadville/Keystone, day five in Denver/flying home.

Thinking about renting bikes in Moab and Keystone, so the other two days (Zion and Telluride) are open for whatever sounds fun
twnorton
5/18/2016 3:01pm
disbanded wrote:
If you can hit Durango, Silverton and Ouray, I would definitely recommend doing that by way of the Million Dollar Highway. Like someone said before -...

If you go to Mt. Evans make sure you stop in Idaho Springs at the base of the Mtn and get Beau Jo's pizza. It is delicious.
5/18/2016 4:38pm
Regardless of whether or not you indulge in the devil's lettuce, stop in and check out a recreation marijuana shop. It's a sight to see, for sure.
JBernard_401
5/18/2016 4:55pm
twnorton wrote:
I-70 would be the easiest way to get through the state. very pretty drive too. Make a trip to RMNP while you are in the area...
TailSoHard wrote:
I've been to RMNP twice now, and I agree, it's beautiful. We'll be in the SW part of the state the whole time this time, which...
I've been to RMNP twice now, and I agree, it's beautiful. We'll be in the SW part of the state the whole time this time, which I haven't seen yet, so that'll be cool. I'd also like to possibly stop by Keystone and do some downhill mountain biking, so I'm pretty excited about that. In all reality, it's all amazing compared to what I have here in Michigan, so I really can't go wrong...
here's a route that will put you off of i70 not to far but still hit a lot of nice roads.
also, you mentioned winter park. We go there every year to ride dh, you have to check on the opening days because theres a good chance Keystone isnt even open yet for mtb.
keystone is not as much steep downhill sections. seems to be a lot more rooty/rocky all mountain stuff as far as i can tell.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+Vegas,+NV/Denver,+CO/@39.5061779,-1…
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/18/2016 5:26pm
Keystone opens June 10th this year, the day before Winter Park.

I would describe Winter Park as more of a roller coaster ride, where Keystone is just more gnarly and rocky in every regard. But also more epic!
TailSoHard
5/19/2016 6:17am
TripleFive wrote:
Regardless of whether or not you indulge in the devil's lettuce, stop in and check out a recreation marijuana shop. It's a sight to see, for...
Regardless of whether or not you indulge in the devil's lettuce, stop in and check out a recreation marijuana shop. It's a sight to see, for sure.
Hahaha, like I said earlier, I go to Colorado every year "to visit friends"

TailSoHard
5/19/2016 6:21am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 6:22am
here's a route that will put you off of i70 not to far but still hit a lot of nice roads. also, you mentioned winter park...
here's a route that will put you off of i70 not to far but still hit a lot of nice roads.
also, you mentioned winter park. We go there every year to ride dh, you have to check on the opening days because theres a good chance Keystone isnt even open yet for mtb.
keystone is not as much steep downhill sections. seems to be a lot more rooty/rocky all mountain stuff as far as i can tell.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+Vegas,+NV/Denver,+CO/@39.5061779,-1…
That's pretty much what I was thinking too, except I'd hit Moab and then skip Grand Junction to hit Telluride, then up through Montrose, Delta, and Hotchkiss.

If I make it the rest of the way to Twin Lakes however, should I turn south like you recommended towards Buena Vista, or head north towards Leadville?

And I'd be there in late August, so I would hope they'd be open still lol
TailSoHard
5/19/2016 6:24am
twnorton wrote:
If you go to Mt. Evans make sure you stop in Idaho Springs at the base of the Mtn and get Beau Jo's pizza. It is...
If you go to Mt. Evans make sure you stop in Idaho Springs at the base of the Mtn and get Beau Jo's pizza. It is delicious.
By the time we get there I'll probably be ready for some decent food! I'll put that on the list of places to stop! Thanks!
TailSoHard
5/19/2016 6:42am
disbanded wrote:
Keystone opens June 10th this year, the day before Winter Park. I would describe Winter Park as more of a roller coaster ride, where Keystone is...
Keystone opens June 10th this year, the day before Winter Park.

I would describe Winter Park as more of a roller coaster ride, where Keystone is just more gnarly and rocky in every regard. But also more epic!
Are there shuttle options anywhere outside the parks? I don't necessarily need to go ride at the ski resorts if there are other places you guys recommend...

Post a reply to: Vegas to Denver ideas

The Latest