This whole Ryan Lochte silliness........

APLMAN99
I've been seeing him being condemned by virtually everyone and every outlet, but it just seems like more anti-America dog piling than anything else.

I think that everyone can agree that Lochte gives off the impression of being a world class d-bag, maybe even better at that than swimming. Not a huge debate there.

But other than a couple of areas that have those weird "energy consumption" cheap speeding fines, does anyone else actually have to pay law enforcement a cash "fine" without receipt on the spot? I certainly never have, nor have I ever heard of it in other states.

If an armed person held me at gun point and demanded cash for an "infraction" that I hadn't been tried and found guilty of, I'd certainly call that robbery........

This is more an example of how f-ed up the Brazilian legal system appears to be than a problem with Lochte and Co.
|
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
8/20/2016 12:00pm
I thought they made the hold up bit up, after trashing a gas station? that is the last report i had heard here anyway,

APLMAN99
8/20/2016 1:21pm
scott_nz wrote:
I thought they made the hold up bit up, after trashing a gas station? that is the last report i had heard here anyway,

From what I've heard, they were ordered to pay money by an actual officer. Their original story was that they were robbed by people impersonating police officers, and if someone in a uniform did that to me I'd probably believe them to be fake officers also.

Some of their stories definitely were embellished, though.....
kongols
8/20/2016 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2016 2:06pm
scott_nz wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
From what I've heard, they were ordered to pay money by an actual officer. Their original story was that they were robbed by people impersonating police...
From what I've heard, they were ordered to pay money by an actual officer. Their original story was that they were robbed by people impersonating police officers, and if someone in a uniform did that to me I'd probably believe them to be fake officers also.

From what I read they were asked to pay for damages by gas station security.
There was nothing anti-american. They made up story and went for a fame. I bet brasilians are pissed, they have actual problems there. They don`t need some drunk asses to make up shit about their country. They`ve made a great effort to keep everyone safe and so far it`s been a success.
kongols
8/20/2016 2:08pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
From what I've heard, they were ordered to pay money by an actual officer. Their original story was that they were robbed by people impersonating police...

It is better to ask foreigners to pay right away. No court. If they leave the country, you won`t see them again. Latvia has the same problem with drunken brits.

The Shop

NV825
Fantasy
2740th
8/20/2016 2:36pm
It's like Mexico, you pay the officers the cash you have and be on your way. I sure has hell wouldn't want to go through the judicial process of these types of countries.

As for Lochte, definitely a dbag move. How they thought the real info wouldn't come out is hilarious.
APLMAN99
8/20/2016 2:38pm
scott_nz wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

kongols wrote:
From what I read they were asked to pay for damages by gas station security. There was nothing anti-american. They made up story and went for...
From what I read they were asked to pay for damages by gas station security.
There was nothing anti-american. They made up story and went for a fame. I bet brasilians are pissed, they have actual problems there. They don`t need some drunk asses to make up shit about their country. They`ve made a great effort to keep everyone safe and so far it`s been a success.
It's pretty clear from every angle that they weren't "asked" to pay for damages. When a gun is brandished and a badge is displayed while requesting cash, you aren't being "asked".

Lochte is a douche, most probably, and he did embellish the story a bit and omitted the part about stopping to use the bathroom, etc.

But the gist of his story is true. Again, the Brazilian government side doesn't actually dispute that the men were basically held hostage until they paid a ransom to leave.

As for asking foreigners to pay immediately, I understand what you are saying but that sort of thinking is how the corruption occurs.

Let's say you are visiting my place of employment in the States. Let's say you spill some of your drink, "damaging" the carpeting. Should any member of my staff be allowed to hold you captive at gun point until you gave them whatever arbitrary figure they came up with so that you are allowed to leave? Obviously not. Not only could they set the "damage" figure as high as they want, there is no way to know that the actual business or owner would receive all or any of the monies paid. And it would be easy to pocket the money and still call the authorities to press charges against you.

I imagine that the guys involved started out being the foolish punks that most of us have been at least a time or two while out with "the boys". After having someone with a badge pointing a gun at them and demanding whatever cash they had, things got real, very fast.

Definitely a cultural thing, as a private security guard here demanding money from you in this manner would land that Rent-a-Cop in prison for a few years.......
LoudLove
8/20/2016 3:22pm
Which begs the question: why did Lochte & Co speak to the press at all? You banged up a restroom, met some local justice, paid the fine, the end. No need to falsify the details, or even talk about it with anyone.

