Traveling thru Europe

rpoint116
Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 2:31am
My Wife & I are planning our 1st Europe trip next September.

Tentativly we will be flying into Geneva, driving clockwise thru Northern Italy & N/W France for two weeks.

We are more of the "off the beaten path" type of travelers. We may stop by Venice & definitely hit Monaco.

Neither of us speak a foreign language. My main concern is basic communication, ie: food, lodging, etc...

Any other tips, recommendations?

Anymore browsing websites, descriptions & pictures are not what they seem.

THX!
|
Barrett57
9/19/2015 2:19pm
Don't worry about the language barrier, as long as you make an effort to speak the language most people will bend over backwards for you. Just the basics, like Ciao and bonjour goes a long way, you'll always be able to get by.

It's a very, very interesting place, you'll have a blast. Smile
9/19/2015 4:09pm
Barrett57 wrote:
Don't worry about the language barrier, as long as you make an effort to speak the language most people will bend over backwards for you. Just...
Don't worry about the language barrier, as long as you make an effort to speak the language most people will bend over backwards for you. Just the basics, like Ciao and bonjour goes a long way, you'll always be able to get by.

It's a very, very interesting place, you'll have a blast. Smile
as long as you make an effort to speak the language most people will bend over backwards for you.

unless you're talking to French speaking ppl.
Barrett57
9/19/2015 5:03pm
as long as you make an effort to speak the language most people will bend over backwards for you.

unless you're talking to French speaking ppl.
Lol, guessing your not from the French speaking part of Belgium Wink

To be honest I've always found them alright, I've spent about 6 months in France, and the only people who ever pissed me off were from my own country, the British.

9/19/2015 5:07pm
Barrett57 wrote:
Lol, guessing your not from the French speaking part of Belgium ;) To be honest I've always found them alright, I've spent about 6 months in...
Lol, guessing your not from the French speaking part of Belgium Wink

To be honest I've always found them alright, I've spent about 6 months in France, and the only people who ever pissed me off were from my own country, the British.

What gave that away? Whistling

The Shop

steed 2.0
9/20/2015 5:33am
the official language in The United States of Europe aka European Union is English Shocked
flarider
9/22/2015 8:23am
Couple simple things....yes, make some effort to speak their languages, even simply "hello" and "Thank you" goes a long way. They hate Americans who show up and expect them to just magically understand English. Just like you might say "Speak English, you're in America," they feel the same way. At the same time, many do speak SOME English, especially the younger people, and they do enjoy "trying out their english" on Americans. So if you're polite and greet them in their language, and ask, in their language, if they speak english, it helps. Just assuming they do, walking up to them and rattling stuff off in english, can annoy them, understandably.
Also, when speaking english, avoid slang and contractions....no "won't" 'don't" "can't" "couldn't"...too confusing. Speak full words, slowly (but not like they're mentally handicapped) and clearly.
Start making it a habit here, to take there, to say hello to store keepers and restauranteurs. Especially in France, itis common and expected, to greet the store keeper "bon jour" "bonsoir" (learn the difference) as you enter, because traditionally, stores and restaurants are family owned and your entering is akin to entering their home, and you would never enter someone's home without saying "hello," would you? Learn to say hello as you enter and goodbye as you leave businesses, it's good manners, and the French (especially) are big on tradition and manners. It's just rude to walk into a store, ignore the shop keeper and walk out without never saying a word...how would you feel? Smile, say hello "in their language" and you will find them very friendly.
Be mindful of how you dress, not just for personal security, but so you don't stand out like a sore thumb. Sometimes it's so easy to pick out the American's because they either dress like slobs or dress loudly. Look at some photos and magazines from Europe and get a sense of their style, and try to mimic it as best you can with your own wardrobe. Again, it's the attempt to acclimate and blend in, rather than being an "obnoxious American" that will get you better service and help.

Lastly, one phrase I have always found the most important to learn, and can help you get away with almost anything is "where is?"

In German, it's "wo ist?" (in German, it's how it looks....woah ist")
In French it's "où est" (google translate will pronounce for you)

Geneva is basically, French, and crazy stupid expensive. But, make sure you go to the church, climb to to top of the tower, beautiful view, and also into the catacombs below....creepy cool.
I suppose your route is out Geneva, towards Mount Blanc and the Mount Blanc tunnel, through to Courmayer? If so, make sure you take the cable car up the Aguille du Midi (sp?).....it was closed for repair when I was there, but takes you almost to height of Mount Blanc, which is right near it...that is in town of Chamonix, just past the tunnel. The tunnel is freaky long, and has very strict rules to follow. It lets one car go every few seconds, and you MUST maintain "two blue lights" (light on wall) between you and car in front of you at all times. If not, you'll get a huge ticket on the other side. They're crazy strict, but it's because the tunnel is so long, miles and miles, that any crash could be deadly. The tunnel is so damn long, you start swearing it will never end, but it is super cool....you see all these safety shelters, and escape tunnels and all kinds of stuff, because the old tunnel did have a very deadly accident, so they rebuilt it will all kinds of safety in mind. You're a bunch of miles into a tunnel, and there's a fiery smokey crash, you can't escape it....it's too far, and the tunnel becomes a wind tunnel/vacuum of smoke (depending on which side you are) due to the heat. Read up on it. It's worth doing. Jacob Saylor and I, when in Geneva for SX, drove over there, when through tunnel, had real Italian pizza in Courmayer at Tunnel du Pizza (or something like that) and drove back.

