Thinking about flying to London

pitbike502
Edited Date/Time 1/31/2012 12:45pm
i kind have always wanted to do a "Eurotrip" style vacation to london, and head out from there. Can anyone give me tips, ideas, suggestions? Is there a better place to go? It looks like a can get a $800 flight outta syracuse to London mid march, was thinking maybe renting or buying a cheap scooter to get around instead of backpacking or taxis to cover more ground efficiently. Id like to see France, and possibly Germany (I was there when I was younger while my dad was at the Big Red 1).

Any idea of how much a week of life would cost once there? Im not a very lavish person, id rather sleep in a crap hotel to use my funds to cover more of the country. But i do enjoy alcoholic beverages, and id like to taste the finer foods there (dinner mainly)
|
pitbike502
1/23/2012 10:07pm
also, i could be dumb (which is true) but if i could see an FIM race over there, that would be sick. I looked on their site, but i cant understand how they write their dates.. help please.
J.F.S
1/23/2012 11:09pm
For finer foods, go to Italy.
Jefro98
1/23/2012 11:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 11:48pm
London is cool but expensive for food and drinks. And I'm not sure about riding a scooter around that city.
Take a subway card for a few days and you'll be fine. They got a good subway system going there it's the cheapest way to get around and will take you anywhere.
Cheap hotels or hostels should not be a problem to find. Lots of students and backpackers visit the place.
The GP at Valkenwaard (Holland) is on April 9th so that might fit in your schedule.

The Shop

indy_maico
1/24/2012 5:00am
At Ace Cafe London we welcome all who share our passion, based upon the traditions of motorcycles, cars and rock n' roll.

This is your cafe, devised, designed and built by fellow petrolheads, so enjoy the ambience and make the most of the facilities and activities to ensure that its history lives on

The way of expressing oneself, the music and the machines
may have changed over the last decades, but the spirit
and motivation remains the same,individual and authentic

So set the wheels in motion and take a journey with us through
the unique Ace Cafe London experience!

http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/
yzthumpa
1/24/2012 6:06am
Be sure to watch the Hostel movies before you go! I made my kids watch Deliverance before we went canoeing. Once all the kids are out of the house, I'd love to do a Eurotrip with the wife.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/24/2012 9:25am
That is so funny Thumpa. I was on an Air France flight to Paris about a year ago and I was shocked when they played the in flight movie. It was one of those where they put it on the big screen and everyone watches the same movie. I still can't believe that the movie they decided to play was the movie "Taken". If I was a young girl on that plane traveling to Paris for vacation with my friends, I would have shit my pants.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/24/2012 9:27am
A week isn't a very long time Pitbike. Especially when you take a day to get there, a day to get ready to come back and a day to travel back. That leaves 4 days. Not very long. Try and make your trip at least 10 days.
Barrett57
1/24/2012 9:56am
In my opinion, if you want to see the real England, Warwickshire is the place to go.

Rolling, green countryside, stratford upon avon (shakespeares town), warwick (medieval town) and leamington spa (victorian) as an American im sure you would be welcome. And not far from birmingham. But a 3 hour drive down to Dover for the ferry to France.

Thats just me though. probably help that I live there though Cool
indy_maico
1/24/2012 10:03am
Barrett57 wrote:
In my opinion, if you want to see the real England, Warwickshire is the place to go. Rolling, green countryside, stratford upon avon (shakespeares town), warwick...
In my opinion, if you want to see the real England, Warwickshire is the place to go.

Rolling, green countryside, stratford upon avon (shakespeares town), warwick (medieval town) and leamington spa (victorian) as an American im sure you would be welcome. And not far from birmingham. But a 3 hour drive down to Dover for the ferry to France.

Warwick Castle. I was shocked when I was there to see a California redwood tree in the car park.

Read something inside the castle about it being a gift from some Duke to some Princess (or something!) from back in the 1800's.

Wasn't too impressed with the castle, though. A bit too Disney-Lite for my tastes.

Liked Arundel Castle better. Sitting there on the look-out, gazing out across the marshlands at the English Channel, you can just imagine waiting there for those continental bastards to hit the beach.
indy_maico
1/24/2012 10:07am
Barrett57 wrote:
In my opinion, if you want to see the real England, Warwickshire is the place to go. Rolling, green countryside, stratford upon avon (shakespeares town), warwick...

Best beer in England comes from nearby in Oxfordshire.

Hook Norton Bitter.

Nice!

