Vacation Suggestions

yak651
Fantasy
168th
6/8/2013 5:26am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2013 4:58pm
Looking for some vacation suggestions for my wife and I. We are in our early 40's and like to be outside, hiking and she also likes artsy stuff so I can handle that for a couple of days. I have two weeks of vacation, the week of the 4th of July and the week after. Budget of approximately $2-3k, but could be more to see something interesting. We've been kinda stumped on what to do, so looking for ideas. We're from WI if that would make a difference. Thought about driving to the east coast to see Boston/New York/Vermont areas, also thought about Grand Canyon or Yellowstone park areas, figure Grand Canyon may be a little warm this time of year. One other thing she wants to see are the Sequois (sp?) trees. Any recommendations??
|
kongols
6/8/2013 5:45am
We drove from Cape Cod to Maine all the way to Canada near the Atlantic coast. Best trip I had during my time in USA. It's beautiful in Maine near Atlantic Ocean.
WhKnuckle
6/8/2013 6:05am
There are lots of great places, but Bar Harbor Maine is my favorite. It's a little crowded around that time, but there are several other small towns like Southwest Harbor that aren't crowded at all. And right in the middle of the island is a big National Park with more hiking and natural beauty than you can absorb. It's a very subtle beauty - not like the Rockies or someplace that almost assaults you with stunning views. Acadia National Park is the kind of place where you hike down a trail beside a beautiful rocky stream, see all the lush green ferns and lichen growing everywhere, and discover that the trail leads to a secluded beach where you can sit for hours and watch otters playing in the gently undulating swells. Then you can go to Otter Cliffs and see a 400 foot rock cliff dropping into a too-blue-to-describe Atlantic and you'll occasionally see whales out there blowing mist high in the air. The people who live there are some of the most down to earth, friendly people I've ever come across. We love it so much we're seriously considering retiring there. It's the epitome of a peaceful, tranquil, unpretentious existence. I just signed up to run a marathon there in October just so I can immerse myself in the autumn foliage. I love big mountains, love the Rockies, but when I go to Bar Harbor, I kind of feel like my soul lives there.
PaleBlue
6/8/2013 6:13am
kongols wrote:
We drove from Cape Cod to Maine all the way to Canada near the Atlantic coast. Best trip I had during my time in USA. It's...
We drove from Cape Cod to Maine all the way to Canada near the Atlantic coast. Best trip I had during my time in USA. It's beautiful in Maine near Atlantic Ocean.
Did you visit Rockport on Cape Ann in Mass.? I lived on the waterfront on the harbour there for few months. Don't miss the summer crowds but the view each morning from the bedroom window was something special!

The Shop

motosmith
6/8/2013 6:26am
I would stay far away from the Grand Canyon this time of year. It was 111 degrees last week.
6/8/2013 7:01am
For what you are looking for, Vancouver, Whistler, and Victoria B.C. would be ideal in my opinion.
level
6/8/2013 9:01am
East everybody goes to Florida. It's hard to beat the thousands of miles of beautiful beaches along the coast.
Mr. G
6/9/2013 8:40am
That's the spirit. Take a thread about vacationing and add something really negative.
Mr. G
6/9/2013 9:20am
Keep a happy thought.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
6/9/2013 10:01am
Have you ever replied to a thread without inserting a link?! Wtf?

Give your opinion to the question asked and then shut the fuck up...
APLMAN99
6/9/2013 10:06am
Priest Lake Idaho is fantastic, but most of the good cabins are probably booked up close to a year in advance.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
6/9/2013 10:49am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2013 10:50am
I am going to take my boys on a mini vacation up to Mt Rushmore, we will just go for three days and its only a five hour drive and lots of stuff to do around Rapid city and Custer SD. Just the wife and I like to go to Vegas but four days is my limit there.
Bytor
6/9/2013 12:32pm
Mt Rushmore is a must see. Took my first two daughters way back when. I need to take the whole family again.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
6/9/2013 4:22pm
The top of the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff are over 7,000 feet, so not too hot (although the sun will definitely feel hot compared to Wisconsin). If you intend to hike down into the canyon at all it will be hot and strenuous. Then again, I live here so my idea of hot and yours might be different. If you come to AZ in the summer, take a camelbak and SPF 30+ with you everywhere you go. Really, spring and fall are the best times for the GC.

