Today's work ethic (or lack thereof)

Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 7:57pm
I never set the world on fire, but I did work hard, full-time for the last 31 years. Everything from mowing lawns to flipping burgers to retail to waiting tables for finally a job with a tie and a 401K. Basically along the way I did whatever it took.
I honestly think people don't want to work anymore. This is even without getting into broader social issues, welfare etc. I am talking about "working" people.

Ex 1- horrible retail help. Especially white kids. Everywhere you go its "how can I not help you?"
Ex 2- trying to get my lawn mowed. Even pro lawn agencies won't call back. Tried 4-5. Even talked verbally to 2. They don't call back or respond. Local web forums have people looking, but zero local kids available.
Ex 3- Finally find someone to do a little painting. Everything on CL is too many $$$- so hire my dad-in-law's friend. Redneck dude shows up on a Sat. morning. I show him the job and he says "OK- so I guess we're tag-teaming this?"
I am like "No, you see I write the check and go do something else. You do the work.." He looked disappointed.

I am turning into Grumpy Old Man trying to get people to do basic shit.
|
reded
7/16/2014 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 2:03pm
Kids today are fucked. They've been given everything their entire lives without having to work and expect it to keep happening even after high school. They want the best of everything while exerting the least amount of effort possible in order to get it.

One of many examples;

My wifes daughter just graduated high school and is dumb as a fucking post. She asks questions about things that I'm sure I learned in the 5th or 6th grade. Thankfully she doesn't live with us but that doesn't stop her from calling everyday and bitching about how her "summer" job is cutting into "HER" time.

I told her a while back that she needs to screw her head on straight, get it figured out that her free handouts are over and find a way to get a good job or her "summer" job will turn into a "lifetime" job.

My remark was met with foul looks from both females.

Kids today are fucked.

In 10 years we'll all be fucked.
Titan1
7/16/2014 2:31pm
I blame the parents.
Sandberm
7/16/2014 3:51pm
One of the biggest problems I see here in Washington State is over regulation of anyone under the age of 18. There's too many rules in regards to what and when someone under the age of 18 can do. My step-son put in over 70 applications at various minimum wage jobs when he turned 16, most told him they don't hire anyone under 18 because of regulations.

For example, I dont think someone under the age of 18 is allowed to work past 10:00 on a week night which when I was a teenager in the 80's a lot of people I was in school with worked till 11 at fast food places. Also, those under 18 are not allowed to operate some types of equipment such as a cardboard compressor at a supermarket.

Those that do get jobs under the age of 18 are usually working for a family member. Its best IMO to go outside the family to get a job. When working for a family member I think there is more of a laxed attitude and a sense of being able to get away with being lazy.

Anyways, tough to learn a good work ethic when your not even allowed to work.

Jakes Dad
7/16/2014 4:46pm
You are exactly right "under 18". Jake has put in a half dozen applications, very restricted hours. This summer he's working for one of my subcontractors learning more than putting cans on a shelf. He really didn't want to do construction work be he actually looks forward to going to work.

The Shop

motogeezer
7/16/2014 4:55pm
Titan1 wrote:
I blame the parents.
Yep.

Well raised kids understand that "chasing the dream" involves more than just chasing it.

My daughter is a full-time college student / part time retail worker.

She got married last year, to a guy who who did three combat tours in five years with the USMC to earn money for college.

After his first year of college, he was awarded the Presidential Scholarship, which is a full-ride for four years, so he gets to bank all that Marine Corps money.

He still goes to work every day.

My son is an avid rock climber and managed to get a full-time job at a rock climbing gym.

He's hoping to go pro, but has a back-up plan (kinda like his old man's music career).

All my nieces and nephews and all my kid's friends (with only a few exceptions) seem to have their shit pretty well together.

I don't think we're fucked at all.

scooter5002
7/16/2014 6:55pm
Well, all I can say is, don't get a job in the oil patch. It will make you want to buy a gun, and do one of two things. Shoot EVERYONE around you, or blow your own fuckin brains out. In an environment where there are two people available for every twenty jobs out there, no one gives a shit about doing the job properly. IF you get fired, you'll be working the next day, somewhere else. The attitude around this area is the worst I've ever seen, but it's pretty much any place I go now, it seems. Every once in a while, I run into someone who does a great job, and takes pride in it. It's refreshing to see, but all too uncommon.

I have a friend working down in Stanley, North Dakota, where I started hauling down into in 2012. Same thing down there, with all the guys he works with. About 2 guys you'd trust to be in a one mile radius of when working, and the rest just operate like complete assholes. One guy actually threatened him, because it was clear the dispatcher was giving him work, over this guy, who was senior man. Apparently, because my friend did as he was asked, without argument and safety issues, he was rewarded with extra loads, unlike the dipshit. The dipshit came up while Craig was on the cel phone, and didn't realize it. He slipped the phone into his shirt pocket, and the dispatcher overheard the entire conversation, threats and all. Waited til Craig was off lease, called the guy into the dispatch office, and fired him on the spot. Some pretty fucked up people in this world.
7/16/2014 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 7:58pm
Sandberm wrote:
One of the biggest problems I see here in Washington State is over regulation of anyone under the age of 18. There's too many rules in...
One of the biggest problems I see here in Washington State is over regulation of anyone under the age of 18. There's too many rules in regards to what and when someone under the age of 18 can do. My step-son put in over 70 applications at various minimum wage jobs when he turned 16, most told him they don't hire anyone under 18 because of regulations.

For example, I dont think someone under the age of 18 is allowed to work past 10:00 on a week night which when I was a teenager in the 80's a lot of people I was in school with worked till 11 at fast food places. Also, those under 18 are not allowed to operate some types of equipment such as a cardboard compressor at a supermarket.

Those that do get jobs under the age of 18 are usually working for a family member. Its best IMO to go outside the family to get a job. When working for a family member I think there is more of a laxed attitude and a sense of being able to get away with being lazy.

Anyways, tough to learn a good work ethic when your not even allowed to work.

That's interesting. No laws like that around here, especially in Virginia. They should let the kids work. When I was 16 I had one job that went past 11 and another operating machinery. So I guess I would have violated 2 Washington laws.

I put it on the information age. etc.People are above getting their hands dirty.

Post a reply to: Today's work ethic (or lack thereof)

The Latest