Things to Do in San Diego

RandyRotta
Hey everyone, my wife and I are celebrating our first anniversary and took a small trip for the weekend to SD. We want to do some cool things around the city (nightlife, outdoors, museum, whatever really), but would prefer to do non-touristy things, or visit cool spots unique to the city, somewhere locals would go. We're not really interested in the amusement parks or anything. Any tips or ideas?
|
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
8/31/2017 5:33pm
Do a quick search, this topic has come up a good 10-15 times in the last couple years with a lot of good info.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/1/2017 10:56am
Keep in mind that whole city is a tourist attraction, so everything is a tourist trap, but...

La Jolla Cove. You can hit a classy place for dinner afterward or drive south to PB for some bar-style nightlife.
Speaking of nightlife, the gaslamp district in downtown is pretty cool.
K1 Speed in Carlsbad and Downtown.
The museums in Balboa Park are pretty cool, too. Right next door is the San Diego Zoo - best in the world.
There are cool mountain bike trails around Otay Lakes, Mission Trails, Lake Hodges, Rancho Penasquitos and Poway.
Nude beach north of La Jolla at Black's. There's a hiking trail down to it from the neighborhood just west of UCSD. Happy anniversary!

JPT
9/1/2017 11:22am
Tour the USS Midway. My wife did it because I wanted to but later said she really enjoyed it.
rpoint116
9/1/2017 12:28pm
Congrats on your anniversary!! We had our 20th back in March. Pretty awesome..

San Diego is way cool. I worked there a few times for a few months. We still visit 1-2 times a year.

Good ideas from Falcon & JPT.

I highly recommend staying at The Beach Cottages in Pacific Beach. Get the west wing motel room. They are 2nd & 3rd floor only. They are extremely reasonably priced for what you get. Sept-Oct probably $130 night, partial ocean view, ON THE BEACH. Free parking. Close to everything!! Rent bicycles next door. Stop by Kono's for breakfast.

The museums at Balboa park are cool. They are small & you can do a 3-4 museum pass for minimal $. Good area for a picnic.

Petco park is nice if you like MLB.

The Gaslamp area has come back around, good to check out.

USS Midway is awesome.

The Harbor Island area is nice. You might be able to get a sailboat charter.

Go to Point Loma National Monument/Park

Definitely hit McP's on Coronado Island.

Check out Point Loma Seafood Restaurant & Market

I'm not a fan of the Zoo. Way too big. Your too far away from the exhibits. SeaWorld is fun though off season.

ENJOY!!

The Shop

rubarb
9/1/2017 1:43pm
Carnitas Snack Shack in North Park.

Fish Tacos at Blue Water in Old Town.

Leucadia/Encinitas is a cool part of town to hang out.

Its hot as balls here right now.

#america'sfinestcity
#yepdatsright
9/2/2017 9:57am
Ha i was in SD a year ago exactly. Went to La Jolla for some sea lion kayaking which was cool. In the city itself i had a night out in Gaslamp district which was cool too. Good food & drinks Cool
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
9/3/2017 6:18pm
There is an arcade bar in North Park that's a blast, and there is a carne asada fry restaurant next to Pet Co that will rock your world.
rpoint116
9/6/2017 8:35am
I hear there is a Hepatitis outbreak in SD. No bueno.
RandyRotta
9/6/2017 10:28am
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! We ended up checking out the USS Midway, which was pretty awesome! Got some fish tacos at Mitch's, checked out some cool breweries (Modern Times, Saint Archer, Stone in Escondido), and did an awesome hike at Torrey Pines.

Being from Burbank, it was funny hearing the locals complain about the 90 degree heat wave...we'd kill for that during the summer lol.

Post a reply to: Things to Do in San Diego

The Latest