Florida in the summer? Yeah, if you like bugs and heat/humidity that keep your clothes stuck to you like saran wrap.
NP301
6/9/2013 4:46pm
yak651 wrote:
Looking for some vacation suggestions for my wife and I. We are in our early 40's and like to be outside, hiking and she also likes...
Looking for some vacation suggestions for my wife and I. We are in our early 40's and like to be outside, hiking and she also likes artsy stuff so I can handle that for a couple of days. I have two weeks of vacation, the week of the 4th of July and the week after. Budget of approximately $2-3k, but could be more to see something interesting. We've been kinda stumped on what to do, so looking for ideas. We're from WI if that would make a difference. Thought about driving to the east coast to see Boston/New York/Vermont areas, also thought about Grand Canyon or Yellowstone park areas, figure Grand Canyon may be a little warm this time of year. One other thing she wants to see are the Sequois (sp?) trees. Any recommendations??
Ask Obama.
NP301
6/9/2013 4:47pm
Colorado, the mountains are really nice from what I've heard Whistling
Choppy
6/9/2013 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2013 5:30pm
So many beautiful places to visit in America from the Keys in Florida, to Catalina Island in California to beautiful Maine. All great places to keep the wife happy and yourself entertained.
newmann
6/9/2013 5:59pm
Since I have to cram everything I to a weekend I'm considering flying to Maui to eat at Mammas Fish House. I enjoyed it that much....
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
6/9/2013 6:32pm
You can lighten up huh?!
yak651
Fantasy
168th
6/10/2013 6:23am
Thanks for the suggestions. Defintely not going to Florida...may lean to driving towards Mt Rushmore. Would definitely hit up Red Bud, the wife wouldn't say no to it, but it's one of the tracks I already took her to a couple of times and would like to hit up something different. Was thinking Southwick but heard you can't see much with the fencing but it would be nice to say I was able to see the last race there.
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
6/10/2013 7:50am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2013 7:51am
Probably a bit more of a extreme vacation then what you're looking for( it's in Finland ).
But show this place to the woman,it's pretty neat.
http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/resort/igloo-village

And they even got ORV 2 wheel stuff during the summer.
"Enduro Motocross Safari"
http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/activities/summer-safaris
Utrider
Fantasy
1501st
6/10/2013 10:42am
Nashville, had so much fun in that town. Drive down Broadway at midnight with the windows open in the car and hear awesome music of all types. Park the car, walk down Broadway and just pop in to a few joints and hang out. Nashville is not just about country music, there are very talented artists from every musical genre just trying to get their foot in a door.

The countryside is beautiful, great food, friendly folks good times.

The wife and I flew out there, with a room and a rental car for a long weekend for under a grand. It is much more relaxed than say, Vegas and if you dig good music I would say better talent.

Rushmore is great, if you don't go on a bike or a convertible you will miss half of it. There is so much above the header of your car that you don't see there.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
6/10/2013 10:37pm
yak651 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Defintely not going to Florida...may lean to driving towards Mt Rushmore. Would definitely hit up Red Bud, the wife wouldn't say no...
Thanks for the suggestions. Defintely not going to Florida...may lean to driving towards Mt Rushmore. Would definitely hit up Red Bud, the wife wouldn't say no to it, but it's one of the tracks I already took her to a couple of times and would like to hit up something different. Was thinking Southwick but heard you can't see much with the fencing but it would be nice to say I was able to see the last race there.
We are going to Mt Rushmore thurs, I will let you know how it was.
TX24
6/11/2013 10:06am
I've been to Mt Rushmore many times during Sturgis. I would do this. After you leave Rushmore continue South on Rt 244.

Take this to a left on 87 (Needles Highway) Down 87 a bit is a really nice stop by a lake. Continue on 87 and then take 16 into Custer. You can then take 385 up to Crazy Horse and or the Custer SP game loop to see Buffalo.

When your done in Custer, this is my favorite part of the whole area. Take 16 back East of where you came in on 87 to
Alternate 16 "Iron Mountain road" You drive through short tunnels that they cut the tops out of trees on the other end. This gives great different views of Rushmore. There also these bridges called Pigtails. It takes you back to Keystone.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/10/2013 4:58pm
Went up to Mt Rushmore for three days in June, Stayed in Rapid City and was surprised how much cool stuff there was to do. We spent less than an hour at Mt Rushmore as it look just like all the pictures so it was OK but Reptile gardens and Bear country USA were both great we also hit a few caves and the crazy cosmos area and had a great time. Went out to eat both Friday and Sat night about 7pm at Texas Road house and Chilies and did not have to wait to be seated some you cant do in Denver, you have a reservation or you don't eat. All in all a good close vacation and the Walmart's have a gun selection as good as some gun stores not the NO guns sold at Walmart in Denver bullshit.

Post a reply to: Vacation Suggestions

The Latest