He's not guilty of vandalism, or even a victim of a shake-down. Lochte's crime is being a dumbass, which sometimes carries a heavy penalty. In his case, endorsement dollars.
ns503
8/20/2016 3:36pm
I had a big long reply typed then hit a wrong button.

So ditto LoudLove...
JPT
8/20/2016 3:42pm
LoudLove wrote:
Which begs the question: why did Lochte & Co speak to the press at all? You banged up a restroom, met some local justice, paid the...
Which begs the question: why did Lochte & Co speak to the press at all? You banged up a restroom, met some local justice, paid the fine, the end. No need to falsify the details, or even talk about it with anyone.

He's not guilty of vandalism, or even a victim of a shake-down. Lochte's crime is being a dumbass, which sometimes carries a heavy penalty. In his case, endorsement dollars.
Agree.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
8/20/2016 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2016 4:45pm
I had a friend that was ticketed in Texas for speeding, then had to go get a money order to pay it straight away due to being on a overseas drivers licence, (edit he was driven to get a money order)

a that officer would have been carrying a gun, does this make it any different? when your already in the wrong, as these athletes were for damaging the service station, you dont have a leg to stand on,
hillbilly
8/20/2016 7:14pm
A swimmer lies kinda and the media is in a uproar ,the democratic presidential nominee lies daily and the media is so far up her ass they passed the turds and are swimming in Tabasco,but,she lied about that to.
borg
8/20/2016 7:29pm
"The first casualty of war, is the truth."

Being forced to pay for vandalism, on the spot, by the police, is not common in the US. It is in South American countries. It may have appeared to be a holdup at the time. Reserve judgement until more facts come in.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
8/20/2016 8:14pm
hillbilly wrote:
A swimmer lies kinda and the media is in a uproar ,the democratic presidential nominee lies daily and the media is so far up her ass...
A swimmer lies kinda and the media is in a uproar ,the democratic presidential nominee lies daily and the media is so far up her ass they passed the turds and are swimming in Tabasco,but,she lied about that to.
Nice throw to politics
ns503
8/20/2016 8:39pm
You didn't see his interview? From the next day? 'I had a gun against my forehead' - or words to that exact effect.
APLMAN99
8/20/2016 11:35pm
borg wrote:
"The first casualty of war, is the truth." Being forced to pay for vandalism, on the spot, by the police, is not common in the US...

Being forced to pay for vandalism, on the spot, by the police, is not common in the US. It is in South American countries. It may have appeared to be a holdup at the time. Reserve judgement until more facts come in.
As it turned out, it wasn't "the police", it was the equivalent of Paul Blart with a firearm.

About the speeding tickets, I remember that there were a few places in the country that passed some "energy consumption" fines after raising their speed limits when the federal 55MPH limit was rolled back. Been a long time, but I think that Montana and Nevada both had those for at least a little while. You could pay the officer at the time of citation (receipt provided!) and the ticket didn't count as a 'moving violation' for insurance purposes, etc.

If you chose not to pay, you weren't detained at gunpoint but rather you were allowed to contest the allegation in court.

Those are nothing like a private security guard pointing a gun at you and demanding all the cash you have with you. That is being robbed, nothing more. Just because Lochte is a jerk doesn't change that.

jamma10
8/21/2016 2:51am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 2:58am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I've been seeing him being condemned by virtually everyone and every outlet, but it just seems like more anti-America dog piling than anything else. I think...
I've been seeing him being condemned by virtually everyone and every outlet, but it just seems like more anti-America dog piling than anything else.

I think that everyone can agree that Lochte gives off the impression of being a world class d-bag, maybe even better at that than swimming. Not a huge debate there.

But other than a couple of areas that have those weird "energy consumption" cheap speeding fines, does anyone else actually have to pay law enforcement a cash "fine" without receipt on the spot? I certainly never have, nor have I ever heard of it in other states.

If an armed person held me at gun point and demanded cash for an "infraction" that I hadn't been tried and found guilty of, I'd certainly call that robbery........

This is more an example of how f-ed up the Brazilian legal system appears to be than a problem with Lochte and Co.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/19/ryan-lochte-olympic-tale-gold-medals-white-privilege-rio

I think its a shame its been blown so far out of proportion tbh. But Lochte and his buddies are the ones at fault for causing the initial incident and then lying about it to the Worlds media.
borg
8/21/2016 7:00am
borg wrote:
"The first casualty of war, is the truth." Being forced to pay for vandalism, on the spot, by the police, is not common in the US...

APLMAN99 wrote:
As it turned out, it wasn't "the police", it was the equivalent of Paul Blart with a firearm. About the speeding tickets, I remember that there...
As it turned out, it wasn't "the police", it was the equivalent of Paul Blart with a firearm.