Speaking of Oxfordshire, the old Covered Market is worth a visit. Then an hour and a half down the A34 to Salisbury for the cathedral and Stonehenge.
Barrett57
1/24/2012 10:15am
indy_maico wrote:
Warwick Castle. I was shocked when I was there to see a California redwood tree in the car park. Read something inside the castle about it...
Warwick Castle. I was shocked when I was there to see a California redwood tree in the car park.

Read something inside the castle about it being a gift from some Duke to some Princess (or something!) from back in the 1800's.

Wasn't too impressed with the castle, though. A bit too Disney-Lite for my tastes.

Liked Arundel Castle better. Sitting there on the look-out, gazing out across the marshlands at the English Channel, you can just imagine waiting there for those continental bastards to hit the beach.
Yeah, they have disneyed warwick castle. Its a shame really. Its run by the same people who run a load of theme parks unfortunatly.

Did you go to London when you were over here? What did you think?
indy_maico
1/24/2012 10:23am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 10:26am
Barrett57 wrote:
Yeah, they have disneyed warwick castle. Its a shame really. Its run by the same people who run a load of theme parks unfortunatly. Did you...
Yeah, they have disneyed warwick castle. Its a shame really. Its run by the same people who run a load of theme parks unfortunatly.

Did you go to London when you were over here? What did you think?
I used to work for Reynard Racing Cars in Bicester (later Brackley when they built BAR F1 there and moved everything up from Bicester) so I spent most of my time in the Midlands. I had a friend in Leicester, so I'd go up there to visit him and he took me to Birmingham to see the bike museum (the old one before it burnt down) and up to Donington (he worked in the restoration shop there for a bit)

If you want the full-on Fawlty Towers experience stay in Bicester at the Littlebury.

I would always spend a couple of days in London, as our freight forwarders were there and they'd look after me with my own driver. I liked London, but it is very expensive, and if I didn't have a driver, then I'd have to figure out the tube, as taxi's are pretty pricey.

I also worked for a company that was based in Swindon (Magic Roundabout!), so spent some time there. But even then I stayed on the week-end up near Brackley (Hinton-in-the-Hedges) with a friend and went out on his canal boat, which was pretty cool.

I love England, and miss going there. (I have been accused of being an Anglophile!)

Now with Dallara, though. So a trip to Italy is in my future!
eddie
1/24/2012 10:24am
My advice is to avoid England altogether and go to holland instead . The country is way nicer and the women are way hotter .
pitbike502
1/24/2012 10:33am
A week isn't a very long time Pitbike. Especially when you take a day to get there, a day to get ready to come back and...
A week isn't a very long time Pitbike. Especially when you take a day to get there, a day to get ready to come back and a day to travel back. That leaves 4 days. Not very long. Try and make your trip at least 10 days.
i was thinking that as well, but i have to juggle a bunch of things to make the time work.

yes thumpa, ive watched the Hostel movies, and chuckle about having that experience. I think I'd find myself in the club vandersexxx scenario more than anything haha.

thanks everyone for the ideas and tips. should i be looking into renting a car then? what would be the best way for me to travel about? the subway system seems good, but I cant imagine it covers much outside of england
indy_maico
1/24/2012 10:35am
pitbike502 wrote:
i was thinking that as well, but i have to juggle a bunch of things to make the time work. yes thumpa, ive watched the Hostel...
i was thinking that as well, but i have to juggle a bunch of things to make the time work.

yes thumpa, ive watched the Hostel movies, and chuckle about having that experience. I think I'd find myself in the club vandersexxx scenario more than anything haha.

thanks everyone for the ideas and tips. should i be looking into renting a car then? what would be the best way for me to travel about? the subway system seems good, but I cant imagine it covers much outside of england
For sure rent a car. But if you go to London, park it somewhere and take the tube. DO NOT try to drive around London!
Barrett57
1/24/2012 10:47am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 10:48am
indy_maico wrote:
I used to work for Reynard Racing Cars in Bicester (later Brackley when they built BAR F1 there and moved everything up from Bicester) so I...
I used to work for Reynard Racing Cars in Bicester (later Brackley when they built BAR F1 there and moved everything up from Bicester) so I spent most of my time in the Midlands. I had a friend in Leicester, so I'd go up there to visit him and he took me to Birmingham to see the bike museum (the old one before it burnt down) and up to Donington (he worked in the restoration shop there for a bit)

If you want the full-on Fawlty Towers experience stay in Bicester at the Littlebury.