Just do your research, and learn a few key phrases, and you'll do fine, and just be mindful to not stick out...blend, blend, blend
tvo314
9/23/2015 7:22am
I found the French to be very hospitable and friendly outside of Paris. Inside the city there's definitely some arrogance and less patience for foreigners or really just non- Parisians. Actually most of France, as I understand it, can't stand Parisians because of this attitude.

Since you'll be in northern Italy, Slovenia is right there. It's one of Europe's most underrated destinations. Beautiful landscapes, and a very dynamic capital with great people. Actually I generally prefer Eastern Europe to the west. Croatia and Hungary are also worth coming back for, if you don't have the time this trip.
Utrider
Fantasy
1521st
9/23/2015 8:51am
flarider wrote:
Couple simple things....yes, make some effort to speak their languages, even simply "hello" and "Thank you" goes a long way. They hate Americans who show up...
Couple simple things....yes, make some effort to speak their languages, even simply "hello" and "Thank you" goes a long way. They hate Americans who show up and expect them to just magically understand English. Just like you might say "Speak English, you're in America," they feel the same way. At the same time, many do speak SOME English, especially the younger people, and they do enjoy "trying out their english" on Americans. So if you're polite and greet them in their language, and ask, in their language, if they speak english, it helps. Just assuming they do, walking up to them and rattling stuff off in english, can annoy them, understandably.
Also, when speaking english, avoid slang and contractions....no "won't" 'don't" "can't" "couldn't"...too confusing. Speak full words, slowly (but not like they're mentally handicapped) and clearly.
Start making it a habit here, to take there, to say hello to store keepers and restauranteurs. Especially in France, itis common and expected, to greet the store keeper "bon jour" "bonsoir" (learn the difference) as you enter, because traditionally, stores and restaurants are family owned and your entering is akin to entering their home, and you would never enter someone's home without saying "hello," would you? Learn to say hello as you enter and goodbye as you leave businesses, it's good manners, and the French (especially) are big on tradition and manners. It's just rude to walk into a store, ignore the shop keeper and walk out without never saying a word...how would you feel? Smile, say hello "in their language" and you will find them very friendly.
Be mindful of how you dress, not just for personal security, but so you don't stand out like a sore thumb. Sometimes it's so easy to pick out the American's because they either dress like slobs or dress loudly. Look at some photos and magazines from Europe and get a sense of their style, and try to mimic it as best you can with your own wardrobe. Again, it's the attempt to acclimate and blend in, rather than being an "obnoxious American" that will get you better service and help.

Lastly, one phrase I have always found the most important to learn, and can help you get away with almost anything is "where is?"

Geneva is basically, French, and crazy stupid expensive. But, make sure you go to the church, climb to to top of the tower, beautiful view, and also into the catacombs below....creepy cool.
I suppose your route is out Geneva, towards Mount Blanc and the Mount Blanc tunnel, through to Courmayer? If so, make sure you take the cable car up the Aguille du Midi (sp?).....it was closed for repair when I was there, but takes you almost to height of Mount Blanc, which is right near it...that is in town of Chamonix, just past the tunnel. The tunnel is freaky long, and has very strict rules to follow. It lets one car go every few seconds, and you MUST maintain "two blue lights" (light on wall) between you and car in front of you at all times. If not, you'll get a huge ticket on the other side. They're crazy strict, but it's because the tunnel is so long, miles and miles, that any crash could be deadly. The tunnel is so damn long, you start swearing it will never end, but it is super cool....you see all these safety shelters, and escape tunnels and all kinds of stuff, because the old tunnel did have a very deadly accident, so they rebuilt it will all kinds of safety in mind. You're a bunch of miles into a tunnel, and there's a fiery smokey crash, you can't escape it....it's too far, and the tunnel becomes a wind tunnel/vacuum of smoke (depending on which side you are) due to the heat. Read up on it. It's worth doing. Jacob Saylor and I, when in Geneva for SX, drove over there, when through tunnel, had real Italian pizza in Courmayer at Tunnel du Pizza (or something like that) and drove back.

Just do your research, and learn a few key phrases, and you'll do fine, and just be mindful to not stick out...blend, blend, blend
Dave, thanks so much for taking the time to post this information up for all to see.