About the speeding tickets, I remember that there were a few places in the country that passed some "energy consumption" fines after raising their speed limits when the federal 55MPH limit was rolled back. Been a long time, but I think that Montana and Nevada both had those for at least a little while. You could pay the officer at the time of citation (receipt provided!) and the ticket didn't count as a 'moving violation' for insurance purposes, etc.

If you chose not to pay, you weren't detained at gunpoint but rather you were allowed to contest the allegation in court.

Those are nothing like a private security guard pointing a gun at you and demanding all the cash you have with you. That is being robbed, nothing more. Just because Lochte is a jerk doesn't change that.

Telling the whole truth from the beginning might have saved him all this bad pr. But that would have to include admission of impropriety which is something that coddled, asshat celebrities just don't do. He's admitting it now, but it doesn't save him as far as I am concerned. Many people eventually express regret and sorrow........after they're caught.
mxb2
8/21/2016 7:09am
He is an idiot.
lestat
8/21/2016 11:05am
Lochte is the poster boy for the "ugly American" syndrome .
Firefly47
8/21/2016 11:54am
Ryan Lochte after lying his ass off about being held up: "Oh, boys will be boys."
Gabby Douglas after not placing her hand over heart during the national anthem: "Deport her! She is a communist! Take away her gold!"
mxb2
8/21/2016 2:11pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Ryan Lochte after lying his ass off about being held up: "Oh, boys will be boys." Gabby Douglas after not placing her hand over heart during...
Ryan Lochte after lying his ass off about being held up: "Oh, boys will be boys."
Gabby Douglas after not placing her hand over heart during the national anthem: "Deport her! She is a communist! Take away her gold!"
He is 32, fuk him. Spoiled athlete.
Rooster
8/22/2016 11:28am
Cops can pull you over in the US and legally seize your assets at the side of the road without charging you with a crime.

These guys were caught red-handed and asked to pay up (at gunpoint) for the damage they caused by armed security guards.

I'm having difficulty determining which country has a more fucked up legal system. Both ideas seem equally absurd.
FlaNard
8/22/2016 1:21pm
I've had an officer in Italy demand money from me on the spot for something I did wrong without realizing it.I had never heard of such a thing, had some serious words with the guy thinking it was a con (thank god someone who spoke Italian and English was nice enough to take the time to explain the situation to me) and I paid and continued on my trip. Shit happens. Lochte, who used to have a reality show, knows that nobody gives a shit about him compared to Poseidon's son Michael and tried to get his name in the news to extend his five minutes of fame after behaving like an entitled child and wanting to trash Brazil over the consequences he faced because he assumed everyone would believe it. Fuck that guy.
Cygnus
8/22/2016 1:34pm
NV825 wrote:
It's like Mexico, you pay the officers the cash you have and be on your way. I sure has hell wouldn't want to go through the...
It's like Mexico, you pay the officers the cash you have and be on your way. I sure has hell wouldn't want to go through the judicial process of these types of countries.

As for Lochte, definitely a dbag move. How they thought the real info wouldn't come out is hilarious.
Cost me 20$ when I spit on the sidewalk in Tijuana at 18. Half of what I had in my pocket.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
8/22/2016 1:48pm
NV825 wrote:
It's like Mexico, you pay the officers the cash you have and be on your way. I sure has hell wouldn't want to go through the...

Cygnus wrote:
Cost me 20$ when I spit on the sidewalk in Tijuana at 18. Half of what I had in my pocket.
My story is from Tijuana too. Coming back from a spring break trip at either 18 or 19 and we cut off an ambulance with his lights on to make our exit to get back to USA. Cop stops us and explains in broken english how he should take us down to the station. We say we have cash, he puts his clipboard in for us to put the cash inside the compartment, and then sent us on our way. We only had like $20 total together, good thing he caught us after we had spent a lot in Rosarito and Ensanada.
peelout
8/22/2016 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2016 2:53pm
LOL at anyone sticking up for Lochte in any way. what a fuckin' douche bag.

even his buddies that he was with said that none of that ever happened, that he was out of control and they had to intervene when security showed up. entitled little fuck-stick is what i see. and then to throw an entire country's police reputation down the shitter about some fabricated story? what an idiot.
peelout
8/22/2016 2:54pm
on my rides in Mexico i hide all my cash in a very very hard to find place (not my butthole). i carry about $100 in my accessible front chest pocket for cases like this. i've never had to pay anyone off, but if i did, most i would be down is $100.

Post a reply to: This whole Ryan Lochte silliness........

The Latest