I would always spend a couple of days in London, as our freight forwarders were there and they'd look after me with my own driver. I liked London, but it is very expensive, and if I didn't have a driver, then I'd have to figure out the tube, as taxi's are pretty pricey.

I also worked for a company that was based in Swindon (Magic Roundabout!), so spent some time there. But even then I stayed on the week-end up near Brackley (Hinton-in-the-Hedges) with a friend and went out on his canal boat, which was pretty cool.

I love England, and miss going there. (I have been accused of being an Anglophile!)

Now with Dallara, though. So a trip to Italy is in my future!
Sounds good, we used to spend most weekends watching the British GT and other series at places like Donnington park, silverstone and Brands Hatch before I found what an awesome sport motocross is.

Italy should be really good, im going there for a week on Sunday! My first time so it should intresting.
Rupert X
1/25/2012 3:43pm
I spent two visits in London and around England in the past year, mostly visiting my ill mom (RIP) - anyway, stay at this

little hotel in Finchley, near where I was raised as a tyke. Free Internet and breakfast - about $100 per night. That's

about a third of what you pay in London. 10 minute walk to the East Finchley tube station. Or 5 pounds by car service or bus.

20 minutes on the Tube (underground) to downtown (Picadilly Circus/ Oxford Circus, etc,,). Northern Line.

DO go to Camden Town, very interesting food, people, shtuff...you'll dig it...

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-finchley-united_kingdom-GB095

Email me , facebook or IM for any further way I can help. I love London....
Rupert X
1/25/2012 3:45pm
There was recently an Anthony Bourdain Layover episode devoted to London, watch that if you have the chance.

Don't believe the hype, tons of great British food available...and you already know the language.....sort of.

Cheers, amiigo.
pitbike502
1/25/2012 5:10pm
thanks Rup, Im making plans currently, and def going to check that hotel out

and by the way, what is the exchange ratio to the pound?
1/26/2012 4:14am
Oxford is a great place to visit the date here is written in order ie day/month/year .Check online and you'll find the British Championship dates etc,there's plenty around to do in the summer for a gearheadSmile

Ps your $1 will get you around £1.50, pretty easy to work prices out
ayearinmx
1/29/2012 11:18am
Oxford is a great place to visit the date here is written in order ie day/month/year .Check online and you'll find the British Championship dates etc,there's...
Oxford is a great place to visit the date here is written in order ie day/month/year .Check online and you'll find the British Championship dates etc,there's plenty around to do in the summer for a gearheadSmile

wrong way around there, $1 = £0.66 approx, so you're gonna be spending more.... way i always explain it to people, is that the $1 value menu at mcdonalds actually works out at $1.50, so essentially you get less for your money

quite frankly there is nothing to see above the watford gap..... except snow, rain, terraced houses, more rain, shakespeare, rain, coronation street, people you can't understand, rain, some mountains...... oh, and shitty weather Wink
1/29/2012 12:13pm
Oxford is a great place to visit the date here is written in order ie day/month/year .Check online and you'll find the British Championship dates etc,there's...

ayearinmx wrote:
wrong way around there, $1 = £0.66 approx, so you're gonna be spending more.... way i always explain it to people, is that the $1 value...
wrong way around there, $1 = £0.66 approx, so you're gonna be spending more.... way i always explain it to people, is that the $1 value menu at mcdonalds actually works out at $1.50, so essentially you get less for your money

quite frankly there is nothing to see above the watford gap..... except snow, rain, terraced houses, more rain, shakespeare, rain, coronation street, people you can't understand, rain, some mountains...... oh, and shitty weather Wink
My apologies,I meant the other way around,for every $1.50 you get £1,north of the Watford gap might see you past the Lake District and up as far as Scotland,I'm very fond of Edinburgh,beauty is in the eye of the beholder afterallWink
PressPassP
1/29/2012 12:22pm
ayearinmx wrote:
wrong way around there, $1 = £0.66 approx, so you're gonna be spending more.... way i always explain it to people, is that the $1 value...

What a ray of sunshine,I'm sure the The tourist board here could use guys like you Laughing
ayearinmx
1/29/2012 1:10pm
My apologies,I meant the other way around,for every $1.50 you get £1,north of the Watford gap might see you past the Lake District and up as...
My apologies,I meant the other way around,for every $1.50 you get £1,north of the Watford gap might see you past the Lake District and up as far as Scotland,I'm very fond of Edinburgh,beauty is in the eye of the beholder afterallWink
i like to think of the Watford Gap as that big huge wall in Game of Thrones..... Wink

Post a reply to: Thinking about flying to London

The Latest