It's great having your contributions to the board.........again.

How's that weight problem going for you?
flarider
9/23/2015 9:03am
tvo314 wrote:
I found the French to be very hospitable and friendly outside of Paris. Inside the city there's definitely some arrogance and less patience for foreigners or...
I found the French to be very hospitable and friendly outside of Paris. Inside the city there's definitely some arrogance and less patience for foreigners or really just non- Parisians. Actually most of France, as I understand it, can't stand Parisians because of this attitude.

Since you'll be in northern Italy, Slovenia is right there. It's one of Europe's most underrated destinations. Beautiful landscapes, and a very dynamic capital with great people. Actually I generally prefer Eastern Europe to the west. Croatia and Hungary are also worth coming back for, if you don't have the time this trip.
If you think of Paris and Parisians as NY and New Yorkers, you'll get along fine

Paris is Manhattan

If you can deal with and survive Manhattan, just think and do same in Paris, but make sure you dress well, Parisians dress well.

I saw a panhandler in a suit...it was older, and a little dirty, but by God, he was dressed well and in a suit, panhandling.

Like Manhattan, how you dress labels you with the locals

tvo314
9/23/2015 3:07pm
tvo314 wrote:
I found the French to be very hospitable and friendly outside of Paris. Inside the city there's definitely some arrogance and less patience for foreigners or...

flarider wrote:
If you think of Paris and Parisians as NY and New Yorkers, you'll get along fine Paris is Manhattan If you can deal with and survive...
If you think of Paris and Parisians as NY and New Yorkers, you'll get along fine

Paris is Manhattan

If you can deal with and survive Manhattan, just think and do same in Paris, but make sure you dress well, Parisians dress well.

I saw a panhandler in a suit...it was older, and a little dirty, but by God, he was dressed well and in a suit, panhandling.

Like Manhattan, how you dress labels you with the locals

Your comparison of Parisians to New Yorkers is exactly how I see it too. And yeah, they don't respect cargo shorts and sandals very much.
9/24/2015 6:38am
When in France ask people if they speak German. When they answer "no" reply with "Your welcome bitches"
rpoint116
9/30/2015 5:33pm
flarider wrote:
Couple simple things....yes, make some effort to speak their languages, even simply "hello" and "Thank you" goes a long way. They hate Americans who show up...

Excellent feedback! Thank you.

I knew our itinerary would change after more research.

This is not set in stone, but probably 95% sure this is our new plan:

Fly into Barcelona, spend a couple of days there.

Drive to Monaco, 2 days.

Drive to Venice, 2 days.

Drive to Munich, 3 days.

Fly to London & spend 3 days there.

Fly back to Phoenix

While driving in Europe we will stop often & check out small towns & sights.
philG
10/2/2015 2:37pm
rpoint116 wrote:
Excellent feedback! Thank you. I knew our itinerary would change after more research. This is not set in stone, but probably 95% sure this is our...
Excellent feedback! Thank you.

I knew our itinerary would change after more research.

This is not set in stone, but probably 95% sure this is our new plan:

Fly into Barcelona, spend a couple of days there.

Drive to Monaco, 2 days.

Drive to Venice, 2 days.

Drive to Munich, 3 days.

Fly to London & spend 3 days there.

Fly back to Phoenix

While driving in Europe we will stop often & check out small towns & sights.
Barcelona is a great place, make sure you go to Montjuic Park , and do a little research first so you can drive round the old F1 track that runs right past the Olympic Stadium.

The coast drive from Barca to Monaco, is cool but it takes an age on the old road , pick some places to stop off, but avoid Marsellies and Toulon like the plague, they have no redeeming features, but Nice, Port Grimaud , and Monaco are all cool , but pretty expensive.

Not been to Venice , but my team mate is there now for a race and says its awesome.

Munich is a place we havent got to yet , but Germany is cool, lots to do , spend loads of time there Berlin is nice with loads to do , beaches by the lake and stuff.

London... well , it has stuff for sure , just depends what you are into culture wise really, 3 days isnt long in any of those places , but you will have fun in all of them
Olson
10/3/2015 2:31am
As many others have said before. Don't worry about the language. Just be patient and polite. My native language is Swedish and it's only spoken in one country and I've managed to get around the world without any problems. The food part. Most restaurants offer an english menu and/or pictures of the dishes. It's more likely you will be understood in a restaurant than for example in McDonald's. Even if you're not sure what's on the menu, try it. You'll at least learn something. If you book lodging in advance, print the booking info to show the cab driver and just hand it over at the desk at the hotel. Write down your adress of the hotel when you head out. Directions are international. I once walked four blocks in Beijing with a group of people trying to explain the directions in Chinese. Didn't understand a word but I made it to where I was heading.

Post a reply to: Traveling thru Europe

The Latest